Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

piL posted:

Not even stuffed cabbage?

Like cabbage dolma? I don't think it's uniquely slavic, nor particularly popular wherever it exists.

Maybe stuffed bell peppers, but probably not those either.

piL posted:

That was meant to be a response to the "nothing in common with Polish or Russian" part of the statement, not evidence of "Slavic" food. And I was being cheeky.
Ah, well.

Then there's more in common of course, like pierogi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I miss Arab food from Germany :( it’s so much worse here

We do have a bunch of good caucasus food to make up for it though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arzachel posted:

We do have a bunch of good caucasus food to make up for it though

I wouldn't use “a bunch” to quantify its availability in Riga, but not quite all is lost, I agree. loving lamb prices here though, Jesus Christ.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://fakty.tvn24.pl/ogladaj-online,60/bratanki-w-niezgodzie-warszawa-i-budapeszt-stoja-po-odmiennych-stronach-barykady,1113845.html

Polish-Hungarian rift is basically official. The anti-race mixing comments, Orban’s outright pro-Russian stance and Hungary’s willingness to go the extra mile for Russian gas led to a total breakdown of the Polish-Hungarian anti-EU alliance. In Poland, only the far-far-right (the pro-Russian one) still maintains there’s some sort of a sacred bond between the two countries.

Both Poland and Hungary cooperated in sabotaging the EU’s drive to maintain the rule of law. There’s some hope now that Morawiecki, Poland’s prime minister, will back out of promoting the European far-right, especially since every politician he invited to Warsaw last year as part of the new European right revival drive turned out to be pro-Russian in the invasion of Ukraine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Mokotow posted:

Stuffing poo poo into cabbage rolls is popular all over Asia and the Levant and there is no indication it came from EE.

All food is good

there I said it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

All food is good

there I said it

Olives are not good then

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1553784578611023874

split between the immune disorder bit being a bit of misdirection and donning hazmat suits just being a standard precaution any time a prominent Russian suddenly falls ill abroad at this point

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Olives are not good then

Mayo too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mushrooms are pretty gross too. Which is a problem because they loving love sticking them everywhere here.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh boy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Mushrooms are pretty gross too. Which is a problem because they loving love sticking them everywhere here.

:pwn:

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mushrooms (all of them) are basically the single greatest thing, great poison, great drug, great food

all around versatility

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Ban this sick filth.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Goons when we don't talk about food:

:glomp:

Goons when we do:

:glompoff:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Based on the above, how about a combination of mushrooms, olives and mayo?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

https://theolivescene.com/recipes/2015/7/8/mushroom-mayonnaise

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

There’s a mildly popular salad like that here. Mushrooms, corn, chicken, and mayo - sometimes changing meat, or adding olives, egg. Extremely vile poo poo.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Olives are fine, it just depends on what you eat them with. I like mine with gin.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I see the mushroom brain fungus already got to you all. Sorry to hear that!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

That sound proper vile, there is also a shitton of stuff in that recipe that will cover up the Porcini taste over mundane stuff like the mustard or the balsamic vinegar.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Add some capers and mustard to the mix, chop everything all tiny, mix with the mayo and you've got yourself a very satisfying somewhat vegetarian sandwich filling. And use some proper funky-tasting funghi you picked from the woods behind your house instead of supermarket white button mushrooms.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

You people must have led stomachs. Funghi destroys mine.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Salted mushrooms, onion and smetana (or creme fraiche). Thats how you make the Finnish mushroom "salad".
:discourse:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

:getout:

You are no longer welcome in EE :colbert:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mushroom Exclusionary Eastern Europeans itt.

Good mushroom:

1. Oyster Mushroom sliced in wedges and fried a'la wiener schnitzel
2. Chanterelle in runny scrambled eggs
3. Field Mushroom wedges sautéed and tossed with lemon juice

Absolute masterclass
1. Red Pine Mushroom sautéed in butter with salt and pepper
2. Parasol Mushroom fried whole a'la wiener schnitzel (good luck not dying, since it looks abut the same like the deadliest mushroom of them all)

Give me none of any of the following (a.k.a. i reject my eastern european heritage):

- marinated slimy poo poo mushroom
- mushroom soup of any kind
- pedestrian poo poo like the dreaded common mushroom in any form

haven't tried truffles, don't care.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
As an aside it's a great time for going mushroom picking into the forrest, saw tons of people with buckets of foxies/"chanterelles" around

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Mushroom Exclusionary Eastern Europeans itt.

Good mushroom:

1. Oyster Mushroom sliced in wedges and fried a'la wiener schnitzel
2. Chanterelle in runny scrambled eggs
3. Field Mushroom wedges sautéed and tossed with lemon juice

Absolute masterclass
1. Red Pine Mushroom sautéed in butter with salt and pepper
2. Parasol Mushroom fried whole a'la wiener schnitzel (good luck not dying, since it looks abut the same like the deadliest mushroom of them all)

Give me none of any of the following (a.k.a. i reject my eastern european heritage):

- marinated slimy poo poo mushroom
- mushroom soup of any kind
- pedestrian poo poo like the dreaded common mushroom in any form

haven't tried truffles, don't care.

You forgot fresh porcini sliced over bruschettas, which are a killer aperitif. The fried parasol is honestly mundane and subpar(if it’s not fresh it’s like eating cardboard), esp given the risk of grabbing a lepiota muscata if you don’t know the difference.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Finland lies between east and west wrt mushrooms in that Karelians had more similar habits with Russians and were fond of milk-caps which require boiling to remove the bitterness. In the western parts milk-caps were generally not appreciated and the focus was more on boletes and chanterelle. This division isn't so sharp nowadays because many Karelians were evacuated during WW2 to the western Finland along with their culinary habits.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

The fried parasol is honestly mundane and subpar(if it’s not fresh it’s like eating cardboard), esp given the risk of grabbing a lepiota muscata if you don’t know the difference.

I think I only ate them fresh since you have to pick it yourself. Lmao if you trust a roadside vendor with your liver and/or life.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I think I only ate them fresh since you have to pick it yourself. Lmao if you trust a roadside vendor with your liver and/or life.

I meant fetching one that was a bit stale, not out of a shop (most vendors here don't touch them due to the risk of grabbing a killer one)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 1, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFOsGJlwC_Y

It's this time of year again. The Warsaw uprising was both fantastically heroic and ultimately criminal, in that it had no chance of succeeding. Around 200 thousand civilians were killed and Warsaw was turned to rubble. It's hard for me as a Pole born in Warsaw not to be extremely conflicted about this event.

The Russians were chasing the Germans back to Berlin. Poles in Warsaw knew that if Russia takes the city, the hard-won independence of 1918 after 123 years of servitude will be lost. Would there even be a Polish state, had the uprising not taken place? No-one knows, maybe it would have resulted in Poland being sucked right into USSR outright.

Post-war Russian propaganda perceived the uprising as anti-Soviet, so criticizing its leadership is often perceived as pro-Russian. I feel the decision to start the uprising was wrong, and followed a series of similar ill-fated uprisings (so-called January and November uprisings in the XIX century). It's also highjacked by nationalists, who try to use this anniversary as an opportunity to manifest their xenophobia (the flares visible in the August 1st videos are a sign of this - known from football stadiums where modern nationalism breeds).

In all this, the city sirens sounding at 17:00 every year on August 1st and everyone in the city stopping for a minute is a constant, and you're free to make of that minute what you will.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I actually have no ideas what the mushrooms are called in english, but edible Boletus(es?) are the superior mushroom option.

Also marinated shrooms are great.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Soo Serbian ministers really doing the “denazification” speech, huh 🤔
ref: https://rs.n1info.com/english/news/serbian-ruling-party-mp-serbia-might-have-to-begin-denazification-of-balkans/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:staredog:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Serbia is likely going to learn very fast that doing that poo poo without nukes stockpiles is a good way to have your capital and every urban centre turned into a crater.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That's some bloodthirsty reactions to right wing fuckers doing right wing political poo poo.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I hated mushrooms for like 25 years. Not so much the taste, but more the consistency.
Except mushrooms fried in breadcrumbs for some reason.

My mother tho, she kept making mushroom soup every time when I visited saying "I know its your favourite!", after a while I just gave up protesting. So now I eat all kinds, and its fine.

In other news.
Guess who is attending CPAC in Texas this week.

SlowBloke posted:

Serbia is likely going to learn very fast that doing that poo poo without nukes stockpiles is a good way to have your capital and every urban centre turned into a crater.

Serbia just doesn't learn from getting bombed by a superior military force. Apparently.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I can take or leave mushrooms, I don't particularly care for them. I could go for a good leisurely mushroom or berry picking romp through the woods tho, ticks be damned.

I'm honestly somewhere between genuinely worried and morbidly curious as to what the start of the heating season and rising bills will mean for the Baltics. Well, Europe in general, but Baltics in particular. It probably won't be good at all.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

a podcast for cats posted:

I can take or leave mushrooms, I don't particularly care for them. I could go for a good leisurely mushroom or berry picking romp through the woods tho, ticks be damned.

I'm honestly somewhere between genuinely worried and morbidly curious as to what the start of the heating season and rising bills will mean for the Baltics. Well, Europe in general, but Baltics in particular. It probably won't be good at all.

I would guess fuel/gas rationing and in extreme cases mandatory power cutoffs at certain times. Also useless individual responsibility stuff like demanding lowered maximum temps in houses with no checks whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

I would guess fuel/gas rationing and in extreme cases mandatory power cutoffs at certain times. Also useless individual responsibility stuff like demanding lowered maximum temps in houses with no checks whatsoever.

Start of the heating season is two months after the upcoming elections, so it’s definitely going to be interesting.