Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mx. posted:

excuse me what

Which part of this was unclear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

christmas boots posted:

Which part of this was unclear?

If I'm being honest, the part about the flu tasting like vinegar.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

ASU college of English looking... solid?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FWId1YBU3g

Interesting video on the true crime community

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy poo poo, they've identified the Somerton Man, and "Jestyn" had absolutely nothing to do with it.
(from the NY Times, gently caress them)

quote:

Two researchers using forensic genealogy put a name to the so-called Somerton Man this week, saying they had finally solved the central mystery of an Australian cold case that has stymied investigators for 73 years and inspired theories about spies, smuggling, ballet and teeth.

The police in South Australia, who exhumed the man’s body last year, have not verified the identity and said they had no update to give on their own investigation. A spokesperson said they would comment after the results of forensic testing had been received.

But the researchers — an Australian professor of biomedical engineering who has studied the case for over a decade, and an American genetic genealogist whose company works on cold cases in many countries — say they have made a breakthrough. The name they came up with eliminates at least one leading theory, which linked the man to a woman the police interviewed in the 1940s, if not also the more colorful ideas about espionage and codes.

“We’re just saying this is what the DNA tells us,” the professor, Derek Abbott, who works at the University of Adelaide, said in an interview. “It’s up to the cops to make the legal determination of who this guy was.”

He and the genealogist, Colleen Fitzpatrick, president of Identifinders International, said that they began putting the puzzle together in February, thanks to recent advances in extracting DNA from rootless hair.

The hair itself had been caught in a plaster cast of the man’s face that was made more than half a century ago by investigators who hoped someone might recognize him.

The man had been found dead in December 1948, lying against a sea wall on Somerton Beach, near Adelaide in South Australia. He was dressed in a jacket and tie that had their tags cut off; a partly smoked cigarette lay on his collar; and his pockets held unused train and bus tickets, chewing gum, cigarettes, a box of matches, two combs and a scrap of paper. It had a line of type reading “tamám shud,” meaning “finished” in Persian.

At a train station not far away, the police found a suitcase that they traced to the man. In the suitcase, some of the clothing and a laundry bag had “T. KEANE” or “KEANE” written on it, but the police found no one unaccounted for by that name.

After the case gained publicity months later, a man turned in a classic book of Persian poetry, “Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam,” that he said he found in his car, its last page torn out and letters scribbled on its back cover.

An autopsy could not determine a cause of death, though it found an enlarged spleen and a liver in poor condition, leading to speculation of poison, though no trace of any was found.

Over the decades, the allure of the Somerton Man mystery grew around Australia and then among internet sleuths worldwide.

Some speculated that he was involved in the black market (because of the clipped labels and a boom in postwar smuggling); that he was a spy (because of Cold War tensions and the code-like letters); or that he was a former ballet dancer (because he had unusually strong calf muscles). Some wondered if his relatives might be found because of his distinctive ears and teeth.

By 2011, Dr. Abbott had spent years looking into the case, and he said the police let him take about 50 hairs from the death mask for analysis. In 2012 and 2018, he said, the University of Adelaide extracted some DNA from the hair. This February, Dr. Abbott and Dr. Fitzpatrick finally pulled enough with the help of a California company, Astrea Forensics, to begin a real search.

Using GEDmatch, a genealogical research site that was also used in the Golden State Killer case, they found a distant cousin on the Somerton Man’s paternal side. They then built out a family tree of more than 4,000 people.

“You find out who some of them are, you play with their details — it’s like Sudoku,” Dr. Fitzpatrick said in an interview. “You try and find the top match.”

As early as March, they noticed a man named Carl Webb, who went by Charles, with no date or documentation of death. They looked for historical documents, like electoral rolls, and began trying to vet some of the details contained in them. They found that Mr. Webb was born in 1905 in Victoria — the state that the police, in the ’40s, believed the Somerton Man was from — and had worked as an electrical engineer and instrument maker.

They also learned that his sister, who lived near his home in Melbourne, was married to a man named Thomas Keane.

But they needed more, and kept working with the DNA. They traced the man through his mother’s line to find a living relative and triangulate a match.

“In all this soup and ocean of DNA cousins, we were able to connect one of them to Carl’s father and one of them to Carl’s mother,” Dr. Fitzpatrick said. “You really kind of narrow it down so much it could be any one of Carl’s siblings — but Carl is the one with no documented death.”

Dr. Abbott said it was a first cousin, three times removed, in Australia, whose matching DNA provided a final clue. Between the DNA and the historical documents, he said, “we knew we had it.”

Through documents, Dr. Abbott and Dr. Fitzpatrick learned that Mr. Webb appreciated and wrote poetry, and enjoyed betting on horse racing — suggesting that the letters in the poetry book were allusions to the names of horses. They also learned that he left his wife, Dorothy Robertson, in 1947, and that at some point she filed for divorce and by 1951 had moved to the town of Bute, South Australia.

Both researchers said many major questions needed to be resolved, like the cause of death, what brought the man to Somerton Beach, and what his life was like. They are hoping that surviving relatives might provide more documents or accounts to fill in those gaps.

“There’s still lots of ongoing interesting research to do about his circumstances and who he was,” Dr. Abbott said. “That’s still on the to-do list.”

Their conclusion does knock out one theory that had entangled Dr. Abbott’s personal life with the Somerton mystery.

In 2009, he tried to find a woman whom the police interviewed in their original investigation because of a phone number in the poetry book. She had died, however, as had her son, a professional ballet dancer whose distinctive teeth and ears resembled the Somerton Man’s. Dr. Abbott managed to interview that man’s daughter, Rachel Egan, a meeting that led to courtship and then marriage in 2010.

Now, if the researchers are correct and it was indeed Charles Webb whose body was found on the beach all those decades ago, those physical features were just a bizarre coincidence, and Ms. Egan is not the granddaughter of the Somerton Man.

“I’m waiting for Derek to file divorce papers,” she said.

Her husband offered a quick clarification.

“She’s kidding,” he said.

I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed to have this one solved.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a CIA coverup

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo, they've identified the Somerton Man, and "Jestyn" had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed to have this one solved.

He was a random guy who died on a beach. No secrets, just complete incompetence and conspiracy theories that were all, completely and utterly wrong.

I presume the Netflix series is coming out next year.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Comstar posted:

He was a random guy who died on a beach. No secrets, just complete incompetence and conspiracy theories that were all, completely and utterly wrong.

I presume the Netflix series is coming out next year.
"we know his name now, but who killed him? That's right, my father George Hodel"

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat, red herrings galore. But I've been fascinated by this case since the day I stumbled onto the Wikipedia page and was terrified by the header photo so glad to see it solved.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

This murder happened four years before I was born and is local. My dad and I were talking about it today after we rode our motorcycles past the area where the truck was found.

https://youtu.be/xhCjDLnXj1o

A very tragic and eerie case.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

FishBulbia has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Jul 31, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

FishBulbia posted:

It sucks that the amount of time you can waste on a videogame has become a proxy measure for how fun/enjoyable it is

Sir or ma'am, are you in the right thread?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Tenkaris posted:

Sir or ma'am, are you in the right thread?

whoops

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is unnerving that the amount of time you can waste on a videogame has become a proxy measure for how fun/enjoyable it is

FTFY

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Unnerving? Related to time spent playing video games? Why not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF9vd31drIc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A dispute between two idiot kids playing Call of Duty led to a totally unrelated guy who was adopted father of his orphaned niece and nephew getting murdered by police. Later one of them committed suicide, having not recovered from being hauled out of her home at gunpoint and literally having to step over her father figure as he lay bleeding out. No EMS called of course, just cops with guns storming the home. Admittedly, yet another ACAB problem rather than a gaming problem. But the two gamer kids and the actual swatter all got jail time while the cop who committed the murder is still free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Wichita_swatting

There was also Stanislav Reshetnikov/Stas Reeplay. Russian streamer who liked to livestream abusive "pranks" on his girlfriend. He hilariously locked her out of the house in nothing but lingerie, while she was pregnant with his kid. She froze to death, and he kept streaming for hours with her body dragged back into the house before someone in the chat called the cops. In this case at least he got arrested and is in prison for murder.

Ngl it's got me shook how toxic gaming culture has a body count, that I'm sure is higher than just three.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ngl it's got me shook how toxic gaming culture has a body count, that I'm sure is higher than just three.

Do we count swatting?

Also I finally had to stop notifications from Reddit because it's been a few weeks where I get alerted to a thread about the latest accidental child gunshot murder or some other hosed up incident, three to four times a day. I can't remember the last time I got a notification for something I wanted to see

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

FireWorksWell posted:

Do we count swatting?

Gee I dunno did he talk about swatting in the post you quoted??

It is weird though, I haven't really heard of swatting happening outside of gamer circles. Like most swattings have happened to streamers.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Aug 1, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Tenkaris posted:

Gee I dunno did he talk about swatting in the post you quoted?

Wow, I didn't put it together even though they used the word swatted...I feel real dumb.

As for your other question I'm willing to bet it's happened outside of gaming, it just isn't as easy to notice because it's not happening to a streamer. Like how we had that incident in 2020 where a black man (I wanna say Christian Cooper) was out bird watching, asked a woman to leash up her dog, and the woman instead called the cops and lied that the man was threatening her. She made sure to inform them the man was black, which I think fits the nature of swatting.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A dispute between two idiot kids playing Call of Duty led to a totally unrelated guy who was adopted father of his orphaned niece and nephew getting murdered by police. Later one of them committed suicide, having not recovered from being hauled out of her home at gunpoint and literally having to step over her father figure as he lay bleeding out. No EMS called of course, just cops with guns storming the home. Admittedly, yet another ACAB problem rather than a gaming problem. But the two gamer kids and the actual swatter all got jail time while the cop who committed the murder is still free.

The guy who requested the swatting had the username "swautistic". gently caress him to hell and back, but credit where credit is due. If you're an internet poisoned dipshit who routinely swats people, "swautistic" is a great name.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Took me a minute to parse that wasn't a swastika reference, but that probably still tracks

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The good news is that the cop is facing a civil trial from the family for his gently caress-up. The bad yet unsurprising news is that the department actually promoted him to detective since 2017. The slightly funny news is that one of the cop’s lawyers is named Steven Pigg.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haven_(TV_series)

The show based on the Stephen King book based on the Tamam Shud corpse.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Tenkaris posted:

Gee I dunno did he talk about swatting in the post you quoted??

It is weird though, I haven't really heard of swatting happening outside of gamer circles. Like most swattings have happened to streamers.

The cybercrime/security researcher Brian Krebs has been swatted a few times I believe. It is apparently so common he is on first name basis with the local PD response team. When he was reporting on Silk Road etc he often had heroin and other drugs mailed to his house and then the cops would be tipped off that he had drugs.

Varkk has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Aug 1, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There was also Stanislav Reshetnikov/Stas Reeplay. Russian streamer who liked to livestream abusive "pranks" on his girlfriend. He hilariously locked her out of the house in nothing but lingerie, while she was pregnant with his kid. She froze to death, and he kept streaming for hours with her body dragged back into the house before someone in the chat called the cops. In this case at least he got arrested and is in prison for murder.

You missed the worst part: the dispute was over a bet for $1.50. Viner literally tried to have Gaskill murdered for the price of a can of Coke.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A 12 year old girl chewed through restraints and fled from a house where 2 bodies were found.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/03/us/alabama-kidnapping-leads-to-corpse-discovery/index.html

Suspect is named and in custody. But eeeh also

quote:

The sheriff further stated that "other people" were living in the residence.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"She wasn't reported missing" could be one of two disturbing outcomes of this.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Only 2 disturbing outcomes, lol newb.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There was also Stanislav Reshetnikov/Stas Reeplay. Russian streamer who liked to livestream abusive "pranks" on his girlfriend. He hilariously locked her out of the house in nothing but lingerie, while she was pregnant with his kid. She froze to death

That was the initial reporting but the autopsy showed he just beat her to death. She died of head injuries.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Turns out that the perpetrator was the mom's boyfriend and the two other bodies were that of her mother and brother. :(

The current main suspect of the Delphi murders (The "down the hill" audio clip murders) just got sentenced to 90 years for kidnapping and doing not very nice things to a 9 year old girl. Of course, content warning for not good stuff a violent pedophile would do to a child except murder.
https://lawandcrime.com/crime/indiana-man-sentenced-to-90-years-for-kidnapping-and-trying-to-kill-girl-in-graphic-and-unimaginable-crime/

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Discovery+ has made a documentary about Armie Hammer’s light-speed fall from Hollywood’s Favorite New Hunk to Sleazy Violent Cannibal Freak.

CW for mention of rape and abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQ80m7831I

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Busket Posket posted:

Discovery+ has made a documentary about Armie Hammer’s light-speed fall from Hollywood’s Favorite New Hunk to Sleazy Violent Cannibal Freak.

CW for mention of rape and abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQ80m7831I
Lol. Dude could have gone on being a dumb, cruel, wannabe cannibal, trust fund kid for the rest of his life with impunity, but instead he just had to become an actor and blow up his weird rear end ghoul family instead. Can't wait to finally see a picture of his dad's, creepy sex throne thingy.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
his character in sorry to bother you was basically just him, huh

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to a great podcast called Dark Histories (no relation to Dark History with Bailey Sarian; this is written and hosted by an English guy named Ben Cutmore), and in Sept 2019 there was an episode on Graham Young, the "Teacup Poisoner".

That wikipedia article is pretty thorough (TL;DR -- Young became obsessed with poisons at a very young age and proceeded to poison his whole family, his school friends and classmates, his fellow patients at a mental hospital, his coworkers, and his fellow inmates after he was imprisoned, until he was found dead in his prison cell from an apparent heart attack), but it kind of glosses over how bizarrely compulsory his poisonings were. Like a compulsive liar or compulsive fire starter, everywhere the guy went, he was slipping poisons into people's food. Even his friends, even people he liked, even when it was against his best interest. When his coworkers at a chemical lab all started getting sick and a workplace safety inspection concluded that everyone just had a stomach bug, Young argued with the conclusion and insisted that everyone's symptoms were clearly signs of poisoning -- this is what led to him getting investigated, arrested, and then convicted for murder and attempted murder. And even after that, in prison, he kept on poisoning people right and left. It's like the guy genuinely just couldn't help himself.

What was so interesting about this story to me was that, like Young, I too was very interested in poisons as a kid. When I was around 10, my parents took me to a university library book sale and I bought a manual of toxicology published in the 1920s. It quickly became my new favorite book for the next few years -- I read it cover to cover many times over, worked on memorizing the fatal doses and the symptoms pre- and post- mortem of all the poisons listed, wrote short stories about people who were poisoned, etc. But all of this was because the book made me want to become a toxicologist, not a poisoner. I came from a dysfunctional family and was underparented and left unsupervised a lot -- a good breeding ground to turn me into someone like Young -- but it never occurred to me to use all this knowledge to harm anyone, and instead, all my fantasies involved helping people and solving crimes.

Young being a Bizarro-World Me has left me wondering about Nature vs. Nurture, and is it that there was something in me that protected me from becoming like Young, or did Young lack something in him that prevented him from becoming like me?

E: I guess the answer to that is, "Yeah -- a conscience." :v:

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Aug 15, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of the loving deranged NYT probably story where someone recounts how their grandmother casually poisoned everyone in the family and random animals and visitors and how when she got senile everyone would just dust the rat poison off the tops of the bottles like it was no thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the loving deranged NYT probably story where someone recounts how their grandmother casually poisoned everyone in the family and random animals and visitors and how when she got senile everyone would just dust the rat poison off the tops of the bottles like it was no thing.

Vice.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/avywv4/my-grandma-the-poisoner-0000474-v21n10

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've been listening to a great podcast called Dark Histories (no relation to Dark History with Bailey Sarian; this is written and hosted by an English guy named Ben Cutmore), and in Sept 2019 there was an episode on Graham Young, the "Teacup Poisoner".

That wikipedia article is pretty thorough (TL;DR -- Young became obsessed with poisons at a very young age and proceeded to poison his whole family, his school friends and classmates, his fellow patients at a mental hospital, his coworkers, and his fellow inmates after he was imprisoned, until he was found dead in his prison cell from an apparent heart attack), but it kind of glosses over how bizarrely compulsory his poisonings were. Like a compulsive liar or compulsive fire starter, everywhere the guy went, he was slipping poisons into people's food. Even his friends, even people he liked, even when it was against his best interest. When his coworkers at a chemical lab all started getting sick and a workplace safety inspection concluded that everyone just had a stomach bug, Young argued with the conclusion and insisted that everyone's symptoms were clearly signs of poisoning -- this is what led to him getting investigated, arrested, and then convicted for murder and attempted murder. And even after that, in prison, he kept on poisoning people right and left. It's like the guy genuinely just couldn't help himself.

What was so interesting about this story to me was that, like Young, I too was very interested in poisons as a kid. When I was around 10, my parents took me to a university library book sale and I bought a manual of toxicology published in the 1920s. It quickly became my new favorite book for the next few years -- I read it cover to cover many times over, worked on memorizing the fatal doses and the symptoms pre- and post- mortem of all the poisons listed, wrote short stories about people who were poisoned, etc. But all of this was because the book made me want to become a toxicologist, not a poisoner. I came from a dysfunctional family and was underparented and left unsupervised a lot -- a good breeding ground to turn me into someone like Young -- but it never occurred to me to use all this knowledge to harm anyone, and instead, all my fantasies involved helping people and solving crimes.

Young being a Bizarro-World Me has left me wondering about Nature vs. Nurture, and is it that there was something in me that protected me from becoming like Young, or did Young lack something in him that prevented him from becoming like me?

E: I guess the answer to that is, "Yeah -- a conscience." :v:

I find Graham Young kinda fascinating as well. The guy seemingly couldn't resist poisoning everyone around him. He did it to his family, to himself, to the inmates, guards and medical staff at Broadmoor, to some random guy as soon as he was released, his colleagues at the chemical lab he somehow got a job at after release and eventually probably himself. Iirc when he was sent down for the second time they had to keep moving him & searching his cells because he absolutely would just continue to poison people if given the slightest opportunity.

There's a couple of dramatised versions of his life that I'm aware of: A Terrible Coldness, which is a TV drama and is very dour and serious, and The Young Poisoners Handbook, which is a black comedy. Neither is great, but it's interesting to compare them and the different conclusions they come to on his ultimately quite opaque motivations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

quote:

He found a job as a storekeeper at a factory in Bovingdon, Hertfordshire, where his duties including making tea for his colleagues.

Yes let's give the rehabilitated compulsive poisoner work as a dude preparing food.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Yes let's give the rehabilitated compulsive poisoner work as a dude preparing food.

That's the thing, they weren't told about his convictions. It only came out when the police got involved. They just thought he was a benign weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Incredible