Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Regarding child chat and having kids to take care of you when you're older (or having a circle of friends that can check in on you)… the head of my studio stopped by and dropped off these goodies since I've still quarantined:

Sometimes it's nice to be reminded people are concerned about your well-being. :unsmith:

I think counting on your kids to take care of you is a hell of a gamble. Like, my parents helped a lot with their's, but the rest of my family wouldn't have been able to step up on the same because they're all gently caress ups. If that's your major thought about having kids you're probably better off just socking away that DINK money so you can pay someone to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

When the gently caress did McDonalds become more expensive than Arbys? 30 bucks for a quarter pounder, 2 McDoubles and 2 kids meals….. you’re fuckin McDonald’s

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Also a few metric tons of water broke little dam
I had put a 70 lb stone there and it made a noise when it shot out

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Hopefully away from your house

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm watching Leverage: Redemption and the villain in one episode is an Elon Musk analog that's also a literal Nazi.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlindSite posted:

Give yourself a month to adjust to the setting. Do your job and leave it all in the office.
This.

Don't take your work home.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

My attention span is so bad I might just straight up have ADHD.

My secret of getting through the workday is to spend 5 minutes of every hour working and the rest pacing / cooking / doing light exercises / browing SA / browsing twitter / listening to music or podcasts.

Studies show that per hour we should be doing 40 minutes of intense, focused work and 20 minutes of rest/leisure. That pace is perfect for an 8-10 hour day (not counting professions like healthcare and systems monitoring where constant supervision is neccessary) and what you should be doing to prevent burnout, basic errors, and increase productivity.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, just to do some teaching for Fiz, there are only 2 movement disorders that persist while sleeping, one of which mainly manifest while sleeping and is the easy one to get.

The Lewy Body case is super distrubing, especially because I have a history of sleep walking (not a movement disorder). Its like getting blackout drunk in the middle of the night. You go to bed, but then wake up and for some reason you put your moms purse in the freezer, took a shower, cooked and ate a full meal, did dishes, and also decided to pee in living room where you thought there was a toilet, and tried to flush the couch, but then went to bed. All while completely sober. Actually my issue with sleep walking is that I would take a bottle of liquor and just chug it straight, which both exacerbated the sleep walking and resulted in more chaos because I was now a drunk sleepwalker and I also drank a bottle of something like Pappy 15 in my sleep...

swickles fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 1, 2022

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Man, nosebleeds in the shower are always an adventure.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thanks for the advice y’all. I’ve never had a regular schedule in my entire adult working life and it scares the hell out of me but it would be better for home life to mirror my wife’s schedule. It’s training-adjacent, which is cool.

I’m just used to eating meals in the cab of a truck between calls and sleeping on park benches when we get a break. It’s going to be a big adjustment. Also, my language :ohdear:

I got beat out for a similar position once before and I was pretty devastated—I’m trying not to get too enthused as a reflexive protective action I guess. Gonna be a big week, one way or the other.

I told myself if I lay it all out there and get passed over this time, my next step will be concrete action to get out of EMS. So one way or another, I’m going to be making some life changes.

swickles posted:

Actually my issue with sleep walking is that I would take a bottle of liquor and just chug it straight, which both exacerbated the sleep walking and resulted in more chaos because I was now a drunk sleepwalker and I also drank a bottle of something like Pappy 15 in my sleep...

:staredog:

That could be really inconvenient for your workday.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 1, 2022

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Thanks for the advice y’all. I’ve never had a regular schedule in my entire adult working life and it scares the hell out of me but it would be better for home life to mirror my wife’s schedule. It’s training-adjacent, which is cool.

I’m just used to eating meals in the cab of a truck between calls and sleeping on park benches when we get a break. It’s going to be a big adjustment. Also, my language :ohdear:

I got beat out for a similar position once before and I was pretty devastated—I’m trying not to get too enthused as a reflexive protective action I guess. Gonna be a big week, one way or the other.

I told myself if I lay it all out there and get passed over this time, my next step will be concrete action to get out of EMS. So one way or another, I’m going to be making some life changes.

:staredog:

That could be really inconvenient for your workday.

Yeah for sure. Thankfully waking up drunk and with things strewn about was enough of a warning to avoid practicing medicine while hammered. Also have security cams to back it up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I am interviewing for an office position next week and I am experiencing a crushing amount of impostor syndrome.

Being a loving salty stray cat for 13 years makes me feel like I can't function in an office setting. I'm qualified, but holy poo poo the doubt is running deeeeeep.

I’ve been in office settings for about 10ish years now, and I’m very much not an “office” type of person whatever that is outside of work, so sometimes the whole professional culture can sometimes still feel weird, but it’s whatever. Also you’ll likely find that most people in an office are dumb as gently caress, have like an 8th grade level comprehension of reading and grammar, and can barely open and work in an Excel spreadsheet.

You’ll be great! Also the stability can get a little boring and stale but overall it’s nice.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am condo shopping.

There is a decently sized, well constructed, top floor condo with a terrific view that is somehow within my budget.

The site location is poop because the closest walkable amenities are like 20 minutes away. It’s also next to an area with a lot of community members who are suffering from houselessness. That doesn’t bother me but I think it would bother other folks. The site location also has the benefit of being central to the city, so even though there’s nothing walkable, it’s not hard to get to other areas of the city.

Unsure if I want to put in an offer. I like it and there’s always going to be trade offs at my budget in this market. There almost certainly never be another condo in my budget with this combination of size and view.

In conclusion, thank you for reading.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

swickles posted:

Studies show that per hour we should be doing 40 minutes of intense, focused work and 20 minutes of rest/leisure. That pace is perfect for an 8-10 hour day (not counting professions like healthcare and systems monitoring where constant supervision is neccessary) and what you should be doing to prevent burnout, basic errors, and increase productivity.

well you're the doctor, so i will do as you suggest

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
These EMMI things in Metroid Dread are hot bullshit

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
LeeMajors just talk about how working for a decade+ as an EMT taught you how to perform in high-pressure situations, office middle managers eat that poo poo up even though you will never have a life or death situation on your hands working a desk job.

Having made the switch from a lab bench to a desk several years ago, I think the thing every office manager wants out of a potential employee is reliability. Respond to emails, show up to meetings, and demonstrate a passing interest in the "big picture" of your company/industry (even if you don't have any interest in practice) and you're already ahead of most office folks. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Paramedic to RN programs exist and will at least give you a set schedule and keep you out of an office and probably you a giant pay raise. I know a guy in my department who did that and seems happy with it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Joey Freshwater posted:

These EMMI things in Metroid Dread are hot bullshit

They are really tough to evade, I can't count how many times I entered a zone and one was either on screen or barely off-screen.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

swickles posted:

I like how this also parallels Tabata/HIIT exercises (high intensity movement for 20 or 40 seconds followed by 10 or 20 seconds of rest).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Paramedic to RN programs exist and will at least give you a set schedule and keep you out of an office and probably you a giant pay raise. I know a guy in my department who did that and seems happy with it.

People really have no idea how much nurses get paid.

In North Carolina, paramedic to nurse would be a pay DECREASE.

Fort sanders Regional medical center in Knoxville wage for starting nurses? 18.50

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/nocontextbrits/status/1554126870832111618?s=21&t=po76tI7crsGLDFwbsfLSmg

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manoueverable posted:

They are really tough to evade, I can't count how many times I entered a zone and one was either on screen or barely off-screen.

Obviously they get progressively harder but the purple one is just unfair

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I am getting dental work done for the first time in over a decade and man, I forgot how weird it feels when they numb your face up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also did this ever get posted in here? Don’t click if squeamish, sound on.

https://twitter.com/atexan575/status/1551454710393180161?s=21&t=po76tI7crsGLDFwbsfLSmg

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah this position is within my department and it’s field-related at least. Most of the office folks have come from the field, but it’ll still be a big transition for me.

Paramedic to RN is less common than you’d think and to make any money a BSN tends to be required in most hospital settings.

I probably will just go back to school and finish up the bachelors so I don’t feel like an abject failure forever—even if I get this promotion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Love to log into work and find that my permissions for our CMS have been reset and I need to beg IT to fix them.

Thanks, VMware.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Also did this ever get posted in here? Don’t click if squeamish, sound on.

https://twitter.com/atexan575/status/1551454710393180161?s=21&t=po76tI7crsGLDFwbsfLSmg

HA

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

I am interviewing for an office position next week and I am experiencing a crushing amount of impostor syndrome.

Being a loving salty stray cat for 13 years makes me feel like I can't function in an office setting. I'm qualified, but holy poo poo the doubt is running deeeeeep.

Been said already, but you are absolutely qualified and would do great. My guess is you will be surprised and/or annoyed at how much talking about doing things goes on in lieu of actually just doing things.

C-Euro is dead-on, a huge part of it is just showing up and being somewhat engaged. Write things down, follow-up, ask questions.

Not sure exactly what the day to day would be, but one huge thing is look for ways to make things easier for people who you make requests of. If you go out of your way to make their lives easier normally, they'll gladly help you out when it's urgent or short notice.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

People really have no idea how much nurses get paid.

In North Carolina, paramedic to nurse would be a pay DECREASE.

Fort sanders Regional medical center in Knoxville wage for starting nurses? 18.50

They are absolutely not paying RNs $18 an hour even entry level ones

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy poo poo shock is a hell of a thing. Dude acted like i did when i dropped a cell phone in a New York gutter drain thing. “Lost my goddamn pinky dammit!!”

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Sheesh that splatter of blood on the sharks mouth sure is something.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

They are absolutely not paying RNs $18 an hour even entry level ones

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Fort_Sanders_Regional_Medical_Center/Hourly_Rate

Ex started at 17.50 in 2019.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Average is $63k for new grads: https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/new-graduate-registered-nurse-salary/nc

That's ~$30/hour.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Poor unfortunate soul. :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was curious how things are going in Georgia right now

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1554107096852987905?s=20&t=1VaLAhA-B_C4JMGRU9hcLg

There’s a Georgia law that says events aren’t allowed to enforce their own gun bans.

So that’s neat.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

It really depends on location, system, and if they're a BSN or not. During one of my ER clinicals a few months back at a trauma center, the nurses were talking about picking up OT for the "extra hundred". I asked if that was $100 per pickup, and they said "No, per hour."

Find the right spot and they can get fuckin paid.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fort sanders is in Knoxville.

My hospital in NC right now is 25 for new baby nurses.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

It really depends on location, system, and if they're a BSN or not. During one of my ER clinicals a few months back at a trauma center, the nurses were talking about picking up OT for the "extra hundred". I asked if that was $100 per pickup, and they said "No, per hour."

Find the right spot and they can get fuckin paid.

Yes, BSN and RN are completely different.

And yes you can work the differentials. Ideally you don’t have that because it means one nurse is in an incredibly unsafe situation, for both them and the patients.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My aunt requires 24/7 care (severe mental disability, probably some form of severe non-verbal autism, but she was born before that was a recognized diagnosis) and lives in Idaho. I remember visiting her home and the nurse pay scale was posted and it would take like 5 years working there to get paid then Seattle minimum wage of $15.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

FizFashizzle posted:

Fort sanders is in Knoxville.

My hospital in NC right now is 25 for new baby nurses.

Ok, that changes it from $63k to $60k.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/new-graduate-registered-nurse-salary/asheville-nc

That's still ~$28/hour.

How did the pay change from $18.50 to $25 in three posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MrLogan posted:

Ok, that changes it from $63k to $60k.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/new-graduate-registered-nurse-salary/asheville-nc

That's still ~$28/hour.

How did the pay change from $18.50 to $25 in three posts?

You are doing good fact checking and I appreciate your posting