Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Larryb posted:

So who got a voice in the first episode out of curiosity and was it their usual actor/actress doing it?

Also how long are these episodes on average and how are they set up?

Molly, Scratch, Tilly and Cricket Green (plus a single line from Doofenshmirtz). They were all played by their VAs, but they're all from current shows so that's not surprising.

Setup is the chibis hosting a stage show, Muppets or House of Mouse style, using the already existing chibi shorts as segments. Episode was about 20 minutes and can be watched freely on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

YggiDee posted:

From what I remember, Tiny Toons is full of impenetrable references to 1950's celebrities (Morey Amsterdam? Really?) and Animaniacs will do something like an episode that's just Heart of Darkness, the documentary about making Apocalypse Now. I've probably mentioned them both before but they imprinted on my play-doughy child brain.

tiny toons is absolutely guilty of that, but i felt that animaniacs was much, much worse there. in fact, animaniacs in general seemed significantly more reliant on pop culture references (both dated and contemporary) than Tiny Toons. it's one of the reasons that, doing a rewatch, i felt TT aged quite a bit better, shockingly enough (also due to the fact that TT was waaaay less reliant on musical performances).

Larryb posted:

I remember Tiny Toons once had an entire episode devoted to songs older than the target audience (and another similar one devoted to They Might Be Giants songs)

i always thought those episodes were weird. you had stuff like Particle Man, It's In His Kiss, and Do You Love Me (which okay, those last two are kinda bangers imo), all songs made in the goddamned 60s, and they were portraying them as if that's what all the hip kids of the 90s were listening to. at least that episode completely dedicated to rap was actually relevant to that era.

Funky Valentine posted:

Dragon Ball references are to modern cartoons what specific Star Trek episode references are to cartoons from the late 90s-early 2000s.

not necessarily related to your post, but i was talking to a friend about the south park episode that did the whole parody on anime (stan being portrayed as ryu, i think?) and it made me realize that, while that episode came out in like 2004, and was seen as kind of a big deal at the time for specifically referencing anime, it also made me wonder:

has anyone done a proper satire of anime since then that wasn't just surface level poo poo like "haha, mouth flaps, limited animation" and "haha extended exaggerated yelling"?

Larryb posted:

I believe they go on a date in one episode and there’s at least one instance where Babs explicitly refers to Buster as her boyfriend but otherwise yeah, I don’t remember the show doing much in regards to actual romance between the two

there were multiple episodes where there was clear romantic interest that resulted them in an actual relationship, and several others that made it clear babs in particular, was crushing on buster (who sometimes didn't reciprocate).

another VA legend is gone

all those roles mentioned were great (and warner's nergal was leagues better than the guy who replaced him), but my favorite performance of his was one probably nobody remembers. it was in an episode of Mighty Max where he plays this extradimensional being called Talon, who was actually a giant skull carried around by an eagle/falcon, and went around eating souls. warner's performance in that role was stellar. he had the same imposing, authoritative voice, but there was also a touch of viciousness and malevolence that sets it apart from all the other roles he's done.

in fact, it was rewatching mighty max 15 years ago (holy poo poo :smith: ) that gave me a newfound respect for the guy.

he will greatly be missed :(

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oh and speaking of gargoyles, though this thread was worth posting:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1553313104326340608

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 1, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

I wish I had more time to rewatch Gargoyles. :( See if it holds up. Maybe my next project once my son finishes Avatar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

I wish I had more time to rewatch Gargoyles. :( See if it holds up. Maybe my next project once my son finishes Avatar.

I still enjoyed it quite a bit even if I'm not quite as enamored of Xanatos as I used to be (but he's not nearly as bad as Weisman would get with the "just as planned" thing on Young Justice), even if it gets a little rocky around the World Tour. Mostly because I start to miss the rest of the cast.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I still enjoyed it quite a bit even if I'm not quite as enamored of Xanatos as I used to be (but he's not nearly as bad as Weisman would get with the "just as planned" thing on Young Justice), even if it gets a little rocky around the World Tour. Mostly because I start to miss the rest of the cast.

That world tour thing is that the part with Golaith in the boat? That dragged so much originally. I think the show lost me for the most part back then.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I found out that we had HBO Max bundled in with our cable this whole time, figured I’d finally get around to watching Infinity Train after hearing so much about it, and just finished S3 yesterday.

Sweet Jesus :stonk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

Young Justice S3 and 4 really fix that whole "yessss... Just as THE LIGHT predicted..." BS. They shift it more to being about Vandal Savage long-term planning against Darkseid and Apokalypseand make the whole seriesinto shades of grey.

World Tour was cool but yeah major drag. The payoff, though?? :discourse:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Imagine a show where the lead human characters are a hispanic woman on the protagonists side and a white male capitalist as the primary antagonist. And there's an episode about gun safety! What a SJW-infested woke piece of trash that would be!

I hope some people do read that thread and have some sort of self-reflection about how they view media and politics from their youth as compared to those of today.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Potsticker posted:

Imagine a show where the lead human characters are a hispanic woman on the protagonists side and a white male capitalist as the primary antagonist. And there's an episode about gun safety! What a SJW-infested woke piece of trash that would be!

I hope some people do read that thread and have some sort of self-reflection about how they view media and politics from their youth as compared to those of today.

Actually Elisa is half African American and half Native American, not Hispanic

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Also Xanatos was a relatively dark skinned Greek man, and thus not white enough for chuds' tastes and cause them to scream "forced diversity!" over, depending on what aspect of their cognitive dissonance was rearing which of its ugly heads at any given moment.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Xanatos was a relatively dark skinned Greek man

was he? dunno about his mom, but his dad was scottish

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Was she not? That's egg on my face. :negative:
Apparently the character was designed to be, but that was changed after they cast her voice actor. I did not know that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Wikipedia posted:

David Xanatos started life as the son of Petros Xanatos, a Greek immigrant who worked as a fisherman in Bar Harbor, Maine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She does have a Hispanic last name however (it’s Spanish for “mace” apparently) but I assume that was just a holdover from the original plan

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

drrockso20 posted:

Which reflected the heritage of her VA, very unusual for the time! Another thing for them to whine about.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Her original surname would have been Chavez, when he ethnicity was changed to match her VA, her last name was sourced from mázasapa, the Sioux word for 'iron'.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Are you confusing Macbeth somewhere in here?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

huh. i could have sworn the guy was scottish

Potsticker posted:

Are you confusing Macbeth somewhere in here?

no, i know about macbeth. it's been quite a few years since i saw the episode with his father, so i may be misremembering the accent i heard as scottish

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzu3IT590h4&t=505s

Going back in time, putting a dollar in a safety deposit box so it can accumulate interest for 1000 years, and calling yourself a self-made man is cheating and I appreciate Papa Xanatos for not being impressed by his son’s bullshit.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Inkspot posted:

Going back in time, putting a dollar in a safety deposit box so it can accumulate interest for 1000 years, and calling yourself a self-made man is cheating and I appreciate Papa Xanatos for not being impressed by his son’s bullshit.

okay definitely not scottish

i stand corrected!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Inkspot posted:

I always love when a villain gets owned by some normal person who doesn't care about their poo poo.

Also, I'm irrationally peeved at the line/brag Xanatos does about how Goliath can't leave him in the past "because [he] didn't". That's not how the time loop works!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

I always love when a villain gets owned by some normal person who doesn't care about their poo poo.

Also, I'm irrationally peeved at the line/brag Xanatos does about how Goliath can't leave him in the past "because [he] didn't". That's not how the time loop works!

It makes sense, if he had been left in the past there would have been records of him being in the past. That they don’t exist means he was not left there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 2, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s also an episode where they pull a gargoyle from World War II into the present day to keep him from dying and there’s no time loop component. They’re just like “well, you died originally, but now you get to have adventures in the 90s.” Xanatos is just a confident idiot, but confidence is all you need 90% of the time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

There’s also an episode where they pull a gargoyle from World War II into the present day to keep him from dying and there’s no time loop component. They’re just like “well, you died originally, but now you get to have adventures in the 90s.” Xanatos is just a confident idiot, but confidence is all you need 90% of the time.

Actually they do bring it up, the other London Gargoyles knew Goliath from the time travelling and were hostile to him because of it, when Goliath time travelled to find out what had happened(since from his perspective he was meeting them for the first time) he created the loop, indeed the episode made it clear that Griff was destined to not return that night as lethal events kept happening around him, Goliath using the Phoenix Gate to bring him to the present was essentially a loophole to ensure that history would be fulfilled without Griff actually dying

Elisa is understandably quite confused about all the time travel stuff by the end of the episode

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

It makes sense, if he had been left in the past there would have been records of him being in the past. That they don’t exist means he was not left there.

Yes but all past-Xanatos knows is what the two letters tell him which are "hey here's a sweet coin" and "You're the one who sent the coin, here are the instructions on how to time travel and what you need to do on arrival". The minute he hands those letters off to that guy on the horse, his future is in flux. Those letters guarantee that Xanatos gets to that point, no further. The threat of him messing up the timestream is what gets Goliath to take him back, not anything about the loop itself.

It'd be like if, in Back To The Future* when Marty sees the photo restore itself after his parents kiss, he smirks and tells Doc Brown "Now I know I'm gonna make it back home"

*yes I know that BTTF is not a time loop movie shut up my point is one part of the plan going right does not dictate the other must go right.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

this is true for Metroid games imo and thats impressive given how Samus is your standard silent videogame protag. well almost 100% silent and dialog less.

maybe we should just ignore regressives because theyre just stupid mindless fucks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Well, if Xanatos had been left in the past, he'd have included that in the letter or written a new one! But he didn't, because he didn't :smug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s probably assuming that he’d become emperor of the Earth of something, and since he’s not part of the historical record, he assumes he makes it back to the present. It is consistent with his character that he never considers the possibility that he will die or fail.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I AM GRANDO posted:

He’s probably assuming that he’d become emperor of the Earth of something, and since he’s not part of the historical record, he assumes he makes it back to the present. It is consistent with his character that he never considers the possibility that he will die or fail.

Xanatos: As a modern genius I'll be invincible in the past!

*1000 years later*

Archeology student: Wow, this one skull in the bubonic plague pit had really good teeth for back then

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also worth considering that by this point Xanatos has a pretty good grasp on Goliath's character, he was probably absolutely certain Goliath would take him and the others back to the present, particularly when Xanatos hadn't actually done anything immoral this time around(indeed he arguably played the hero role for the first time when he and Fox saved Princess Elena from the Archmage's hired bandits even if it was part of his time loop plan)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Inkspot posted:

I love that episode. Gargoyles was pretty good at time travel.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Also worth considering that by this point Xanatos has a pretty good grasp on Goliath's character, he was probably absolutely certain Goliath would take him and the others back to the present, particularly when Xanatos hadn't actually done anything immoral this time around(indeed he arguably played the hero role for the first time when he and Fox saved Princess Elena from the Archmage's hired bandits even if it was part of his time loop plan)

it's been a while since i saw the episode but this also seems to presume that xanatos knew goliath would get his hands on the phoenix gate

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

World Tour was cool but yeah major drag. The payoff, though?? :discourse:

Agreed, although it was kind of a slog getting there. In hindsight it's all just the Potential Spin-Off Carousel. (I know one or two made it to comic form but they didn't do much for me.)

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Regalingualius posted:

So I found out that we had HBO Max bundled in with our cable this whole time, figured I’d finally get around to watching Infinity Train after hearing so much about it, and just finished S3 yesterday.

Sweet Jesus :stonk:

If it makes you feel any better, S4 is pretty mellow by comparison because the creators knew that everyone needed a breather after all that.

On the other hand, it got cancelled after that, so...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

one of the other noteworthy things upon my rewatch of Gargoyles is just how well some of the episodes are animated. some are definitely stinkers that even hired F-tier houses like kennedy, but others are just downright impressive, like they gave it some real budget. especially for an action oriented series in the 90s. it's the only one of its kind that i can recall that could compete with batman: tas and superman: tas in that department.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nestharken posted:

If it makes you feel any better, S4 is pretty mellow by comparison because the creators knew that everyone needed a breather after all that.

On the other hand, it got cancelled after that, so...

While it wasn’t quite as heavy as the two seasons that proceeded it (or even the more serious aspects of Season 1 for that matter) I didn’t completely hate Infinity Train S4 to be honest, not entirely sure why it needed to be a prequel though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

one of the other noteworthy things upon my rewatch of Gargoyles is just how well some of the episodes are animated. some are definitely stinkers that even hired F-tier houses like kennedy, but others are just downright impressive, like they gave it some real budget. especially for an action oriented series in the 90s. it's the only one of its kind that i can recall that could compete with batman: tas and superman: tas in that department.

Yeah, it's always jarring when you get some really lush looking animation along the lines of BTAS in Gargoyles and then you get... not that. Although the biggest jarring example I can think of was as a kid thinking everything in the Thundercats cartoon looked like the opening and boy howdy was that not true.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

While it wasn’t quite as heavy as the two seasons that proceeded it (or even the more serious aspects of Season 1 for that matter) I didn’t completely hate Infinity Train S4 to be honest, not entirely sure why it needed to be a prequel though

The next season was going to be about Amelia, probably half in the 80s about what she did to the train and half post-season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

The way it was set in the past and dealt with two friends, I thought it was going to be the origin of the mirror cops or something. Mace even sings, so I thought that'd be the connection to their musical talents.
Instead, it just kinda went nowhere and I wasn't really invested in any of the personal drama. Definitely my least favorite season.