Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Was Arnold ever collected into a book? Seeing it posted is bringing back memories of buying it at a thrift store and completely hating it, even as a small child. But I may be totally making that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The triangular people remind me of pigeon street.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Vargo posted:

Was Arnold ever collected into a book? Seeing it posted is bringing back memories of buying it at a thrift store and completely hating it, even as a small child. But I may be totally making that up.

There was no book. I would've bought used copies if it had.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I cannot imagine any circumstances in which I would have been permitted to bring a skateboard on a plane.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
E: wrong thread

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (January 10-16, 1983)
Skipping the January 9th strip because it's a repeat of a December 26 strip for some reason.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

The triangular people remind me of pigeon street.

With the big heads and blobby noses, Arnold's art reminds me mostly of Mell Lazarus.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I cannot imagine any circumstances in which I would have been permitted to bring a skateboard on a plane.

That's because Family Circus is made by and for people who haven't been on a plane since 1987. And who think kids wear vests.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Well that Boeing 727 hasn't been in passenger service in 20 years so...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Billy was intercepted by DHS agents and was never seen again.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace should have been burnt to a crisp by now. Or at least be less pale.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zereth posted:

... This was a story he's telling at the bar over drinks, wasn't it?

The Old Man is spinning a yarn.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pancho Jueves posted:

That's because Family Circus is made by and for people who haven't been on a plane since 1987. And who think kids wear vests.

That suitcase is full of bolo ties

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I had to fly for work last month and I swear to you that I saw a teenager one one of my flights with a loose skateboard as his "personal" carry-on item.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Sleepy Stirling :3:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

It makes me wonder when this strip originally ran. I would imagine it's from the 70s or 80s, but I'm not sure if having a skateboard would fit into that (it could also be a later addition).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

JethroMcB posted:

I had to fly for work last month and I swear to you that I saw a teenager one one of my flights with a loose skateboard as his "personal" carry-on item.

I spent years flying for work and saw people skateboard to get around terminals more than once. Less annoying to walk around than those golf cart things.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

don Jaime posted:

Wallace should have been burnt to a crisp by now. Or at least be less pale.

the sun never shines on rhode island

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Life in Hell

Marlys!

Nice thematic consistency.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ted you know you can take the poster though right

Not if it's load-bearing.

For Better or For Worse

Modesty Blaise: The Black Pearl

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

edit: fixed panel ten. See below.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 1, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

So It Seems September 3, 1952

I can't decide if 'have' is right here and it's driving the copyeditor in me crazy. It feels wrong, but I keep going back and forth on it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

As a kid, I never wanted summer to end.

As an adult who dislikes the summer, I can't wait for it to end so that we can get to the best season: fall.
:hmmyes:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Wilbur should have some good insights into relationships!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

31st still didn't update. I'll try to keep an eye on it.

Apartment 3-G

I now think Halverson is potentially dangerous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Just meet with Jared and his new lady and bring a guy friend then pound some beers like a REAL MAN it'll be fine!"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Whoa, a one-off gag that was recycled into a running one for The Simpsons. I'm assuming anyway. It seems like a simple enough idea but I can't really think of anywhere else I've seen it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

getting mixed messages from "yeah she does that just let her get away with it" to "we have other ways of dealing with sick day abuse"

also: a nightmare

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

rannum posted:

getting mixed messages from "yeah she does that just let her get away with it" to "we have other ways of dealing with sick day abuse"

You're right. That was a bad translation on my part. So I switched to something more contextually accurate despite being farther away from the literal meaning of the line. Translation's fun!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

"Just meet with Jared and his new lady and bring a guy friend then pound some beers like a REAL MAN it'll be fine!"

Dawn: I'll show Jared I'm not some has-been *accidentally karate-chops a beer bottle*

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

oscillating hard between "finally a nice dustin" and "wow theyre really doing damage control, thanks Vargo"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_h7Lm7C9Nk&t=70s

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

riderchop posted:

oscillating hard between "finally a nice dustin" and "wow theyre really doing damage control, thanks Vargo"

It's just as bad the other two where he hugs dustin or whatever and it's always centered around Ed's feelings and even here this is just because Ed feels bad about himself and isn't about making his wife or his children feel good. It's completely self-centered.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Now do Ed walking by a lonely old man wondering why his son never calls.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

You're right. That was a bad translation on my part. So I switched to something more contextually accurate despite being farther away from the literal meaning of the line. Translation's fun!

i didn't even snap to it being a translation error, heh

this reads much better now

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kennel posted:

It makes me wonder when this strip originally ran. I would imagine it's from the 70s or 80s, but I'm not sure if having a skateboard would fit into that (it could also be a later addition).
Judging by Billy's suitcase, the 1920s.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Yeah, this is a tale over drinks.

Cthulhu and Girl

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

As a kid, I never wanted summer to end.

As an adult who dislikes the summer, I can't wait for it to end so that we can get to the best season: fall.

How is Summer 2: Electric Boogaloo the best season? Clearly winter is the best season because it's the only one where you can actually do things outside without dealing with heat exhaustion.

For now, anyway.

Although it wasn't retail, I did factory work for a while and on the second day I got a verbal warning for clocking out early from my shift the night before.

The shift ended at 7 PM, you see, and I had clocked out at 6:58.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If you're happy that your spouse doesn't nag and needle you, it could be because you're the nagging spouse.

Twelve by Pies posted:

How is Summer 2: Electric Boogaloo the best season? Clearly winter is the best season because it's the only one where you can actually do things outside without dealing with heat exhaustion.

For now, anyway.

The only thing about winter for me (aside from frigid temperatures) is driving in the snow. I'm south of the Mason-Dixon line and the stereotypes of southerners who don't know how to drive in snow is pretty much right on the money.