Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

professor muthafukkah posted:

Hey thread.

Currently, I have this laptop which is on its way out and I am maybe looking for a replacement.

That's still a relatively beastly machine, what happened to it? I have the same machine (just slightly newer with a ryzen 9 5900hx and 3060) and it's been holding up well.

If you're turned off by Asus, Lenovo is shipping it's new 16in Legion 5 Pro's with 6000 series Ryzens. Here's one with a Ryzen 7 6800H, RTX 3060, 2TB of SSD storage and 16GB of DDR5 for 1600USD

E: 12th gen intel chips seem to have an edge in absolute performance, but I'm still not convinced their power hungry nature is worth it in the mobile space. If you want more GPU power, I'm pretty sure the Legion 7's with the older 11th gen Intels and Ryzen 5000 series can be had with an RTX 3070 in your budget. I personally would try to hold onto what you have a little while longer. May be seeing RTX 4000 series GPU's soon, and hopefully product lines will be much more saturated with 12th gen intel/ryzen 6000 chips in the not too distant future. Unless you're machine is flat out broke and doesn't work anymore.

E2: I have an old MSI with a 5th gen intel (broadwell) and GTX 970 from 2015 that still works to this day. It wasn't my favorite machine ever, but the thing does still run. You can pick up a few machines with RTX 3070's under 1900 dollars as well. If you have your eye on a couple, see if they've been reviewed at https://www.notebookcheck.net/. They go into a lot of depth when it comes to build quality, upgradeability, screen quality, heat and noise production, etc.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...

Mental Hospitality posted:

That's still a relatively beastly machine, what happened to it? I have the same machine (just slightly newer with a ryzen 9 5900hx and 3060) and it's been holding up well.

I am still troubleshooting and seeing if I can fix it the issue I'm having but if not, just in case, I'd rather have some options lined up. I think either my fans or the GPU itself is dying, going to try and maybe replace the fan and see what happens but if not then I don't really want to deal with replacing the GPU (don't even know if that's possible in laptops?).

If you're turned off by Asus, Lenovo is shipping it's new 16in Legion 5 Pro's with 6000 series Ryzens. Here's one with a Ryzen 7 6800H, RTX 3060, 2TB of SSD storage and 16GB of DDR5 for 1600USD

I still like Asus, my last laptop before my current one was an Asus and it lasted quite a few years (longer than this one), but I am open to trying new brands.

I have a question about this specific model you mentioned though, would I be able to notice any improvement compared to my current specs? I have a friend saying that the RTX 3060 is basically the same performance-wise as the RTX 2060, but I am not sure I believe them. Also, do you know if this specific RTX 3060 has good wattage?

E: 12th gen intel chips seem to have an edge in absolute performance, but I'm still not convinced their power hungry nature is worth it in the mobile space. If you want more GPU power, I'm pretty sure the Legion 7's with the older 11th gen Intels and Ryzen 5000 series can be had with an RTX 3070 in your budget. I personally would try to hold onto what you have a little while longer. May be seeing RTX 4000 series GPU's soon, and hopefully product lines will be much more saturated with 12th gen intel/ryzen 6000 chips in the not too distant future. Unless you're machine is flat out broke and doesn't work anymore.

Yeah it honestly depends. If I can fix my current machine then I'll definitely wait, but if not then unfortunately I'm gonna have to buy something now. Gonna check out the Legion 7s as well!

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah the 3060 isn't a huge upgrade over the 2060. It gets even more confusing because there are multiple wattage specifications and laptop makers aren't keen to tell you what power limits their particular 3060 uses. Usually the big, thick gaming laptops have the highest wattage versions. I think the RTX 4000 series gpu's will be coming out by the end of the year, but I have no idea when they'll be in laptops or how they'll perform.

Unfortunately, the GPU's are soldered onto the mainboard so replacement is basically a non-starter. A failed fan could definitely either toast the GPU, or cause it to try and throttle itself down to avoid combustion to the point it becomes unstable and just won't work. Does it function okay when running on the integrated intel graphics? If your Asus is like mine, it should have two fans, can you feel air being pushed out of both sides? Could maybe take the bottom off and give it a good cleaning or reapply some new thermal paste and see if that makes it any happier.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I have a question about this specific model you mentioned though, would I be able to notice any improvement compared to my current specs? I have a friend saying that the RTX 3060 is basically the same performance-wise as the RTX 2060, but I am not sure I believe them. Also, do you know if this specific RTX 3060 has good wattage?

Yeah it honestly depends. If I can fix my current machine then I'll definitely wait, but if not then unfortunately I'm gonna have to buy something now. Gonna check out the Legion 7s as well!

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

The 3060 in the Legion 5 pro will be a decent upgrade over your 2060. It should be 140watt boost, 125 watt when cpu usage isn't super light. Most of the time the thread recommends the g14 for portability, g15 for the overall package of portability and battery life, and the legion 5 pro/7 when it goes on sale (its kinda heavy, but it has a beautiful 16x10 165hz screen). I feel like the current gen laptops are somewhat overpriced, but we're sort of in between current and old gen stuff.
If you don't move your laptop around a ton, the 2021 legion 5 pro is very nice, and the walmart 5800h/3070 is a pretty ok deal still considering how much the new gen stuff costs. It will be a little slower than a new 12th gen intel for sure, but maybe its worth the savings. https://tinyurl.com/225u4xcb

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hey thread.

Currently, I have this laptop which is on its way out and I am maybe looking for a replacement.

I am looking for something to mainly game on, no AAA titles at 4k, no esports at 240+ FPS, no VR, nothing demanding like that. I mainly play MMOs and a random other game here or there, but I am fine with 1080p +60 FPS most of the time (if I can get more, that's good too). I haven't been keeping up with new tech for the past few years so I have no clue what I should be looking for. Also, I'd want something at least at the same level as my current laptop, but preferably a bit better because why not.

Current budget is roughly in the USD $1500-1800 range but maybe could go a bit higher depending on what is suggested.

Main concern is good performance for the price range and quality control. I don't want my laptop dying after a year or two.

Any suggestions?

Good suggestions so far but whats most important to you, maybe rank these?

Portability
Power
Build quality
Price
Screen size

Based on what you said I don't think you'll need to pay more than $1500 honestly, but knowing what you want will help.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I have the Lenovo TB3 Gen2 dock and it works with all my PCs, either in Thunderbolt or for older stuff it seems in normal USB-C alternative mode. Didn't work with my S22Ultra at least before I did a firmware update, haven't tested it since. No problem running a 1440p monitor at 165hz and a second 1080 screen.

I have this but Gen1

Works great with my Thinkpad, XPS 15 and Intel MacBook pro, wife's m1 MacBook air

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...

Unfortunately, the GPU's are soldered onto the mainboard so replacement is basically a non-starter. A failed fan could definitely either toast the GPU, or cause it to try and throttle itself down to avoid combustion to the point it becomes unstable and just won't work. Does it function okay when running on the integrated intel graphics? If your Asus is like mine, it should have two fans, can you feel air being pushed out of both sides? Could maybe take the bottom off and give it a good cleaning or reapply some new thermal paste and see if that makes it any happier.

So yeah I've already opened it up and cleaned the fans and everything else in general (which didn't help at all), what I'm going to try next is thermal paste, if that doesn't work then I'll try to replace the fans. I still don't know exactly what the problem is, but randomly my GPU Clock will go down to like 300mhz from 1200mhz and the fan will start going crazy spinning up to max. Problem is when they are going crazy they aren't actually cooling anything because the temps go crazy too. I am hoping it's just a fan issue (sounds like it is), but not sure either way, because this happens both when I am gaming (which tanks performance) or just idling at desktop.

And when the fans are normal, which is increasingly rare nowadays, yes there is air coming out of both sides. When the fan is going crazy, the left fan pushes out considerably less air than the right.

Canna Happy posted:

If you don't move your laptop around a ton, the 2021 legion 5 pro is very nice, and the walmart 5800h/3070 is a pretty ok deal still considering how much the new gen stuff costs. It will be a little slower than a new 12th gen intel for sure, but maybe its worth the savings. https://tinyurl.com/225u4xcb

Yeah, don't move it at all actually. It's basically a desktop replacement. And thanks for the link as well will check it out, price ain't bad!

Lockback posted:

Good suggestions so far but whats most important to you, maybe rank these?

Portability
Power
Build quality
Price
Screen size

Based on what you said I don't think you'll need to pay more than $1500 honestly, but knowing what you want will help.

Power > Build quality > Price > Screen Size > Portability.

And from what I am seeing (based on suggestions from this thread) I think you are right, maybe $1500 can be my max?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Legion 5 or Legion 7 pro. At least a 3060, might want to consider a 3070 but thats probably cost/heat you don't need.

If you are willing to wait a couple weeks I am almost certain you'll find a 3060 for around 1000-1200. The Wal*Mart one for $1400 is a good deal for a 3070 though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

So yeah I've already opened it up and cleaned the fans and everything else in general (which didn't help at all), what I'm going to try next is thermal paste, if that doesn't work then I'll try to replace the fans. I still don't know exactly what the problem is, but randomly my GPU Clock will go down to like 300mhz from 1200mhz and the fan will start going crazy spinning up to max. Problem is when they are going crazy they aren't actually cooling anything because the temps go crazy too. I am hoping it's just a fan issue (sounds like it is), but not sure either way, because this happens both when I am gaming (which tanks performance) or just idling at desktop.

And when the fans are normal, which is increasingly rare nowadays, yes there is air coming out of both sides. When the fan is going crazy, the left fan pushes out considerably less air than the right.

If you do end up removing the heatsinks and repasting, make sure to shoot some canned air through the fins. Sometimes there will be some tape where the fan meets the heatsink fins and dust likes to collect in the space between fan and fins. I've seen some very weird dust buildups in laptops that create an almost solid block of debris.

We just had some 4th of July sales (in the U.S. anyways), might be some Back to School sales coming up.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 28, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Flyndre posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! It doesn’t look so badly priced either (like 150 dollars used in my local market)

Just make sure it's a Thunderbolt model not a DisplayLink model.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

We just had some 4th of July sales (in the U.S. anyways), might be some Back to School sales coming up.

This is one of the best laptop buying periods all year. It's going to generally be pretty good from now until November and then there will be spikes of ridiculously good deals for xmas.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There does seem to be an increase in chip supply now although I'm not sure if that's just because everyone has given up buying in the short term

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

There does seem to be an increase in chip supply now although I'm not sure if that's just because everyone has given up buying in the short term

China lockdowns have been easing up a bit over the last few months, but yeah I think demand is also dropping.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been weighing the option of getting a Windows laptop instead of a MacBook Pro for video editing and color work, looking at something like a Legion 5/7 with 3060 or better. But I've read that for some when you use discrete graphics thunderbolt doesn't work? I've been having trouble finding more information on this, it was an offhand comment in a review of some Asus laptop I think. I definitely need the discrete graphics to work at the same time as the thunderbolt port — it's the only port I can use for my video output card with Resolve. Maybe it's just if you use a mux switch to turn off the integrated graphics?

Generally I way prefer macs for my editing and color, but the 12600k/3060ti desktop I run benchmarks extremely well in the programs I use compared to high spec MBPs and even mac studios. I figure if I can spend $1400-$1600 on a windows laptop instead of the $2500 I might for a macbook pro, I can just have that be the edit machine and keep using my Air for everything else.

I need thunderbolt to run my output card, and I'm not clear on how various notebook cards compare to desktop versions. I'm assuming I'm not going to get the same performance as the desktop but I'd like to have an idea for how close I might be able to get.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Got myself the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 gen 2 dock suggested here (130usd unopened "used") and it seems to work great on my Thinkpad and MacBook Air. Thanks! My only beef with it is the stupidly short Thunderbolt cable, but that can be replaced at least

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Here's a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 with a quad core Tiger Lake and RTX 3050 for $550. Has a rather small SSD and only 8GB of RAM, but should have an open dimm slot for upgrades. Can add a second storage drive too. Has a nice 120hz IPS display and decent cooling. Would make for a nice machine if you're not looking to run the absolute latest titles at high/ultra settings. DLSS probably buys you some performance too.

Best Buy Link

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 31, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah I think I'll pick this up for my son. I believe it has 2x4GB, so two slots but you'll need 2x8gb if you want 16gb, not just another 8. Teardown is pretty easy though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My 6 week old ThinkPad has bricked. Great first experience with the ol' Lenovo brand. Strongly recommend. :dumbbravo:

I don't know what's wrong with it or what happened, it just won't turn on, has no lights showing or anything. Obviously well within warranty and it's in at the service centre, but ugh I need this device for work and study.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If they're gonna fail, usually they do in the first 90 days

Sucks, though

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A friend is looking for a gaming laptop. He will be bringing it places but will usually have it connected to the wall. Budget is between 1.3 - 1.5k USD.

Is this Walmart deal the best option or is there something else that might be better? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...0F9US/484883807

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

A friend is looking for a gaming laptop. He will be bringing it places but will usually have it connected to the wall. Budget is between 1.3 - 1.5k USD.

Is this Walmart deal the best option or is there something else that might be better? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...0F9US/484883807

Probably. In the best couple weeks a 3060 version in the 1000-1200 take will probably be available, and I think generally the 3060 fits the thermal and power profiles of a laptop better, but if he really wants a 3070 that's a good deal.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bike tory posted:

My 6 week old ThinkPad has bricked. Great first experience with the ol' Lenovo brand. Strongly recommend. :dumbbravo:

I don't know what's wrong with it or what happened, it just won't turn on, has no lights showing or anything. Obviously well within warranty and it's in at the service centre, but ugh I need this device for work and study.

Update: Lenovo have offered me a refund or a replacement. I think I'm going to take the refund and buy a different unit. The 12 gen intels are just a bit too power hungry for a small portable laptop.

Does anyone know if the Ryzen 6000series are any better? Specifically the 6650U and 6850U. It looks like there are actually some laptops available now with those chips.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah the 6000 series is very efficient, though I was under the impression the 12th gen Intel was good at modulating it's power too. Which CPU did you have?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

i7-1260p. The idea behind the Alder Lakes is solid but it just doesn't make good use of the efficiency cores. If you look up reviews of pretty much any of the new 13-14" laptops with 12th gen P processors they say battery life is an issue. Bigger ones with 80+ Wh batteries seem ok.

I really liked it when it was plugged in. Very fast and snappy. With some heavy tweaking of settings I managed 6-7 hours of battery life under very minimal load, but any heavy use like video chats or CAD stuff and I'd only get like 3 hours of battery.

It's possible this will be fixed with driver updates and other better software support, but I don't want to bank on that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I saw a performance / watt comparison. Alder Lake scaled better with power, but at the low end of the curve the 6000 chip had it handedly beat.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think Alder Lake is great in the desktop space, they really are beastly performers. But 6 or 8 Zen3+ cores in a laptop is still nothing to sneeze at, and I do like just how efficient the ryzen chips can be.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'm in the market for an affordable, portable laptop for work/study and Elden Ring purposes and this deal caught my eye:

https://www.proshop.fi/Kannettava-tietokone/Acer-Swift-X-SFX14-41G-R4UD-Ryzen-5-5600U-16GB-512GB-14-RTX-3050/2942346

Notebookcheck has a review of the GTX 1650 version:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Swift-X-SFX14-with-GTX-1650-in-review-Swift-Ryzen-laptop.607683.0.html

Any obvious downsides I'm missing? The memory is integrated but at 16 gig it doesn't seem like a dealbreaker to me.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hard to say whether it's a good price because I don't know how much poo poo normally costs over there, but the device itself seems solid. 16gb is plenty of memory since the dedicated graphics has its own, and that processor/dGPU combo should manage games well.

59Wh is on the small side for the battery in a device with a dedicated GPU. It should be fine so long as the software support is decent and it shuts off on efficiency mode or whatever but worth checking imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't like Acer in general (no opinions on that model though), the 3050 is kind of a weird card to judge value on, the 3050ti is a lot nicer, but the 3050 will still be alright for 1080p Elden Ring. All that said, that's a pretty good price and specs, especially on a 14" which is a really nice size for a laptop.

So yeah, if you're good with a 3050 and that seems like a competitive price for your area, no red flags.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My 2.5 year old T470 just had the screen crack. Computer is solid aside from now having the left inch of screen unusable. It has a touch screen but I don't particularly care or use it much, are the touch and non-touch screens swappable? I was looking at a DIY replacement and I'm potentially willing to try it, but I dunno where to get a replacement screen that's reputable. Likewise, I don't necessarily trust the local computer repair shops to not dramatically over-charge me, but if I'm fairly likely to wreck something DIY I guess I'd go with it.

Interestingly (to me) this is the first laptop in ~20 years that I've had a screen crack on. Looks like it stressed around the hinge and just popped.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yes, as long as it's compatible you can usually replace a non touchscreen on a touchscreen laptop. It's usually not too bad of a process.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

2.5 years, no warranty left? Maybe check with Lenovo if there was a recall or known defect in your serial lot? It shouldn't be too bad to replace on a thinkpad. They are very easy to work with.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Correct, no warranty left. I didn't think of defects, I'll check into that. Otherwise, any recommendations for where to get the part? There don't appear to be any direct through Lenovo's parts site.

I did watch a video on the replacement and it doesn't seem too bad other than dealing with adhesive. Certainly easier than the time I swapped a whole motherboard anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I swapped the screen on my x230 the screws and ribbon connector are about half as big as I would have preferred to manhandle, but I think I got it disassembled and swapped out in less than 30 minutes after watching a video on YouTube

The color reproduction was slightly off on my replacement screen, which I was never able to correct with color profiles in windows or Linux. The Facebook logo went from blue to a slightly purple blue, but otherwise worked great, better than no laptop screen

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Nighthand posted:

Correct, no warranty left. I didn't think of defects, I'll check into that. Otherwise, any recommendations for where to get the part? There don't appear to be any direct through Lenovo's parts site.

I did watch a video on the replacement and it doesn't seem too bad other than dealing with adhesive. Certainly easier than the time I swapped a whole motherboard anyway.

There a few sites that sell replacement screens;

https://www.screencountry.com/
https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/

Never had to try to use one though so ymmv.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Ifixit has a guide, it's not a bad repair:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+ThinkPad+T470+Display+Panel+Replacement/141530

Try and find the lenovo part number then search ebay for it, you'll find a bunch i'm sure.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hadlock posted:

I swapped the screen on my x230 the screws and ribbon connector are about half as big as I would have preferred to manhandle, but I think I got it disassembled and swapped out in less than 30 minutes after watching a video on YouTube

The color reproduction was slightly off on my replacement screen, which I was never able to correct with color profiles in windows or Linux. The Facebook logo went from blue to a slightly purple blue, but otherwise worked great, better than no laptop screen

Sounds like the ribbon may have been not in all the way. Or that sounds like what happens when you don't have a VGA cable plugged in all the way and I'm making some assumptions on how that monitor is signalling internally.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

My X230 (which I bought refurbished 5-6 years ago based on this thread's advice) is getting old. What is its spiritual successor?

I would dual boot (or just run) Lubuntu. I would use it for general computing, as an ArduRover ground station, and to talk to my (full size) car.

I wouldn't game. The most performance-intensive thing I can think of, if it can easily handle it, would be some Tensorflow training/inferencing, but that isn't make-or-break.

I see the T470 mentioned, is that the go-to nerdbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I have a friend looking for a laptop, max range is 3-4K but if he can get something of equal value for lower that would be great. Looking for it to hold up for a few years, but it should be mostly for gaming. Open to all suggestions, he seems to like Alienware but I know they’re very overpriced.