Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

couldn't make it through the first episode but if I wanted to see Lance Reddick play Wesker I would just watch The Guest again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MacheteZombie posted:

Lance Reddick in full leather with the flat top haircut about killed me. I laughed so hard at that.

And then Bert saying 'The real Wesker was a real piece of work, but don't about him, he died. in a volcano "

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm so scared that this adaptation of Paper Girls on Amazon is gonna just go "Stranger Things, but g-g-g-girls," since the comic series was so loving good. Fingers crossed...

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
The new HBO Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward docuseries by Ethan Hawke is one of the best things ever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finished the first season of The Witcher. Show seems to be a bit rough, but Henry Cavill is fun in the role.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

God Hole posted:

couldn't make it through the first episode but if I wanted to see Lance Reddick play Wesker I would just watch The Guest again

God dang do I love The Guest. One on my top movies since 2010.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Finished the first season of The Witcher. Show seems to be a bit rough, but Henry Cavill is fun in the role.

The second season is a bit more straight forward story wise. No timeline nonsense. But does stumble a bit by separating Yennifer and Geralt until the very last episode.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

God Hole posted:

That's fair, that movie rocks

Best Captain America sequel

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Watched RRR, its a insane movie in a lot of good (and some bad) ways.it has the most explicit gay relatioship in any bollywood movie ever, ray stevenson being comicaly evil and at one point a tiger does a spanish fly on a british soldier. 4/5 was very entertained for 3 hours.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Watched RRR, its a insane movie in a lot of good (and some bad) ways.it has the most explicit gay relatioship in any bollywood movie ever, ray stevenson being comicaly evil and at one point a tiger does a spanish fly on a british soldier. 4/5 was very entertained for 3 hours.

Ray Stevenson! I knew he looked familiar but couldn't place him.

I know him as The Punisher from the very silly and very fun Punisher War Zone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ray Stevenson will always be from Rome for me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The ILM docuseries on disney plus is good, but it's interesting how they spend the first several episodes slowly moving from 1977 to 1993, and then they only briefly discuss the Star Wars prequel series, and then suddenly jump forward to The Mandalorian in 2019. I guess they're just looking to avoid talking about how bad CG could be for a long time there.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Cause they know, they know

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

RRR is not Bollywood, it's "Tollywood," from Southern India. :eng101:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

One of the interesting bits from The Phantom Menace making of Doc is that they had the actor playing Jar Jar act out the scenes with a rubber suit on and then they also had a cgi team doing a fully animated version.

George and crew watch the footage and then realize the cg looks better and lament that they wasted thousands on a really nice looking suit, but then the guy presenting the graphics points out that the rubber suit footage was very valuable because they could see on the actor where the lighting and shadow should be on the rendering.

That doc is pretty interesting throughout. I don't know if it's on Disney+ in any way but it's tucked away on the bonus disc on the Blu-ray under a legacy menu.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm bored on a Saturday night. Looking for something to watch, movie or series.

I'm thinking either some like scifi space drama, like if Foundation was good. Already done The Expanse, love it. Seen classics like 2001 and Event Horizon, and BSG, Star Wars and Star Trek of course.

Or maybe a western that has the emotional depth of Red Dead Redemption 2? Maybe that doesn't have a lot of emotional depth, but felt for Arthur by the end of the game. I haven't seen many westerns, couldn't really get into Deadwood.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nihonniboku posted:

Or maybe a western that has the emotional depth of Red Dead Redemption 2? Maybe that doesn't have a lot of emotional depth, but felt for Arthur by the end of the game. I haven't seen many westerns, couldn't really get into Deadwood.

Watch The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford and chuckle at some of the shots that RDR2 lifted from it wholesale (also it's an incredibly good movie)

not great bob
Jan 1, 2022

Nihonniboku posted:

The ILM docuseries on disney plus is good, but it's interesting how they spend the first several episodes slowly moving from 1977 to 1993, and then they only briefly discuss the Star Wars prequel series, and then suddenly jump forward to The Mandalorian in 2019. I guess they're just looking to avoid talking about how bad CG could be for a long time there.

I think also they realise that "we did this effect on a computer" is just not as interesting to watch as someone figuring out how to make a house implode as a practical effect. Also, by 1993 all the main people you are following in the documentary have either been fired or kicked upstairs.

It's pretty brutal watching Phil Tippet say in one episode that he found the process of creating stop motion animation so engrossing and meditative it prevented him from committing suicide, to finding out a few episodes later that computer graphics have completely supplanted his job and he has been "promoted" to just explaining to the CGI team how to do what he used to do himself practically.

I would definitely recommend the docuseries, even if it potentially glosses over some things, if only because it is so much fun to watch these people discover how to make movie magic in real time. There's also a ton of shots of OT special effects without the Special Edition changes. But once Jurassic Park happens, it's game over.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm thinking either some like scifi space drama, like if Foundation was good. Already done The Expanse, love it. Seen classics like 2001 and Event Horizon, and BSG, Star Wars and Star Trek of course.
Have you tried The Orville? It starts out pretty jokey but honestly the humor gets toned down after the first few episodes. It’s basically the spiritual successor to The Next Generation. I haven’t seen season 3 yet though, so I can’t vouch for that though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

new season is more serious, its really good so far imo. although idk how many times theyre gonna time travel back to present day LA lol, the characters are conveniently obsessed with that time period whcih cracks me up, like you can go anywhere in the universe and you go to 2020 USA

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Martman posted:

I felt iffy before, but thank you, now I will definitely never watch this

how jaded do you have to be for "someone liked this" to read as evidence that you won't? I mean, from that, I'm sure you won't, but what an odd existence.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Grey man was weird. Didn’t seem to have a climax. Train battle was so long I zoned out half way and didn’t know what happened at the end. Seemed to suffer from Netflix syndrome: all the shine and budget but none of the heart. A fiendishly hollow film. Seemed to want to do the John wick thing where you’re dropped into a deep and fascinating clandestine world and you just go with it but it didn’t really go far enough to work. Very strange movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nihonniboku posted:

True Grit is pretty good but I'm a Jeff Bridges fan boy so I may be biased

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

not great bob posted:

I think also they realise that "we did this effect on a computer" is just not as interesting to watch as someone figuring out how to make a house implode as a practical effect. Also, by 1993 all the main people you are following in the documentary have either been fired or kicked upstairs.

It's pretty brutal watching Phil Tippet say in one episode that he found the process of creating stop motion animation so engrossing and meditative it prevented him from committing suicide, to finding out a few episodes later that computer graphics have completely supplanted his job and he has been "promoted" to just explaining to the CGI team how to do what he used to do himself practically.

I would definitely recommend the docuseries, even if it potentially glosses over some things, if only because it is so much fun to watch these people discover how to make movie magic in real time. There's also a ton of shots of OT special effects without the Special Edition changes. But once Jurassic Park happens, it's game over.

The ending of RDR2 is based on The Shootist, which while not as depressing as RDR2 but pretty close, is a good watch. Check that out. Otherwise some good depressing westerns:

McCabe and Ms Miller
Dead Man
The Proposition

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Smythe posted:

Grey man was weird. Didn’t seem to have a climax. Train battle was so long I zoned out half way and didn’t know what happened at the end. Seemed to suffer from Netflix syndrome: all the shine and budget but none of the heart. A fiendishly hollow film. Seemed to want to do the John wick thing where you’re dropped into a deep and fascinating clandestine world and you just go with it but it didn’t really go far enough to work. Very strange movie.

Yeah I thought it was pretty generic, the plane crash scene was really chaotic and cool though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

worms butthole guy posted:

The ending of RDR2 is based on The Shootist, which while not as depressing as RDR2 but pretty close, is a good watch. Check that out. Otherwise some good depressing westerns:

McCabe and Ms Miller
Dead Man
The Proposition
Love love love The Proposition, definitely seconded. Maybe my favorite Western of all time? Sorry America.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's good but The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is the best modern western

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BonoMan posted:

It's good but The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is the best modern western

This is the correct opinion.

I also really dug Sisters Brothers, but it can't touch either of those.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Rehearsal might just be, to me, the funniest thing I've ever seen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Glottis posted:

Might be a dumb question, but I'm assuming you've watched Nathan for You already? Because if you haven't watch it asap.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

Might be a dumb question, but I'm assuming you've watched Nathan for You already? Because if you haven't watch it asap.

oh, I have. This is on another level for me.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I often find critics are hyperbolic when they say that some piece of media is "genius" or "brilliant," but this genuinely is, and I only expect it to get more intricate and mind blowing as the season progresses.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glottis posted:

how jaded do you have to be for "someone liked this" to read as evidence that you won't? I mean, from that, I'm sure you won't, but what an odd existence.
I've known people who view themselves as perfectionist nitpickers of movies but really just arbitrarily complain about anything that was actually weird, or interesting, or didn't fit their expectations. So when they find something that doesn't bother them it can be a good sign that I'm gonna find that movie intensely boring.

But mostly I'm being an rear end in a top hat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Glottis posted:

thank you for your input. God bless you, bro. miracle status.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

precision posted:

thank you for your input. God bless you, bro. miracle status.

Praise the lord

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

has anyone watched Keep Breathing yet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay, i knew Harley Quinn (the animated one on HBOMax) was supposed to be "not just for kids" or whatever

i did not know it was basically Venture Bros. levels of foul mouthed and explicit

holy poo poo it's good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

okay, i knew Harley Quinn (the animated one on HBOMax) was supposed to be "not just for kids" or whatever

i did not know it was basically Venture Bros. levels of foul mouthed and explicit

holy poo poo it's good

Yeah I was skeptical at first but it's quite funny with strong characters, good voices, etc.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
In contrast, Prime has stuck Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey on its front page, luring me in, and that is not a good film. To the point that while I'm watching it, I'm trying to explain why I don't enjoy it. It's a movie that's afraid you might start checking your phone, so it slams a new character or a plot twist onscreen every 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

nonathlon posted:

In contrast, Prime has stuck Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey on its front page, luring me in, and that is not a good film. To the point that while I'm watching it, I'm trying to explain why I don't enjoy it. It's a movie that's afraid you might start checking your phone, so it slams a new character or a plot twist onscreen every 5 minutes.
It has a fun Ewan McGregor performance though.