Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tricked by a sexy horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Push El Burrito posted:

Tricked by a sexy horse.

He knew what he was doing and was the one initiating it!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

And everything you need to know about those kids is explained in the movie. She can see and touch the kids she fixates on, so knowing she wants them is all the audience needs to know. The ones she lost are of no important, beyond that she lost them. Which the film explains.

I again could say pretty similar things about Infinity War vs Endgame but at this point I doubt either of us will convince the other so lets just agree to disagree about it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zefiel posted:

Petty personal bias. Had the character ruined for me, much like you can be soured on a certain song after a relationship. I cheered when the dude bit it in Infinity War and the whole theater gave me the stink-eye, haha.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

You should give the show a try. The thing about movies-Loki is that he was pretty much a selfish rear end in a top hat the whole time who managed to kind of luck into dying a hero. Series-Loki doesn't get off that easily.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

be warned that Loki has a disappointing amount of jetskis

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I personally found Loki to be the weakest of the Disney+ shows for non-jet-ski-related reasons, but it’s also just…pretty watchable. If you’ve already consumed, like, every single other MCU thing then you might as well get caught up on this stuff too.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mameluke posted:

it's weird how people keep refusing to believe the MCU adheres to stan lee's old idea that "every comic is someone's first"

My girlfriend watched MoM having only seen Doctor Strange. She didn't have any trouble following it. She hasn't even seen any of the Avengers movies. They're definitely designed so you can watch them standalone. Marvel would just be leaving money on the table if the other 22+ movies were 100% required viewing.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Aside from a big chunk of the finale which will be massively consequential moving forward, Loki is, interestingly, entirely inconsequential to the MCU at large. The concept of multiple Kangs and Kang being unleashed onto the multiverse (and not even the guy we've met, just some other jerk) seems pretty drat important but basically everything else gets wiped at the end. At the time it sort of seemed like it was setting up a ton of meta-structure to how the MCU multiverse actually operates (e.g. all the specifics about 'variants') but none of the TVA setup or rules really matter to the rest of the MCU and we've seen plenty of multiverse variety since then.

I'd be curious about how much of the finale setpiece would make sense to someone who hadn't seen the rest of the show. It's pretty esoteric anyway and any of gobbledygook you don't understand is just stuff that's confined to the Loki show, the greater MCU really just needs the basic character introduction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I wonder how much of that is due to how radically the order for phase 4 was shifted due to the pandemic, or due to the impact of the pandemic on the production of Loki itself.

Obviously the movies didn't stay unchanged and I don't know what the original release plans were for NWH.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
MoM was supposed to come out before NWH which makes sense. I think they changed some of the script in both but you can definitely tell, even after those changes, that that was the way it was supposed to go, given how Strange reacts to the existence of the multiverse in each movie.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

MoM was supposed to come out before NWH which makes sense. I think they changed some of the script in both but you can definitely tell, even after those changes, that that was the way it was supposed to go, given how Strange reacts to the existence of the multiverse in each movie.

Funny how early Eternals was supposed to be. Figure there's some tour boat going "...and on the left you can see the hand of the giant dead god-fetus that would have exploded our world had it fully emerged. Meanwhile we'll soon be coming up on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, an area of floating trash twice the size of Texas. Watch for three-headed sharks that have been created by the toxic waste there. But don't feed or provoke them, they can be quite aggressive. And hungry."

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ror posted:

Aside from a big chunk of the finale which will be massively consequential moving forward, Loki is, interestingly, entirely inconsequential to the MCU at large. The concept of multiple Kangs and Kang being unleashed onto the multiverse (and not even the guy we've met, just some other jerk) seems pretty drat important but basically everything else gets wiped at the end. At the time it sort of seemed like it was setting up a ton of meta-structure to how the MCU multiverse actually operates (e.g. all the specifics about 'variants') but none of the TVA setup or rules really matter to the rest of the MCU and we've seen plenty of multiverse variety since then.

I'd be curious about how much of the finale setpiece would make sense to someone who hadn't seen the rest of the show. It's pretty esoteric anyway and any of gobbledygook you don't understand is just stuff that's confined to the Loki show, the greater MCU really just needs the basic character introduction.

Loki felt to me like Feige et al. had an idea for using the TVA as a vehicle to introduce the multiverse and Kang and decided to shoehorn Loki into it, as opposed to actually conceiving a show from the ground up around Loki's existing character and backstory in the MCU. It's particularly blatant in the finale, but that makes the rest of the show's weaknesses a lot clearer in that light.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Loki felt to me like Feige et al. had an idea for using the TVA as a vehicle to introduce the multiverse and Kang and decided to shoehorn Loki into it, as opposed to actually conceiving a show from the ground up around Loki's existing character and backstory in the MCU. It's particularly blatant in the finale, but that makes the rest of the show's weaknesses a lot clearer in that light.

Loki's existing character was dead.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Barry Convex posted:

Horned or not, the shoe ended up fitting pretty well. One reason the show worked was that it wasn't conceived from the ground up around Loki's character and backstory. Previously in the MCU Loki has been a figure of passionate interest to all those around him. Love, fear, hatred, contempt he inspires strong reactions and emotions. In the TVA gets indifference. He's treated like a malfunctioning animinatronic in a Disney theme because that's kind of been what he was.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everyone posted:

Horned or not, the shoe ended up fitting pretty well. One reason the show worked was that it wasn't conceived from the ground up around Loki's character and backstory. Previously in the MCU Loki has been a figure of passionate interest to all those around him. Love, fear, hatred, contempt he inspires strong reactions and emotions. In the TVA gets indifference. He's treated like a malfunctioning animinatronic in a Disney theme because that's kind of been what he was.

Loki is Bruce the shark from Jaws.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My only problem with the Loki show was that it ditched all of his character growth because it pulled him out of the Avengers movie before he really starts coming around to being a good guy. They kinda retrofitted into the show though, but him and Hemsworth have good chemistry.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

My only problem with the Loki show was that it ditched all of his character growth because it pulled him out of the Avengers movie before he really starts coming around to being a good guy. They kinda retrofitted into the show though, but him and Hemsworth have good chemistry.

Hiddleston and Wilson play off of each other quite well, too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like them stripping him of the character development, and then giving some of it back by having him be real sad after watching the other version of him have the shittiest life because of his life choices. Having Loki learn from an alternate version of his mistakes is kind of fascinating to watch even if it feels a little convenient.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I like them stripping him of the character development, and then giving some of it back by having him be real sad after watching the other version of him have the shittiest life because of his life choices. Having Loki learn from an alternate version of his mistakes is kind of fascinating to watch even if it feels a little convenient.

It's kind of a running theme. Doctor Strange did the same thing. Spider-Man too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like the show because Tom Hiddleston's a great actor who works well with just about anyone they put in the room and Loki has a lot of potential for different character development, but the main timeline killed him literally right when he started to change. The show giving him a chance to be an antihero who really cares about people and places other than himself gives him a lot of opportunity.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

live with fruit posted:

It's kind of a running theme. Doctor Strange did the same thing. Spider-Man too.

What is the multiverse, if not your fuckups persevering?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

I like the show because Tom Hiddleston's a great actor who works well with just about anyone they put in the room and Loki has a lot of potential for different character development, but the main timeline killed him literally right when he started to change. The show giving him a chance to be an antihero who really cares about people and places other than himself gives him a lot of opportunity.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm hoping we get Wanda back via the multiverse so Elizabeth Olsen and Tom Hiddlestone can get at least one scene together.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Everyone posted:

I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm hoping we get Wanda back via the multiverse so Elizabeth Olsen and Tom Hiddlestone can get at least one scene together.

There's no way Wanda is completely out of the picture. Didn't see a body, multiverse exists, rumors persist that she's getting her own movie, and the Agatha show also would be a good place for her to pop back up.

This all said, agreed. If only because it would probably be the magical equivalent of "we have a Hulk" for Loki.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

Big I Saw the Light fan?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mirotic posted:

There's no way Wanda is completely out of the picture. Didn't see a body, multiverse exists, rumors persist that she's getting her own movie, and the Agatha show also would be a good place for her to pop back up.

This all said, agreed. If only because it would probably be the magical equivalent of "we have a Hulk" for Loki.

I was kind of thinking:

She's a single mom to two imaginary kids.

He's a variant of the Norse god of mischief.

Together, they fight crime.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Olsen's spent a decade on the character, I'd have thought she'd relish leaving it for a good long while and getting back to more interesting work, have a break from floating on wires and waving her hands about.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sentinel Red posted:

Olsen's spent a decade on the character, I'd have thought she'd relish leaving it for a good long while and getting back to more interesting work, have a break from floating on wires and waving her hands about.

I mean, it's not like any of this is even vaguely in the pipeline for at least three years. Maybe after that Olsen will decide she wants some Disney money to by an island off the coast of the continent her sisters bought with all that 90s Olsen twins money.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

She and Paul Bettany said they enjoyed doing Wandavision so much that they wanted more episodes to film after it ended because it finally let both of them play their characters as much as they wanted.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean, this happened in the comics, Wanda did some very, very, very bad things, everyone thought she was dead, she shows up with Dr Doom and she's going to marry him, then the Young Avengers rescue her.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So White Vision is gonna become Dr Doom, is what you're saying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has Paul Bettany said if he’s going to keep playing Vision?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I hope he does so he can keep trolling fans in interviews. I mean, I know it's not what he set out to do in WandaVision but still...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Whomever is editing the Assembled behind-the-scenes show in Disney+ is doing a great job of subtly indicating which actors are pains in the rear end.

The one for Wandavision makes it pretty clear that Bettany is kind of a self-important prick while most of the other actors seem pretty nice. Not that I'm surprised he is, being a Depp bro and all, but it's interesting to see.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TwoPair posted:

I hope he does so he can keep trolling fans in interviews. I mean, I know it's not what he set out to do in WandaVision but still...

Paul will hand the reigns of Vision off to an actor he's admired for a long time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

Paul will hand the reigns of Vision off to an actor he's admired for a long time.

I loved that joke and recall all the insane speculation prior to it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Finally got around to finishing it. Did they do an X-Men sting when Bruno mentioned mutation or am I just a super nerd?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They did

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Squee!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Not sure if this is news but it looks like She-Hulk is shifting to Thursdays rather than Wednesdays. As someone with Thursdays off, this is pleasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lammasu posted:

Finally got around to finishing it. Did they do an X-Men sting when Bruno mentioned mutation or am I just a super nerd?

It will be at least a decade before they do anything more than that though.