Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
So "dirty soda" (soda with add-ins, like cream, etc) is apparently a longstanding Utah/Mormon trend that's now all over Tiktok, and anyone who's either from the South or listens to hip hop from the past 30 years went "Huh?! :stare:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_(drug)#Names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the point of sitcoms is ultimately the cast are the people you work with, so the story has to be about them. So naturally a bond will form when hijinks ensue on the regular.

It’s no more deeper than that

Well of course, but it's also not a good thing to base real life on a fictional show like the article is suggesting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like understanding a sitcom is pretty easy but even this is apparently pretty hard

The episode "the farm" was a backdoor pilot for a spinoff that never got picked up.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Read After Burning posted:

So "dirty soda" (soda with add-ins, like cream, etc) is apparently a longstanding Utah/Mormon trend that's now all over Tiktok, and anyone who's either from the South or listens to hip hop from the past 30 years went "Huh?! :stare:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_(drug)#Names

...poo poo, I only vaguely heard of this and I genuinely thought Mormons were just into Lean.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Midnight Voyager posted:

...poo poo, I only vaguely heard of this and I genuinely thought Mormons were just into Lean.

It would make a certain amount of sense. Can't drink alcohol but as far as I know the Mormons have no edicts against cold medicine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baron von Eevl posted:

The episode "the farm" was a backdoor pilot for a spinoff that never got picked up.

I bet they regret it given how much of a revival The Office has had on streaming.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I bet they regret it given how much of a revival The Office has had on streaming.

Not like it was some sleeper hit when it was on TV, though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eh, it was a supremely unfunny pilot, like a nadir of the worst part of the show. It would have been a serious departure in tone and setting and probably wouldn't have carried over much of The Office's audience.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah the better spin-off of The Office is What We Do In The Shadows.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neito posted:

Not like it was some sleeper hit when it was on TV, though.

I meant in the sense that they would have more office adjacent content to try and fail at drawing in streaming subscribers with

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't even know how hard peacock is trying to get paid subscribers, they're giving everyone with xfinity cable a free premium account and I think there's an ad-supported tier that's probably what most of their userbase uses.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have really been enjoying Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell

It's an office comedy but with demons. Torturing the condemned, tempting mortals, claiming souls for the dark lord

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

I have really been enjoying Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell

It's an office comedy but with demons. Torturing the condemned, tempting mortals, claiming souls for the dark lord

And then the demons show up.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Byzantine posted:

And then the demons show up.

So it's mostly focused on HR then?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't even know how hard peacock is trying to get paid subscribers, they're giving everyone with xfinity cable a free premium account and I think there's an ad-supported tier that's probably what most of their userbase uses.

They're stopping that now and making everyone pay. I only ever used it to watch brooklynn 99 and a couple other shows; there's some neat stuff on there, especially if you're a fan of old WWE content, but beyond a couple of the super long runners it's not worth it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah the better spin-off of The Office is What We Do In The Shadows.

Colinrobinson shouldn't be nearly as funny as he is

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Neito posted:

They're stopping that now and making everyone pay. I only ever used it to watch brooklynn 99 and a couple other shows; there's some neat stuff on there, especially if you're a fan of old WWE content, but beyond a couple of the super long runners it's not worth it.

Gonna get a lot of people dropping lol, it's already barelyworth using and it seems like just a limited Hulu with a nonsensical movie library.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Office is "offices are actually cool and funny to" Parks and Rec "local bureaucracy is funny and cool" to Brooklyn 99-s "cops are funny and cool'
Yup parasocial vibes have always been a part of sitcoms but those three lean harder on it than most, and the people who map their personalities to them often seem incredibly lonely and unfulfilled in their lives.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel bad for them. Feeling lonely sucks

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

I feel bad for them. Feeling lonely sucks

Have you actually met people though? Being lonely is the better of the two.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Gonna get a lot of people dropping lol, it's already barelyworth using and it seems like just a limited Hulu with a nonsensical movie library.

If they put Universal’s library on there it’d probably be pretty competitive but they want it to be associated with TV & NBC for some reason

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inceltown posted:

People are alright

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Inceltown posted:

So are you a Chandler or a Ross

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CelticPredator posted:

People are alright

This sounds like something Chris Traeger would say, I'm more of an April Ludgate

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
People are strange, especially when, and this is key, when you’re a stranger.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ultrafilter posted:

From the Hacker News thread:

quote:

They weren’t ignored. For most of recorded history the basic unit was the family.

it's true, they still have the reference family locked up in a safe in France

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

mind the walrus posted:

Yup parasocial vibes have always been a part of sitcoms but those three lean harder on it than most, and the people who map their personalities to them often seem incredibly lonely and unfulfilled in their lives.

I worked for the Parks department once.

A new coworker had a lot of Parks and Rec swag at her desk. Pictures, magnets, a plush pony. She was incredibly frustrating to with with and left after less than six months. I guess it didn't live up to her dreams.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I use Peacock to watch Columbo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's an NBC streaming service that doesn't have the rights to Friends. How long was it gonna last, really?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I use Peacock to watch Columbo.

*gets up to leave the couch when the credits roll*

Oh, just one more episode.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/RyanMarino/status/1554222939670827008

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/catherine___c/status/1554036812276187136

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm honestly stuck on loop laughing at the way she said 'YES! I BELIEVE IT' immediately after hearing the most unhinged poo poo I've ever heard

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

isn't lyme like... a disease you get from ticks

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
No, its an intergalactic message containing codes from the beginning of time, weren't you listening

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yes, but they're also not talking about real Lyme disease, they're probably talking about "chronic Lyme", which is "a broad array of illnesses or symptom complexes for which there is no reproducible or convincing scientific evidence of any relationship to Borrelia burgdorferi infection"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

They might be talking about "chronic lyme" which is not real but has a massive array of psuedoscientific treatments

e:f,b

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

If there's a disease people will find a way to make it either a god thing or a bioweapon thing.

But yes, it is. Named after the town it was discovered in, Lyme, CT.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skwirl posted:

It would make a certain amount of sense. Can't drink alcohol but as far as I know the Mormons have no edicts against cold medicine.

“Mormon tea” is like coca: North American edition.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it's true, they still have the reference family locked up in a safe in France

Under three nested bell jars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not think she is very balanced at all, actually.