Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tesseraction posted:

Oh hey, Truth Social actually works without needing to go via an iPhone app now. Guess Nunes is worth his salary after all.

Scanning Trump's feed is pretty pathetic it's just him endorsing random congressional candidates for the most part, between long-winded rants about Nancy Pelosi that would definitely benefit from a 280 character limit.
Wasn't that his Twitter feed besides retweeting random cranks/bots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Being trapped into 140 and then 280 characters meant he tended to condense his stream of consciousness into slightly more punchy posts. Unlimited characters means we see his pudding-brain prose at length where he keeps all the unnecessary poo poo you hear when he gives off the cuff speeches at his rallies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's self aggrandizement, ego stroking, bragging, finger pointing and childish name calling all the way down with Donald and always has been. As horrible and lovely as Biden and whatever you call this administration has been, one thing the 1/6 hearings have me reminded me of is how much I hate listening to or reading Trump say or write pretty much anything.

He could read Moby Dick and somehow make it where he personally killed the whale and that no one had ever even heard of or seen a whale, let alone a vessel, until he was the first person ever to buy a boat and discovery the ocean. Or a great boat anyway. The best boat in history many people tell him with tears in their eyes. And also how very few people know it but a whale is not a fish but actually a mammal and he single handedly figured that out.

Actually, he'd probably insist it WAS a fish since it lives in the water and the fake news media calls it a mammal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

It's self aggrandizement, ego stroking, bragging, finger pointing and childish name calling all the way down with Donald and always has been. As horrible and lovely as Biden and whatever you call this administration has been, one thing the 1/6 hearings have me reminded me of is how much I hate listening to or reading Trump say or write pretty much anything.

He could read Moby Dick and somehow make it where he personally killed the whale and that no one had ever even heard of or seen a whale, let alone a vessel, until he was the first person ever to buy a boat and discovery the ocean. Or a great boat anyway. The best boat in history many people tell him with tears in their eyes. And also how very few people know it but a whale is not a fish but actually a mammal and he single handedly figured that out.

Actually, he'd probably insist it WAS a fish since it lives in the water and the fake news media calls it a mammal.

Call me Ishmael, or don't, a lot of people are talking about me and when they do, they call me Ishmael, it's a great name Ishmael, I like it a lot, it's from the Bible you know, I love the Bible, it's my favorite book, right up there with the Art of the Deal, and god what a deal that I made, you see it was seven, maybe eight, or, aw who cares how many years it was but the point is I didn't have any money back then, I was soooo broke, so broke folks, you wouldn't believe it, and I said get me the hell off of this land, I can't stand it, hate the land, it's so dry, so terrible, I'd rather be on a boat, this big beautiful boat, the biggest boat anyone's ever seen before

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
*feverish applause*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Quee…queg? Queequeg. Whatever happened to normal sailors? Where’s Ahab? [wild applause] I like the Ahabs. Not so much the Queequags. I’m gonna bring back the Ahabs, folks. We’re really going to go somewhere now. [pantomimes simultaneously jerking off two guys while “Macho Man” plays over the PA system]

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Can we harpoon the storm?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

bird food bathtub posted:

Propaganda works. This is an entire thread dedicated to the evidence.

I remember at the height of the Apprentice show, before his Presidential run, my mother once during dinner conversation starting go off about what a genius business man Trump was. I started listed the all the failed Trump named business I could think of. She denied them all and just went on about what an amazing business man he was. Today she can't remember that conversation, or won't.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

I remember at the height of the Apprentice show, before his Presidential run, my mother once during dinner conversation starting go off about what a genius business man Trump was. I started listed the all the failed Trump named business I could think of. She denied them all and just went on about what an amazing business man he was. Today she can't remember that conversation, or won't.

Which is funny, because the show actually went out of its way to portray Trump as a cartoonish villain torturing a bunch of poor simps with a fake job opprotunity for the sake of TV hay. Like serious, I don't know how any media literate person could watch a single episode of the Apprentice and come away liking Donald Trump or thinking he was the hero of the story, but then again I just sank the ship of thought right up front by using the words "media literate", so I've answered my question.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is funny, because the show actually went out of its way to portray Trump as a cartoonish villain torturing a bunch of poor simps with a fake job opprotunity for the sake of TV hay. Like serious, I don't know how any media literate person could watch a single episode of the Apprentice and come away liking Donald Trump or thinking he was the hero of the story, but then again I just sank the ship of thought right up front by using the words "media literate", so I've answered my question.

"Main character therefore good" is as far as most people get. The entire point of Scott Pilgrim is that Scott's an rear end in a top hat who hosed up the lives of a lot of people and refused to admit it until a moment of epiphany, but a lot of people still think he was a cool and quirky guy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neito posted:

"Main character therefore good" is as far as most people get. The entire point of Scott Pilgrim is that Scott's an rear end in a top hat who hosed up the lives of a lot of people and refused to admit it until a moment of epiphany, but a lot of people still think he was a cool and quirky guy.

Scott Pilgrim gets even worse when you realize that Scott and Ramona are Bryan Lee O'Malley and Hope Larson, and the real end of the story is that they get divorced and want nothing to do with each other anymore.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

nine-gear crow posted:

Scott Pilgrim gets even worse when you realize that Scott and Ramona are Bryan Lee O'Malley and Hope Larson, and the real end of the story is that they get divorced and want nothing to do with each other anymore.

I can't say I paid much attention to post-Seconds O'Malley. I've heard Snot Girl... exists?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Neito posted:

Most people I talk to unironically think The Wolf of Wall Street is just about a bold, quirky fun guy trying to make money and be a boss. And the people who got in his way were just jealous boring squares.

Pretty much the entirety of the crypto/NFT/gamer communities think the same of the REAL Jordan Belfort.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neito posted:

I can't say I paid much attention to post-Seconds O'Malley. I've heard Snot Girl... exists?

I just remember going to check out some of Larson's comics a few years back and in the process I read that her and O'Malley divorced in 2014, and I thought that given how much he professed that Scott Pilgrim was just a very dressed up version of the story of his courtship of her, the fact that they ultimately broke up after barely a decade together made me go "Yeah, that sounds about right."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In Trump's case it would just be a simple matter of "Scott PILGRIM. I love the pilgrims don't you folks?" so right away he's a good guy because of his name.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"And he's against the world, folks, everyone is out to get him, just like your favourite president."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

"And he's against the world, folks, everyone is out to get him, just like your favourite president."

And just like Scott, Trump is also hot for and dates/dated teenagers :haw:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I got some bad news when I was picking up snacks for my cat this morning.

When did the national enquirer stop being a comedy rag?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

J-Lo nooooooo!

Oh you mean the civil war, yeah that seems pretty bleak. Why is it reporting on the Jan 6 insurrection a year and a half later though?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I imagine you will find the contents disappointing. The Enquirer is a right-wing rag owned by donald trump’s old friend, if I’m remembering the right tabloid.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

IDK they got a pretty big joke right there on the front cover.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The National Enquirer has gone through a lot of changes editorially and ownership-wise over the years. It was the premiere celebrity tabloid sold at the supermarket checkout counter starting in the 1970s, and eventually bought up all of the other ones (Star, Globe, Weekly World News) and that portfolio covered all the bases of celebrity gossip, credulous UFO/Satanic Panic style stories, blatantly made up for laffs poo poo, etc.

The company got sold after the founder died, and got acquired/spun off several time before ending up with its current owners, who have repeatedly declared bankruptcy and then somehow came out the other side to acquire even more dying magazine brands, though they announced a few years ago that they were selling the Enquirer and the other tabloids to Hudson Group, who mostly just run shops in airports and bus terminals. That does not seem to have ever happened.

The guy who was friends with Trump is former CEO David Pecker, who got his break in publishing editing Trump Style, the official magazine of Trump hotels and golf courses back in the 1990s. They stayed friends, and Pecker was doing "catch and kills", paying for exclusive rights to scandalous stories about Trump that he would never publish, for years before Trump even ran for President. Between that and the weird extortion attempts he made on Jeff Bezos and Ronan Farrow, he was asked to resign but is still nebulously "an advisor" to the magazine.

I don't know who the current publisher/EIC is, but it doesn't look like the regime change/aborted sale really changed things that much, though the CIVIL WAR cover feature feels more political/less gossipy than is their tradition.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Thanks for the great write-up! I had it confused with World Weekly News and the exploits of Bat Boy from my childhood.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks for the great write-up! I had it confused with World Weekly News and the exploits of Bat Boy from my childhood.

Don't forget the page 5 girl, mmmmrow. Yes please I will take 1 grainy b and w picture of a woman dressed more conservatively than the underwear models in the sears catalog.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
he is drat near forty, when can we call him bat man?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

World Famous W posted:

Do you wanna be sued by Warner Bros.? What the gently caress is wrong with you?!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I recall my jug-of-wine aunt would get every tabloid rag the grocery store had in stock and then hand them off to my folks who would sit around laughing at them. Lots of really silly poo poo in those, stuff you couldn't make up without some level of buying into crazy.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Edge & Christian posted:

The National Enquirer has gone through a lot of changes editorially and ownership-wise over the years. It was the premiere celebrity tabloid sold at the supermarket checkout counter starting in the 1970s, and eventually bought up all of the other ones (Star, Globe, Weekly World News) and that portfolio covered all the bases of celebrity gossip, credulous UFO/Satanic Panic style stories, blatantly made up for laffs poo poo, etc.

One little clarification on this. Weekly World News wasn't purchased by the Enquirer. It was designed in-house to use the Enquirer's old black and white printing press after the flagship paper moved to color.

But it was fun since it was just unhinged craziness rather than celebrity gossip.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I like how Men in Black portrayed that the tabloids were actually the best journalism going and space aliens like Bat Boy could hide in plain sight on their front page.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Killer robot posted:

One little clarification on this. Weekly World News wasn't purchased by the Enquirer. It was designed in-house to use the Enquirer's old black and white printing press after the flagship paper moved to color.

But it was fun since it was just unhinged craziness rather than celebrity gossip.
Yeah, the last time I looked at WWN (early-mid 00's?) it was basically an intentional self-parody. A comedy publication, really.

Their website suggests that things have stayed pretty much the same, including leaning very heavily into the "Bat Boy" IP.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Alex Jones is going to be taking the stand tomorrow in his defamation trial. I can see this going well.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Aren't those kinds of tabloids largely kept around for catch-and-kill purposes?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ryde posted:

Alex Jones is going to be taking the stand tomorrow in his defamation trial. I can see this going well.

He had a full on meltdown under cross-examination during his deposition. Him being in an actual courtroom in front of a jury would be somehow even worse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nine-gear crow posted:

He had a full on meltdown under cross-examination during his deposition. Him being in an actual courtroom in front of a jury would be somehow even worse.

When was it that he ripped his shirt off and ran screaming from the room, his divorce proceedings or the subsequent custody hearing (where I'm pretty sure he tried the chili-amnesia gambit)? Regardless, I seem to recall that got brought up early on in his current suit and one of his lawyers responded something to the tune of, "oh that's just something he does from time to time, ignore it."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

World Famous W posted:

we used to call him Crazy Joe

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

When was it that he ripped his shirt off and ran screaming from the room, his divorce proceedings or the subsequent custody hearing (where I'm pretty sure he tried the chili-amnesia gambit)? Regardless, I seem to recall that got brought up early on in his current suit and one of his lawyers responded something to the tune of, "oh that's just something he does from time to time, ignore it."

Chili amnesia?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

World Famous W posted:

I think it's "junior Senator from Florida" now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Neito posted:

Chili amnesia?

Oh you missed one of his worst lies in court? https://twitter.com/jtilovetx/status/854350731415105537?lang=en-GB

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I somehow did miss that. What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Neito posted:

I somehow did miss that. What.

It's Alex Jones. Don't think about the lie too hard your brain will dribble out your ears.