Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The world is extremely empty and boring, which is extra disappointing because the plateau is dense and exciting, and that moment when you finally drop off it if and have the whole of Hyrule in front of you is like a top 5 gaming moment. That said, back in the summer of 2017 there wasn't anything else to play on the Switch so people stockholmed themselves into thinking the game was special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Squiggly posted:

I did buy Resident Evil 4 for the 5th time though, I'll buy it on every system I can

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Come back anytoime.

Edit: as I continually pine and hope for gyro controls for this game on Switch, that reminds me; for anyone who can, definitely check out RE4 VR. Especially in immersive mode where you're accessing things based on where they are on Leon (gun on right hip, shotgun behind right shoulder, knife holstered on your chest).

Makes the first village part VERY stressful, but you can also aim literally wherever, so that's awesome.

I am bad at reloading the shotgun.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 1, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the early sidequests in XBC3 is from a guy who's entire unit of trained soldiers was killed by bunny rabbits.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Different people like different things, it's all cool.

Totally. I’ll still recommend everyone give BOTW a shot, especially if they claim to be into side quests and collecting poo poo since that may as well be the game’s subtitle, but if you try it and it’s not your cup of tea then welp :shrug: it is what it is

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Crawl is one of the baddest games ever and is a must play if you like couch games. I think it's vastly underrated. Hard mode is truly bastard hard too if you're into that

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I will never deny BotW is a great game, but for me the fun in Zeldas were exploring dungeons and finding new items for the puzzles. BotW being mostly lots of small puzzles, where you get 90% of the tools needed at the very beggining because you're suppossed to be able to beat the game right after the tutorial (even if not likely), kinda dampens my interest after the Plateau.

For the people who like dicking around and exploring and such it's probably one of the best, indeed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Twilight Princess is still my fave Zelda for the simple reason that it had the coolest dungeons, all top tier with the exception of that one really disappointing one.

nintendo you should port that one to the switch, i will pay you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I started to really dislike Zelda’s dungeons by TP so breath of the wild was manna from heaven

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Crawl is one of the baddest games ever and is a must play if you like couch games. I think it's vastly underrated. Hard mode is truly bastard hard too if you're into that

Well, congrats; this post sold me on it, Andi and it was nice to get it for so cheap now that it's on sale.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I will never deny BotW is a great game, but for me the fun in Zeldas were exploring dungeons and finding new items for the puzzles. BotW being mostly lots of small puzzles, where you get 90% of the tools needed at the very beggining because you're suppossed to be able to beat the game right after the tutorial (even if not likely), kinda dampens my interest after the Plateau.

For the people who like dicking around and exploring and such it's probably one of the best, indeed.

Yeah that is one thing I found really lacking in BOTW, I hope the sequel brings back proper dungeons

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

nintendo you should port that one to the switch, i will pay you

Add in Wind Waker and :same:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wouldn’t be shocked if that never comes out at this rate seeing as how they’re apparently completely hosed with the remake of 1

Is the only source for this still Schreier at Bloomberg who? Because his inside sources told him the Switch Pro was definitely coming out last year

Electromax
May 6, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

the fun in Zeldas were exploring dungeons and finding new items for the puzzles. BotW being mostly lots of small puzzles, where you get 90% of the tools needed at the very beggining

In theory I would agree, but the Zelda series overall has really been worn down by having a similar set of items for a bunch of the games = a similar bunch of puzzle concepts that felt very rote in parts of TP. Arrows into eyes, boomerangs into vines, zzzz. They are also mostly lots of small puzzles, the rooms are just connected instead of being split across shrines. But only a handful range outside the room they are in, and you know the solution will involve the item you just found so it's even more mindless.

I think the item rental in LttP2 was an interesting approach, although it might've resulted in simpler dungeons as well. I hope if dungeons come back they find a way to embody the open spirit of BotW somehow, instead of reverting to formula. Make it OK for the player to get stuck if they find a dungeon early and come back later or allow multiple solutions to a puzzle instead of one prescribed one for instance. (Easier said than done)

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I played Witcher 3 and horizon zero dawn right before I finally got a switch with BOTW and thought the combat was weak and the open world was pointlessly large, empty and boring so I sold it. I later replayed it after open world burnout disappeared and enjoyed it a bit more ignoring most of the combat and just finding some of the more interestingly built areas and shrines.

I am giving myself a big window before I try play another open world game after Elden ring.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Streets of Rage 4 was on sale, and I don't think I enjoy beat em ups like I used to. I'm finding myself frustrated by which 2d plane I'm on, in relation to enemies, and while I uselessly flail my fists past the enemy, oopsie, they can run diagonally and stab mem then I'm just in a cycle of getting knocked down, whiffing two strikes, and getting knocked down again.
I really like the music and art and animation, and want to enjoy the gameplay.
Maybe I'm having an off day.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is N64 really $60 a year? When the other stuff is $20?

That's hilarious.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Waltzing Along posted:

Is N64 really $60 a year? When the other stuff is $20?

That's hilarious.

It's $50, and also comes with the paid DLC expansions for games and Genesis games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Willo567 posted:

It's $50, and also comes with the paid DLC expansions for games and Genesis games.
It's only $30 (USD) on top of the base NSO, so for the $50 total you also get cloud saves, multiplayer, and NES/SNES.

It's also a totally valid complaint that the first two of those should be free and they should have GB/GBC/GBA at least on NSO by now too.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I would pay $110 a year if Nintendo treated their poo poo like Disney+ treats theirs

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

B33rChiller posted:

Streets of Rage 4 was on sale, and I don't think I enjoy beat em ups like I used to. I'm finding myself frustrated by which 2d plane I'm on, in relation to enemies, and while I uselessly flail my fists past the enemy, oopsie, they can run diagonally and stab mem then I'm just in a cycle of getting knocked down, whiffing two strikes, and getting knocked down again.

Same here. Used to be able to fly through these types of games but now I'm old and barely functional.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Shield sliding down a chill, snowy mountain is great. Good times shredding powder.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weird. I paid for the MK8 xpac and it tells me it is $52 to upgrade to the N64 stuff. I think they really badly need to work out their system.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mr.Acula posted:

I would pay $110 a year if Nintendo treated their poo poo like Disney+ treats theirs
Have to be honest, I had pretty low expectations for Disney+ but it's actually a really fantastic service. And yes, if all of Nintendo's IP were suddenly available on NSO I would easily pay double.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Have to be honest, I had pretty low expectations for Disney+ but it's actually a really fantastic service. And yes, if all of Nintendo's IP were suddenly available on NSO I would easily pay double.

I think a large chunk of Nintendo's first party stuff is on their service. The problem is that Capcom and Konami seem to prefer releasing compilations of their major franchises over putting games on those services (Mega Man, Castlevania and Contra, although for some reason Konami put out Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps on the Genesis portion of the service), while Square-Enix would rather remake/remaster their older games and sell them, and have absolutely no interest in the service given that they have no titles on the NES and SNES side of it.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 2, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the early sidequests in XBC3 is from a guy who's entire unit of trained soldiers was killed by bunny rabbits.
I think that might also be an NPC in an Etrian Odyssey game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Commander Keene posted:

I think that might also be an NPC in an Etrian Odyssey game.

Also a Monty Python film

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

The world is extremely empty and boring

only if the person playing it is

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

All the way too much of nothing made it more fun to float around from extremely high up. big fan of doing that

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
They should make a game that's like BotW except your goal is to take pictures of cool animals and instead of walking around and killing monsters I am instead friends with all the monsters and they tell me where the cool animals are and how to lure them into good spots for photos. Hire me, Nintendo.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Bleck posted:

They should make a game that's like BotW except your goal is to take pictures of cool animals and instead of walking around and killing monsters I am instead friends with all the monsters and they tell me where the cool animals are and how to lure them into good spots for photos. Hire me, Nintendo.

You're basically looking for Pokemon Snap

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

But not on rails

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

B33rChiller posted:

it's a tough game, takes a good while to get used to the spacing and stuff. the tutorial is surprisingly good though, particularly the combo tutorials for the different characters.

the jump button is really good, it has functional invincibility against 95% of the enemies and their attacks. grabbing and throwing also gives you i-frames. the forward special is really, really good for i-framing out of lovely situations as long as you can follow it up with more attacks to regain your life.

i'm stuck on the last level on hard. i do great until the roving gangs of porky fat fucks turn up and roll into me and drain all my lives so i can't beat the last boss. there's something about their diagonal rolling that make me short-circuit and get wrecked.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
They should patch up BotW with a mode that adds a poo poo tonne of markers on the world map telling players what they can do like an Ubisoft game because otherwise some players might feel like there's nothing to do in the open world.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Weird. I paid for the MK8 xpac and it tells me it is $52 to upgrade to the N64 stuff. I think they really badly need to work out their system.

Are you on the family plan? And are you in Canada or the US?

Also, are you expecting some sort of discount for having bought the MK8 dlc as standalone? Because no, that's not happening.

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Got this itch to buy a Switch OLED. I can probably get it for cheap if I trade in my Xbox One X + some games.

Already have a Switch Lite though. Ugh not sure what to do.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

eravulgaris posted:

Got this itch to buy a Switch OLED. I can probably get it for cheap if I trade in my Xbox One X + some games.

Already have a Switch Lite though. Ugh not sure what to do.

Woot has it for $325 right now

Not a huge savings but it's something I guess. I don't know what buying from Woot is like nowadays though...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can anyone speak for Road Redemption and if it still has long load times? That's the main thing stopping me from getting it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bleck posted:

Large Testicles posted:

You're basically looking for Pokemon Snap

yung lambic posted:

But not on rails

Not the same thing but Pokemon: Arceus is kind of close wrt you can walk around and be a nature photographer of beasts. The combat isn't even as deep as the main games and it's more explorative.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 2, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I thought the first dungeon in Breath of the Wild was really cool. But then you get to the others and find, oh, every dungeon is pretty much the same.

This is the same reaction I'd have no matter what dungeon I started with.

Anyway in Into the Breach, is there a benefit for taking on the Volcanic island early/late? Is it just a matter of farming some rep to get some extra power or something. Also i juuuuuust found out that when you move someone you can undo the move. Pro gamer right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Morpheus posted:

I thought the first dungeon in Breath of the Wild was really cool. But then you get to the others and find, oh, every dungeon is pretty much the same.

This is the same reaction I'd have no matter what dungeon I started with.

Anyway in Into the Breach, is there a benefit for taking on the Volcanic island early/late? Is it just a matter of farming some rep to get some extra power or something. Also i juuuuuust found out that when you move someone you can undo the move. Pro gamer right here.

If you take the final island later, you'll potentially be more powerful but the enemies will definitely be stronger and more plentiful, and you'll get a higher score at the end. You might want to wait if you've got some weapons you haven't got the cores to power up properly yet.