Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are there tandem disc hubs that aren't 145?
Are builders switching to super boost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Seems like machining a little insert to go inside each hub end and create a QR end would be achievable, esp for someone of mikemelbrooks' inclination. And then a dicier adapter to space out the rotor.
Yeah, it is going to need a rotor spacer to work out. I made a drawing that will show what happens if we just make some endcaps to fit in a hypothetical DT350 hub:

The redishing would bring the non drive side relative tension from ~60% to a floppy ~28%.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hmm, maybe an endcap wouldn't work on the DS side... any extra width would push the cassette further inboard from the designed position.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

mikemelbrooks posted:

Is it possible to convert a 142mm thru axle hub to a 145mm qr bike? I have been given a pair of gravel wheels and would like to try a gravel ride on a tandem.

It's not possible, but I have a 145mm tandem disc QR rear wheel I'd sell you for a very reasonable price. DT/Hugi hub, 11spd mtb cassette body, thread-on so you can run either drum or 6bolt disc.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Does anyone have a video showing normal drivetrain noise for a waxed chain? Single speed/fixed gear if possible, I'm seeing differing opinions online on how quiet they are and since it's the internet at least half of them are idiots and wrong.

I think I'm just hearing the chain mesh with the cog/chainring but some people are claiming quietest drivetrain ever and if you have any noise you did something wrong.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

It's not possible, but I have a 145mm tandem disc QR rear wheel I'd sell you for a very reasonable price. DT/Hugi hub, 11spd mtb cassette body, thread-on so you can run either drum or 6bolt disc.

Good luck with that shopping cost.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Waste of Breath posted:

Does anyone have a video showing normal drivetrain noise for a waxed chain? Single speed/fixed gear if possible, I'm seeing differing opinions online on how quiet they are and since it's the internet at least half of them are idiots and wrong.

I think I'm just hearing the chain mesh with the cog/chainring but some people are claiming quietest drivetrain ever and if you have any noise you did something wrong.

I run a waxed chain on my track bike and it's relatively noisy - but especially if you run too much chain tension. Loose is fast. Deep wheels/disc exacerbate noise, too.
Happy to record a vidya next time I'm out there.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, maybe an endcap wouldn't work on the DS side... any extra width would push the cassette further inboard from the designed position.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think it maybe possible for me to make up a spacer to push the freehub and or cassette over to a usable position. Spacing out the disk brake should be relatively easy as it's a 6bolt hub, and there are plenty of boost type spacers available.The wheels are missing the free hub so I am waiting for a new one to arrive.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

bicievino posted:

Thanks but the tandem isn't even mine, just piloting it for a friend. I didn't realise DT took over Hugi.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Waste of Breath posted:

It really depends on how long between waxes and how concentric are your front and rear sprockets and their alignment. The tandem I ride has belt drive between front and rear cranks and thats really smooth.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

bicievino posted:

I run a waxed chain on my track bike and it's relatively noisy - but especially if you run too much chain tension. Loose is fast. Deep wheels/disc exacerbate noise, too.
Happy to record a vidya next time I'm out there.

Thanks, just seeing someone who I know has experience call it "relatively noisy" goes a long way to allay my worries. Word on the chain tension, I have always preferred a decent amount of play (plus my chainring is apparently nowhere near round so I gotta set tension off the tight spot).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Waste of Breath posted:

waxed is quiet but not silent

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I hate money and want a unicorn bike that doesn't exist. Current gearbox bikes don't have brifter options without cables sticking out the side which messes with my feng shui/~~aesthetics~~, or they require taking my hands off the hoods to shift which is no-bueno. So, bike I'm building right now will have SRAM AXS mullet setup. In a year though when e-bikes make gearboxes viable and wireless shifting is the norm I'll be real interested in a pinion gearbox and carbon drive. Could a frame builder convert a traditional bb to gearbox mount? If so, what would be involved?

Just getting another frame is not possible in this hypothetical situation.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
It would be pretty major frame surgery to chop out the BB and weld in the pinion fixture. I wouldn't bet hard on ASX/Pinion compatibility any time soon.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

As a guess, I'd assume welding together a whole new bike frame would be cheaper than replacing the bottom bracket cluster like that

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Pay someone to make you a pinion frame, then pay me the same amount (plus materials) to make you a prototype electronic brifter. It'll be a fun project.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Fair enough. I guess I should just be less of a punk and clean my chain like an adult instead of dropping 3k plus on the lazy option.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Why not just go Di2 Alfine

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is there a difference between alfine and Nexus that's more than just more/less fancy than? Is it that it's compatible with brifters or something?

I have a Nexus 7 speed and an old rsx 7 speed brifter, is it even worth trying to make them work together? Obviously the shift pattern will be reversed but that's fine by me.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Is there a difference between alfine and Nexus that's more than just more/less fancy than? Is it that it's compatible with brifters or something?

I have a Nexus 7 speed and an old rsx 7 speed brifter, is it even worth trying to make them work together? Obviously the shift pattern will be reversed but that's fine by me.

No. The cable pull is different and riding the nexus constantly in between gears is gonna gently caress up the hub. Nexus might even have different amount of cable pull for different gears so you can't really get around it. The same goes for alfine and the only compatible brifters are electric.

I think I've seen maybe microshift bar end shifters for nexus sometime so I'd look into that if you want nexus / alfine and dropbars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Figures, ah well.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Is there a difference between alfine and Nexus that's more than just more/less fancy than?
disc brake support.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

CopperHound posted:

disc brake support.

They make disc brake nexus hubs now. There's maybe no thruaxle nexus? I tried looking for a difference and comparing nexus 8 and alfine 8 the range is exactly the same and the weight is within 10 grams so I'm guessing the difference isn't huge.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

mikemelbrooks posted:

Is it possible to convert a 142mm thru axle hub to a 145mm qr bike? I have been given a pair of gravel wheels and would like to try a gravel ride on a tandem.

I completely missed the tandem part my bad. And now I'm finally back where there's cell service.

This isn't something I'd wanna bodge tbh. Any resources spent trying to make this work would be better spent lacing some gravel rims onto your hubs. The hoops you'd have to jump through to bodge this would most likely be a wasted effort or at worst damage the gravel hubs and also your body.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how much of a boomer/fudd am i for thinking electronic shifting and disc brakes on strictly road bikes is just a way to soak dentists for couple extra grand? have disc brakes suddenly gotten a lot better/have considerable advantages over double-pivot brakes in the last few years?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's so 5 years from now you have to subscribe to an online service and be billed monthly or Shimano/SRAM will turn your bike into a single speed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

how much of a boomer/fudd am i for thinking electronic shifting and disc brakes on strictly road bikes is just a way to soak dentists for couple extra grand? have disc brakes suddenly gotten a lot better/have considerable advantages over double-pivot brakes in the last few years?

re: disc brakes,

they work in all weather conditions, and more consistently

they make it so your rims are not wear items

they don’t inhibit wider tire sizes

that’s enough reason for me

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

TenementFunster posted:

Listen buddy, if you can think of a better way to create value for Shimano's shareholders than forcing the entire industry to use a new standard they invented, they'd love to hear it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SimonSays posted:

Listen buddy, if you can think of a better way to create value for Shimano's shareholders than forcing the entire industry to use a new standard they invented, they'd love to hear it.
okay, so imagine an 11-26 cassette, but here’s the kicker: 16 speed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

Disc brakes rule and they should be on everything, cable or hydro, whatever they are objectively better.

Electronic shifting with software updates and all the other modern tech bullshit attached is a revolting concept and you'll take my lovely cables from my cold dead hands.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Disc brakes rule and they should be on everything, cable or hydro, whatever they are objectively better.

Electronic shifting with software updates and all the other modern tech bullshit attached is a revolting concept and you'll take my lovely cables from my cold dead hands.

The jagwire enjoyer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Electric shifting with rim brakes is delightful though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

The jagwire enjoyer

Had to google, looks expensive, regular old Shimano will do me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Electric shifting with rim brakes is delightful though

Each to their own, good rim brakes work fine but discs are preferable for me.

I don't really see the point of electronic shifting, seems like a huge increase in bullshit for a tiny weight and appearance gain. I also like the mechanical positivity of changing gears with a cable, I think it's analogous to a car with a clutch and gear shifter vs a button shifted auto.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I kinda understand the appeal of electronic shifting, in that it can do micro adjustments and timing optimizations that are just not possible with a mechanical set up. But no way I'm paying the price tag for it.

And one of the beautiful thing about bicycles, to me, is that they don't require any electronic bullshit to work. Elegance in the mechanical simplicity.

But I'm done with rim brakes. Disc brakes for life. Rim brakes are fine but given the choice I would never ever choose them over discs.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 2, 2022

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
once you've experienced auto fd trim and on the fly adjustments you'll never go back

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Slavvy posted:

i hate adjusting them, tho

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

i hate adjusting them, tho

I hate adjusting rim brakes more :shrug:

Guinness posted:

And one of the beautiful thing about bicycles, to me, is that they don't require any electronic bullshit to work. Elegance in the mechanical simplicity.

This. I fundamentally do not want electricity and chips anywhere near my bike. The whole point is it works on muscle power alone, for me. If I want electronic assistance of whatever kind I'll just ride my motorcycle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I hate adjusting rim brakes more :shrug:

Rim brakes teach you how fleeting beauty is. You set up your pads floating less than a mm above perfectly true new rims, and then they rub the moment your slam into the first crack in the road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Rim brakes teach you how fleeting beauty is. You set up your pads floating less than a mm above perfectly true new rims, and then they rub the moment your slam into the first crack in the road.

It's just an endless dance between a desire for as little play as possible vs a desire to not hear irritating rubbing.

And that's assuming you don't have to actually take the pads OUT, yes let's just have 3 axes of adjustment all controlled by the one lovely lock nut where, again, you have to balance getting the pad perfectly orientated vs tightening it enough that it doesn't lose position and jam and kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Guinness posted:

they make it so your rims are not wear items
This is such a non-issue, people have toured on the same bike for a decade and not had an issue.

Slavvy posted:

a desire to not hear irritating rubbing.

Are you in fact talking about disc brakes?

Slavvy posted:

Had to google, looks expensive, regular old Shimano will do me.
Why do you think anyone has a bike beyond 105, it’s not for function. Looking expensive is the selling point.