Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bugsy posted:

Seems like it would work like Tergrid does except only one per turn.

"Whenever an opponent sacrifices a nontoken permanent or discards a permanent card, you may put that card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control."

That's pretty much it, like I said it was taken with a potato phone so the exact wording is kind of illegible.

How does that interact with Madness or the KND robot that gives everything Madness. It's your turn so you can stack the Madness trigger above an opponents Sheoldred, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think it's likely that they don't see Standard as a huge growth market, since Commander is the big focus of casual paper play, they're still loving around with and downplaying events and the PT system is dead, and both MTGO and Arena have eternal formats they are actively focusing on. Drafts, sure, drafts get asses in seats and products sold, but the rotating Standard format isn't making the big bucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jiro posted:

Seriously, how could they not realize people would be really loving salty about that? It would be weird if they didn't acknowledge it but it's even weirder for them to be kind of disingenuous about it.
they do realize.

they just don't care.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
starting to suspect some of you folks don't play commander

like, at all

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's honestly what brought me back into playing Mtg. The idea of smushing your entire collection together and only needing ONE of something? Instead of other formats where you would need like two or more? Yeah on paper that was the main thing that interested me the most.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Reynold posted:

like, at all

I left behind my usual play group when I left california and just haven't been able to find one.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
are there not more games played of formats on arena than folks playing commander in paper? i surely have to imagine it's not the most popular by games played since arena exists now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

uggy posted:

are there not more games played of formats on arena than folks playing commander in paper? i surely have to imagine it's not the most popular by games played since arena exists now

I don't know how much of his state of the game covers digital.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reynold posted:

like, at all

That’s right

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Reynold posted:

like, at all

not for a long time

I understand the appeal to newcomers and casuals, and I did legitimately enjoy it at first, but as time went on the warts became impossible to ignore. the single player 4-of constructed formats have more interesting gameplay loops in my opinion

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's pretty much it, like I said it was taken with a potato phone so the exact wording is kind of illegible.

How does that interact with Madness or the KND robot that gives everything Madness. It's your turn so you can stack the Madness trigger above an opponents Sheoldred, right?

Madness, as a replacement effect, sends the card to exile instead of your graveyard when you discard it, so it isn't in the graveyard for Sheoldred to steal.

I think if you choose not to cast it Sheoldred would take it, though.

e: Containment Construct would depend on who's turn it is, usual AP-NAP stuff.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 1, 2022

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Reynold posted:

like, at all

Why would I?

E: For content I kind of think the leaked Sheoldred is fake because the effects aren't really good mirrors of each other and the whole Praetor thing is mirrored "positive for you" and "bad for opponent" effects. On the other hand the fact that they're so awkwardly not mirrors of each other makes it kind of likely to be a WotC design since no amateur card creator would go out trying to make a card with 2 mirrored effects and end up with that.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 1, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I really like standard as a home for a more low powered constructed format but rotations being so aggressive now and a lack of support for it here make me not want to play it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Commander is just playing Solitaire at a table with a bunch of other people, and talking to each other about how your Solitaire game is going, and very occasionally interacting with their Solitaire game

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

Commander is just playing Solitaire at a table with a bunch of other people, and talking to each other about how your Solitaire game is going, and very occasionally interacting with their Solitaire game

:thunk:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

precision posted:

Reynold posted:

like, at all

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

precision posted:

Play in better pods.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

I really like standard as a home for a more low powered constructed format but rotations being so aggressive now and a lack of support for it here make me not want to play it.

What do you mean? Rotation is still once a year, isn't it?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

kalel posted:

not for a long time

I understand the appeal to newcomers and casuals, and I did legitimately enjoy it at first, but as time went on the warts became impossible to ignore. the single player 4-of constructed formats have more interesting gameplay loops in my opinion

I'm a relative newcomer and casual and tbh I don't understand what the appeal is supposed to be for a newcomer. An Enfranchised casual player, yeah it makes perfect sense to me, "finally a home for all these otherwise unplayable leftovers that I already have lying around."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

What do you mean? Rotation is still once a year, isn't it?

It is, but it felt like there were a lot more upgrades needed to have a decent deck when each set came out compared to when I started.

Now I have to update my modern/leg decks when sets come out so jamming standard on top of that is too much £££/€€€/$$$ every few months

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Reynold posted:

like, at all

yeah because it sucks rear end, op

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lots of people are super high on commander and I see people playing when I go to fnm but it seems like a completely different game to me. Going from 2 player constructed/limited to 4 player politics management is a big change in how things are handled.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I play commander with my friends, but playing with randos seems like the worst experience since i can only assume they all act like the commander players who insist on posting here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Commander is as good as the people you play it with. Standard is as good as the most recent sets regardless of who you play against. Imo designing with “these cards will def be played with older cards” in mind is way better than “if it happens that’s a nice coincidence”

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Commander? I barely know ‘er

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
everyone i've ever talked to IRL about playing Commander has been of the "the goal isn't to win, the goal is just for all of us to cast our cool dudes"

i used to love playing two-headed giant, that needs to come back so bad

i also used to like the variant where you have 5 players and you attack your two "enemies" and you have two "friends"

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

everyone i've ever talked to IRL about playing Commander has been of the "the goal isn't to win, the goal is just for all of us to cast our cool dudes"

That's battlecruiser edh and something I avoid like the plague too. It's quite possibly the most boring mtg experience.

High power and cEDH is where it's at. 4 player competitive legacy singleton where you just play like you would any other format.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you want to play high-powered singleton, may I suggest vintage?

The litmus test I use for a good commander group is their reaction to when I drop Ashnod's Coupon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh man I hope they make an Ashnod card and it's cool as hell.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

precision posted:

i used to love playing two-headed giant, that needs to come back so bad

i also used to like the variant where you have 5 players and you attack your two "enemies" and you have two "friends"

The espousing and enforcement of Commander as a “casual format” is probably the biggest single issue that haunts the format. People come to the table with different expectations, even with a “Rule 0” talk. That’s also why it’s fun to play with a group of regular friends and often bad with strangers.

Edit:

Framboise posted:

High power and cEDH is where it's at. 4 player competitive legacy singleton where you just play like you would any other format.

Yeah this exactly. Everyone knows what the goal is in cEDH, so all the players on the same page and have the same expectations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Commander is popular because most casual players view their decks as a way to express their personality and the format is way better at meeting that goal than any other.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
60 card constructed "cards i own" is better at that than commander.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Commander on its own is whatever because it keeps the LGS afloat selling Kaalia's for $16 or whatever but boy does it really grind my gears when it starts negatively affecting real formats. Looking at you Baldur's Gate.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You also don't need four of a bunch of different rates and mythics that are going to rotate out in a year either. You can start by putting your best cards of x colours in the deck and even at first you probably won't come in dead last every single game because you can make a decent case for not being a big threat to anyone.

reignonyourparade posted:

60 card constructed "cards i own" is better at that than commander.
Who plays that though? If you show up at an lgs, people aren't going to have decks sleeved up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eej posted:

Commander on its own is whatever because it keeps the LGS afloat selling Kaalia's for $16 or whatever but boy does it really grind my gears when it starts negatively affecting real formats. Looking at you Baldur's Gate.

what did baldur's gate do to "real formats?" from what i remember approximately 0% of it looked good enough for any other format

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

If you want to play high-powered singleton, may I suggest vintage?

If people actually played vintage and they were pro-proxy, I'd be open to trying it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Arivia posted:

what did baldur's gate do to "real formats?" from what i remember approximately 0% of it looked good enough for any other format

It replaced a core set release.

e: Gonna double check if they just completely rescheduled sets this year because of Return to Return to Innistrad being split into two sets

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eej posted:

It replaced a core set release.

did it? i thought that was what was happening with the extra dominaria stuff, i don't think standard rotated on the baldur's gate set release or anything.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

odiv posted:

Who plays that though? If you show up at an lgs, people aren't going to have decks sleeved up.

It's the most popular format by far actually, basically every time people from WotC talk about their internal data that hasn't changed. Just... mostly played by people who don't go to LGSes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Arivia posted:

did it? i thought that was what was happening with the extra dominaria stuff, i don't think standard rotated on the baldur's gate set release or anything.

Standard rotates on the set after the Core release, which would be Dominaria United. I just double checked and Innistrad being split into two sets means it hosed up the release cadence and it changed to

Midnight Hunt Sept '21
Crimson Vow Nov '21
Kamigawa Feb '22
New Capenna Apr '22

Normally a Core release would be a July release but instead we got Baldur's Gate so Constructed formats have to go from April to September without seeing anything new which is kind of ridiculous