Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

General Dog posted:

Have any of these campaigns been funny since about halfway through Balance?

This post is funnier than anything they've done since halfway through Balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If they're hellbent on using D&D just run a pre-written campaign and play characters that are fun instead of deliberate assholes, it'd turn out a lot better

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
All of them are funny in the middle, with some good moments in the beginning and the end, less so near the end, and almost not at all for the last episode.

The funniest moment in this episode by far was literally a toilet joke.
Dylan is loving hilarious. Even the fact that he exists is funny.

I'm not entirely sure which is worse, Zooks not telling anyone about the Blink Sharks, or the entirely manufactured conflict between Koda (doesn't want anyone to go through the portal) and Amber (did not intend to go through the portal until Koda said not to.)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 30, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Realize most of ya'll are probably already aware of it, but the McElory's mini-season (6 ep) of Dimension 20 is comedy gold back to front. Justin is firing on all cylinders, Travis and Clinton get semi-serious characters with actually well handled arcs, and Griffin plays a chaotic goof monk with the most wholesome handling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-y98OYaXu8

Which is to say, it'd be nice if they brought in other DM's to AZ to help better tailor an adventure to their impulses.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRDfVyz-PE

I wish I could find the humor in this video but unfortunately it's well past the first half of balance so I guess actually I hate it and it sucks

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

General Dog posted:

Have any of these campaigns been funny since about halfway through Balance?

There was an episode early in Graduation that was hilarious, they did some great fish out of water stuff with the Firbolg from an agrarian forest village with no concept of money taking a mandatory accounting class, and then they had some really funny shenanigans with all three of them taking a practical exam in gathering information at a stereotypical D&D tavern. It was great having the teacher explain how you're supposed to do things contrasted with how the players wind up doing it, definitely the high point of the campaign. And then they never did a class scene ever again

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Everyone just go listen to Rude Tales of Magic instead, not only does it have good jokes but all the players act like they actually want to be there.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

The World Inferno posted:

Realize most of ya'll are probably already aware of it, but the McElory's mini-season (6 ep) of Dimension 20 is comedy gold back to front. Justin is firing on all cylinders, Travis and Clinton get semi-serious characters with actually well handled arcs, and Griffin plays a chaotic goof monk with the most wholesome handling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-y98OYaXu8

Which is to say, it'd be nice if they brought in other DM's to AZ to help better tailor an adventure to their impulses.

Brennan is one of the "best" dm's around and has earned that praise by his professional improv skills in comedy, natural charisma, and outstanding players that he draws in and never lets go. Griffin tries his best, but as others have said his weakness lies in his need to make every finale super grand scale. I liked balance and amnesty, but every series after the first suffered in the end by poor execution and scale issues.

His players aren't great either. Travis regularly and disastrously dragging it down with abhorrent character/player choices and rp, Justin losing interest mid series, and Clint being consistently lovely but not knowing how to actually play a decade later and counting so slowing the momentum. All that really limits them.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 31, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Crazyeyes posted:

Brennan is one of the "best" dm's around and has earned that praise by his professional improv skills in comedy, natural charisma, and outstanding players that he draws in and never lets go. Griffin tries his best, but as others have said his weakness lies in his need to make every finale super grand scale. I liked balance and amnesty, but every series after the first suffered in the end by poor execution and scale issues.

His players aren't great either. Travis regularly and disastrously dragging it down with abhorrent character/player choices and rp, Justin losing interest mid series, and Clint being consistently lovely but not knowing how to actually play a decade later and counting so slowing the momentum. All that really limits them.

It’s what happens when you have three adult nerd brothers who have inexorably tied themselves to one-another professionally and have also been doing this McElroy BrothersTM thing, in some form or another, for almost a decade and a half.

plus their dad—who, like you said, is an absolute sweetheart and also a consummate media professional, but is also their dad and is clearly stuck between being their co-host/business owner/operator and also being an old dad who clearly loves his three large boys.

like this is how TAZ was always going to go without bringing in a bunch of outside people on the production/showrunning side and delegating management to them.

riff/chat-based stuff like MBMBaM is relatively fine and indefinitely sustainable if you’ve got good rapport because it’s just some bros doing banter.

As far as anybody knows MBMBaM, the wifecasts, etc, are all doing great. They seem to fit very well with the way that the McElroys operate and work together creatively. As long as nobody actively hates each other the risk of somebody feeling burned by a creative decision, or the risk of the product being hurt by relationships, is all very low. Nobody has to be the “leader” in a big way either, because it’s just some people who love each other and clearly enjoy making content together doing their thing.

Balance was great, first as an occasional one-off to MBMBaM and then as its own single thing, but turning it into an actual narrative show that can sustain multiple seasons and complex storylines requires poo poo like direction and organizational/operational hierarchy and people who can unilaterally make decisions and be the bad guy or the person who does emotional labor or the one who tells Travis that his idea is bad, and the McElroy company, for lack of a better word, obviously isn’t gonna be structured like that or ever operate that way.

Trying to make one or two of the brothers the bandleaders or the CEO or whatever will never be a thing. Despite what some corners of the fandom would have you believe (or clearly would like), Griffin/Justin are not the Lennon/McCartney of the McElroy family and they will never assume those roles

it’s the “making an independent film with your friends” problem, stretched out and drawn out over years for the podcast age: you can treat the work like work and the people you work with like employees/colleagues or you can treat them like friends/family and bolster those relationships, but you can’t sustainably or effectively do both all of the time without major sacrifices to both the relationships and the product

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Like at this point it kind of feels like they really hate doing TAZ and wish they could stop at least for a bit but they’ve already built it up into a major keystone of their brand and income earner for literally everybody in the family and plus they’ve got all of these business relationships and comic book people to keep employed and whatnot and also clearly the fans, what if they lose the fans?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ok Comboomer posted:

Like at this point it kind of feels like they really hate doing TAZ and wish they could stop at least for a bit but they’ve already built it up into a major keystone of their brand and income earner for literally everybody in the family and plus they’ve got all of these business relationships and comic book people to keep employed and whatnot and also clearly the fans, what if they lose the fans?

I get the impression that they really enjoy doing the live shows, either because they're returns to the characters they spent ages building or because they get to do something new as a one off. The business as usual podcast though, that's work.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah i think "let someone else DM" solves almost all their fundamental morale-related problems with TAZ and it also solves a lot of the fundamental family-related problems too (specifically, that no one has to feel bad about telling Travis "no" too many times)

like speaking of Brennan, I think that kind of more subtle personnel-management side of the job is what he absolutely excels at, he's good at handling big personalities without indulging them to the point of other people having less fun. which makes sense because he literally did it as a job where they used it to help teens learn how to socialize

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 31, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Clint being consistently lovely but not knowing how to actually play a decade later and counting so slowing the momentum.

okay this bit isn't true though, what slows the momentum is when Clint tries to do something in the rules and everyone else either balks at the idea of actually playing DND or the dm assumes he's asking for something wild and improvises a terrible kludge for what's a pretty basic action

he is definitely the one with the worst grasp of rules by dint of having generally gamed the least I just find it annoying that his efforts to learn the rules are consistently stymied less by him and more by the group's attitude towards rules

Valentin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 31, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The ad read in the finale actually has a couple of jokes in it for once. Still worth skipping, though

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I will never listen to a Justin ad read

A good refresher would be an outside DM, but also you could have a guest for a season - one of the brothers could still DM but having someone else in the party would shake things up a bit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I will never listen to a Justin ad read

A good refresher would be an outside DM, but also you could have a guest for a season - one of the brothers could still DM but having someone else in the party would shake things up a bit.

Get Stuart Wellington in to DM for an arc, he'd fit in while bringing something new to the table.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BransonReeseHailSatan

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Warbird posted:

BransonReeseHailSatan

I don't think the McElroy's could keep up with Branson.

Would love to hear it though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Crazyeyes posted:

Brennan is one of the "best" dm's around and has earned that praise by his professional improv skills in comedy, natural charisma, and outstanding players that he draws in and never lets go.

Also I listened to Fantasy High and man Brennan just puts his whole rear end into making voices I love it about him

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Warbird posted:

BransonReeseHailSatan

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't think the McElroy's could keep up with Branson.

Would love to hear it though.

Branson Reese is the trickster god of the dm pantheon. Absolutely unhinged, yet astonishingly effective storyteller, and loving every second of the chaos he creates with his players. Rude Tales feels like the kind of insane, rambling campaign that could actually take place around a table of friends committed to buying into the story and working collaboratively. It's everything TAZ could be if they just got out of their own way.

TAZ was best when it wasn't trying to be serious and, at some points, wasn't even trying to tell a story. Graduation parts talked about above with learning how to be a "hero" and accounting, the entire train arc of Balance where you could ~feel~ that everyone was having fun, Amnesty when they are just tooling around and fighting a swimming pool or whatever. All great moments, each overshadowed by the oncoming oppressive bullshit when the story inevitably collapses to "save the world from cosmic annihilation" yet again.

Compare that with the season of Tiny Heist where the entire plot revolves around little people and toys stealing a roll of quarters. The four of them were great. Justin was a standout to me personally after his initial Rick Diggins monolog, but Clint and Griffin both have their moments as well. Travis I don't remember any specific parts and in general I remember him being too serious yet again, but I may be forgetting. Regardless, they were clearly having fun and it plainly showed in their performances.

Valentin posted:

okay this bit isn't true though, what slows the momentum is when Clint tries to do something in the rules and everyone else either balks at the idea of actually playing DND or the dm assumes he's asking for something wild and improvises a terrible kludge for what's a pretty basic action

he is definitely the one with the worst grasp of rules by dint of having generally gamed the least I just find it annoying that his efforts to learn the rules are consistently stymied less by him and more by the group's attitude towards rules

These are very valid points. Clint was great on Tiny Heist after all, and nothing was lost mechanically. Again, they can't get out of their own way.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Crazyeyes posted:

Branson Reese is the trickster god of the dm pantheon. Absolutely unhinged, yet astonishingly effective storyteller, and loving every second of the chaos he creates with his players. Rude Tales feels like the kind of insane, rambling campaign that could actually take place around a table of friends committed to buying into the story and working collaboratively. It's everything TAZ could be if they just got out of their own way.

TAZ was best when it wasn't trying to be serious and, at some points, wasn't even trying to tell a story. Graduation parts talked about above with learning how to be a "hero" and accounting, the entire train arc of Balance where you could ~feel~ that everyone was having fun, Amnesty when they are just tooling around and fighting a swimming pool or whatever. All great moments, each overshadowed by the oncoming oppressive bullshit when the story inevitably collapses to "save the world from cosmic annihilation" yet again.

I made this extremely stupid picture two years age re: TAZ vs Rude Tales and it, depressingly, still rings true

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/mcelroyfamily/status/1554109967455731713?s=21&t=IKgO2AsfxcmTK96e6hRJuA

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I really really enjoyed Ethersea, up to and including Cambria.

Just that... Cambria feels like it should have been the logical end to the season. It was high-stakes and logical for how the world had been built, got to go on some fun hijinks to get to the conclusion of the arc, etc

This whole deal here was...
murder mystery, portal, gods, time travel, dimension shifting, callbacks to characters from the prologue, callbacks to concepts from the prologue, callbacks to brief asides from earlier arcs without much fanfare, and then a bunch of ???? tacked onto the end

The entire time I was listening to the final episode I thought I had skipped three weeks of content, but nope!
feels like the whole gang wanted to mash the eject button and Griffin could only mange it by being bombastic in his storytelling

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just give me stupid ship adventures. I could have listened to that format for another year before things "popped off."

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Crazyeyes posted:

Travis I don't remember any specific parts and in general I remember him being too serious yet again, but I may be forgetting.

(Huge Tiny Heist spoilers) Travis blew everyone's cover with the big bad while they were right smack dab in the middle of the titular Heist because he learned that the villain had a peanut stashed away for potential use against their kid/owner, who is allergic to peanuts. Everyone at the table was like "...really, Travis? Now?" and he was like "I'm sorry! It's what my character would do!" Obviously Brennan made it work because he's a consummate professional, but I remember being fairly annoyed with Travis in that moment. I've also seen that in Devo, and now I see the pattern of Travis's characters making selfish and unfun character decisions at the expense of the table.

But still, I also think TAZ would improve greatly from the addition of a full-time DM who lets the boys be silly while moving things along a la Tiny Heist, or that TAZ: Imbalance arc they did with Aabria Iyengar

Sockser posted:

I really really enjoyed Ethersea, up to and including Cambria.

Just that... Cambria feels like it should have been the logical end to the season. It was high-stakes and logical for how the world had been built, got to go on some fun hijinks to get to the conclusion of the arc, etc

This whole deal here was...
murder mystery, portal, gods, time travel, dimension shifting, callbacks to characters from the prologue, callbacks to concepts from the prologue, callbacks to brief asides from earlier arcs without much fanfare, and then a bunch of ???? tacked onto the end

The entire time I was listening to the final episode I thought I had skipped three weeks of content, but nope!
feels like the whole gang wanted to mash the eject button and Griffin could only mange it by being bombastic in his storytelling

I stopped listening to Ethersea around the end of the Cambria arc and ID really K if I'm going to dip back in after reading this thread's evaluations :shrug: There's just too many good DnD APs out there now. Ironically most of them probably wouldn't exist without TAZ blazing the trail, but it is what it is I guess!

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Branson Reese, like Brennan Lee Mulligan, runs Dungeons and dragons for literal children so I think he'd be fine working with the McElroys.

But again, Rude Tales benefits from an outstanding cast AND a good editor (Tim Platt is apparently not super good with the rules/knowing what to roll either, but they edit those bits out and just keep the storytelling parts which he is very good at)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

timp posted:

the pattern of Travis's characters making selfish and unfun character decisions at the expense of the table.

Me listening to Travis playing TTRPGs
https://youtu.be/BoRZpjap3tI?t=24s

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
We know who to really blame for Travis and that's Clint McElroy. That fucker.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SpacePig posted:

Me listening to Travis playing TTRPGs
https://youtu.be/BoRZpjap3tI?t=24s

Now if Travis was the imposter or whatever and that was a meta play to throw out the other guy, that would have been amazing.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The genetic continuity between Clint and Travis is scary, despite it being hard to see with the way Travis dresses himself nowadays lol

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pork Lift posted:

Branson Reese, like Brennan Lee Mulligan, runs Dungeons and dragons for literal children so I think he'd be fine working with the McElroys.

But again, Rude Tales benefits from an outstanding cast AND a good editor (Tim Platt is apparently not super good with the rules/knowing what to roll either, but they edit those bits out and just keep the storytelling parts which he is very good at)

The short interlude in Rude Tales where:

Branson has the characters play witch hunters for an hour, fleshing out their backstories and forging friendships, only to have the regular PCs come blazing in, controlled by Branson, and immediately murder the witcher hunter PCs, while spouting off catchphrases.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pork Lift posted:

yeah I feel like TAZ is edited competently but not with the kinda ruthless eye for cutting out boring stuff you see most of the other best podcasts do.

like in naddpod, you can tell how they've got their combat editing down to an artform, just enough context about mechanics that you can follow it but with zero of the rules questions or slowly adding numbers or filler stuff that make turns drag on

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like the rolling and such in TAZ is "supposed" to be in because it's part of the whole show where they argue about things instead of just doing them and letting the dice decide.

That's not how RtoM does it so they edit those things out unless they're relevant.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The Trinyvale short campaign in NADDPOD is my favorite dnd podcast product with DM Caldwell absolutely letting the players go fully rampant and be their absolute worst selves.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

The Trinyvale short campaign in NADDPOD is my favorite dnd podcast product with DM Caldwell absolutely letting the players go fully rampant and be their absolute worst selves.

Hell yeah

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Bip Roberts posted:

Trinyvale also helped me to realize that I think Jake is my favorite of the group when it comes to improv skills. He's always giving people something to work with.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Trinyvale also helped me to realize that I think Jake is my favorite of the group when it comes to improv skills. He's always giving people something to work with.

Hard agree. Jake might not always get the payoffs but he sets up so much. Everyone's gets funnier by proxy when Jake's around.

I stopped listening to TAZ a long time ago, Naddpod completely replaced it because it's got what I liked about early Balance. A bunch of funny people being funny, first and foremost, and then developing the characters and story from there. It paid off well in the end, but only because of the the stupid comedy jizz cave body hiding jenkins bullying parts, not in spite of them. IIRC Griffin once said that he was embarrassed about the earliest arcs of Balance and that really put me off hoping the show would ever recapture the parts that I liked the most. It's not strictly bad to prioritize more serious structured story from the get go, but it's just not for me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Travis truly is the middlest middle child.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I normally dislike the live MBMBAM but these last two were full of actual jokes and moments where one of them made another break down completely and also some bullying of question askers

good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Empty Sandwich posted:

I normally dislike the live MBMBAM but these last two were full of actual jokes and moments where one of them made another break down completely and also some bullying of question askers

good stuff

Sci Fi romance title question was very good.