Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It's kind of funny how full Carian Knight gear is such a natural outfit choice for pure casters, thanks to the sword and shield's stat requirements, the armour's highly respectable balance of defence, poise, and weight, and the entire outfit's sheer refined swag. Wizards are knights in Elden Ring, and that's just how it is.

excuse me, ENCHANTED knights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Darth Walrus posted:

Any tips on dealing with Crucible Knights? I've been playing the game for quite a while, but I still don't feel like I have a solid grasp of how to take them on with pretty much any build. They have so few openings in melee, even if you're fishing for guard counters, and the axe knights make such heavy use of their shields that ranged combat seems almost entirely ineffectual. Yes, I know about parrying, but that's a high-risk low-reward approach that I'm just not very good at getting the timing down for.

Parry their one handed attacks. Just suck it up and die a few times getting a feel for this, it's really quite forgiving and you'll feel cool once you get it. You need either the buckler, carian ash or golden parry ash, the basic medium shield parry sucks.
Jump attack the ground stomp.
Roll out their 2-handed combos or the shield charge and then punish without getting greedy.
If you need to heal run away first, he'll button read you if he's neutral and in range for his thrust.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Are there any tips for parrying? I tried to git good at it but never got the timing so now I just removed shield skills to use my weapon's.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That bigass Envoy on the Haligtree that shoots bubbles at you from a distance while you're trying to plot a path to annihilate him is probably the most annoyed I've yet been with this game. He got what was coming to him, which was about thirty arrows to the face while hidden below him where his attacks couldn't reach me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Are there any tips for parrying? I tried to git good at it but never got the timing so now I just removed shield skills to use my weapon's.
Not only does Carian Retaliation give you a better parry window mechanically, I found the blue flash it gives you a much easier way to tell when my parry was "active" which makes timing noticeably easier as well.

So use that. Presumably golden parry has a similar effect.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Parrying

Medium shields have an insanely hard parrying window compared to other souls games. Early game use a light shield or the buckler as soon as you can get it. Later, put carian retaliation or golden parry on whatever shield you like.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh, cool, I can get the Carian Retaliation ash right now if I want to, just cleared Caria Manor. I can use it even on a big shield right?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've never gotten the hang of parrying in Elden Ring but I haven't tried it that much. I tried practicing it for an hour or so once on the Crucible Knight and managed it a few times but it was hard to get the timing on.

Parrying in ds1 was pleasingly simple and I spent most of the game just doing that to everything

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

As a melee build I find the Ironjar Aromatic to be the key to Crucible Knights. It evens the playing field a bit since you can freely trade hits without getting knocked out of your attacks, so it's just a DPS race.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, is there a priestly equivalent of Carian Knight gear? As in, a weapon or set of weapons with its own matching armour that gives a pure-Faith build the offensive/defensive capabilities of a bread-and-butter strength/dex build.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
so i've been co-oping through a second playthrough with some friends and we got up to the final set of bosses over the weekend

Had a ton of fun on Godfrey, Radagon, Elden Beast and Malenia

I didn't realize in my solo playthrough that godfrey has a mini-second phase before he horah's out where he stomps constantly and it fucks up co op players because the damage to get through that phase is much larger in co op, and the stomps hit the full arena.

I also got re-addicted to the final fight and over the course of like two hours did it summonless without bloodhound step which was pretty fun. Dodging Elden Stars and Beast Laser sword at that same time is pants making GBS threads terrifying.

We're doing Malenia now and I have no interest in learning how to dodge waterfowl dance without bloodhound step. That kind of precision just goes beyond what I find fun or enjoyable. Other than that I really enjoy the Malenia fight, I'm doing dual spears so my poise damage is much lower than my dual curved greatswords first playthrough. My co-op buddy just dies about 50% of the time he gets targetted with waterfowl dance. I try to get him to stop attacking around the major waterfowl timings

HOT TAKE tho:
the more I play these bosses the more I think that all the nerds making youtube videos about how they are bad are just wrong. These bosses are so loving good. They are operating at a level of drama and tension so far beyond what came before. Yeah they are insanely loving hard to do without summons, but the best thing about Elden Ring is how modular all the difficulty is. The youtubers talk like the only options are mimic tear/tiche or nothing, when there's like 5 tiers of difficulty in between those two

I like that Malenia and Radagon are still an interesting challenge playing with a bad friend. In any of the previous games two people completely trivialize every encounter. That the bosses are kind of designed around at least some aggro splitting makes things way better IMO

and you can still do it without aggro splitting, you just have to basically not get flustered at all which is hard as balls

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 1, 2022

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Oh, cool, I can get the Carian Retaliation ash right now if I want to, just cleared Caria Manor. I can use it even on a big shield right?
Yeah I misworded that, none of the parrying ashes can go on greatshields, only small or medium.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Just small and medium. Retaliation on a great shield would be hilarious though

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...well that's less weight on my build, and Carian reflects magic which is a problem for me so...

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The Anime Liker posted:

The beast torch owns because you can just moonwalk through Caelid.

It also spooks basilisks away which is just an absolute loving godsend for Deeproot Depths and some parts of the Leyndell sewers

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SlimGoodbody posted:

It also spooks basilisks away which is just an absolute loving godsend for Deeproot Depths and some parts of the Leyndell sewers

WHAAAAAAAAAAT

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

You should try it on Runebears.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

War Wizard posted:

You should try it on Runebears.

Nice try. I already learned that lesson.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Beast Torch rules.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Runebears are like Crucible Knights but funny.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
They should find out whatever the trigger is for larval tear enemies and make a mod that randomly assigns the runebear one all over the place in a playthrough.

Just absolutely terrified fighting an imp because at any second now it may be a runebear

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, is there a priestly equivalent of Carian Knight gear? As in, a weapon or set of weapons with its own matching armour that gives a pure-Faith build the offensive/defensive capabilities of a bread-and-butter strength/dex build.

You could just wear the carian knight set!

If you mean a more thematic option, the fire monk set has surprisingly good stats for the weight.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjch2lUANGM

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Okay, I am banning myself from using Wing of Astel any more. Poor Mohg ruthlessly slaughtered me while I ran around casting spells like a moron instead of just hugging him and nebulaing him to death while he stunlocked himself putting bleed runes on me.

Oh, apparently I could have just used a crystal tear I got 30 hours ago instead. Oops.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

adula’s moonblade did mogh for me in about 30 seconds, albeit i mired him with my greatshield boys. there’s always a way to cheese stuff!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that said i nebulaed the elden beast to death because at that point i just wanted to be done with elden ring

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sindai posted:

Oh, apparently I could have just used a crystal tear I got 30 hours ago instead. Oops.

I finally got this and have been having a blast doing infinite meteorite on things. It's so flashy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
320+ deaths in.

Limgrave and Liurnia and underground areas mostly complete. Godrick and Renalla defeated.

Click on timestamp 46:05 to instantly die from laughing.

https://youtu.be/QMMm2CENC6M

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, I just got to Volcano Manor, and was immediately peer-pressured into joining some kind of decadent underground aristocracy death cult or something

This feels like another of those points where this game hints that there is lore to know, but simply does not tell it to you. Who are these other Tarnished they want me to assassinate? Why do they want me to kill them? What is their end goal? Who, basically, are these motherfuckers?

In a more general sense, does anybody have a recommended link to a breakdown of the game's factions I can "join" ie make them win in the end, what their deals are in a sentence or so each, and how I'd go about doing it? I'm probably gonna do multiple playthroughs because that's the kind of poo poo I like doing, and I wanna make sure I do the right faction with the right character to make it feel satisfying. My current dude is a STR/END caveman type (Vagabond) who I'm thinking of as a dumb virtuous knight guy, and it really doesn't seem like he should be doing what these people want, but before I go figuring out what the alternative is I wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in a general sense and without spoiling anything you can join anyone and everyone without conflict because it’s all about the choice you make at the end with the items you’ve received by completing storylines within the game, so go hog wild.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

loquacius posted:

So, I just got to Volcano Manor, and was immediately peer-pressured into joining some kind of decadent underground aristocracy death cult or something

This feels like another of those points where this game hints that there is lore to know, but simply does not tell it to you. Who are these other Tarnished they want me to assassinate? Why do they want me to kill them? What is their end goal? Who, basically, are these motherfuckers?

In a more general sense, does anybody have a recommended link to a breakdown of the game's factions I can "join" ie make them win in the end, what their deals are in a sentence or so each, and how I'd go about doing it? I'm probably gonna do multiple playthroughs because that's the kind of poo poo I like doing, and I wanna make sure I do the right faction with the right character to make it feel satisfying. My current dude is a STR/END caveman type (Vagabond) who I'm thinking of as a dumb virtuous knight guy, and it really doesn't seem like he should be doing what these people want, but before I go figuring out what the alternative is I wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

It gets ~explained eventually and doing the letters gets you some really good loot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

loquacius posted:

Tanith is actually fairly informative about what the deal with the Volcano Manor is, and the stuff she doesn't tell you will, uh, rapidly become apparent.

One tip - check for illusory walls in the guest-rooms after you've chatted to everyone. You'll get an entire legacy dungeon to explore, and provided you put off engaging and killing the second and final boss (who's extremely obviously telegraphed), it won't lock you out of any quests you get by being friends with the Volcano Manor crew.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

loquacius posted:

So, there are six total endings. However, you can choose between five of the six after defeating the last boss, so long as you just do everyone’s quests - there’s no mutual choosing between factions until literally the end of the game. (You can ‘fail’ several of them by just not doing peoples quests to completion, but that’s a bit different.)

The sixth, which will lock you out of all other endings is the Frenzied Flame, which you activate by going into the secret temple underneath the Leyndell sewers and taking off all your clothes and getting branded by the fingers. . If you do that, you are locked in to the frenzied flame ending and can’t choose one of the others without doing a very long and convoluted quest chain to get an item which will break your link to the frenzied flame, and returns you to being able to choose between all of the other endings.

For reference, the other endings come from completing:
Ranni’s quest line
Goldmask/Brother Corhyn’s quest
Fia’s quest
And
The Dung Eater’s quest

And then there is an ending availiable even if you did none of those

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 2, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so to add, as all the other replies have indicated, there’s not a push and pull of faction warfare with you as the linchpin going on that’ll lock you into something once you’ve helped one side enough. that sort of rpg could be very neat, but elden ring isn’t it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tanith tells you up front exactly what the Volcano Manor is supposed to be about. They’ve rejected the Erdtree and the Fingers and are openly in defiance of Leyndell, determined to do whatever it takes to tear down the Golden Order even if they have to fight dirty. It all sounds great. Then as you do the quest you realize all she actually wants you to do is kill other people for gain. The ideology is all about their high goals, but the actual practice is just being a murdering bastard.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Got it -- I've been thinking of it too much like a Fallout game, I guess.

Every NPC seems to be a douchebag of some kind or other (I've done enough stuff to see that Fia is some kind of undead nationalist for example); is the "default" one at all satisfying or is it a kind of placeholder "do more sidequests next time idiot" thing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

skasion posted:

Tanith tells you up front exactly what the Volcano Manor is supposed to be about. They’ve rejected the Erdtree and the Fingers and are openly in defiance of Leyndell, determined to do whatever it takes to tear down the Golden Order even if they have to fight dirty. It all sounds great. Then as you do the quest you realize all she actually wants you to do is kill other people for gain. The ideology is all about their high goals, but the actual practice is just being a murdering bastard.

Well, it's a little more complicated than that, and they are truer believers in an actual cause than you might think, but not in a good way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ranni seems okay, but one of my other characters is a mage so I'm gonna save her ending for that one

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, it's a little more complicated than that, and they are truer believers in an actual cause than you might think, but not in a good way.

No, they’re just mirroring the moral decay of their leader. Rykard started out with big ideas and maybe even noble aims, but he’s now just a lazy old guy who only wakes up to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

loquacius posted:

Got it -- I've been thinking of it too much like a Fallout game, I guess.

Every NPC seems to be a douchebag of some kind or other (I've done enough stuff to see that Fia is some kind of undead nationalist for example); is the "default" one at all satisfying or is it a kind of placeholder "do more sidequests next time idiot" thing?

fully 3 of the endings are straight up the same ending with a different colored filter on them ala mass effect 3 so, not so much, unfortunately