Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Lol at these news articles having to comb the archives to find pictures of Mayim where she’s not dressed like the mayor of Candyland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

feetnotes posted:

Lol at these news articles having to comb the archives to find pictures of Mayim where she’s not dressed like the mayor of Candyland

But that's the best thing about her.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I for one do not wish for Candyland to be an apartheid state.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Absolutely enraged that Ken didn't respond to "What is 'Up'?" with "Not much, what is up with you?"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:jerkbag:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

about the pluto jeopardy channel that's supposed to go live today

https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/pluto-tv-streaming-jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-24-7.html

quote:

UPDATE, August 1: Pluto TV is fleshing out some of the details of its new channels devoted to Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, which are both debuting today. The Jeopardy! channel will feature only episodes hosted by the late Alex Trebek and will draw from 33 of the 37 seasons he hosted between 1984 and 2021. The streamer will also program themed blocks featuring episodes from the Tournament of Champions, Battle of the Decades, and other Jeopardy! events. Meanwhile, Pluto’s Wheel of Fortune offering will be much more recent, only including episodes produced within the past five years. The streamer’s deal with Sony Pictures Television will make it the exclusive free-streaming home of the two shows for the next two years and give it access to 250 episodes of each show at launch, with a new batch of 250 episodes cycling in a year from now. As part of the licensing agreement, Sony has also struck a deal to develop game-show projects for Pluto sibling CBS Entertainment.

so it'll be the same 250 episodes all year

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Vertical Lime posted:

about the pluto jeopardy channel that's supposed to go live today

https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/pluto-tv-streaming-jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-24-7.html

so it'll be the same 250 episodes all year

That's almost one a day Mon-Fri. Not bad.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Second Chance tournament roster announced: https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2022/second-chance

Highlights include Sadie "Harriet Tubma" Goldberger and Jessica "I beat Matt Amodio and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" Stephens.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Whats the criteria where winners get 2nd chances but like Matt Amodio doesn't.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Highlights include Sadie "Harriet Tubma" Goldberger and Jessica "I beat Matt Amodio and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" Stephens.

lol. I want a whole video intro for all of them with their " "s.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Not me hanging out here still hoping one day all former contestants will be allowed back.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Sean posted:

lol. I want a whole video intro for all of them with their " "s.

Isaac Applebaum: Won his semifinal in the dumb college tourney that had four semifinalists
James Fraser: Apparently was scheduled to go against Holzhauer but was deployed. Led going into FJ but lost
Sadie Goldberger: Harriet Tubma
Aaron Gulyas: Lost to Ryan Long on the Peyton Manning "Omaha" clue
Molly Karol: Lost to Andrew He who did a true daily double near the end of the game
Alicia O'Hare: Lost recently to Yungsheng
Do-Hyoung Park: Lost to Amy Schneider
Tom Philipose: Lost to Ryan Long
Tracy Pitzel: Lost to Matt Amodio
Nikkee Porcaro: Had the lead going into FJ but lost on a triple stumper
Renée Russell: Lost to Mattea Roach, was right behind her going into FJ
Pam Schoenberg: Lost to Amy Schneider
Jeff Smith: Had the lead going into FJ but lost on a triple stumper
Sarah Snider: Lost to Mattea Roach despite leading by almost 10k going into FJ (Mattea wrote "If this is it, thanks for the fun!" on her response)
Jessica Stephens: Beat Matt Amodio but lost to Jonathan Fisher in the same game!!
Rowan Ward: Lost to Matt Amodio, had exactly half his score going into FJ but was wrong (and he was right)
Jack Weller: Lost to Brian Chang on a tiebreaker
Cindy Zhang: Behind by $200 going into FJ, both she and the winner got it right

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, honestly, putting Sadie Goldberger in the second chance tournament instead of actually inviting her back onto the show is lovely, IMO. She should have been given a correct answer and the win, and should have another chance to play in the regular season, IMO.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Looks like YouTube finally cracked down on all the jeopardy uploads. Probably because of the Pluto thing. Guess I can't watch Jeopardy anymore, even though we pay out the rear end for like five streaming apps!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh boo! I forgot that the season was over :(

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hm, today's episode (which was a rerun) is still up. Maybe they just took down some of the older ones?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Hm, today's episode (which was a rerun) is still up. Maybe they just took down some of the older ones?

Ah, that's probably it for today's. But yeah usually there are a lot more recent ones.

Watching the new Pluto thing, so I've calmed down.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
as someone who is not getting a second chance, I declare the second chance tournament absolute horseshit

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Watching these old episodes with Alex is just making me sad all over again that Mayim Bialik stands at that podium.

Ken is good, but Alex just had mastery of the rhythm of hosting.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Watching these old episodes with Alex is just making me sad all over again that Mayim Bialik stands at that podium.

Ken is good, but Alex just had mastery of the rhythm of hosting.

BUZZR runs some of his old Classic Concentration games and he is just a master at hosting.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cup of Hemlock posted:

BUZZR runs some of his old Classic Concentration games and he is just a master at hosting.

I was honestly galled by what a flirt he was on Classic Concentration

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

He's hilarious on Concentration, too.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
rowan ward is my pick for the 2nd chance. they're an absolute gamer, winning every game in a runaway would not shock me

i'd love to have a shot at another tournament and maybe they'll draw from other recent seasons (like... 36? 36, maybe??) next.

only problem is i finished a distant third. oh well, other fish in the sea.

speaking of, is it weird to anyone else that we haven't had a new legit trivia show in a while? like, anything that doesn't mix trivia with gross social games or whatever. There's a place for those shows, obv. but the last show that was Absolutely For Dorks Only was... 500 Questions?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I know people hate to hear any scrap of conversation or anecdote, but by any definition The Chase is a trivia show. The questions imo range harder than Jeopardy and there are certainly more of them.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Right, sure--sorry, i meant completely new (which i didn't say, lol) but the chase has been around for a while now

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's fair, I guess technically it's just "new to OTA/prime time in the US," but I think it's the first time most US viewers have seen it

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Poque posted:

Isaac Applebaum: Won his semifinal in the dumb college tourney that had four semifinalists
James Fraser: Apparently was scheduled to go against Holzhauer but was deployed. Led going into FJ but lost
Sadie Goldberger: Harriet Tubma
Aaron Gulyas: Lost to Ryan Long on the Peyton Manning "Omaha" clue
Molly Karol: Lost to Andrew He who did a true daily double near the end of the game
Alicia O'Hare: Lost recently to Yungsheng
Do-Hyoung Park: Lost to Amy Schneider
Tom Philipose: Lost to Ryan Long
Tracy Pitzel: Lost to Matt Amodio
Nikkee Porcaro: Had the lead going into FJ but lost on a triple stumper
Renée Russell: Lost to Mattea Roach, was right behind her going into FJ
Pam Schoenberg: Lost to Amy Schneider
Jeff Smith: Had the lead going into FJ but lost on a triple stumper
Sarah Snider: Lost to Mattea Roach despite leading by almost 10k going into FJ (Mattea wrote "If this is it, thanks for the fun!" on her response)
Jessica Stephens: Beat Matt Amodio but lost to Jonathan Fisher in the same game!!
Rowan Ward: Lost to Matt Amodio, had exactly half his score going into FJ but was wrong (and he was right)
Jack Weller: Lost to Brian Chang on a tiebreaker
Cindy Zhang: Behind by $200 going into FJ, both she and the winner got it right

Awesome. Thank you for all of the time and effort.

mennoknight posted:

as someone who is not getting a second chance, I declare the second chance tournament absolute horseshit

HookShot posted:

Not me hanging out here still hoping one day all former contestants will be allowed back.

Sorry, friendos :smith:

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 2, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Rowan is great and I think they're going to crush this tournament, for sure.

I was talking to them about flash carding a few weeks ago and they're so dedicated to it, it's wildly impressive how much they're learning every day.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh hey i found another foreign version of jeopardy-- this time we're looking at russia: Своя игра ("your game"). started in 1994, still airing. and i have to say i really like it when a localization puts their own flavor on a production
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKnGcZXyXaw
(1st episode, playing it straight. payout is in rubles. the robes were a thing because the fear was that some of the contestants were a little behind fashions. they dropped the robes briefly and let contestants wear their street clothes, but that stint was short-lived)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZXsxsmbu8E
(this particular episode is about the most-recent i've found online. this is in the middle of their "golden nine" tournament)

since 2001, you've got four rounds (single, double, triple, and final jeopardy), there are also special "cat in the bag" questions where you can make one of your opponents answer it (usually the first time a category is played if i'm understanding things). even daily doubles are handled differently, instead it's set up as an auction -- whoever finds it makes the first bid, and the other contestants get the chance to try and outbid.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 3, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

me yesterday: i wish there were more PURE TRIVIA SHOWS, for EXPERTS LIKE ME (jk lol)

me today: jeopardy SHOULD have three rounds and bizarre hot potato questions and auctions and poo poo, HELL yeah

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Every game shows needs wizard robes

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spokes posted:

me yesterday: i wish there were more PURE TRIVIA SHOWS, for EXPERTS LIKE ME (jk lol)

me today: jeopardy SHOULD have three rounds and bizarre hot potato questions and auctions and poo poo, HELL yeah

about the closest i can think of a quiz auctioning the right to answer like that over here would have been the who, what, or where game-- think final jeopardy offering three different questions that could pay out double or triple your wager, as long as you were the highest or only bidder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxs31n6Yrc8

it got revived in 1990 as 'the challengers.' but with more of a focus on current events. plus one extra, three-part, super-deluxe jackpot question thing that only came up if you won three days and eventually got dropped that i kinda feel was tacked on and never really fleshed out too well. but that's really the only problem i had with it. the current events focus really made it a particularly interesting time capsule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB-uOA3Wjmw

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Every game shows needs wizard robes

:hai: fuckin' a :hai: there's only been two. russian jeopardy and a british comedian's art project for UKPlay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pg_dNH4LsY

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 3, 2022

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Watching the reruns this week really hammers home that Mayim has not grown as a host at all. Still the same weird flow and pauses in these older episodes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
During last night's rerun, it somehow felt to me like they'd re-edited the audio to try to cut the pauses out

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Harry Privates posted:

Watching the reruns this week really hammers home that Mayim has not grown as a host at all. Still the same weird flow and pauses in these older episodes.

She’s not going to improved and she doesn’t have to anyway. She’ll keep the job no matter what.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Duckman2008 posted:

She’s not going to improved and she doesn’t have to anyway. She’ll keep the job no matter what.

capitalism.txt

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's actually brilliant because now you have to watch her other show so it doesn't get cancelled and free her up to be the full-time host.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

it is september 20, 2021. mayims first ever game hosting. final jeopardy rolls around. "The Dip used to kill characters in this 1988 film consisted of acetone, benzene & turpentine, ingredients of paint thinner" is the clue. the correct answer is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", obviously. as an aside, the all caps nature of the clue presentation obfuscates a key part of solving this, as The Dip is a proper noun in the framework of the movie but mayim provides zero adequate emphasis of this to compensate. its her first game, whatever. she will get better, right?

carlo, guy in last place gets it right. bets 5 bucks. see ya, nerd

tracy, in second place and with a chance of winning if she bets properly and matt fucks up the final guesses dune. bets 16,600 of her 17,000. rip

then we get to matt, standing there looking like he got caught playing with dad's chainsaw in the yard. his guess?

can you read that? i cant, and i have horrible handwriting due to dysgraphia. it looks like loving cunieform. and yet mayim flawlessly reads it aloud! perfectly intelligble to her: "raiders of the lost ark"

her first game

why am i making a dumb post about this? because i will genuinely never forget harriet tubma and it seriously pisses me off. this is not the only time she does this, in fact a few games later theres a blatant misspelling where they forget the first or second letter of the answer but she gives it to them anyways because its clearly intelligible. and yet, harriet tubma

tubma deez nuts

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Racas Ofin Los u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

To be fair, and not to defend Mayim in any way, I cut that "Raiders Of The Lmjkn Aknsn" reading a lot more slack because even if it was perfectly legible it's wrong anyway, who cares if you can read it or not. They probably should have put "the Dip" in quotes or something

Also technically not her first game, just her first game as official host -- she had a week or two during the hot potato period.

Actual lol at my desk at this though

Paper Lion posted:

then we get to matt, standing there looking like he got caught playing with dad's chainsaw in the yard.