Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Happy Landfill posted:

Oh, I didn't catch that but looking back you're right! That would explain the shadow-y shape change.

Yeah. I love the show for all the weird little details in it. I definitely like stolas character more now. He was always my second favorite but I like that he kinda had some happiness. Poor bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

QuoProQuid posted:

I enjoyed Harley Quinn but, yeah, I did notice that the second episode had some really stilted, non-fluid animation. Not sure if it’s a budget thing or what.

I only got a laugh out of two things: "Hey, 'Searching for Bobby Fuckstick'" and Toyman getting knocked the gently caress out by the cock cannon. Everything else fell flat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1553972620646817792?s=21&t=wDBsnaqgS9SUWKECZoJXRA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This episode is going to be a waking nightmare. Hell yes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

It’s gonna be some weird poo poo where they never leave the airport or some poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s gonna be some weird poo poo where they never leave the airport or some poo poo.

That's what I've seen a lot of people speculate and I bet that's exactly what's going to happen :lol:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

That's what I've seen a lot of people speculate and I bet that's exactly what's going to happen :lol:

That or they play the whole sit com poo poo straight or they do a reservoir dogs and never show the trip.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So my son is 1 month-old and I'm in charge of the overnight feeds every 3 hours. Half-hour animated comedies are about the perfect length of time and level of intellectual investment to get the job done, diaper changed, and baby back to sleep so I can go back to sleep. Animated adult shows have come a long way since the last time I paid attention to them when Futurama was new.

One show that really surprised me was Midnight Gospel on Netflix. It's basically this dude's podcast where he interviews LA-area gurus and spiritualists of various levels of kooky, and the show is just those podcasts with a little extra dialogue added and the animators given free reign to go crazy. It's really something special if you have any interest in surrealism and psychedelics. I actually had to stop watching halfway through the final episode where he discusses birth and rebirth with his since-deceased mother. It hit pretty close to home with my late father and 2am with my own son looking up at my as he sucked down his bottle was not the time and place for those feelings.

It's long cancelled at this point, but it's out there. If I was still getting high I imagine it would have been even more fun to watch. Going in blind and on mushrooms seems like it would be very memorable. Careful of that final episode, though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

80/20 split that the whole episode is just that one walk cycle.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finally got around to checking out Primal this weekend and drat, this show is really cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crain posted:

80/20 split that the whole episode is just that one walk cycle.

yeah i am genuinely curious weird poo poo its gonna be. because i loving loved bushworld adventures and unironically think its the best rick and Morty thing

AcidCat posted:

Finally got around to checking out Primal this weekend and drat, this show is really cool.

people keep telling me how amazing it is and how its basicaly conan with out all the weird um "baggage".

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i am genuinely curious weird poo poo its gonna be. because i loving loved bushworld adventures and unironically think its the best rick and Morty thing

Idk how a documentary of everyday Aussie life is a Rick and Morty thing but you do you.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

people keep telling me how amazing it is and how its basicaly conan with out all the weird um "baggage".

Whenever someone in a thread asks if Primal is good I am compelled to tell you there is nothing like it on TV.

It has its own thread although it doesn't get a whole lot of traffic. It doesn't really have those twists and turns to drive it and someone can only say "This show is god drat beautiful" so many times.

There are Season 1 spoilers in a few posts because Season 2 just came out but the OP is clean.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man, i really wish someone had told me sooner that Harley Quinn is literally "Venture Bros but it's DC characters"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Primal is Genndy Tartakovsky making a show, virtually free of dialog, where a dinosaur and a caveman wander around and violence happens. It's beautiful and amazing. Also the sound design is great.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah same. i also like that paimon doesn't really have a shape and just takes the closet one approximation of whatever kid he has. i feel like the goetia are probably like the Hapsburgs of hell and they have a couple back up heirs.

Iirc, there was some concept art on Twitter that shows that Stolas' has a few brothers, and his youngest brother is the over masculine 'Ace' style you'd expect of an elder sibling. So if they show up it could be pretty interesting! But they could just remain ideas

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

I Am Fowl posted:

Primal is Genndy Tartakovsky making a show, virtually free of dialog, where a dinosaur and a caveman wander around and violence happens. It's beautiful and amazing. Also the sound design is great.

It would be better if I wasn't constantly hearing the noises that different mounts in WoW made when they hit the ground or are summoned.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Primal also takes the prehistoric world and adds exactly enough magic/mysticism that the entire thing is elevated in a way that really can’t be explained, IMO

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Bramble posted:

One show that really surprised me was Midnight Gospel on Netflix. It's basically this dude's podcast where he interviews LA-area gurus and spiritualists of various levels of kooky, and the show is just those podcasts with a little extra dialogue added and the animators given free reign to go crazy. It's really something special if you have any interest in surrealism and psychedelics. I actually had to stop watching halfway through the final episode where he discusses birth and rebirth with his since-deceased mother. It hit pretty close to home with my late father and 2am with my own son looking up at my as he sucked down his bottle was not the time and place for those feelings.

It's long cancelled at this point, but it's out there. If I was still getting high I imagine it would have been even more fun to watch. Going in blind and on mushrooms seems like it would be very memorable. Careful of that final episode, though.

I can't believe I had to find this show by accident. Like, Netflix clearly does not have a full profile on me. It's a great high watch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Duncan Trussel was extremely funny & talented 5-10 years ago but as someone who used to be a HUGE fan of his he has unambiguously destroyed his brain with too many psychadelics and overdoing the Sense-Dep tanks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It can be hard to describe Primal because there really is nothing else like it. On the surface, it's a caveman fighting dinosaurs alongside his T-Rex pal, which sounds fun, if somewhat juvenile.

But the show is so much more than that - it's a masterclass of animation as a medium. It's a treatise on the beauty, solitude, and savagery of nature. It's a character study of a violent man and woman who have lost everything but each other. It's a showcase of character animation, telling you everything you need to know without a word of dialogue, communicating solely through facial expressions and body language.

There's so much you can say about this show. It's extremely brutal but utterly fantastic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Fang is also unique because she’s a cartoon animal who acts not quite like a real animal but also not as silly or outlandish as a cartoon animal. She strikes a perfect middle ground and I am gonna cry loving UGLY TEARS when she dies in the final episode or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can never get over how inventive the animators are with Fang, how they can make her express emotions perfectly eloquently without so much as a quirk of a facial muscle. It's all just with body language, sound, posture, and little tricks like varying line weights so the parts of the mouth that look like a smile "pop" more than the parts of the mouth that look like a snarl.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s really interesting because as a reptile owner it’s hard to communicate how expressive a snake’s face and eyes can be without actually, uh, moving them at all? It’s like the base of their skull functions like a human would use their eyebrows, all their expression comes from the angle at which they stoically stare at whatever has their interest

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It can be hard to describe Primal because there really is nothing else like it. On the surface, it's a caveman fighting dinosaurs alongside his T-Rex pal, which sounds fun, if somewhat juvenile.

But the show is so much more than that - it's a masterclass of animation as a medium. It's a treatise on the beauty, solitude, and savagery of nature. It's a character study of a violent man and woman who have lost everything but each other. It's a showcase of character animation, telling you everything you need to know without a word of dialogue, communicating solely through facial expressions and body language.

There's so much you can say about this show. It's extremely brutal but utterly fantastic.

I know that feeling. I will watch after work.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s really interesting because as a reptile owner it’s hard to communicate how expressive a snake’s face and eyes can be without actually, uh, moving them at all? It’s like the base of their skull functions like a human would use their eyebrows, all their expression comes from the angle at which they stoically stare at whatever has their interest

Same. All my herps are insanely expressive, just not in the way you expect. I’ll love it then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Miserable Maid posted:

Iirc, there was some concept art on Twitter that shows that Stolas' has a few brothers, and his youngest brother is the over masculine 'Ace' style you'd expect of an elder sibling. So if they show up it could be pretty interesting! But they could just remain ideas

I know the one is stellas brother. Will have to dig them up. What’s funny about stolas is in the first two episodes(pilot and 1) I thought his character would be poo poo, but gently caress he is the best character in the show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Same. All my herps are insanely expressive, just not in the way you expect. I’ll love it then.

I don't know if you talk to your pets, but Primal will teach you that the best way to communicate with reptiles is to scream/roar at each other.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I can never get over how inventive the animators are with Fang, how they can make her express emotions perfectly eloquently without so much as a quirk of a facial muscle. It's all just with body language, sound, posture, and little tricks like varying line weights so the parts of the mouth that look like a smile "pop" more than the parts of the mouth that look like a snarl.

Oh, this for sure. So much character expressed in such subtle but very effective ways.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TwoPair posted:

I don't know if you talk to your pets, but Primal will teach you that the best way to communicate with reptiles is to scream/roar at each other.

Let me know how well this works with a husky.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Let me know how well this works with a husky.

That’s just called having a conversation with a husky.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I know the one is stellas brother. Will have to dig them up. What’s funny about stolas is in the first two episodes(pilot and 1) I thought his character would be poo poo, but gently caress he is the best character in the show.

I think that's what makes episode 2 so great--the first and only time you meet Stolas his only joke/character beat is The Horny Dude; but then episode two starts and you're like, "oh, haha it's the horny guy again, I bet he's about to do a funny horny bit," and you think it's the lead up to a joke but it ends up going in to "You Will Be Okay" and it's this straight, genuinely touching character moment. He spends a lot of the episode being a weird horny dude and it's played as a joke but it also plays up against the other bit of his character that's been established--genuine love for his daughter. I seriously thought he would be a one-note character and then he wasn't.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 4, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Good god the writing for S3 of Harley Quinn has been loving terrible so far. The best part of Ep4 was "Dad Joker." They also seem to desperately need, I don't know, maybe a woman who's been in a relationship with another woman on their writing staff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

New Beavis and Butthead came out today and the first 2 were pretty good. I like how they watch YouTube and TikTok vids now.

I do kinda hate how it looks like Bojack Horseman now but I guess you pretty much have to make an adult animated sitcom look like that these days.:smith:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Good god the writing for S3 of Harley Quinn has been loving terrible so far. The best part of Ep4 was "Dad Joker." They also seem to desperately need, I don't know, maybe a woman who's been in a relationship with another woman on their writing staff.

It’s pretty rough, yeah. The first two seasons I’d watch episodes as soon as they came out. This one I’m barely working up enough effort to bother at all. Honestly capping it at the wedding would have been a good stopping point but afaik we haven’t gotten a show/content with them being straight up married and hella gay before so o don’t blame them for pushing on and exploring that some. I’m delighted for the folks that were wanting that but man is this season not doing it for me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This latest episode was basically an A plot straight out of regular sitcom. Just and utterly tired and cliche conflict at every single step.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't worry I don't think your problems with Harley Quinn will last much longer after this season anyway...

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1555306847392899073

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Has there been any good news from this merger at all? It seems to be an unmitigated failure across the board, every piece of news has been about the vast swathes of literally loving everything that is being cut and basically everyone is furious with them for one reason or another.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sounds like an AT&T affair to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only streaming service with a library that everyone could get excited about just eating it’s own lunch, pooping it’s pants, and dying at the precipice of Netflix committing subscriber suicide is so impossibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has there been any good news from this merger at all? It seems to be an unmitigated failure across the board, every piece of news has been about the vast swathes of literally loving everything that is being cut and basically everyone is furious with them for one reason or another.

The new CEO is dedicated to "uncancelling" JK Rowling so there's that...

(Nothing good has come or will ever come from this merger)