Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

wilbur is BACK baybee :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

What’s wrong with your neeeeeeeeeck

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Holy poo poo this made me cackle like an idiot and I had to read it to my husband and now he thinks I’m stupid.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

:frogon:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "372 - Jucika And The Volatile Husband"

"373 - Jucika's Cleaning Up"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Although it wasn't retail, I did factory work for a while and on the second day I got a verbal warning for clocking out early from my shift the night before.

The shift ended at 7 PM, you see, and I had clocked out at 6:58.

WrightOfWay posted:

Promoting people for loyalty instead of competence is common all throughout the ideological spectrum but especially in fascism.

Crossposting this quote from the Gundam thread because I legit thought it was a reply to the retail talk here, where loyalty (to the company) is prized over competence.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The only thing about winter for me (aside from frigid temperatures) is driving in the snow. I'm south of the Mason-Dixon line and the stereotypes of southerners who don't know how to drive in snow is pretty much right on the money.

That's fair, but considering that fall and spring are exactly the same as the worst season, winter kind of becomes the best season by default.

Actually early spring is about the same as winter, just that late spring is the same as summer.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's fair, but considering that fall and spring are exactly the same as the worst season, winter kind of becomes the best season by default.

Actually early spring is about the same as winter, just that late spring is the same as summer.

Spring can be a beautiful season, but I can't enjoy it too much because I know my least favorite season is coming up next.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Spring has new growth, flowers, and baby birds and animals. Fall has dead leaves, mushy pumpkins, and Christmas debt. Spring rules, fall blows.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Potsticker posted:

Crossposting this quote from the Gundam thread because I legit thought it was a reply to the retail talk here, where loyalty (to the company) is prized over competence.

After nearly 40-years as a corporate whore, I can tell you that the loyalty is absolutely a one-way street.

Took too many years to learn that there was a fine line between 'loyalty' and 'stupidity.'

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

After nearly 40-years as a corporate whore, I can tell you that the loyalty is absolutely a one-way street.

Took too many years to learn that there was a fine line between 'loyalty' and 'stupidity.'

Oh yes. They want you to be loyal, but will undermine you and hang you out to dry every time. From retail to office work, it's all the same. The only time I felt actually a part of a team that worked together and everyone succeeded or failed together was when I was part of the startup hustle. And even then the people on top made out exceedingly better than those below.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The foundation of capitalism is the theft of your labour.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Good dog. Also, the corner dog story is way more involved than the Heathcliff corner cat stories. I wonder if they have better submissions, or just better filtering.

I admit I find it charming that the average Heathcliff cat story is something like, "Edna Wilcox tells us she has a cat named Smuffles who has a fuzzy tail and likes when she pets him!" Hell yeah, Edna. You pet that cat.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

don Jaime posted:

Spring has new growth, flowers, and baby birds and animals. Fall has dead leaves, mushy pumpkins, and Christmas debt. Spring rules, fall blows.

If you have a proper winter early spring is when all the frozen dog poop pops up.

We call that breakup in Alaska. It isn't ideal.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 7, 1919

And They Died! July 21, 1919

Cat Tales June 22, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 15, 1936

Mopsy February 24, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out July 6, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 4, 1952

Those Were the Days September 7, 1961

Wee Pals September 7, 1966

Dogbert July 5, 1967

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Stop sneaking downstairs at night to eat cake then, you gently caress.

I have this book, and this page always bugged me, because assuming XX eyes = half-asleep, >> eyes = totally asleep, and oo eyes = awake, then the counts are wrong. :colbert:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Slammy posted:

Dogbert July 5, 1967

Red and Rover please.

Mopsy and Jucika are the best.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Sarge is ordering a Tutti Fruitti, something seen as unmanly, and his subordinates are giving him poo poo for it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Those two guys look pretty mad. Is it impish?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
specifically they are stink-eyeing him because, as a drill sergeant (and in previous strips) he routinely tears them down for being "unmanly" but he's ordering a very saccharine drink

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If only those poor teachers had been allowed to hit those terrible kids, this could all have been avoided. :ohdear:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ah. Their relationships are by nature adversarial. I assume the black guy is cool coz he's thinking of Little Richard.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 8-9, 1992)

Big Nate

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 25, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (January 17-23, 1983)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This tickled me.

ANYWAY! Guess who has COVID and thus translation work is gonna go a bit slowly? Oh yeah, it's-a-me. So, if you'll pardon my delay, in today's Blueberry: Kachinas are an interesting... representation? of spiritual beings. Dancers often adopt their appearance for rituals, it's not just for dolls, or Blueberry doesn't SHOOT the messenger, but he does make his day so much worse, or oh... isn't Blueberry just so sly?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 20, 1952)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/1/02

Brenda Starr 3/13/49

Smokey Stover 4/17/49

Everyday Movies 6/3/35

"I'm glad they didn't take the place, Duke -- they don't look to me like people who have the proper respect for others' belongings."

Bonus TV-watching tip!

I imagine that if Elinor was around today she'd be writing the same thing about asking to borrow someone's Netflix password.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Zelda

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 16, 1934)

Peanuts (August 5, 1975)

A good host gives his guest the first bite.

Funky Winkerbean, which once advertised itself as a strip that addressed the issues of modern youth! Today's topic: estate planning!

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 3, 1939)

Out Our Way (June 26-28, 1939)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Aww, this is cute. I like Hagar.

Breaking Cat News, which seems to be in "Best of Tommy" rerun week?

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

But... but she didn't get the muffins from a landfill. She got them from a store. And again, nothing actually happened.

Curtis forgets to tell a joke.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "374 - Jucika Wakes Him Up"

"375 - Jucika's Morning Rush"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Hope Joe Rogan Spontaneously Combusts

making GBS threads On The Floor Of The Illuminati To Prove A Point