Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

piL posted:

For the broader world, d&d is a genre, not a specific work. If you conflate those things, D&D (or RPGs more generally) is probably the genre of entertainment, in your experience that most includes characters like you, whoever you are, since you define at least one character in every game you play of it. The D&D movie is not D&D, it's a movie.

The writer of that article knows other tabletop games exist and handle queer stories better than D&D in-text. I don't disagree D&D is a monolith to "outsiders" but that's beside the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

More Jamison Stone awfulness.

Pretty expected and mundane at this point, considering what we already knew, but woof.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Talked about more in the Battletech thread, but Catalyst Game Labs announced they were cutting ties with one of their most prominent authors (both of books and game-material) due to their "online activities which do not align with (CGL)'s publishing vision".

Probably because the writer is doing a series of fiction books where a "left-wing extremist" government "force conservatives into concentration camps", with all the foaming at the mouth tropes about "woke culture.

Said author is having a big mad about it online.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Tsilkani posted:

The contact email is TSRLakeGeneva@gmail.com, this is 100% LaNasa and company.

lol nothing says “professional operation” like a free email address

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

There are a lot of cryptids that are really clearly "saw an owl while it was dark/observer was in an altered state or just scared as hell," and it's kind of great. It makes me want to write a horror game where every problem is Just an Owl. (Still a problem! Just an owl. Maybe an owl with a knife.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SirFozzie posted:

Talked about more in the Battletech thread, but Catalyst Game Labs announced they were cutting ties with one of their most prominent authors (both of books and game-material) due to their "online activities which do not align with (CGL)'s publishing vision".

Probably because the writer is doing a series of fiction books where a "left-wing extremist" government "force conservatives into concentration camps", with all the foaming at the mouth tropes about "woke culture.

Said author is having a big mad about it online.
Weird that this so-called conservative author is such a detractor of the free market :thunk:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay this is a thing, a guy showed up on RPG.net hyping his new RPG with cover art taken entirely from Anselm Zielonka's work for Cyberpunk. People called him on that and his response was a claim that Zielonka is just a pen name for Mike Pondsmith who stole his art to begin with, but he's not suing Pondsmith because he alleges Pondsmith has no money anymore.

Also the official twitter page features a lot of cheesecake, and apparently in the Patreon he identifies himself as a "Col. Maj" in the armed forces, which is a rank that I cannot confirm exists.

He's already permabanned, but it's kind of an amusing read, here:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/michael-a-cores-neuro-war-strategy-tactical-cyberpunk-rpg.900272/#post-24454914

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay this is a thing, a guy showed up on RPG.net hyping his new RPG with cover art taken entirely from Anselm Zielonka's work for Cyberpunk. People called him on that and his response was a claim that Zielonka is just a pen name for Mike Pondsmith who stole his art to begin with, but he's not suing Pondsmith because he alleges Pondsmith has no money anymore.

Also the official twitter page features a lot of cheesecake, and apparently in the Patreon he identifies himself as a "Col. Maj" in the armed forces, which is a rank that I cannot confirm exists.

He's already permabanned, but it's kind of an amusing read, here:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/michael-a-cores-neuro-war-strategy-tactical-cyberpunk-rpg.900272/#post-24454914

That was a weird scene. I'm not sure how he decided that Mike was financially invested in CDPR and was thus beyond broke, especially for a game that despite a rough start sold really well. RED is also the longest-running best-selling title on DTRPG. The immediate "No, it's MY ART" was really a thing.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 30, 2022

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

That was a weird scene. I'm not sure how he decided that Mike was financially invested in CDPR and was thus beyond broke, especially for a game that despite a rough start sold really well. RED is also the longest-running best-selling title on DTRPG. The immediate "No, it's MY ART" was really a thing.

On the one hand, I'm glad that guy's bullshit was nipped in the bud on there, just on general principles. On the other, I'm a tiny bit disappointed we didn't get to see some insane ramble through scenic Crazed Justifications and its suburbs. (I know he said he was "done" with the thread there shortly before he got banned but like gently caress he'd have actually stayed away.)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Looks like he pulled his Twitter as well, or at least edited the links out of his posts.

How on earth did he think this was going to go?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Loxbourne posted:

Looks like he pulled his Twitter as well, or at least edited the links out of his posts.

How on earth did he think this was going to go?

The first post says "last edited by a moderator," so I think RPGnet staff took out the links to his "hawt Twitter feed."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

GimpInBlack posted:

The first post says "last edited by a moderator," so I think RPGnet staff took out the links to his "hawt Twitter feed."

The account was/is a handful of recent tweets about his "game", a "those philistines at RPGnet banned me, also BGG sucks too", and then just a long parade of retweets of busty cosplayers.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

The account was/is a handful of recent tweets about his "game", a "those philistines at RPGnet banned me, also BGG sucks too", and then just a long parade of retweets of busty cosplayers.

Tragically short thread, I was hoping the dude would flame out more spectacularly.

At least I got to read this https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/holy-white-wolf-ripoff-batman.665698/ which thanks to the magic of the wayback machine I got to see the website in all its hideous "Not at all the World of Darkness" glory.

:allears: ohhhhhh RPG grifters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Tragically short thread, I was hoping the dude would flame out more spectacularly.

At least I got to read this https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/holy-white-wolf-ripoff-batman.665698/ which thanks to the magic of the wayback machine I got to see the website in all its hideous "Not at all the World of Darkness" glory.

Oh, wow, I'd forgotten about the Huntru. Good times.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

joylessdivision posted:

"Mykal Lakim". What a knob.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow, I'd forgotten about the Huntru. Good times.

Someone in the thread said they had taken the WoD and run a sharpie over the serial numbers because they were too lazy to file them off and :allears: what a perfect way to describe it.

Also loved that the website called the series at one point "Wasteland of Despair" or something like that. All while screaming about how this totally wasn't anything like VtM or VtR, and the author was talking to MR•H who saw absolutely no similarities between the two games.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

joylessdivision posted:

Wow, that brings back memories I'd long since forgotten.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Mykal Lakim". What a knob.
Oh, you can count on me to do a F&F of this, though I don't know when I'll get around to it. I got banned for digging up the guy's criminal record, may as well have fun with it.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
In something that should surprise no one, nuTSR did a racism. A lot of racism.

https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1554221176603688960?t=HRYwwwPA0MzzAgf98h7XIQ&s=19

Edit: this unsurprising information is newer and more substantial than the original leak.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 2, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Battletech community is having what I believe is a called a normal one.

News on The Facebook is that the right winger who got kicked out from Battletech is going to be apologized to and invited back into writing future Battletech fiction, but there are so many pro and anti comments coming I have lost track of who is who, though I think CGL will be far better without him.

Looks like the thing has been staged to get his own giant-robot-universe with no leftists and heroic white men some news and get a some QUANON types posting on Facebook about it.

From the now ex-battletech writer's latest book:

Being it's Facebook it's probably being aggravated by Steve Bannon and will lead to a fascist take over of the US or something...probably going to be a plot point in his next book.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 2, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Eastmabl posted:

https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1554221176603688960?t=HRYwwwPA0MzzAgf98h7XIQ&s=19
dude did not take skill focus: whistling for the dog

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eastmabl posted:

It has been discussed at length a few pages ago in this thread.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, this is new, someone leaked a draft of the whole book apparently.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Eastmabl posted:

When you're racist but you don't know the difference between gender and race.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's too late but it is slightly sad the transbots thing didn't pan out and they didn't massively rip off transformers too, that would get more of hasbro's lawyers activated

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah, this is new, someone leaked a draft of the whole book apparently.

Full draft has been leaked and reviewed. Unsurprisingly, it's more than just the one gross thing first leaked.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eastmabl posted:

Full draft has been leaked and reviewed. Unsurprisingly, it's more than just the one gross thing first leaked.

I don't hate myself enough to read the entire thing but did get far enough to see that a slave revolt on a planet where slavery is legal is punishable under the UCPS Star Law "Universal Jurisdiction."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Comstar posted:

News on The Facebook is that the right winger who got kicked out from Battletech is going to be apologized to and invited back into writing future Battletech fiction, but there are so many pro and anti comments coming I have lost track of who is who, though I think CGL will be far better without him.

Catalyst Games Labs might very well be some kind of alien experiment engineered to always make the worst decision possible in every situation to see how much humanity will put up with.

Eastmabl posted:

Edit: this unsurprising information is newer and more substantial than the original leak.

The racism is not a shocker, but this bit is amusing to me:

https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1554221258342076418

I suppose it must be some racist reflex to always have a stat in their games that numerically rates how hot someone is, and the example section always has to digress about the author's ideal woman and nothing else.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 2, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I suppose it must be some racist reflex to always have a stat in their games that numerically rates how hot someone is, and the example section always has to digress about the author's ideal woman and nothing else.

It's truly bizarre encountering someone who can't see a pretty woman without reacting like the wolf in a Tex Avery cartoon, and who thinks that their experience is the universal for all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E52cUgenuc

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1554221230600949766

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
"Sickle-cell enemia(sic) and family issues"

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Post-irony society

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, you can count on me to do a F&F of this, though I don't know when I'll get around to it. I got banned for digging up the guy's criminal record, may as well have fun with it.

:sickos:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Comstar posted:

The Battletech community is having what I believe is a called a normal one.

Looks like the thing has been staged to get his own giant-robot-universe with no leftists and heroic white men some news and get a some QUANON types posting on Facebook about it.

From the now ex-battletech writer's latest book:

Being it's Facebook it's probably being aggravated by Steve Bannon and will lead to a fascist take over of the US or something...probably going to be a plot point in his next book.

According to /btg/, the plot is:

quote:

Liberals get a supermajority and SCOTUS control, and immediate declare the constitution null and void, make pedophilia legal, make gender transition mandatory if you hit certain psychological markers, and use the Republican voter registry to round up everyone who has ever voted for a right-wing candidate and put them into literal death camps. They neutralize the military by bringing in foreign militaries under the guise of liaison workshops; there's a short fire fight where the Canadian army takes over Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana and gains control of the nuclear weapons controlled from there. The book centers around a small band of heroic right wing freedom fighters led by a struggling sci-fi writer and his improbability attractive redhead girlfriend, and basically reenacts the plot of the original "Red Dawn" film. Instead of everyone dying at the end, it sets up an overthrow of the liberal government and the installation of a new one-party right wing government where taxation an immigration are both illegal.

RIPPED FROM TODAY'S HEADLINES!!!!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

According to /btg/, the plot is:

I know "all of these accusations feel like confessions" is a worn-out meme these days, but I couldn't help but think of this recent Business Insider piece on "how Team Red wants to rewrite the Constitution" and what that might entail.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/lonesharkgames/status/1554212020802555904

Lone Shark Games will not be at GenCon2022 because the senate of Indiana approved a near-total ban on abortions. They’re still going to have stuff on sale during gencon and the proceeds will be donated to midwest access coalition.

I wonder if others will follow suit? I could see a lot of smaller groups pulling out and breathing a sigh of relief about not having to deal with the covid policies, but maybe I’m being too cynical.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Chakan posted:

https://twitter.com/lonesharkgames/status/1554212020802555904

Lone Shark Games will not be at GenCon2022 because the senate of Indiana approved a near-total ban on abortions. They’re still going to have stuff on sale during gencon and the proceeds will be donated to midwest access coalition.

I wonder if others will follow suit? I could see a lot of smaller groups pulling out and breathing a sigh of relief about not having to deal with the covid policies, but maybe I’m being too cynical.

I live here and I hope more businesses (including the RPG sphere) put the pressure on, since that's the only group the legislature listens to. loving mess of a state.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That Star Frontiers text is truly amazing(ly awful). The Star Frontiers alignment system reminds me of the unwritten D&D alignment system. People seem generally uninterested in the "finer" points of the intersection of rules and morality, so we get:

Lawful good = very good
Neutral good = somewhat good
Chaotic good = occasionally good, often selfish

Lawful neutral = character defined by their adherence to rules
True Neutral = somebody who thinks "grey Jedi" is a thing (PC), or a druid and/or lizard
Chaotic neutral = fantasy libertarian and/or "I flip my copper piece to see whether I help you guys out of the burning building"

Lawful evil = kinda evil
Neutral evil = rather evil
Chaotic evil = LFG to murder, WTB body parts

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The Canadian military, lol, and additionally, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chakan posted:

I would love to see something like that, but the event literally starts in two days, so unless this gets a huge boost exceptionally quickly, it is almost certainly too late to change for this year. Maybe the pressure can be put on for next year? But your average 55 year old male gamer will have probably forgotten about this asault on women's rights before then because they're selfish and myopic and poo poo.