Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Does feel pretty inevitable that PM Pork Markets is gonna have to do something drastic to avert literal civil unrest at some point though. £500/month energy bills will just be absolutely unsustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

WhatEvil posted:

Post-me-own-tweets Dibbler:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1554180953261674497?s=20&t=LjsY6qWuyAsrnq--TeLJrA

(Cause it's easier than separately uploading the image again).

Indeed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Perfect Element posted:

They couldn't even rustle up enough of an audience to fake canned laughter, so you can just hear the other participants awkwardly guffawing at the 'jokes'.

The forced laughter of the cameraman and the producer, it was painful

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

WhatEvil posted:

Post-me-own-tweets Dibbler:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1554180953261674497?s=20&t=LjsY6qWuyAsrnq--TeLJrA

(Cause it's easier than separately uploading the image again).

This was basically the premise for a US show that gave Tucker Carlson his break around 20 years ago. They invited John Stewart on for an episode, he called them out for being partisan hacks working for the status quo, and the show was cancelled a short time later.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

xtothez posted:

This was basically the premise for a US show that gave Tucker Carlson his break around 20 years ago. They invited John Stewart on for an episode, he called them out for being partisan hacks working for the status quo, and the show was cancelled a short time later.

That was Crossfire I think. I remember watching that episode by complete chance - and then when Stewart found out it had been cancelled he did a bit on other shows he’d like to appear on if he has that kind of power.

I think Carlson tried to deflect by showing examples of when Stewart had “flip flopped” and JS basically said “I’m a comedian, I can do that. You’re supposed to be a journalist.”

Crossfire really was poo poo.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Only Kindness posted:

More violence for the senses.

Dunno if top bit or bottom bit is worse, tee bee aitch.

The top bit is worse.
Since it glossing over the inequality and sexisim in professional sports while at the same time trying to push a "yes the far right is massing to remove women's rights. But the England's woman's team won in the women's European Championships, so women's rights have been won!"

The bottom bit is Liz arguably doing something good (Getting rid of regressive taxes based on bad science) for the wrong reasons. (Doing it to make herself popular with the Tories/"removing the Nanny state.")

The problem with things like Sugar Tax and the like....

1) They lead to counter productive results. (The price of drinks with sugar go up, to discourage people from drinking "unhealthy" drinks. But that means the cheaper/more economic drinks end up being the zero sugar ones which have things like Saccrine or Spartamine in them. Which is also bad for your health just in different ways.)

2) A lot of the science behind these "sugar is bad for you" when you drill down is science from the 1930's which boiled down to
"If you are fat it must be because you eat too many pies, fatty! The Medical Article."
Basically the foundation for a lot of the scientific research into food, obesity and health either uses a lot of wildly out of date material (still accepted as gospel) or all funded by the diet industry.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Agree with point two, but are artificial sweeteners really that bad for you? Every time I’ve looked I’ve not found conclusive evidence.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Question IRL posted:

The top bit is worse.
Since it glossing over the inequality and sexisim in professional sports while at the same time trying to push a "yes the far right is massing to remove women's rights. But the England's woman's team won in the women's European Championships, so women's rights have been won!"

It's Julie Burchill, the "women's very existence being denied" bit is a terf dogwhistle reference to trans people wanting to not be misgendered

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would that my brain were so soft that I could experience ego death because someone asked me call them a different name.

A head full of delicious neural blancmange.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

yung lambic posted:

Agree with point two, but are artificial sweeteners really that bad for you? Every time I’ve looked I’ve not found conclusive evidence.

I don't think there's any proof of, like, toxicity, but that your body detects sweetness and reacts expecting sugars only to not get them, which leads to digestion disruption.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Angepain posted:

It's Julie Burchill, the "women's very existence being denied" bit is a terf dogwhistle reference to trans people wanting to not be misgendered

it's not even really a dogwhistle. there's only one way to take that line, it's all very out in the open.

i don't know if it's working but i am hoping that things being as poo poo as they are in the UK these days, this manufactured hysteria over trans rights isn't going to cut through. it's beyond pathetic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

yung lambic posted:

There is a lot of material to comb through.

It is starting to look likely that some (not all but some) are bad when it comes to developing diabetes.

Others (as has been noted anecdotally because I used to suffer from it) have pointed out that it can be bad for your digestive health. Basically some of them can give you the runs something fierce.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, 99% of the stuff about artificial sweeteners is for sugar manufacturers what the "but unleaded petrol contains benzene, that is carcinogenic" was for petrol manufacturers.

Like yes there's an order of magnitude in harm reduction between the two even if the replacement isn't perfect, but the manufacturers aren't raising all these 'legitimate concerns' about the replacement they're being pressured to make out of concern for your health.

OwlFancier posted:

Would that my brain were so soft that I could experience ego death because someone asked me call them a different name.

A head full of delicious neural blancmange.
I think I managed to cause psychic damage to a ter with if you want to play for the England women's team should you have to be biologically English?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Basically some of them can give you the runs something fierce.

In my youth I once consumed two rolls of sugar free polo mints and having blasted the porcelain with my rump waterfall learned to never again trust the loathsome fakesweet.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i've never had any kind of problem with sweeteners and i use them 4/5 times a day in coffee. must be one of those things that upsets some people but for others it is fine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Chinese Gordon posted:

Does feel pretty inevitable that PM Pork Markets is gonna have to do something drastic to avert literal civil unrest at some point though. £500/month energy bills will just be absolutely unsustainable.

PM PM is going to be a wild ride for many reasons, but yeah I don't think she's equipped to handle the cost of living crisis finally hitting middle classes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being real I did use cyclamate as a sweetener and it was fine. Two whole rolls of whichever sweetener is in polos is a different matter as the sweetener is also sold as a laxative.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

roomtone posted:

i've never had any kind of problem with sweeteners and i use them 4/5 times a day in coffee. must be one of those things that upsets some people but for others it is fine.

I think it's mostly sugar alcohols like sorbitol that cause this. The stevia sweeteners you'd be putting in your coffee are absolutely fine.

It's plausible that heavy use has some disruptive effect on your gut microbiome, but that would be more than offset by increasing your level of dietary fibre

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

roomtone posted:

i don't know if it's working but i am hoping that things being as poo poo as they are in the UK these days, this manufactured hysteria over trans rights isn't going to cut through. it's beyond pathetic.

The picture isn't all bad but things don't seem to be improving much (let alone enough) in terms of public opinion

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1549692153365991424

The most interesting part of the article here was how much difference there was in opinion between people who didn't personally know any trans people, people who knew at least one and people who had a friend or family member who was trans. Which is probably to be expected and might also be correlated with age but still.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Being real I did use cyclamate as a sweetener and it was fine. Two whole rolls of whichever sweetener is in polos is a different matter as the sweetener is also sold as a laxative.
Cyclamate is the best sweetener, in that it doesn't make you poo poo like the sugar alcohols, nor taste like poo poo like stevia, but it was victim to the first round of "literally made out of cancers" round of fear blanketing from the sugar companies in the 60s, to the point where it's still banned in the USA (where you can get all the paint based colorings you desire) but has been found to be safe beyond reasonable doubt by the EU.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I think I managed to cause psychic damage to a ter with if you want to play for the England women's team should you have to be biologically English?

(w'gah)NGL fish person football would be quite interesting and it would keep michael gove out of politics.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Angepain posted:

Like some kind of 'replacement theory' :thunk:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Cyclamate is the best sweetener, in that it doesn't make you poo poo like the sugar alcohols, nor taste like poo poo like stevia, but it was victim to the first round of "literally made out of cancers" round of fear blanketing from the sugar companies in the 60s, to the point where it's still banned in the USA (where you can get all the paint based colorings you desire) but has been found to be safe beyond reasonable doubt by the EU.

Yeah, it was found to cause cancer in rats and if it ends up giving me cancer too then I am happy to have contributed to the scientific cause in the discovery of human-rat chimerality.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
with keith's luhbuh party as the alternative our best hope is to wait for inflatable thatcher liz to do good things for bad reasons

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, it was found to cause cancer in rats and if it ends up giving me cancer too then I am happy to have contributed to the scientific cause in the discovery of human-rat chimerality.

Wasn't that "if you stuff enough of it into the rat that you have practically embalmed it in cyclamate then this causes problems for the rat"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Chinese Gordon posted:

Oh she absolutely will. Troops on the streets to show she's tough on disobedience. She is precisely the kind of idiot to end up dropping us into a V for Vendetta reboot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of sweeteners, Xylitol is a good tasty sweetener that has few negative health effects.....
Unless you are a dog. In which case it is super loving toxic.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of sweeteners, Xylitol is a good tasty sweetener that has few negative health effects.....

So is chocolate tbf.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Wasn't that "if you stuff enough of it into the rat that you have practically embalmed it in cyclamate then this causes problems for the rat"

*Chuckles Paracelsus-ishly*

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I used to sell packets of Smints in high school and got dragged into the headmaster's office because they thought Xylitol was an addictive drug.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think it's mostly sugar alcohols like sorbitol that cause this. The stevia sweeteners you'd be putting in your coffee are absolutely fine.

It's plausible that heavy use has some disruptive effect on your gut microbiome, but that would be more than offset by increasing your level of dietary fibre

Stevia absolutely gives me the runs. I tried out some of those 'Skinny' products they have - Home Bargains sells a lot of them - sauces, fake nutella, biscuits and so forth - and without a doubt if I ate them in the same quantity as a regular item eg a pack of cookies - they increase bathroom visits considerably. So yeah it's ok when used in products but if you are the sort of person whose eating habits consider the quantum of the biscuit to be a pack, then watch out!

And it does have a not so great after taste too.

I've tried xylitol too and found the same.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Liz Truss going down the route of actively trying to cut teacher and nurse pay rather than the moderate passive way of just waiting for inflation to do it for them has finally shown some daylight between the Tories and Labour. Can't wait for Labour to chase them to the Right to actively close that gap.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If Truss can ditch the sugar tax and bring back Irn Bru as God intended I'll vote Tory.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's two main sweeteners they use in the diet colas, I forget which is which but the one used mainly in Pepsi Max/Coke Zero gives me an awful headache, while Diet Pepsi/Coke doesn't.

I remember a few years back when Coca Cola made Coke Life, which used stevia or something similar and had less sugar in than normal, but tasted a lot less tacky than regular Coke. Unfortunately they called it Coke Life, put it in an ugly green can and marketed it towards the kind of people who say namaste unironically, so the instant I saw it I knew it was doomed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

(w'gah)NGL fish person football would be quite interesting and it would keep michael gove out of politics.
Speaking of Michael Gove (and psychic damage), I came across a loving doozy of a thing recently that I'm not quite sure how to process.

I distantly as a small child asking my nan about various religions and things people believed, and getting an answer along the lines of "people believe all different things, some people believe god created the heavens and earth and put people on it, others believe the earth was around for a long time and gods came out of the water to put people on land." Some people definitely believe the former, sometimes to the point of blocking out all reason like Edwin Poots, but growing up I didn't really see anything of any group of people who believed the latter even socially, certainly not enough that it would get casually included in a "some people believe all different things" story. Maybe it was a Bowdlerised version of the Japanese one involving the god's bawbag?

Much more recently (like a few days ago) I happened across this:

quote:

Five years earlier right-wing think tank Civitas had launched a campaign to get Marshall’s deeply odd book back into print and on to school library shelves – and to that end they had been aggressively grooming various friends in high places. On 20th July 2007, another think tanker, the historian Tristram Hunt, deliberately name-checked Our Island Story on BBC Breakfast and sales immediately rocketed, much to the delight of Civitas and its supporters. Daily Telegraph readers, Gove-ite Tories and nascent Brexiters from all sides adored the notion of the “Our Island Story Movement”

quote:

On coming to office, an on-message PM Dave Cameron cited Our Island Story as his favourite book in what was now a clear, cynical and concerted ploy to embrace a fictional past and to actively ignore truth and critical thinking.

I've somehow managed to avoid ever hearing of this book. I know what Gove and Hunt and so on wanted to do to the history curriculum, replacing all that woke critical analysis with kings and dates and good solid facts, right? Henry the eighth, George the dime bag, 1066, 1690, 1707, 1488 and solid reliable regurgitate-able facts?

So I went and found a copy, expecting a whole bunch of that. Original Copyright 1905 by H. E. Marshall, Distributed by Heritage History 2009.

Our Island Story posted:

Once upon a time there was a giant called Neptune.
When he was quite a tiny boy, Neptune loved the sea. All day long he played in it, swimming, diving, and laughing gleefully as the waves dashed over him.
As he grew older he came to know and love the sea so well that the sea and the waves loved him too, and acknowledged him to be their king. At last people said he was not only king of the waves, but god of the sea.
Neptune had a very beautiful wife who was called Amphitrite. He had also many sons. As each son became old enough to reign, Neptune made him king over an island.
Neptune‟s fourth son was called Albion. When it came to his turn to receive a kingdom, a great council was called to decide upon an island for him.
Now Neptune and Amphitrite loved Albion more than any of their other children. This made it very difficult to chose which island should be his.
The mermaids and mermen, as the wonderful people who live in the sea are called, came from all parts of the world with news of beautiful islands. But after hearing about them, Neptune and Amphitrite would shake their heads and say, “No, that is not good enough for Albion.”

Our Island Story posted:

As soon as it came in sight, Neptune raised himself on a big wave, and when he saw the little island lying before him, like a beautiful gem in the blue water, just as the mermaid had said, he cried out in joy, “This is the island of my love. Albion shall rule it and Albion it shall be called.”
So Albion took possession of the little island, which until then had been called Samothea, and he changed its name to Albion, as Neptune had said should be done.
For seven years Albion reigned over his little island. At the end of that time he was killed in a fight with the hero Hercules. This was a great grief to Neptune and Amphitrite. But because of the love they bore to their son Albion, they continued to love and watch over the little green island which was called by his name.

For many years after the death of Albion the little island had no ruler. At last, one day there came sailing from the far-off city of Troy a prince called Brutus. He, seeing the fair island, with white cliffs and golden sands, landed with all his mighty men of war. There were many giants in the land in those days, but Brutus fought and conquered them. He made himself king, not only over Albion, but over all the islands which lay around. He called them the kingdom of Britain or Britannia after his own name, Brutus, and Albion he called Great Britain because it was the largest of the islands.

Our Island Story posted:

It was now the King of Ireland's turn to laugh. “What mad people these Britons are!” he said. “Was ever such folly heard of? Have they not enough stones in their own country, that they must come to take mine? I shall certainly not give them one single stone of the Giant‟s Dance. Tell them to go home again and not to be so foolish.”
But the Britons had quite made up their minds to have the Giant‟s Dance. As the King of Ireland would not give it to them, they resolved to fight for it. This they did, and soon put the Irish to flight.

This is wilder than the magic oranges. Was there really a movement to replace evidence and dialectic based history with fighting Irish giants for rocks? And it worked? And nobody made a bigger deal about Michael Gove wanting to replace parts of this history curriculum with mermen while he was writing his own foreword to the Bible?

It's the kind of thing I would have expected to have been made more of at the time. :krakken:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's two main sweeteners they use in the diet colas, I forget which is which but the one used mainly in Pepsi Max/Coke Zero gives me an awful headache, while Diet Pepsi/Coke doesn't.

I remember a few years back when Coca Cola made Coke Life, which used stevia or something similar and had less sugar in than normal, but tasted a lot less tacky than regular Coke. Unfortunately they called it Coke Life, put it in an ugly green can and marketed it towards the kind of people who say namaste unironically, so the instant I saw it I knew it was doomed.

Aspartame is the one in Max/Zero but in the last 10 years Diet moved to the same.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Liz Truss going down the route of actively trying to cut teacher and nurse pay rather than the moderate passive way of just waiting for inflation to do it for them has finally shown some daylight between the Tories and Labour. Can't wait for Labour to chase them to the Right to actively close that gap.

Labour have called it a "fantasy plan for levelling down" and that's such a good description that I fully expect that spokesman to be fired by the end of the day

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Being fat also causes cancer (among other things) so hypothetical cancer in rats is far preferable unless you happen you're Rattus rattus

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Z the IVth posted:

Being fat also causes cancer (among other things) so hypothetical cancer in rats is far preferable unless you happen you're Rattus rattus

At this point everything causes cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's true, but it's also like the "everything's racist these days, isn't it" of nutrition in that there's a bunch of bad actors using it to cover their own actions while making GBS threads on any progress. The Rhetoric of Reaction and all that.