Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Opopanax posted:

Asking again about how to get PS3 emulation going. Everything else is working but emudeck doesn’t register any ps3 stuff and I thought I remembered someone saying I had to do something.

Also is there a vampire survivors thread? I don’t want to poo poo this one up with questions

Dunno about PS3 emulation but here's the VS thread. It's very helpful and good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I ordered a 512GB SD card through the Shop app and a Shopify store, but it arrived in an Amazon envelope. Guess I’m testing that bad boy out!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Opopanax posted:

Asking again about how to get PS3 emulation going. Everything else is working but emudeck doesn’t register any ps3 stuff and I thought I remembered someone saying I had to do something.
RPCS3 needs some configuring and installation done in Desktop mode. You need the PS3UPDAT.PUP from Sony, and you have to install it in RPCS3 through File->Install Firmware.

Then what you do with the games depends on the format. The couple games I have are in PKG format, which you also need to install in Desktop mode with File->Install .pkg. If you have a bundle of files or folders, those have to be put in ~/Emulation/storage/rpcs3/dev_hdd0/disc (or /game if it's a PSN title). There may be more to the bunch-of-files part; the games I had available were packaged up in pkg format so I can't verify that.

Once the games are installed they'll show up in the RPCS3 interface, and SteamRomManager will be able to find them.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Re: battery chat. What's the best way to prolong life- play plugged in or drain the battery to 20% then charge up?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Keep it plugged in, it'll charge itself up to capacity and then power itself directly rather than charging the battery and even drain the battery to maintain battery health.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Keep it plugged in, it'll charge itself up to capacity and then power itself directly rather than charging the battery and even drain the battery to maintain battery health.

Was this actually confirmed? I still see folks asking if this is the case.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My GBA SP maintained its battery life formidably and I played with it mostly plugged-in. They figured out enough about how to start/stop charging that it wasn't an issue back then.

I generally assume that reputable products haven't gotten worse in that regard.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I own two laptops made in 2021 and 2022 that have USB-C PD but will degrade battery life if you use them when full instead of the traditional barrel connector.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone needs a portable charger bestbuy is selling the 80w one for $28 (it’s 65w on the usb c output)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-80-w-26800-mah-portable-charger-for-most-usb-c-laptops-black/6459787.p?skuId=6459787

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 1, 2022

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone needs a portable charger bestbuy is selling the 80w one for $28 (it’s 65w on the usb c output)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-80-w-26800-mah-portable-charger-for-most-usb-c-laptops-black/6459787.p?skuId=6459787

drat, that's a good rear end deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It is! So I bought one! It comes with a usb c cable too.

^ what happened to your av??

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

It is! So I bought one! It comes with a usb c cable too.

^ what happened to your av??

lol cmon, It's me, Bum. Just a usual banning. I'll buy it back when I care to.

I got banned for suggesting I drive recklessly in Automotive Insanity. Yes the irony isn't lost on me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bum the Sad posted:

lol cmon, It's me, Bum. Just a usual banning. I'll buy it back when I care to.

I got banned for suggesting I drive recklessly in Automotive Insanity. Yes the irony isn't lost on me.

You don't understand AI then.

Re: Steam Deck: still good as hell

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tiny Timbs posted:

I own two laptops made in 2021 and 2022 that have USB-C PD but will degrade battery life if you use them when full instead of the traditional barrel connector.

You know, I forgot how much of a disaster the USB-C "standard" (umbrella?) was. Maybe I should pay more attention.

Hoping my almost-always-plugged-in Steam Deck isn't doing me dirty.

I certainly see the Charging light go on and off of its own accord so I assume it's using some kind of brains there.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hammer Bro. posted:

You know, I forgot how much of a disaster the USB-C "standard" (umbrella?) was. Maybe I should pay more attention.

Hoping my almost-always-plugged-in Steam Deck isn't doing me dirty.

I certainly see the Charging light go on and off of its own accord so I assume it's using some kind of brains there.

Yeah if you leave it plugged in for like a week without ever unplugging it it will self discharge itself down to like 80% and leave that as the "new" 100%. It's got some battery preservation algorithm.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I also read a story on Reddit where the poster ran out the battery, plugged it in, and continued playing at low battery levels before waiting for it to build much of a charge. The Deck completely shut itself down and could not be revived.

There’s definitely some funky stuff going on with Valve’s battery management that I wouldn’t think about in other devices.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Tiny Timbs posted:

I also read a story on Reddit where the poster ran out the battery, plugged it in, and continued playing at low battery levels before waiting for it to build much of a charge. The Deck completely shut itself down and could not be revived.

There’s definitely some funky stuff going on with Valve’s battery management that I wouldn’t think about in other devices.

RIP Dick

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Took a small risk on an unknown (to me) matte etched glass screen protector off Amazon and am satisfied. I just installed it, and seems to not have diminished clarity on my 512 to the point I can notice. It only came 1 to a pack but it was a perfect fit, standard application. In case people wanted a link, brand is called Magglass: https://a.co/g34NyCw

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Re: battery chat. What's the best way to prolong life- play plugged in or drain the battery to 20% then charge up?
Running down the battery will always reduce the lifespan of the battery. That's not to say "don't play on battery", but if you're deciding between charging and not charging, go with charging.

Beyond that don't try to janitor the battery, just let the Deck do it's thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

parasyte posted:

RPCS3 needs some configuring and installation done in Desktop mode. You need the PS3UPDAT.PUP from Sony, and you have to install it in RPCS3 through File->Install Firmware.

Then what you do with the games depends on the format. The couple games I have are in PKG format, which you also need to install in Desktop mode with File->Install .pkg. If you have a bundle of files or folders, those have to be put in ~/Emulation/storage/rpcs3/dev_hdd0/disc (or /game if it's a PSN title). There may be more to the bunch-of-files part; the games I had available were packaged up in pkg format so I can't verify that.

Once the games are installed they'll show up in the RPCS3 interface, and SteamRomManager will be able to find them.

No luck but it's MGS4 which apparently doesn't really work anyways on the deck so maybe it's not me

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone getting hitching every few seconds in Forza Horizon 5?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have a link for a car charger that actually works? I have one that kinda works but it’s kinda flakey.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

Would this also act as a substitute charging cable? Like, I could plug this into an outlet and "pass through" into the Deck?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zachack posted:

Would this also act as a substitute charging cable? Like, I could plug this into an outlet and "pass through" into the Deck?

No because the USBC port is an in / out port so to charge it you’d need to use the usb c port.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anno posted:

20 Minutes to Dawn is the one that I think has done best on Steam at least. Though wasn’t this an existing and popular mobile subgenre prior to VS?

Trip report: 20 Minutes to Dawn is mediocre.

The visual aesthetic is nice though I think the limited palette works against it once the screen gets crowded. Having what seems like all the unlocks visible from the start is demotivating. Also it seems like you'll end up with most of the power ups almost every run if you do well. The level (I haven't beat) has pretty consistent spawn patterns, and the conditions for unlocking the next level (if that's what it is) are a little tough.

Acceptable study material for $3, but not something I think I'd enjoy for more than the few hours I've spent. Also it's not 100% geared for the deck (or joysticks), though it's workable.

On the plus side, I now feel confident that I can do better than at least one of the players in the arena. Subject to testing of course.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man all I’ve been playing today is borderlands 1 enhanced and it’s just a load of fun. It’s even better since I can just sleep the device and don’t have to worry about getting to a save point like on a regular Pc.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Veotax posted:

Don't hesitate to open a Steam support ticket (or reply to your open one) if you feel it's taking too long. Valve literally forgot about my RMA until I pinged them and it got back on track

Yo big thanks for suggesting this. Opened a new ticket asking for an update and the new guy initiated the replacement shipment.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

pseudorandom name posted:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Was this actually confirmed? I still see folks asking if this is the case.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Running down the battery will always reduce the lifespan of the battery. That's not to say "don't play on battery", but if you're deciding between charging and not charging, go with charging.

Beyond that don't try to janitor the battery, just let the Deck do it's thing.

Basically: high temperature (regardless of cause) is bad for Li cells, and so are low and high states of charge. Don't stay plugged in long-term if you can help it, but in my case for example I'll leave it plugged in overnight when it's downloading/installing games because that's just what I have to do. Otherwise, if I'm playing at home I will play on battery and plug in to charge to ~80% and repeat the cycle; this is better than playing at 100% to bypass the battery and directly run off of grid power.

Without talking to someone in the industry, it's hard to get reliable information, but some of the above advice can also be found in the following guide, which is also similarly shared by others who are familiar with the topic:

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/04/28/lithium-ion-battery-care-guide-part-one/
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/04/lithium-ion-battery-care-guide-part-two/
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/18/lithium-ion-battery-care-guide-part-three/
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/27/lithium-ion-battery-care-guide-part-four/
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/06/24/lithium-ion-battery-care-guide-part-five/
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/08/03/lithium-ion-battery-care-guide-summary-of-battery-best-practices/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played a bunch of multiversus with my kid yesterday, him on his desktop and me on the deck. Surprisingly good experience. It hitched at one point and I basically had to quit out, but otherwise it was a fun free smash clone that does pretty well online. Works great on the deck.

Other than that Ive mostly been playing 2d indie stuff. This is the perfect Stardew Valley machine.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Haha, this is going to be the longest week : https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/s/US/512/1626754970

Super hype to be taking extended poop breaks at work, hopefully it runs well on tethering for online stuff.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

FedEx sucks so badly. At least their tracking system does. Picked up Saturday. Delivery estimate was the following Wednesday.

Then on Sunday they said “oh crap it’s coming today between 10:15 and 1:55pm”. Sweet! Cleared out my afternoon… Nothing.

Then yesterday they said “oh crap it’s coming today between 10:15 and 1:55pm”. Nope.

Same deal today. Although it appears to have migrated somewhat closer to my home. (I’ve heard of the city that it’s currently at “a fedex location” in.)

:choco:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Chinook posted:

FedEx sucks so badly. At least their tracking system does. Picked up Saturday. Delivery estimate was the following Wednesday.

Then on Sunday they said “oh crap it’s coming today between 10:15 and 1:55pm”. Sweet! Cleared out my afternoon… Nothing.

Then yesterday they said “oh crap it’s coming today between 10:15 and 1:55pm”. Nope.

Same deal today. Although it appears to have migrated somewhat closer to my home. (I’ve heard of the city that it’s currently at “a fedex location” in.)

:choco:

FedEx is just a bad company. Honestly until it's in your city, you're not getting it. Probably will be tomorrow.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Coredump posted:

Anyone getting hitching every few seconds in Forza Horizon 5?

Maybe? The performance tools report a solid 40FPS but it still feels weird every few seconds or so, is that what you mean?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I got periodic hitching with FH5 with a decent desktop computer, and I found plenty of reports of the same issue. Might not be the Deck's fault.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowman posted:

FedEx is just a bad company. Honestly until it's in your city, you're not getting it. Probably will be tomorrow.
My delivery went "Received Carol Stream IL -> Out for Delivery Carol Stream IL", which I can only interpret as somehow, they looked at the return address and thought it was the delivery address and immediately put it back on the truck?? Don't know how that's possible with loving barcodes but it took them a day to get that worked out and going the right direction. It gets there eventually though!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Apparently my Dell P2415Q monitor can do 3840x2160 at 40 Hz, which I'm a bit surprised about. Is 40 Hz support common among panels?

I mean, I'm not that surprised since it can obviously do 3840x2160 at 30 Hz, so the refresh rate is within it's min/max specs, I just figured it might be a bit more picky about only supporting CEA modes or something.

Anyways it's pretty nifty because I'm been trying the 40 Hz thing on the Deck and when docked I can just turn on FSR scaling and not worry about changing in-game graphics settings. The results aren't fantastic, but they're good enough to not be worth more effort on my part.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Finally got my Deck this weekend after many delays and it is the perfect machine. Well worth the price of admission. I can play most of my Steam library. Even the Owlcat Pathfinder games work really well. This breadth of options is the killer app that will surely make it obviate the Switch.

Anyways I'm not actually gonna play anything but more Vampire Survivors.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

A replacement deck battery is 94$ now, and I will assume more aftermarket battery replacements will eventually come out.

I can imagine in a year and a half, two years, it'll probably be 50~60 bucks, and I think takes all of 15 minutes to replace

So take care of your batteries but don't let it consume your mind palace. play videogames instead

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I keep trying to get back into Terraria/Stardew Valley/Crosscode/ similar good-for-deck games I enjoyed years ago but never beat, but I just end up lost. I think I need to start over instead of trying to pick up 5+ year old save files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

forest spirit posted:

I can imagine in a year and a half, two years, it'll probably be 50~60 bucks, and I think takes all of 15 minutes to replace

This is all guesses and straight wrong info. It's one of the harder things to replace because it's adhered to the case. People get scared applying heat to the adhesive near the battery, and probably rightly so.

But yeah, play games and worry about it when the time comes.