Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'd watch garbage american tv over garbage british tv any day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Typical American : "gee well I can't just fill myself with garbage burgers and fizzy juice all day, better fill myself with garbage TV shows that all have 200 episodes".

Lol, you watched Westworld for a whole twenty minutes, huh? And you last played MGS2 two years ago? You are the kid who hates peas even though you never tried them.

Wouldn’t it be just a little embarrassing to find out that I am also part of the Commonwealth and that, once again, you have no clue what you are talking about?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 2, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tango alpha delta posted:

Wouldn’t it be just a little embarrassing to find out that I am also part of the Commonwealth and that, once again, you have no clue what you are talking about?

Mate my face is redder than Steve Carrell doing a bad Ricky Gervais impression

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Mate my face is redder than Steve Carrell doing a bad Ricky Gervais impression

Lol, you are just the kid who hates peas because he tried them once a long time ago and they were “yucky”.

This is a bit that you do, right? Because Hugh Laurie does a much better Angry British Man.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 2, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Many of the best tv series of all time are American (examples in the last couple decades include The Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) so I’m forced to conclude American tv is good actually

Sure it’s got plenty of stinkers, but when it hits, it hits just right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really I just want everyone to watch Mad Men

What if there had been a Mad Men video game where you play as Peggy Olson trying to make it in advertising while also trying not to murder any of her colleagues

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Harrow posted:

Many of the best tv series of all time are American (examples in the last couple decades include The Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) so I’m forced to conclude American tv is good actually

Sure it’s got plenty of stinkers, but when it hits, it hits just right

All good shows in the sense they are well produced but whatever cinematic magic makes people care past the first episode is just something that doesn't work on me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

The Guardian Legend is a criminally underrated game and I wish it had a sequel or two. It marries its two different gamestyles amazingly well.

Golvelius is by the same team and uses a lot of the same concepts though the autoscrolling areas aren't as frantic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

Really I just want everyone to watch Mad Men

What if there had been a Mad Men video game where you play as Peggy Olson trying to make it in advertising while also trying not to murder any of her colleagues

Im so glad Mad Men ended so I no longer hear about it anymore

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Im so glad Mad Men ended so I no longer hear about it anymore

Too bad, I'm going to keep bringing it up as long as I keep posting :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
TV shows? how low brow, maybe you have heard of litterature :smug:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Rutibex posted:

TV shows? how low brow, maybe you have heard of litterature :smug:

If James Joyce were alive today he would be into anime dating sims

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Watched about 4 episodes of mad men, me and the wife both found it unbearably sleazy and uncomfortable.

But it had a bunch of actors people found attractive so they got to poo poo out 100 episodes

Lol television is such boring 20th century shite

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the best TV show ever made is MXC and I'm not joking

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the best TV show ever made is MXC and I'm not joking

Right you are, Ken.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Unpopular Television Opinions

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best tv show is the UK office, not because its particularly amazing but because it only lasts 12 episodes and has a happy ending.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

Right you are, Ken.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
the best TV show is Taskmaster.

SCheeseman posted:

Unpopular Television Opinions

Here's mine: long-form narrative drama television is Bad, Actually. What if movies, but poorly paced at six to twelve hours long, with arbitrary breaks for cliffhangers in the middle?? gently caress all of that, including Mad Men and Breaking Bad and all the other ones people have mentioned in this derail. Bring back episodic television!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JBJ not liking television like, at all, is one of the most insane things in this thread. Enjoying absolutely no shows at all is seriously notable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've watched like 10 minutes of the US version and haven't watched anything but clips of the UK version, but nothing with Gervais' smug loving face in it is capable of being good and US Office sucks too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Here's mine: long-form narrative drama television is Bad, Actually. What if movies, but poorly paced at six to twelve hours long, with arbitrary breaks for cliffhangers in the middle?? gently caress all of that, including Mad Men and Breaking Bad and all the other ones people have mentioned in this derail. Bring back episodic television!

Mad Men is mostly episodic, though. It doesn't do cliffhangers (ever, actually) or treat its seasons like "what if we made a 10-hour movie but broke it into 13 parts" like so many Netflix shows do. It has mostly self-contained episodes where the long-term stuff is more character development than plot. That's what makes it fun! That and it's really funny. Same for The Sopranos--both shows are heavily episodic in a way a lot of more recent drama shows aren't, and probably never will be again thanks to streaming.

I do actually really hate that "it's actually just a super-long movie and we're ending every episode with a cliffhanger so you binge-watch" thing and it's why I rarely even start watching new shows on streaming services these days. Netflix is even doing it with reality shows now.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

JBJ not liking television like, at all, is one of the most insane things in this thread. Enjoying absolutely no shows at all is seriously notable.

I liked squid game

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Watched about 4 episodes of mad men, me and the wife both found it unbearably sleazy and uncomfortable.

It’s a show about an advertising agency in the 60s. They were sleazy scumbags.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Harrow posted:

Mad Men is mostly episodic, though. It doesn't do cliffhangers (ever, actually) or treat its seasons like "what if we made a 10-hour movie but broke it into 13 parts" like so many Netflix shows do. It has mostly self-contained episodes where the long-term stuff is more character development than plot. That's what makes it fun! That and it's really funny. Same for The Sopranos--both shows are heavily episodic in a way a lot of more recent drama shows aren't, and probably never will be again thanks to streaming.

I do actually really hate that "it's actually just a super-long movie and we're ending every episode with a cliffhanger so you binge-watch" thing and it's why I rarely even start watching new shows on streaming services these days. Netflix is even doing it with reality shows now.

Yeah, I moss poo poo like Mission Impossible being a new spy movie every week. I remember when they brought Dr Who back and it got big I lost interest when they started being about these giant, season wide plots. One of my friends told me that without that it would just be a "monster of the week" show as if that was a bad thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, I moss poo poo like Mission Impossible being a new spy movie every week. I remember when they brought Dr Who back and it got big I lost interest when they started being about these giant, season wide plots. One of my friends told me that without that it would just be a "monster of the week" show as if that was a bad thing.

Yeah I lost interest in Doctor Who for exactly the same reason. I want fun sci-fi short stories, not these multiple season-long arcs where the whole universe revolves around the Doctor.

Also I missed this before but

DontMockMySmock posted:

the best TV show is Taskmaster.

Taskmaster is the most consistently funny TV show ever made and I don't think it's even close

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I'm replaying Chrono Trigger for the first time in... Probably 20 years? I got loving burnt out on Satisfactory and needed something to cleanse the pallette. I added an interesting looking romhack called Chrono Trigger plus. Nothing I don't like about it so far except for the Lucca sprite change, which isn't too horrible; just like the original better. I'm kinda too early in the game to see the big changes made anyhow. Currently in the factory right after you pick up Robo and goddamn if the music doesn't still hit me right in the nostalgic feels part of my brain.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

neato burrito posted:

I'm replaying Chrono Trigger for the first time in... Probably 20 years? I got loving burnt out on Satisfactory and needed something to cleanse the pallette. I added an interesting looking romhack called Chrono Trigger plus. Nothing I don't like about it so far except for the Lucca sprite change, which isn't too horrible; just like the original better. I'm kinda too early in the game to see the big changes made anyhow. Currently in the factory right after you pick up Robo and goddamn if the music doesn't still hit me right in the nostalgic feels part of my brain.

after your done with that you can play FF6 T-edition, finally translated to English
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6339/

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
They should remake chrono trigger, the original is just too old

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Subsequent West World seasons kill any merit West World season 1 had. One of the stupidest shows of all times with some of the worst visual effects. I've never seen gunshots look as fake as they do in West World where they just CG red splash onto a flopping persons shirt. The article about West World, posted here on the front page sums the show up best.

"I have to go there. Come with me."

"I can't. I have to go over there. It's the key. Or it's the door. Or it's the valley beyond. I remember now."

"Okay. Well, I remember the real purpose of this place."

"Okay." (Significant look)

It's still that now and it has been that since season 1. It is bad and dumb and an egregious waste of capital and ed harris's appearance at this point is basically obscene and also he's mcpoyle? mcpoyle? c'mon, gently caress off

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

People keep clamoring for an HD-2D Chrono Trigger remake but I just don't think it would work. For a while I thought it would have most of the personality stripped out of it, though after seeing the Live A Live remake I'm not worried about that anymore, that game's bursting with character. But I just think the environmental navigation and the way encounters trigger works much better in straight-up 2D than it would in a tilted half-3D perspective.

I could see something along the lines of the FF Pixel Remasters for it, maybe.

kntfkr posted:

It's still that now and it has been that since season 1. It is bad and dumb and an egregious waste of capital and ed harris's appearance at this point is basically obscene and also he's mcpoyle? mcpoyle? c'mon, gently caress off

Apparently the showrunners got really mad that people online managed to guess the twists in season 1 so they just stopped foreshadowing them at all and/or just filled the whole show with red herrings that would never go anywhere. Once you're more worried about tricking the audience than telling a good story, it's already over.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Harrow posted:

Once you're more worried about tricking the audience than telling a good story, it's already over.

We know, we saw Lost

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

We know, we saw Lost

That too lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
You're right. Auteur's obsessed with twists and tricking the audience make mostly bad content.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

If they do any kind of chrono trigger remake they should do something about the loving rat chase

I replayed it last year and I still hate it as much as the first time

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Westworld s4 is actually pretty good

that being said, people who actually like dr. who or british tv in general coming in to talk about good tv is a real laugh to me

it's like people who think fromsoft games are the bee's knees because they're too dumb to play difficult games before

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I never beat chrono trigger DS cuz i locked myself into losing a fight against twin golems and i'd have to leave the dungeon for special items and come back to win it and it just seems like a lot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is making me want to play Chrono Trigger again, which is annoying because there are too many games I want to play right now

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Harrow posted:

This is making me want to play Chrono Trigger again, which is annoying because there are too many games I want to play right now

You should. It's a pretty good game.

Edit: You know that any Chrono Trigger remake will get the FF7R treatment. It may even make sense this time because the game's about time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i dont trust squaresoft to make good games any more. rom hacks are good enough