Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Framboise posted:

I forgot to take a picture but like...

So I've never been a huge fan of tomatoes on their own. Cooked, cool; in salads, fine, in sauces, awesome.

However this is because I've never had a homegrown tomato. Me and my girlfriend picked up a bunch from my grandma's garden a few days ago and my girlfriend suggested trying a tomato sandwich with her, and like... this is the best thing ever? I've eaten four of them over the past 2 days and it's all I want now.

It's seriously nothing special, and makes the "low effort" meal a couple posts above look painstakingly gourmet, but hot drat, my life revolves around these things and I will be sad when the tomatoes are gone.

Yet another goon has discovered the joy, the agony, the ecstasy, the passion of the humble tomato sandwich.

One of the greatest pleasures in life is the tomato sandwich. Cheapest loving white bread you can find, a wad of mayonnaise, and none of that fancy poo poo, we're talking Hellemans/Best Food, thick slices of tomato, salt, and black pepper.

It's all in the tomato. There is nowhere for a crap tomato to hide. It's not like caprese, where you've got mozzerella butting in, it's not like coban salatasi where you've got lemon and parseley and olives, nope, just tomato. It's not like tomates provencal, where you get meat involved. Just tomato, front and center, with a small supporting cast.

I sometimes think we could end wars with them.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

One of the greatest pleasures in life is the tomato sandwich. Cheapest loving white bread you can find, a wad of mayonnaise, and none of that fancy poo poo, we're talking Hellemans/Best Food, thick slices of tomato, salt, and black pepper.

It's all in the tomato. There is nowhere for a crap tomato to hide. It's not like caprese, where you've got mozzerella butting in, it's not like coban salatasi where you've got lemon and parseley and olives, nope, just tomato. It's not like tomates provencal, where you get meat involved. Just tomato, front and center, with a small supporting cast.

I sometimes think we could end wars with them.

Of the sandwiches I've made so far with these tomatoes, my favorite one was where I toasted my bread with some butter in a pan, put a bit of mayo on one and a bit of garden vegetable cream cheese on the other, then layered 3 giant slabs of tomato, which I hit with a little everything bagel seasoning, then smashed it all together.

Torquemada posted:

Leibling once said something like “all cooked food aspires to the condition of ripe fruit”. It is, in fact something special, and the vast majority of people won’t ever get to experience it. On a positive note, there are many ultra seasonal foodstuffs you’ve probably never experienced at their peak, so you might look at it as the beginning of a wonderful journey of discovery.

I've always been neutral to most produce. I mean I like most fruits and vegetables are okay when prepared right, but these tomatoes have me ready to do some research for next year so I can plant my own and have a stock of them at all times. My grandma's garden isn't that big at all (maybe 4-6 plants), and we still took like 15-20 pounds of tomatoes home with us, which she said was barely a fraction of what had grown this year.

We moved from an apartment into a house last year, so now that we have a backyard, I'm all in on turning some of it into a garden where I can start having actual fresh food.

I'm genuinely astonished at how much of a difference it makes. I've never cared too much for tomatoes because the ones you find in the produce section are flavorless and even kinda tough, but these are soft and bursting with flavor. It really is an eye-opening moment for me.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 2, 2022

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

a wad of mayonnaise, and none of that fancy poo poo, we're talking Hellemans/Best Food

I agree with everything you said about a tomato sandwich, but I have to at least upgrade to something like Duke's. I'm not sure if that falls into "fancy poo poo", but it's a huge upgrade on Hellemans without spending too much more.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Random Hero posted:

I agree with everything you said about a tomato sandwich, but I have to at least upgrade to something like Duke's. I'm not sure if that falls into "fancy poo poo", but it's a huge upgrade on Hellemans without spending too much more.

Duke's is the king of supermarket mayo

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Oh, and while I transitioned from actively enjoying Kenji on Youtube to finding his bloviating pedantry insufferable, he remains correct about most things: the BLT is first and foremost a tomato sandwich. Once you’ve eaten them with the kind of tomatoes we’re talking about here, they’re a losing proposition otherwise.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

camoseven posted:

fact

My Cherokee Purples are starting to come in, and while I enjoy tomato sandwiches & BLTs with some of the other tomatoes from my garden, these are my favorites. I have literally dreamed about these sandwiches.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

camoseven posted:

Without being too expensive. Worth every penny.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

camoseven posted:

Kewpie is the best, but it probably doesn't qualify as 'supermarket mayo' because it can be hard to find. You need to get the imported version because the domestically produced stuff doesn't have MSG in it. Asian supermarkets around here have it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We keep Dukes, Hellman's and Kewpie around. they all have their uses. Hellmans is more balanced tasting IMO, Duke's is more acidic, and Kewpie is...Kewpie.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Veritek83 posted:

fact

My Cherokee Purples are starting to come in, and while I enjoy tomato sandwiches & BLTs with some of the other tomatoes from my garden, these are my favorites. I have literally dreamed about these sandwiches.

loving loved Cherokee purples the years I grew them, I gotta plant some more next season. Deliciously deep flavor.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
cherokee purple was the first tomato i ever had that i liked. always hated tomatos growing up, but i picked one up at a farmers market for some reason like 20 years ago and it blew my mind.

sucks that 99% of tomatos in the stores are dogshit.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hell yeah!

I said as much in my ICSA thread but I used to think I hated tomatoes and it just turned out I hated the bland supermarket crap.

I'm happy to see all the garden tomato enjoyers in here. Lots of ours are coming in now and I'll be making BLTs again this week. :chef:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Curry night

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Hell yeah!

I said as much in my ICSA thread but I used to think I hated tomatoes and it just turned out I hated the bland supermarket crap.

I'm happy to see all the garden tomato enjoyers in here. Lots of ours are coming in now and I'll be making BLTs again this week. :chef:

I'm getting tons of little cherry tomatoes in my garden right now; half of one of those, a slice of garden cucumber, a bit of hummus and a new basil leaf on a Ritz has been my mid-afternoon snack after weeding.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Toast, butter, tomato, salt, pepper.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Re: garden tomatoes, I have similar feelings about bush-ripened berries. A fat juicy Oregon blackberry, warm from the sun and plucked from the vine, is one of my favorite things in life and I have to restrain myself from eating so many that I poo poo my pants later on. Store-bought black/rasp/blueberries aren't worth any price to me, unless they're local, and even then they're just an acceptable approximation of the real thing.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Ya'll inspired me to visit the farmers market this morning after voting to get some good tomatoes for sandwiches. Just had my first one, and it was pretty incredible, I'm not going to lie.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ihop posted:

Re: garden tomatoes, I have similar feelings about bush-ripened berries. A fat juicy Oregon blackberry, warm from the sun and plucked from the vine, is one of my favorite things in life and I have to restrain myself from eating so many that I poo poo my pants later on. Store-bought black/rasp/blueberries aren't worth any price to me, unless they're local, and even then they're just an acceptable approximation of the real thing.

Why do you poo poo your pants if you eat blackberries?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It was hyperbole, but I will get some stomach upset if I eat too many berries. I don't think this is terribly uncommon.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ihop posted:

It was hyperbole, but I will get some stomach upset if I eat too many berries. I don't think this is terribly uncommon.

Large amounts of fruit commonly cause diarrhoea, it is known.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just ask Brian from Hatchet

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Professor Wayne posted:

Ya'll inspired me to visit the farmers market this morning after voting to get some good tomatoes for sandwiches. Just had my first one, and it was pretty incredible, I'm not going to lie.

And again today:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Random Hero posted:

Missed this. I actually think the cheaper a mayonnaise is, the better for the purposes of tomato sandwiches. If I'm going maximum effort, I'm using the good eggs, good mustard, and good oil that flavorwise, sort of horns in and goes, "hey, don't you recognize that I'm better than usual?" I think half the beauty of a tomato sandwich is how lazily it can be slapped together.

Duke's is not a brand we commonly on the west coast, so I will allow for "store bought".

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MOTHERFUCKER I NAILED THE TACO BELL BEEF

I was reading on their corporate website how their recipe is like 12% water or something ridiculous like that, and thought, well, hell, I already drain the excess fat...I wonder what happens if I deglaze it with water like Taco Bell does?

It's the exact consistency. You drain the liquid (I just pressed on the beef with a wooden spoon after it fully browned), and a half cup/100ml or so of water does the trick. I recommend doing this once or twice more after the initial deglaze as your spice and tomato paste (no poo poo, tomato paste.) blend mellows into the beef; it is HELLA MOIST this way.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You drain the fat and replace it with tap water? Why bother?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Pfft… real ones know the real secret is horse meat.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Chemmy posted:

You drain the fat and replace it with tap water? Why bother?

As I said above, I've been trying to replicate the texture of Taco Bell ground beef as a curiosity and self-challenge for a while now, and was reading their website to see if they posted any secrets. Turns out it's water weight:

https://www.tacobell.com/faq/our-products-what-is-taco-bells-seasoned-beef-made-of

If you DON'T drain most of the fat, it's...a little greasy. Way too greasy, even for Taco Bell. One COULD be very fancy and use Fiji, ( :v: ) but the "real" answer here is beef stock if you really want to knock yourself out. Knorr bullion powder works fine. The tap water deglazed the pan nicely, got the fond loose to a wooden spoon, and didn't impart any extra flavor for the basic recipe I was working with:

https://houseofyumm.com/best-ever-taco-meat/

If you do try adding moisture like this, be wary that it evaporates pretty quickly whether stock or water, so be prepared to stir and fold immediately. 1/2 cup/~100ml isn't very much, but as a last step it very much helps the spice and tomato mixture more evenly coat the meat. I used Kashmir chili powder and added a little more garlic and onion powder than the recipe called for. Next time I might add a bay leaf and some dried chilis, I feel like those are pretty safe deviations for the flavor bracket. I have to say chipotle sauce was an excellent addition because I love the smokey flavor. Achiote might do alright, too, (although maybe not with All of The Above) but it would work well with the bright red color of the tomato sauce and chili powder.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Isn’t “drain fat simmer in water with spices” what those taco meat flavor packets say to do?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

JGdmn posted:

Isn’t “drain fat simmer in water with spices” what those taco meat flavor packets say to do?

Yes, op discovered Old El Paso tacos

mystes
May 31, 2006

The El Paso Taco wisdom of the ancients

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

JGdmn posted:

I had to tell my gf this over and over, she used to put the spice on dry and just eat gritty ground beef. It clearly says to add a quarter cup of water.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm gonna have to try this Old El Paso thing out, sounds like I'd never have to think about my spice cabinet again

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

just get this:

I use it all the time, tastes like taco bell.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My wife is out of town so I had a rare opportunity to make a pizza with regular dough instead of gluten-free.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My wife is out of town so I had a rare opportunity to make a pizza with regular dough instead of gluten-free.

nice

That crust looks very thin and crispy, as god intended

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Taquitos, good hot weather food.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Impulse stop at the supermarket on the way home

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Way too much pancit bihon

Development
Jun 2, 2016

a coworker brought me back some cheese curds from wisconsin. naturally, we had to make poutine.

pre-toppings and sauce brune

after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Development posted:

a coworker brought me back some cheese curds from wisconsin. naturally, we had to make poutine.

pre-toppings and sauce brune

after

hell yes