Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nonathlon posted:

In contrast, Prime has stuck Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey on its front page, luring me in, and that is not a good film. To the point that while I'm watching it, I'm trying to explain why I don't enjoy it. It's a movie that's afraid you might start checking your phone, so it slams a new character or a plot twist onscreen every 5 minutes.

It's not a good movie at all. It's two totally fine movies stuck together. It should have been a Harley & Cassandra movie OR just a BOP movie with Huntress and Montoya. The fight scenes are poo poo, which is weird given they had the John Wick people work on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m enjoying the Harley Quinn show

Keep breathing was very by the numbers but the actor is hot and she did a good job even if the show was entirely predictable and full of lame tropes

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Locke recently showed up on HBO Max. It's a movie in which Tom Hardy spends the entire time in a car dealing with a buncha personal poo poo over the phone and it's fantastic. Sounds like a COVID movie, but it came out way before that.

Real good if you just wanna listen to Tom Hardy pronounce things.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Fartington Butts posted:

Locke recently showed up on HBO Max. It's a movie in which Tom Hardy spends the entire time in a car dealing with a buncha personal poo poo over the phone and it's fantastic. Sounds like a COVID movie, but it came out way before that.

Real good if you just wanna listen to Tom Hardy pronounce things.

HBO had to remove Collateral to make room for it so that they didn't surpass their dude being driven around in a car quota.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm a little disappointed that Riddler isn't swole anymore in Harley Quinn.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

TheMopeSquad posted:

I'm a little disappointed that Riddler isn't swole anymore in Harley Quinn.

Makes sense--he got a boyfriend, and he's not in a hamster wheel for 24 hours a day anymore.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's not a good movie at all. It's two totally fine movies stuck together. It should have been a Harley & Cassandra movie OR just a BOP movie with Huntress and Montoya. The fight scenes are poo poo, which is weird given they had the John Wick people work on them.

Right. Parts of it (e.g. MacGregor) belong in different and better movies where they might have room to breathe. And it feels like they didn't want Harley to actually kill anyone, so there's a huge amount of comedic knockouts.

Often I wonder what the idea for a particular movie is, the pitch or the outline. And often I don't think there was one, or just one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just fired up a movie on Hulu that contains a trigger warning at the beginning for having an “unlikable female protagonist”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really loved Birds of Prey. The loopy structure of it made sense as it’s a story told by, well, Harley. The characters were great as were the performances.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Bird Box of Prey

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really loved Birds of Prey. The loopy structure of it made sense as it’s a story told by, well, Harley. The characters were great as were the performances.

Yeah I thought it was fun enough

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I just fired up a movie on Hulu that contains a trigger warning at the beginning for having an “unlikable female protagonist”

Like Hulu put it there or the creator has it there as part of the movie?

Either way it almost sounds like part of a study of audience reactions, like showing them an episode of Breaking Bad and priming one audience with "Walt is doing this for his fam" and another with "Walt is doing this because he wants to" and seeing how it colors their opinion.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair she's VERY unlikable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jolo posted:

Either way it almost sounds like part of a study of audience reactions, like showing them an episode of Breaking Bad and priming one audience with "Walt is doing this for his fam" and another with "Walt is doing this because he wants to" and seeing how it colors their opinion.

It's a joke by the filmmakers, as a response to that being a complaint from test audiences

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jolo posted:

It appeared to be Hulu. It was the generic looking warning "this movie contains flashing lights and an unlikable female protagonist" and I was just like whut?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was it She-Devil?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

It appeared to be Hulu. It was the generic looking warning "this movie contains flashing lights and an unlikable female protagonist" and I was just like whut?

'sa joke

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/hulu-not-okay-unlikable-female-protagonist-content-warning-1235330476/

e: I guess less "haha" joke and more "intentional to provoke" joke, so ymmv

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 3, 2022

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Todd and Aaron are in that movie and Rocco and Shawn from Mega64 are credited as themselves so we still don't know who is Todd and who is Aaron.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

'sa joke

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/hulu-not-okay-unlikable-female-protagonist-content-warning-1235330476/

e: I guess less "haha" joke and more "intentional to provoke" joke, so ymmv

Part of me did think "this has to be a joke" but I dunno what is real anymore. Some content warnings get really stupid and it looked just like what Hulu normally uses. I guess they got me.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it more than most MCU and certainly more than the trash action movies Netflix has been putting out

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently even though Batgirl with Michael Keaton was finished filming, the movie has become the latest victim of the Discovery / Warner Brothers merger. It won't be released in any form.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-not-released-warner-bros-hbo-max-1235331897/

According to reddit, other victims of the merger include:

CNN+ and all of its programming just a matter of days after its launch.

Raised by Wolves (HBO Max)

Close Enough (HBO Max)

Gordita Chronicles (HBO Max)

Made for Love (HBO Max)

Chad (TBS, hours before its season premiere was set to air.)

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS)

Three Busy Debras (Adult Swim)

Joe Pera Talks with You (Adult Swim)

Naomi (The CW)

Legends of Tomorrow (The CW)

Snowpiercer (TNT, during production on their fourth season.)

The Wonder Twins film, shortly after the leads were announced.

Scoob!: Holiday Haunt, which was reportedly all but finished.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Girl, Interrupted on Netflix (hell of a stacked cast in retrospect) and it made me realize holy poo poo Winona Ryder plays a highschool senior in 1989 and then 1999 and pretty much pulls it off. Talk about blessed when it comes to aging.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Could give a gently caress about most of that poo poo but anything that killed Joe Pera, Chad, and 3 Busy Brendas all at once is a force of pure evil

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Chad thing I just don't get. What is the rationale for pulling something that late in the game? They've already made it, why not just air it at that point? Does someone there just really really hate the show or something?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't fit with what they want to be doing or something, the new head is axing any project that looks off to him. Gordita Chronicles, which was getting good ratings and reviews and all, was canned simply because it's live action family entertainment and they don't want to do that anymore.

One rumor with Batgirl is they want everything DC to be Big Blockbuster Stuff, and a moderately expensive direct-to-streaming movie doesn't fit that model.

To a certain extent this kind of dickwaving happens every time a studio (or really any big company) changes heads but it seems especially ferocious here.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I meant pulling it a few hours before it was scheduled to air. The only other thing I can think of like that was that “My Neighbor Adolf” show or whatever it was called, which was pulled off air for very obvious reasons.

I know the answer is still short-sighted business decisions in pursuit of short-term profit but it just seems bizarrely egregious in Discovery’s case.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah what they gently caress are they thinking?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

I meant pulling it a few hours before it was scheduled to air. The only other thing I can think of like that was that “My Neighbor Adolf” show or whatever it was called, which was pulled off air for very obvious reasons.

I know the answer is still short-sighted business decisions in pursuit of short-term profit but it just seems bizarrely egregious in Discovery’s case.
I guess I could definitely see Chad having an episode where he commits genocide.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

For a sec I thought SNL had made a show about the Pete Davidson SNL character Chad which sounds like a really dumb show idea.

Full disclosure: A Night at the Roxbury came out when I was young enough that I still consider it a worthwhile watch and a good time.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It doesn't fit with what they want to be doing or something, the new head is axing any project that looks off to him. Gordita Chronicles, which was getting good ratings and reviews and all, was canned simply because it's live action family entertainment and they don't want to do that anymore.

One rumor with Batgirl is they want everything DC to be Big Blockbuster Stuff, and a moderately expensive direct-to-streaming movie doesn't fit that model.

To a certain extent this kind of dickwaving happens every time a studio (or really any big company) changes heads but it seems especially ferocious here.

That rumoured explanation doesn’t really make sense to me. It’s a finished 90m dollar movie. Unless it’s insanely offensive somehow, anything would be better than shelving it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If it's all filmed and edited and everything I don't see why you'd pull it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Stumbled into The White Lotus and was pleasantly surprised. Saw it got a bunch of Emmy nominations and had no idea it existed for how acclaimed it was. The Resort has been solid too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Starks posted:

That rumoured explanation doesn’t really make sense to me. It’s a finished 90m dollar movie. Unless it’s insanely offensive somehow, anything would be better than shelving it.

Its not finished, there was still a chunk of post to do on it.

There's a special tax credit a studio can take for a production that's filmed but never aired for whatever reason. Someone probably did some analysis and decided that they'd make more money from the credit then they would spending the money on finishing it and airing it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Stumbled into The White Lotus and was pleasantly surprised. Saw it got a bunch of Emmy nominations and had no idea it existed for how acclaimed it was. The Resort has been solid too.
Enlightened by the same creator as The White Lotus (Mike White) is a pretty solid underrated gem that I think is worth a look if you haven't heard of that either. Laura Dern stars in it and also co-created it, and it gives some similar absurd looks at wealthy white people specifically in terms of American corporations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, I've heard this is basically (one of reasons) why you hear about an upcoming movie and it just never happens. The guy that wanted to do it is gone and the new guy doesn't give a gently caress about the previous guy's pet projects.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

speaking of, everyone should watch The Player (on hbomax right now I believe)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If it's all filmed and edited and everything I don't see why you'd pull it

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you don't have what it takes to be a studio executive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I remember listening to the Pivot podcast around the time of the merger (one of the hosts Scott Galloway had a show on CNN+). There was definitely a mix of "needing to get our debt down" and "straight vindictive politics."

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Could give a gently caress about most of that poo poo but anything that killed Joe Pera, Chad, and 3 Busy Brendas all at once is a force of pure evil

OTOH it killed multiple superhero things and that dreadful snowpiercer show so is it really that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There's a lot of fishy stuff going on at HBOMax

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1554844771172188164

How much money could it cost to have a movie file in your servers? How much streaming residuals were they paying out to Cole Sprouse?