Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Stop being annoyed at concrete things you directly feel and experience, and start getting mad about abstract concepts and scenarios you imagine inside your frontal lobe instead. Like a normal person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

spincube posted:

Stop being annoyed at concrete things you directly feel and experience, and start getting mad about abstract concepts and scenarios you imagine inside your frontal lobe instead. Like a normal person

There's getting annoyed and then there's writing a long and angry rant and maybe the minor inconvenience of smartphone technology not working well when your hands are wet are not worth the latter is what I'm saying

Anyway can anyone recommend a good and super thin Pixel 6 case? I've bought a couple of cases but they're just thick enough where it makes it feel a lot less comfortable to use than if it's naked. I don't need for it to be too well protected

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

There's getting annoyed and then there's writing a long and angry rant and maybe the minor inconvenience of smartphone technology not working well when your hands are wet are not worth the latter is what I'm saying

Anyway can anyone recommend a good and super thin Pixel 6 case? I've bought a couple of cases but they're just thick enough where it makes it feel a lot less comfortable to use than if it's naked. I don't need for it to be too well protected

I like my Spigen Liquid Air case - it's very thin and nicely grippy.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

The Grumbles posted:

I went with this style of case for the last several phones for a very minimal feel. It's basically a super thin hard shell with a matte coating. Can't vouch for this brand specifically but they're usually very inexpensive in general. I've gone with a dbrand skin on the back for a while now which is even more slim. Basically just enough protection to not be worried about scratches from setting the phone down wherever.

https://www.amazon.com/Arkour-Compatible-Ultra-Thin-Lightweight-Protective/dp/B09J58HFNV

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Wow, WTF Google, Nokia or whoever produced this bug:
I was messing around with Tasker and intercepting calls and noticed some weird behavior when I returned everything to normal. The phone would set itself to vibrate only every time a call came in, going back a few seconds later (but still not ringing). Mind you, this behavior was completely new.
Some debugging later (Tasker fully disabled at this point), I notice the ringer volume going up step by step in the settings UI every few seconds whenever there is a pending call. So I guess that someone solved the "rising ringer" thing very crudely. Well, setting is turned off in the sound menu, but lets toggle it, maybe my messing around with Tasker somehow set a state wrong in the background. Nope, no such luck. There is no ringer sound even when the ringer volume level progresses further up.
Queue me messing around for a while, turns out the following setting, which I never interacted with (and with no rising ringer before this) is at fault:
Google Phone App > Settings > Calling accounts > SIP settings > "Ascending Volume for incoming Calls".
Just WTF. That setting only applies to SIP calls as far as I can tell. What is this bullshit?

Can't believe this crap.

E:
Ok WTF Google, I tried adding a phone number to a contact that happens to overlap with the local version of an emergency number and Google tells me "Emergency Number Cannot Be Saved" and refuses to let me save the number into a contact. What kind of user hostile bullshit is this. If I want to save an emergency number who are they to deny me that?!

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 2, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Day 1 using the P6A, after work I have 2 hours, 35 minutes of screen on time starting at 6am coming off the charger and I have 70% battery at 430pm.

It never got hot just doing normal tasks, like streaming music, social apps, email, etc. Didn't use the camera and I don't play mobile games outside of chess, though. It may have gotten a very slightly warm on my lunch break when I kept it on for like 30 mins straight, but that's acceptable imo. Even my iPhone will be noticeably warm after extended use or stress.

I have turned off a bunch of stuff that other people might use, however. I did turn off 5g since I work at home all day on wifi anyway, and when I leave the house I'll send up driving through 5g and LTE areas going anywhere at all, so it's not worth it to me to keep it on if it's not being used and potentially might just be a net negative on the experience. I never use AOD or Hey, Google voice prompts so I keep those off, so the phone's not always wasting cycles listening for a command.

I don't know. Phone seems... Fine? I'll use it daily for a couple months and probably bounce back to my iPhone 13 Pro Max when the honeymoon phase is over, but this phone plus the Buds for $150 after trade-in remains a great deal for a toy/back up phone, and probably would solely serve non-enthusiasts just fine as it is now.

e: I will say, after going outside in the August sun to take some baby pictures, this phone did heat the gently caress up, though it never threw an overheating message, so.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 2, 2022

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Zenfone 9 looks intriguing but I'd like to see some more reviews and some user experiences first...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fair, but if anyone in this thread ever complains about not having small phones in this thread again and they didn't decide to buy the Zenfone 9, then they are required to use a flip phone for the rest of their natural life.

This is THE device that people have been clamoring for. If it doesn't sell, the small phone is officially the brown station wagon of IYG and no one gets to complain again.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I would agree except that Asus track record regarding updates is abysmal. If they were just to match Samsung guarantee on updates, I would buy it full price.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

lostleaf posted:

I would agree except that Asus track record regarding updates is abysmal. If they were just to match Samsung guarantee on updates, I would buy it full price.

That's largely how I feel about Motorola - I like the hardware, but the support is terrible.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Long shot but anyone happen to know of a thin rubbery case for my old LG G7 ThinQ? I just want a grippy skin to make it easier to hold and not a thick rear end protective box.

E: Well I guess I figured out the magic search terms for this are "silicone" or "TPU", but If anyone has any particular suggestions I'm still curious.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 3, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

bull3964 posted:

Fair, but if anyone in this thread ever complains about not having small phones in this thread again and they didn't decide to buy the Zenfone 9, then they are required to use a flip phone for the rest of their natural life.

This is THE device that people have been clamoring for. If it doesn't sell, the small phone is officially the brown station wagon of IYG and no one gets to complain again.

The problem with all Android phones is having to find a manufacturer that will support the device's software for a reasonable amount of time. Even the best hardware is useless if I never get any security updates.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
My screen turns green now if I'm in low light and also sometimes random flicker but only a minor amount. I only noticed it recently, seems dependant on light.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/pixel-6-pro-screen-flickering-green-tint/

Found an article on it but just wondering how many other people have it?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does the 6a have a notification light?

Also, I plugged in an old Moto G6 and the LED is blinking and the phone doesn't seem to be charging. Hardware issue?

It's been legit about a decade since the last time Google released a phone with a notification light.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Always on display sorta removed the need for notification light and honestly, I prefer it. A blinking led is way too distracting

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

bull3964 posted:

actually I'll keep complaining until Google makes a pixel mini

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stevie Lee posted:

actually I'll keep complaining until Google makes a pixel mini

This

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

lostleaf posted:

Dang, 2 years of updates for an $800 phone is pretty bad.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How do I dispose of a phone battery with punctured plastic wrap that (so far) hasn't caught on fire

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do I dispose of a phone battery with punctured plastic wrap that (so far) hasn't caught on fire

Maybe start by throwing it into a bucket of sand or dirt or something.

Really gonna depend on your area’s resources. Try falling a local repair shop like ubreakifixit and seeing if they accept them for disposal. My town has an electronics-specific recycling center.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have a pixel 1 as a backup / drone phone. The other day I turned it on and it was at 1% and died. No biggie, charged it over night, but now it appears to be bricked as hell. Any chance of getting that going w/o a new battery? It doesn't react to power button at all. Plugging it in, the screen does not turn on. I feel that its SOL but.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

deong posted:

I have a pixel 1 as a backup / drone phone. The other day I turned it on and it was at 1% and died. No biggie, charged it over night, but now it appears to be bricked as hell. Any chance of getting that going w/o a new battery? It doesn't react to power button at all. Plugging it in, the screen does not turn on. I feel that its SOL but.

It might be dead, but when a phone's battery gets really really low, sometimes you just have to charge it for a very long time before it starts taking a charge. Also hold the power button on for a very long time as well.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
When using Samsung Pay, Paypal purchases I make with a credit card that's linked to the app show up in the app/generate notifications. Is there any way to set this in Google Pay, because it's not doing that by default.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I know there's a Wacom thread in CC, but curious on people that use pens with their android device.

Any advice on good pens? I'm using a pixel 6 pro.
I am considering one for drawing on the train since I do a lot of travelling.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

the_lion posted:

I know there's a Wacom thread in CC, but curious on people that use pens with their android device.

Any advice on good pens? I'm using a pixel 6 pro.
I am considering one for drawing on the train since I do a lot of travelling.

Phone needs to support wacom to work with pens. Only Samsung Galaxy Note/S22 ultra/Fold 3 support that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

What kind of phone?

Check out dontkillmyapp.com for more info and instructions how to deal with over aggressive battery saving measures.

Ha. I forgot to do this before yesterday's bike ride and got annoyed (again). This morning, I got a pop-up from my podcast app about turning off battery saving modes in Android that is the same thing as dontkillmyapp wrote.

https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/playback-pausing-randomly-or-when-screen-is-locked/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know how to allow a website to use location permissions in Chrome? Under the lock icon's permissions menu, only camera is listed, but the site (uploading photos for an auto claim) won't work without being granted location access.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can get a Charcoal or Sage Pixel 6a from Amazon for $399 right now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Probably a limited use case, but one thing I find nice about the Pixel Buds Pro: Active Noise Control mode is set based on which earbuds you are using at the time, and they remember how you last set them

So, for instance, you can have Active Noise Canceling automatically switch on when you put in both earbuds, Transparent for having just the Left one in, and Off for having just the right one in.

I mostly listen to hours and hours of podcasts, so I'm usually just wearing one to extend listening time, and have each individual bud set to Transparent, and the pair to ANC.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got this pop up this morning.

My prepaid plan renewed last night. Data and texting are fine. It's too early for me to try a phone call. I can't swipe the message away. It is still there after a reboot.

:shrug:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Not content to run the public beta of iOS16 on my iPhone, I am also now potentially ruining my P6A with the Android 13 Beta 4.

Interested to see what this does to the fingerprint reader and thermals, if anything.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Not the iPhone thread I know but Android goons are best goons. I got my wife this Anker USB C fast charger for her iPhone 13:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GX2YD8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've bought two of them now and for some reason they only intermittently actually work. I've changed the cables and the same problem persists. All other regular chargers work with the phone without issue. Have Anker been dropping the ball or am I just really unfortunate?

In either case, can anyone recommend a good quality fast charger available in the UK? I don't mind if it the plug end is USB A or C, I'd just like it to reliably fast charge.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I have two North American Anker PIQ 3.0 compact USB C chargers, and they work normally :shrug:

Have you tried a different device? I don’t have problems with my iPhone or Pixel or DualSense controllers and my wife uses one for her S22U and iPad just fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have more things Anker than I care to admit and aside from a few PPS handshake issues with a very small subset of products, I haven't had any real problems with any of it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't think I've never had any issues with Anker products. Batteries, chargers, cables, speakers, earbuds. I'm a big fan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just picked up their new 737 24k battery. 140w input and output (28v@5a). Supports PPS including Samsung 45w fast charging and even has a display that shows watt output for each connection in real time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've tried different iPhones and they are similarly affected. gently caress is wrong with my luck? I'm tempted to try one last time since my wife loving adores fast charging. Suppose I can just send it back again if it's still fooked.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Took a while to install, but I got the latest beta of Android 13 up on my P6A. The only difference I can tell at first glance is more Material You options and opening the app tray feels faster. The fingerprint sensor seems to be behaving exactly the same as before, so, fine but definitely imperfectly. I wonder if the 6 and 6 Pro folks are just getting the P6A experience now on the beta where it functions better.

Haven't used the phone enough to see if the thermals are better, but I've only seen a few people claim that as a thing on the larger handsets. As a test, on Android 12, the other night I recorded 10 minutes of 4k video sitting in my 73 F living room and never got an overheating warning, but the phone did get warm. I did the same thing with my iPhone 13PM and it also got close to the same level of heat by minute 10, though, so :shrug:

Maybe it's just a materials thing, but even though my P6A hasn't literally overheated yet and had to shut off or close any apps, it felt uncomfortably warm after about 15 minutes taking pictures outside. I wonder if Android 13 will throttle the CPU more aggressively to account for heat or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I never noticed any "improvement" of my P6P fingerprint sensor past the first update. By that I mean once that update hit, it worked just as well or better than any other in screen fingerprint sensor I've used (about equal to the OP7/8/9Pro and better than the 6T and all Galaxy devices.)

So, yeah, I've taken all the "it cured everything even my canker sores" reports with a grain of salt.

While we're talking Pixel "issues" I had a giggle yesterday. I decided on a whim to switch to the S22 I had in my arsenal just to live the small phone life for a few days. Right off the bat, connectivity issues that never existed on the Pixel 6 Pro. I had to reboot the phone after connecting to wireless android auto as it refused to switch over to mobile data.

Of course, that's not even something the Pixel 6 Pro has to do before I pull out of the driveway as it's perfectly capable of staying connected to my house at 2.5ghz while connected to Android Auto at 5ghz until I drive out of range and it has to switch over to mobile data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The p6a fingerprint reader is garbage poo poo compared to the gloriously fast p5a. Otherwise, it's a nice phone and it hasn't run hot since setup and 2 small OTA updates (which took a shockingly long time to install despite being small in size - I think the last one was 1.75 MB and took over an hour to install)