Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think we've been over this itt, where people can't figure out how to write a rubric that's anything other than "is literally this correct answer," like they've never thought about how to grade an essay/paper before smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

carry on then posted:

it will absolutely turn into this in the hands of most programmers who conduct interviews

see this is why you write a rubric, if they say "didnt like elden ring" under the "can have a conversation" line maybe we're gonna throw that out and have them do some more interview training

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Achmed Jones posted:

see this is why you write a rubric, if they say "didnt like elden ring" under the "can have a conversation" maybe we're gonna throw that out and have you do some more interview training

i'm coming at this from the perspective of an interviewee, where i can't assume that these questions are being evaluated properly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's basically: are you gonna make appropriate conversations in the office or are to gonna talk about your piss fetish in an interview. it's a pretty easy filter posting pals. just say you read the news in your industry (scroll yospos) and like to chat with your colleagues (poo poo post)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

excited to mention i like weightlifting in answer to the question and see which of these i get:

a) rolled eyes and a rendition of that "every weight lifted represents a book not read" tweet
b) you don't look like you lift
c) a 2-hour seminar on the glory of crossfit

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

it's basically: are you gonna make appropriate conversations in the office or are to gonna talk about your piss fetish in an interview. it's a pretty easy filter posting pals. just say you read the news in your industry (scroll yospos) and like to chat with your colleagues (poo poo post)

exactly this

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

even bitching about elden ring is a kind of conversation. It's better than saying ' i just work and sleep and eat' like a code robot

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

carry on then posted:

excited to mention i like weightlifting in answer to the question and see which of these i get:

a) rolled eyes and a rendition of that "every weight lifted represents a book not read" tweet

i don't think you have to worry about this kind of interview. you clearly work at a movie theatre giving how hard you're projecting

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

carry on then posted:

D) cool I like to exercise too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PokeJoe posted:

It's better than saying ' i just work and sleep and eat' like a code robot

most of hackernews would disagree lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't think you have to worry about this kind of interview. you clearly work at a movie theatre giving how hard you're projecting

:rackem:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Achmed Jones posted:

projecting what lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

having hobbies and having hobbies that the interviewer thinks are positive traits are very different things sometimes, which is what this discussion is about

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

crossfit is a cult tho, that's undeniable

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

silvergoose posted:

having hobbies and having hobbies that the interviewer thinks are positive traits are very different things sometimes, which is what this discussion is about

yeah this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

You can always smile and nod, if you really want the job.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hobbies aren't an LP, ergo, they have no interview value.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

do you nerds seriously have zero hobbies

zero non embarrassing hobbies

for example, posting on dead Web 1.0 comedy forums

sports aren’t even necessarily safe in tech.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You can always smile and nod, if you really want the job.

once i've received one of those options, the interviewer has already mentally put my resume in the trash because "they aren't sufficiently Like Me"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
another thing computer touchers always need reminding on: you are allowed to lie. just lie. interviews have the same relation to the actual truth as the first 5 minutes of a first date or the first 5 minutes at a used car dealership

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

people bring up their hobbies in interviews unprompted all the time and even though 90% of them sound lame as poo poo to me i still have to hire *somebody*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No Wave posted:

Hobbies aren't an LP, ergo, they have no interview value.

“learn and be curious” maybe

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

I'm not trying to say anything about conversational fluff questions is difficult for the interviewee. But they invite bias and are pointless when much more useful questions like "tell me about a time you disagreed with a coworker" exist

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

even if you have turbo-nerd hobbies no one cares. if you paint big titty anime statues for fun just say you like to paint. it's not that loving hard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

another thing computer touchers always need reminding on: you are allowed to lie. just lie. interviews have the same relation to the actual truth as the first 5 minutes of a first date or the first 5 minutes at a used car dealership

I’m not sure the sales like “lying but not lying” is a good approach to a first date

I mean, if you want more dates anyway

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

personally the question is generally a win for me in interviews -- i talk about working/hacking on pinball machines and use that to tie back into troubleshooting/engineering. that said, i have plenty of friends and family who have completely dropped all hobbies beyond what their kids do, and occasionally poo poo posting on the internet.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol that ppl can't imagine _not_ rejecting applicants based on their hobbies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

supabump posted:

I'm not trying to say anything about conversational fluff questions is difficult for the interviewee. But they invite bias and are pointless when much more useful questions like "tell me about a time you disagreed with a coworker" exist

Why not talk/lie about a hobby, and then tie it to a story about how you learned something or how it helped you do something better at work?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

lol that ppl can't imagine _not_ rejecting applicants based on their hobbies

if you aren't using it as a filter, why use it at all? there are plenty of work related questions you can ask that provide an indicator of whether the person is capable of conversation, so why ask a question that puts them in the position of potentially having to disclose information you don't want to know as a means of not sounding like a total loser?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

There are lies you can get away with easily and ones you can't. A lie that always works is a time you came up with a solution to a difficult problem where you claim a co-worker's idea was your own. It's basically airtight as long as you understand what the solution was. Other lies are harder though if the interviewer starts asking for more and more details.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

this is one of those moments where I wonder if I'm just dumb because I just answer the hobby question honestly and I don't think I've ever worried or thought about it all that much

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I collect used condoms I find in the gutter. When I get enough of them I staple them all to a big canvas and hang it up on my wall somewhere. I'm gonna bring one of my pieces of art to the office my first day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

supabump posted:

yeah you're generally correct here - that's why you gotta rubric up. i think small talk type stuff can give valuable signal and more importantly helps candidates ease into talking to you and leads to better outcomes (anecdotally based on my experience), but you have to specifically guard against the bias it can introduce if you want to use it. "gently caress it, i only care about technical stuff" is one very good guard method - but you gotta have some weirdo/rear end in a top hat filter somewhere in the process. if that's in somebody else's interview and not your technical one then 💯

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Why not talk/lie about a hobby, and then tie it to a story about how you learned something or how it helped you do something better at work?

the question isn't "how do I handle being asked what my hobbies are waaah"

it's "this is a weird systemic thing that isn't particularly useful and may be detrimental to getting the best talent. maybe we should stop asking it"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

if you aren't using it as a filter, why use it at all? there are plenty of work related questions you can ask that provide an indicator of whether the person is capable of conversation, so why ask a question that puts them in the position of potentially having to disclose information you don't want to know as a means of not sounding like a total loser?

i already wrote the signal received and part of a rubric entry for it above

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sleng Teng posted:

this is one of those moments where I wonder if I'm just dumb because I just answer the hobby question honestly and I don't think I've ever worried or thought about it all that much

i feel like there are two conversations going on.

as an interviewee, there is basically no downside to answering the question honestly

as an interviewer, there are pitfalls around the question that quickly reveal protected information, so the question should be avoided

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

As an interviewee you should definitely be ready for a hobby question though obviously, this whole discussion is proof of that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You gotta spend 40 hours a week with your coworkers being able to hold a half assed conversation about an abritrary not work topic can easily be considered part of many jobs. What if you need to be personable to customers and you can't even come up some dumbass acecdote for an interview you had notice to plan for? You're a poo poo candidate!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

No Wave posted:

There are lies you can get away with easily and ones you can't. A lie that always works is a time you came up with a solution to a difficult problem where you claim a co-worker's idea was your own. It's basically airtight as long as you understand what the solution was. Other lies are harder though if the interviewer starts asking for more and more details.

yeah, prepped lie is better than off the cuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

supabump posted:

the question isn't "how do I handle being asked what my hobbies are waaah"

it's "this is a weird systemic thing that isn't particularly useful and may be detrimental to getting the best talent. maybe we should stop asking it"

Don't you think figuring out someone's personality might be good for a job? You work with people, wouldn't you want someone who isn't a weirdo working with you?

I am still not seeing what the issue is.