Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmao hell yeah

also the editing to add the little starbursts whenever a new kid is added? superb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Smythe posted:

man that song takes me back. kinda reminds me of pete and pete for some reason

You know what would really remind you of Pete and Pete?

https://youtu.be/wTcpqzQbRTI

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
pnas dot org

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mastershakeman, looking good friendo.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
This summer I think I got a glimpse of what suburban life is like in the US. My wife had to work close to Billund in Denmark and we had to bring our car. Our oldest son loves Lego so we decided to stay close to Lego-land in Billund. We got a good deal on a house/cabin with parking.

The blue circle is the approximate area we stayed in. Black circles are places with grocery stores.

The train route is marked in yellow and the red circles are stations. I think it stopped every 30 minutes at each station. This was the "train".

I have to apologize for every time I've made fun of Americans treating a 10-minute walk as some sort of ordeal. Walking in a place clearly designed for cars is an awful experience. It took about 15 minutes to walk to the nearest store but I only did it once. Back home in Stockholm I'll occasionally walk 40 minutes or so to a certain shop because it's a pleasant experience. Walking in this place was soul crushing. I ended up driving even if I was just picking up a carton of milk.

It really illustrated to me how the idea that Americans love to drive is bullshit. I loving hate driving but I did it anyway when there was no other option.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If the road that tram takes is closed to all traffic other than the tram so you can walk on it and only have to watch out for a couple trams an hour that's still insanely better than the US despite the distance between everything

In most places in the US all the roads would have like 6 lanes of traffic and you would have to cross five of them to get to the supermarket

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Aug 2, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've never seen anything like that weird grid of wavy streets in the US. Here it's all dead ends and cul-de-sacs deliberately designed to prevent any kind of thru-traffic

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

I've never seen anything like that weird grid of wavy streets in the US. Here it's all dead ends and cul-de-sacs deliberately designed to prevent any kind of thru-traffic

They're for breaking up sight lines in suburbia because infinite identical houses as far as your eyes can see fucks with your brain.

They're in the US, mostly the east I guess?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're for breaking up sight lines in suburbia because infinite identical houses as far as your eyes can see fucks with your brain.

They're in the US, mostly the east I guess?

it's funny because bumbling into a development on my bike and getting lost in a maze of streets also fucks with my brain

and it doesn't even make it much less unnerving! see this exurb of montral

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The quebecois are a race of freeloading contractors and it comes as little surprise they can't build their own nests after having seen how they piss away public money

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GazEtc/status/1554458024965804034

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I will simply bring my own bollard everywhere I go.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
maybe they should design the self-driving vehicles to better detect where pedestrians are so they can stop when appropriate

the technology is absolutely possible, it would just cost more money

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
lol americans are largely fine with letting tech and car companies use public roads to beta test new technologies that could kill innocent people if a programmer made an error

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/status/1554498056598573058

Apr 7, 2003

Homocow posted:

lol americans are largely fine with letting tech and car companies use public roads to beta test new technologies that could kill innocent people if a programmer made an error

I saw people on the local subreddit unironically saying that deaths were worth it if we had self driving cars everywhere by 2020.

None of those people post anymor.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

hopefully because they were in self-driving teslas

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

hopefully because they were in on the street in front of self-driving teslas

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

you butchered the joke rear end in a top hat

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

I saw people on the local subreddit unironically saying that deaths were worth it if we had self driving cars everywhere by 2020.

they were posting in SA too

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Hedenius posted:

It really illustrated to me how the idea that Americans love to drive is bullshit. I loving hate driving but I did it anyway when there was no other option.

i moved to the suburbs because the cost of housing in the only walkable/bikeable/decently covered by public transit areas in my country is insane. had to get a car and i hate driving to do basic things so loving much.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing some googling, haven't been able to find anything: does anyone know what happened to that teenager in Texas who ran over the cyclists while rolling coal on them after he got charged last November?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Homocow posted:

maybe they should design the self-driving vehicles to better detect where pedestrians are so they can stop when appropriate

Maybe the self-driving car should be reserved for bringing enemies of the state to the guillotine and absolutely nothing else.
Barring that it shouldn't exist at all.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

car lovers of the future: pedestrian was looking at their phone not where they were going, verdict, good shoot

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

I've been doing some googling, haven't been able to find anything: does anyone know what happened to that teenager in Texas who ran over the cyclists while rolling coal on them after he got charged last November?

no updates afaict but you'll probably find them here https://www.bikelaw.com/cambio-corsa/ when they happen. also the associated news hits i found when looking for this were just depressing

https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-boycott-after-owner-filmed-rolling-coal-292193

quote:

Cyclists in north Texas have called for the boycott of a custom car shop after a truck driver, alleged to be the owner of the business, filmed himself blowing black smoke from his exhaust, known as rolling coal, at a bike rider.

An evasive Soucie initially told local newspaper the Star-Telegram(link is external) that he was vaguely familiar with the video but didnt know all the details. When asked if he was the driver in the video, the business owner refused to comment.

However, Soucie, who posted a photo on Facebook after the incident with the caption I used to want to be a cyclist but then I remembered I wasnt gay, later admitted that he was the driver behind the wheel

He subsequently posted a video claiming that the response to the incident, which has included death threats, was an attempt to cancel me, tarnish the shop and attack me, unprovoked.

Its not like I hit the guy or swerved toward the guy, he said. I got over a lane because he was taking up a lane. Thats what cyclists do. But I understand that what I did was not cool and it was kind of a bad reflection of my company.

He said that the attempt to boycott his business, and the negative feedback he has since received, is an example of cancel culture, and thats really not cool, either.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

no updates afaict but you'll probably find them here https://www.bikelaw.com/cambio-corsa/ when they happen. also the associated news hits i found when looking for this were just depressing

https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-boycott-after-owner-filmed-rolling-coal-292193

It's loving Texas, I don't know why you'd try to start a boycott of this piece of poo poo, it's just going to get him more business.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mameluke posted:

The quebecois are a race of freeloading contractors and it comes as little surprise they can't build their own nests after having seen how they piss away public money

All true.

Yet still better than anglos

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I wanna know what happened to the ones that threw open the doors in a whataburger and blew smoke in

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wanna know what happened to the ones that threw open the doors in a whataburger and blew smoke in

ok this is pretty funny i have to say :mmmhmm:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

whataburger should be treated with respect

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Homocow posted:

also, and honestly imo even more importantly, it would put pedestrians on equal footing with drivers. the car-brained ideal is that pedestrians have to stay out of your way so you can get where you want asap, and tech that detects pedestrians and stops for them as if they have an equal right to public space clearly isn't going to appeal to the car-brained designers of this poo poo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hedenius posted:

This summer I think I got a glimpse of what suburban life is like in the US. My wife had to work close to Billund in Denmark and we had to bring our car. Our oldest son loves Lego so we decided to stay close to Lego-land in Billund. We got a good deal on a house/cabin with parking.

The blue circle is the approximate area we stayed in. Black circles are places with grocery stores.

The train route is marked in yellow and the red circles are stations. I think it stopped every 30 minutes at each station. This was the "train".

I have to apologize for every time I've made fun of Americans treating a 10-minute walk as some sort of ordeal. Walking in a place clearly designed for cars is an awful experience. It took about 15 minutes to walk to the nearest store but I only did it once. Back home in Stockholm I'll occasionally walk 40 minutes or so to a certain shop because it's a pleasant experience. Walking in this place was soul crushing. I ended up driving even if I was just picking up a carton of milk.

Now multiply this x1000 and you'll really understand

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Xaris posted:

you butchered the joke rear end in a top hat

I like that headline. it was certainly his first fatal crash

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Fitzy Fitz posted:

christ

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
And that's 20-25 miles away from downtown Atlanta. I drove across that metro area once on 95 and that was enough to depress the hell out of me.

Apr 7, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

And that's 20-25 miles away from downtown Atlanta. I drove across that metro area once on 95 and that was enough to depress the hell out of me.

Suburban north Atlanta seems damned and determined to keep with 70s-90s planning trends no matter what it costs. The Cobb County Braves complex sucks poo poo.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can barely stand to visit Atlanta. Every time something fun comes up that I want to do there, I have to weigh it vs driving in that traffic. I don't know how people can stand to live there.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
er I meant 75, the one with the 23 lane wide section or whatever.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That is horrific. Here's my suburb in Melbourne, basically no dead ends or unwalkable streets.

Got two tram lines and a six track train station within 200 feet of my place. Having a car is pointless.

Apr 7, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Got two tram lines and a six track train station within 200 feet of my place. Having a car is pointless.

We had tram lines on nearly every loving street here and a fleet of over 650 tram cars for a population of 1.6m in 1970. It was all thrown away in the late sixties / early seventies in the service of the automobile and I'm still livid about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

That is horrific. Here's my suburb in Melbourne, basically no dead ends or unwalkable streets.

How do you keep homeless people from walking into your neighborhood and doing drugs at you?