Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

EmbryoSteve posted:

I have 2k piety now but it really is like 4k piety to reform with 100% fervor. I'm trying to get this poo poo done and form the empire of Russia before this guy dies. tips?
If you’ve got the prestige, tradition slot, and time, you could become Linguists. 500 piety per learn language scheme trivializes piety farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

EmbryoSteve posted:

So I started an ironman game as the duke of Minsk in 867 with the goal of reforming the Slavic religion and then seeing what happens. I have formed a now very expansive White Rus and have 3 holy sites but can't reform because it costs loving 4k religious points. I've read that this is due to its 100% fervor. but I literally have like 45 counties in the kingdom and the size penalty of the religion is -71% but fervor is still at 100!

Holy wars are not an option for me apparently so how do I get the fervor down? I am in probably the last decade of my ruler's life (he's 55 now but temperate and hale) and he couldnt stop loving and his wife wouldnt stop getting pregnant even into her 40s so he has like 4 sons which will be a hassle to manage after he dies with confederate partition.

I have 2k piety now but it really is like 4k piety to reform with 100% fervor. I'm trying to get this poo poo done and form the empire of Russia before this guy dies. tips?

There's a perk in the rightmost learning tree that reduces reform costs by 50%, do you have that?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Slam the Pilgrimage button on cooldown, and spend for the longest pilgrimage you can afford. You get some big piety chunks.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

EmbryoSteve posted:

So I started an ironman game as the duke of Minsk in 867 with the goal of reforming the Slavic religion and then seeing what happens. I have formed a now very expansive White Rus and have 3 holy sites but can't reform because it costs loving 4k religious points. I've read that this is due to its 100% fervor. but I literally have like 45 counties in the kingdom and the size penalty of the religion is -71% but fervor is still at 100!

Holy wars are not an option for me apparently so how do I get the fervor down? I am in probably the last decade of my ruler's life (he's 55 now but temperate and hale) and he couldnt stop loving and his wife wouldnt stop getting pregnant even into her 40s so he has like 4 sons which will be a hassle to manage after he dies with confederate partition.

Do you already have the learning tree perk that cuts reformation cost in half? If you already have it and 4k is the adjusted cost, then make sure you're feasting on every cooldown, as a slav you should have ritual celebrations which means feasts generate piety, and you shouldn't ever get the "nobody attended" event

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Yeah get the lifestyle perk, and pilgrimage.

Also go raid non-coreligionists and fight battles against them, you'll get piety from battles.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I have a real basic question, what controls if a woman will get claims? I bethrothed my son to a near by dukes daughter so his son could then press those claims, but then she never got them...

E: wait, she does have them, but my son never got them. So I guess what controls which claims kids get? He got all. His father's claims but none of his mothers.

LOL the ai married her off to someone else before my son's corpse was even cold.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 2, 2022

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah get the lifestyle perk, and pilgrimage.

Also go raid non-coreligionists and fight battles against them, you'll get piety from battles.

I had not messed with that perk tree pretty much at all (this is my first real CK3 game but I have shitload of CK 2 time).

This guy is a warrior king (how White Rus got so expanded). I hope he can get 3 lifestyle perks in that tree before he dies. I think getting the -50% reform cost will be the only way he can do it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have a real basic question, what controls if a woman will get claims? I bethrothed my son to a near by dukes daughter so his son could then press those claims, but then she never got them...

E: wait, she does have them, but my son never got them. So I guess what controls which claims kids get? He got all. His father's claims but none of his mothers.

LOL the ai married her off to someone else before my son's corpse was even cold.

claims are like property and they only pass when the claimant they're inheriting the claim from dies, and only if they're eligible to claim in the first place

if you're in a male preference society, women will only get claims from their fathers if their father doesn't have any male heirs. I believe they will have claims, and then lose them as soon as the male heir is born. In the event that they retain their claim, they will only pass their claim to their son after they die.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

EmbryoSteve posted:

I had not messed with that perk tree pretty much at all (this is my first real CK3 game but I have shitload of CK 2 time).

This guy is a warrior king (how White Rus got so expanded). I hope he can get 3 lifestyle perks in that tree before he dies. I think getting the -50% reform cost will be the only way he can do it.

Honestly learning education focus is kind of OP and you should try it out sometime

a lot of the time if you start a character out with a learning education you can finish out another entire profession page before your character dies. 5-6 traits is not impossible. The tree that ends in whole of body buys you about 40 years.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mirthless posted:

Honestly learning education focus is kind of OP and you should try it out sometime

a lot of the time if you start a character out with a learning education you can finish out another entire profession page before your character dies. 5-6 traits is not impossible. The tree that ends in whole of body buys you about 40 years.

:hmmyes: still remember my initial playthrough where I used the Forge Claim perk plus the boatload of piety I got from a Crusade to form the Kingdom of Burgundy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Women (and men) inherit claims when their parents die. Also your son would never receive the claims of his wife, but any children he had by that wife would inherit them (when their mother dies).

EmbryoSteve posted:

If your king is a warrior king you should def be out raiding for piety. Battles against hostile religions generate loads of it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Mirthless posted:

claims are like property and they only pass when the claimant they're inheriting the claim from dies, and only if they're eligible to claim in the first place

if you're in a male preference society, women will only get claims from their fathers if their father doesn't have any male heirs. I believe they will have claims, and then lose them as soon as the male heir is born. In the event that they retain their claim, they will only pass their claim to their son after they die.

And sure enough she just died and now he has the claims.

Although I may restart this run, I wanted to do a hapsburg run in the HRE, but within the life of the starting kaiser the empire has completely collapses. Bavaria is the last big duchy to stay in, everyone else has left, including all of italy.

Its actually my second attempt, the first round I was made the emperor 10 years into the game. Do not want.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a way to split my house out from the dynasty so I can be the dynasty head and control the legacies?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the HRE is miserable at keeping itself together. The AI absolutely cannot handle it, and routinely just surrenders to independence factions in Italy because the Emperor usually rendered completely impotent by Partition. And since Italy is in it's own de jure Empire there's basically no method or interest for the AI to ever journey south of the Alps once they've broken away.

I would seriously consider playing with the Realm Stability rule increased by one tick, makes AI realms much more stable (also the player's realm, but that's much less of a benefit to you, since you no longer get trivial civil wars for titles to revoke).

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

PittTheElder posted:

If your king is a warrior king you should def be out raiding for piety. Battles against hostile religions generate loads of it.

Yeah this is likely the plan as I see if I can get the lifestyle perks. Khazaria is next door and all of those non-slavic baltic counties.

Khazaria was a big bad beast until about the last 15 years (thanks to my machinations) they had probably the biggest empire in the world and were gobbling up big parts of eastern europe including Kyiv and the kingdom of Maldova. I was pretty pissed bout them getting Kyiv because I was literally JUST ABOUT TO CONQUEST THAT DUCHY when Khazaria swooped in and took over. Kyiv that was a big part of my plan to reform and i had no chance of a straight up 1:1 fight with them. I thought about maybe just conquesting my way to the holy site in the south of denmark but that seemed like a tremendous slog and would make forming an empire difficult.

Luckily this king also has 21 intrigue and I was able to get secrets, lower popularity, and assassinate the emperor twice until there was a child emperor to foment civil war, and in the civil war then able to conquest the whole duchy of Kiev without even a battle (just sieged it all down and waited for teh timer to go up). Then assassinated that Emperor so I didnt have to wait 5 years to invade the kingdom of vladimyr. All in all Khazaria when from 20k troops to only being able to field 3k before my invasion all in the span of about 10 years. intrigue being that viable and effective was actually pretty great.

After that that empire more or less fell apart and ruthenia (which i will subjugate because I havent done that yet with this guy) and moldova separated. I dont even know what is going on in the steps in the east of the empire. All of the area the empire had is jewish now though so that is pretty different from most of my runs in CK2. Also Hungry is an independent jewish Khazar kingdom. They did pretty good until they got in my way.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a way to split my house out from the dynasty so I can be the dynasty head and control the legacies?

Unfortunately not; creating cadet branches will make you the house head but not the dynasty head, you can only change the legacies if you're the dynasty head. Whoever has the biggest/strongest army becomes the dynasty head so focus on building to your domain limit and staying at maximium domain size and it'll happen pretty quick on it's own.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mirthless posted:

I normally don't bother with Whole of Body, but god it kicks your lifespan up so much. Not 40 years for me, but I'd say like 20 years. I almost retired my game when my last guy was murdered 4 years in, and the heir was not even 1, but then I decided to see how long I could keep this guy going. Ended up making it to 83, and 83 years of ruling is definitely the longest run I've had with one guy. The long run modifiers were so big that I had neighboring kings accepting my offer of vassalage, which I've never seen before. I was more or less going on a personal crusade and spread Asatru to over 1,000 counties by the end. Catholicism was down to like 50. I was almost triple the size of the next religion.

Hybridizing sure is a cheat code to get innovations though. I hybridized Norse 4 times to get an Andalusian-Italian-Anglo-Norse culture. When I hybridized with Andalusian I picked up 8 innovations and all of a sudden I had nothing to research anymore.

Snapped the picture below a few months before he died. I filled out 5 whole trees, and had 2 others half done. I only wonder how long he would've live if he was robust or herculean. Probably would've added another 5 years on there. The drunkard probably took a year or two off unfortunately. Maybe one day I'll just try to make a 100 year old guy. Fill the bloodline out to get +5 life expectancy, herculean, whole of body, and witch. Dude was still loving until the end though, had a couple of baby twins from a concubine right before I got the 1 year to die notice.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

I normally don't bother with Whole of Body, but god it kicks your lifespan up so much. Not 40 years for me, but I'd say like 20 years. I almost retired my game when my last guy was murdered 4 years in, and the heir was not even 1, but then I decided to see how long I could keep this guy going. Ended up making it to 83, and 83 years of ruling is definitely the longest run I've had with one guy. The long run modifiers were so big that I had neighboring kings accepting my offer of vassalage, which I've never seen before. I was more or less going on a personal crusade and spread Asatru to over 1,000 counties by the end. Catholicism was down to like 50. I was almost triple the size of the next religion.

Hybridizing sure is a cheat code to get innovations though. I hybridized Norse 4 times to get an Andalusian-Italian-Anglo-Norse culture. When I hybridized with Andalusian I picked up 8 innovations and all of a sudden I had nothing to research anymore.

Snapped the picture below a few months before he died. I filled out 5 whole trees, and had 2 others half done. I only wonder how long he would've live if he was robust or herculean. Probably would've added another 5 years on there. The drunkard probably took a year or two off unfortunately. Maybe one day I'll just try to make a 100 year old guy. Fill the bloodline out to get +5 life expectancy, herculean, whole of body, and witch. Dude was still loving until the end though, had a couple of baby twins from a concubine right before I got the 1 year to die notice.

Yeah, the amount of time you get out of it goes up the more traits you can stack with it; It's not hard to consistently get 100 year rulers if you can get herculean and/or strong blooded and I just had one drop dead at 98 who survived cancer, gout, small pox and disfigurement and was a drunkard from age 14

Even better if you have royal court and get some medicine books, it's hilarious to pull up the character sheet in your 80s, hover over the heart and see "Excellent! You're full of vim and vigor" while your concubines pour out heirs like a garden hose

I'd be willing to bet you could get to 120 or above if you really minmaxed it, live up to some of those real incredible medieval legends

edit: on a side note, I generally try to aim for child heirs if possible and I like ultimogeniture a lot. I got to really enjoy playing as child rulers in CK2 (generating a shattered earth full of children was a fun gameplay mode) and they did a good job of translating the gameplay experience into CK3, the game becomes intensely focused on basic survival, managing your personal connections at court, and appeasing your most dangerous vassals with the most limited possible toolset (sway, gift, minor title and ward) and the reward for juggling all that is generally ideal traits and better stats than you'd have had if you'd started as an adult. It's also generally the easiest way to get a 2 or 4 personality trait ruler, though you definitely can't count on those events firing. Also if you get the double fame from battles legacy, being a living legend at age 16 is really good and is very easy once you get a good stack of men at arms

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 2, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not sure of the viability of holy wars since I'm currently Catholic and in Europe; I plan on beating up a lot of fellow religionists. Pursuit of power sounds great, though, I'll reform to that.

Abandon Catholicism. Get the "By the Sword" tradition. Unlimited kingdom level Holy wars so long as you have the piety. Go nuts.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Servetus posted:

Abandon Catholicism. Get the "By the Sword" tradition. Unlimited kingdom level Holy wars so long as you have the piety. Go nuts.
As amusing as declaring myself the incarnated godhead and bringing the good word to the rest of Europe is, I want to see if I can run 'em all over as a fellow Christian.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CapnAndy posted:

As amusing as declaring myself the incarnated godhead and bringing the good word to the rest of Europe is, I want to see if I can run 'em all over as a fellow Christian.

I think that preventing this sort of behavior is part of why Catholicism historically caught on in the first place. A religious doctrine ostensibly centered around compassion and turning the other cheek would have been immensely popular at a time when most people were born directly into servitude, anything that keeps the duke from making war is good for the peasantry

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mirthless posted:

I think that preventing this sort of behavior is part of why Catholicism historically caught on in the first place. A religious doctrine ostensibly centered around compassion and turning the other cheek would have been immensely popular at a time when most people were born directly into servitude, anything that keeps the duke from making war is good for the peasantry
In real life, sure. But it's funnier if Jesus says I can conquer the world.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mirthless posted:

And then the bonus to the ruling class is that it replaces the pagan pantheon with an allegory of centralized authority.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As fun as making your own degenerate inbred warmonger religion is, there's also a lot of satisfaction in staying christian and engaging with the Pope. Shame you can't really do astray hereries, it's all or nothing.

Imo the religion system is really shown to be super limited after what they did with traditions, and I'm assuming there'll be an upgrade eventually in the form of a DLC.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There is up to 600 years of setting up inheritance gambits all over the known world. More satisfying than playing clicky cookie map painter imo.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Serephina posted:

As fun as making your own degenerate inbred warmonger religion is, there's also a lot of satisfaction in staying christian and engaging with the Pope. Shame you can't really do astray hereries, it's all or nothing.

Imo the religion system is really shown to be super limited after what they did with traditions, and I'm assuming there'll be an upgrade eventually in the form of a DLC.

I thought you could do that now, by taking the Rite tenet for your heresy?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I saw that! But when I queued it up it indicated that my old faith would consider me hostile, even if I apparently was keeping the pope as my leader. Was a cheevo game so I couldn't be bothered to see if the UI was wrong.

Also, it sucks that when making spinoff religion you can end up spending 1/3rd of your uniqueness just being "not being murdered by my old faith". The faith tenent system is realllly lacking.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Game needs 100+ more achievements for history/weird alt-history stuff that make me look up historical characters on wikipedia.

Coincidentally, I kinda miss the wiki button from CK2.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Serephina posted:

Agreed

Serephina posted:

I saw that! But when I queued it up it indicated that my old faith would consider me hostile, even if I apparently was keeping the pope as my leader. Was a cheevo game so I couldn't be bothered to see if the UI was wrong.

Also, it sucks that when making spinoff religion you can end up spending 1/3rd of your uniqueness just being "not being murdered by my old faith". The faith tenent system is realllly lacking.

I hope that this gets the DLC reform treatment; I'd like to see them split religion up into major and minor tenants because a lot of the options right now are basically "never pick this unless you're doing a joke run". Piety is also basically a useless resource for a lot of religions because once you reform you don't really use it for anything anymore.

It'd also be nice if they'd turn syncretism/gnosticism from traits into a separate system, they're cool in the right niche but very hard to get broad use out of, and generally only get less useful the longer the game goes

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 3, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Piety is amazing for expanding in feudal areas where most rulers around you are your own/similar religion(central Europe and India comes to mind), as you can't use holy war/conquest CBs, so I wouldn't say it's useless.
It can also be used for asking for money from your religious head, if your religion has that(and why wouldn't you create one if you're reforming).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I've only been able to ask money from the pope. This very last run, when I reformed Asatru, I had a spiritual head of faith, but I was never able to ask them for money. Maybe there is another tenet I needed when reforming. Piety is still good for making holy orders if you can do that, and obviously holy wars. There's also the handful of other decisions that require a lot of piety like consecrated bloodline.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Religious heads need to have enough money to actually give you, which can take a while for newly reformed religions. To test you can ask the patriarch for the byzantines.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, you might need a specific tenet as well, which both Catholicism and Orthodoxy have by default.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 3, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I thought that only worked with the pope too

Anytime I reform a religion and make it have a religious head I cant resist making myself the religious head

edit: thinking about that: I never had anyone ask me money when Im the religious head

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There is up to 600 years of setting up inheritance gambits all over the known world. More satisfying than playing clicky cookie map painter imo.

One of my favorite CK2 runs was an early Greek game that I should have game overed on, but somehow I transferred all the way to middle of nowhere Norway after I got conquered. So I had to play as this Norwegian Orthodox family.

I feel like there's far less of that kind of movement potential in CK3. Which also strikes me as insane, because you can also literally switch to almost any landed ruler in the game at any time without the use of the console.

Edit
Then there was the multiplayer game where I managed to set up my last county with ultimogeniture, because my last born son was married to the eldest daughter of the king of Germany, and I subsequently murdered eight consecutive young queens of Germany, so said daughter could inherit.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I thought that only worked with the pope too

Anytime I reform a religion and make it have a religious head I cant resist making myself the religious head

edit: thinking about that: I never had anyone ask me money when Im the religious head

Specifically, only Spiritual heads of faith can be asked for money or claims. Temporal heads of faith have less power (to compensate for having more of the "ordering heavily armed men to stab people" kind of power). Both kinds can declare crusades or great holy wars. With the Communion tenet, they can both be asked for indulgences (which is a money fountain if you're the Temporal HoF), but only the Spiritual ones can excommunicate.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Quorum posted:

Specifically, only Spiritual heads of faith can be asked for money or claims. Temporal heads of faith have less power (to compensate for having more of the "ordering heavily armed men to stab people" kind of power). Both kinds can declare crusades or great holy wars. With the Communion tenet, they can both be asked for indulgences (which is a money fountain if you're the Temporal HoF), but only the Spiritual ones can excommunicate.

-De Monarchia, 1313

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Quorum posted:

Ah, makes sense.I never knew that

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there any kind of guide that explains who/why/when you want to give titles away? Obviously to stay under your rulers real limit but I sort of just choose people at random. I am playing as Rurik and I chose to found a kingdom right away, not sure if that was a good idea or not.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I don't have a handy guide, but there's a few things I nearly always do with excess titles.

I almost always give them away to someone of my dynasty, since this will add renown. When granting titles, you can filter characters to just your dynasty to make sure this happens.

I will often give away county titles to my heir, if possible. This can be especially useful in partition because then your heir can't lose them upon succession. There are pros and cons here. First, your heir could end up losing those titles to someone else with a claim. Second, people seem to get into a little more trouble once they're landed. Giving your heir titles though lets them build prestige, gold, and piety at a faster rate than being unlanded. This can be a boost when you take over and you're not stuck with some guy with nothing. DOn't give them all away to your heir, they can still only hold on to so many counties. I don't tend to give titles to my other kids since I don't want to create competition for my heir. If you're in partition, you can only grant titles to your heirs if they would get them upon succession.

If you're a king or higher, you can only hold two duchies at a time without facing opinion penalties. Sometimes those penalties are worth it to hold the extra duchy title because that means you get to build another duchy level building, which can be very powerful. If you think you can manage the penalties, then hold more than two, but I almost never go past three duchies. I usually give duchy titles away to the person holding the duchy capital, since this lets your vassal also build the duchy building.

I try to hold kingdom level titles as much as possible since this increases your income. If I got it right, each step up reduces your income by 10%. So a count gives 10% to a duke, who gives 10% to the king, who gives 10% to the emperor (this % can change based on feudal contracts). So every middle man you cut out can really up your income. There is no limit to kingdom titles you can hold.

If you are at emperor level, and getting really big, you need to pay attention to going over your vassal limit. If you hit your limit, then you should look at giving some kingdom level titles away to lower your vassal amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Give titles away to dynasty members if at all possible. (Giving titles to men who are not of your dynasty but have married into it matrilineally is fine, since their heirs will be your dynasty.)

Which titles to give away and when is a balancing act. Especially when you're a small-time ruler, the vast majority of your levies and income are from your personal holdings. Give away too much and you make yourself weak, and weak rulers meet the business end of factions. If you hold more than two duchy-level titles your vassals will get pissed (and the penalty scales with each additional title), if you have holdings above your limit you get across-the-board penalties to all your holdings that are fairly crippling. If you hold an earldom but a vassal holds the duchy-level title, he'll get pissed at you because that's supposed to be land that he rules and you took it out of his power structure, which weakens him.

When you're looking at what to give away, consider how valuable it is. The more holding slots a county has, the more valuable it is. De jure capitals are valuable, since that's where duchy buildings can be built If there's a unique building there or it's a holy site or associated with a special decision, that's valuable too. If you've already invested a bunch of gold into upgrading the buildings, remember that they only provide bonuses to their holder and if you give the county away you lose them. You ought to have an idea of where your most valuable holdings are; give away the other stuff.

As for landing your heir: I never do. I'm aware that there's upsides, but to me, they don't outweigh the downside, which is that a character with land of their own is going to go off and do what they want and I can't control it. The AI does stupid poo poo. A landed heir could make bad betrothals for their children, or, worse, marry someone useless to you if you landed them while they were single, thus blowing your entire eugenics plan. They can get in fights with other vassals. They can go to war with independent rulers and get themselves captured, maimed, or killed. And once your grandkids are out of your court, your heir does not have to agree to let you raise them -- and now you have a grandson who's second in line for the throne and wholly inadequate for it. Uh-uh. Not me, no sir. Land is for third sons, maybe second sons if my first son already has some kids of his own. I want my heirs in my control.