Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

It's not an AT&T problem, it's a Verizon problem. Verizon bought TracFone and thus Straight Talk and they've been running it straight into the ground, which is why I already switched away. Her phone is one of the newer Samsung phones from AT&T's approved devices list as of January or February, it's definitely account fuckery and not a device problem. Thankfully I was finally able to reach someone that could force-activate her SIM so it could be transferred but holy gently caress their service is so bad now.

In general I haven't been able to understand why Verizon has had a good reputation for the past decade. They built out an impressive network in the mid 2000s, but since about a decade ago their service at least around here has been very poor by comparison to AT&T. The device whitelist sucks but it's nowhere near as bad as the constant horror show dealing with Verizon has been. I've regularly used a bunch of hardware devices that are locked to Verizon by some stupid contractual bullshit, and they virtually never work right and I wind up using my phone to provide a hotspot for them. Either there's no service or the service randomly cuts out, which is no bueno for devices that need real-time data streaming. Maybe in other places their network is good but whether in a major city or rural areas my experiences have consistently been way below what I'd consider acceptable.

I mean, full disclosure I work for big red , but overall the other person is right , it just varies on where you live. My experience is the coverage mostly is fine / better than when I was on ATT, but it absolutely depends.

Trac fone is a whole different thing and while owned by Verizon, far as I know not (yet) run directly by then , but that it’s probably in transition hell. No idea. But yeah, their service is going to be bare bones at best, and currently really is still totally different than Verizon.

Both the sprint / T-Mobile merger and the Verizon buying straight talk, both should have been blocked, but that’s unfortunately a whole other thing.

I donno, my point is they all are going to be , at best, hit or miss , so it’s just trying to optimize it to work best for each person specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
Any plan recommendations for a week in British Columbia? Pixel 3a phone. Apparently Visible doesn't do international roaming :mad:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there prepaid pocket wifi plans in the states that would work okay in rural areas (equivalent to regular AT&T/Verizon cell data plans)?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Looking for an Android phone and plan for my mom. She will be using it for typical senior stuff: so she can call for help if she gets in trouble, use it as a GPS, and light web use, mainly looking up menus online and that kind of thing. She’s got an Android tablet so I think that sticking with an Android interface is best. She’s currently got a flip phone from consumer cellular, but it’s dying and even I don’t know how to use it for navigation or internet. Limited data with a cheaper monthly plan would be best, as I don’t think she’ll use it very much. Bonus points for a slightly smaller phone, because she says her old people pants have small pockets.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the landscape out there in tolerable cheap phones?

I want to pick up something cheap for a kid to play Pokemon Go with family member who are super into it. Wirecutter is recommend all Samsungs, which surprises me a little. My zero-research pick would be a TCL 20 SE, is that a terrible idea? It's huge, has a Snapdragon 460, and is cheap.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m facing a conundrum on what to upgrade my mom to. She has a Pixel 3a XL. She’s been on Android forever. Security updates are ending for that phone so I need to get her something new for Christmas. I recently switched back to iPhone last year after a 4 year run with Android and feel back at home. I’ve floated the idea of putting her in the same ecosystem as me, and I would love that her (potential) iPhone 14 would be impossible to screw up, be secure and updated for a long rear end time, and overall be a great experience. Also my own selfish desire to put her in the Apple camp so we can FaceTime or whatever. She’s not up for it, but I can’t figure out if its because she wants to stay Android or just doesn’t like me spending money on her. My Android options are taking advantage of the Pixel 6a trade in and basically giving her a new phone for $150, or wait for the Pixel 7 (and potentially not have a great trade for an old budget phone)

Any pointers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m facing a conundrum on what to upgrade my mom to. She has a Pixel 3a XL. She’s been on Android forever. Security updates are ending for that phone so I need to get her something new for Christmas. I recently switched back to iPhone last year after a 4 year run with Android and feel back at home. I’ve floated the idea of putting her in the same ecosystem as me, and I would love that her (potential) iPhone 14 would be impossible to screw up, be secure and updated for a long rear end time, and overall be a great experience. Also my own selfish desire to put her in the Apple camp so we can FaceTime or whatever. She’s not up for it, but I can’t figure out if its because she wants to stay Android or just doesn’t like me spending money on her. My Android options are taking advantage of the Pixel 6a trade in and basically giving her a new phone for $150, or wait for the Pixel 7 (and potentially not have a great trade for an old budget phone)

Any pointers?

If you live near her take her by the phone store and have her look at the pixel and iPhone if you want to gauge whether she is interested or not.

Either should honestly be fine, if she’s happy with her current phone the new pixels should be fine. Def don’t like, put too much pressure on her switching platforms , I see that happen all the time and it’s not a great idea if they don’t want to switch.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the landscape out there in tolerable cheap phones?

I want to pick up something cheap for a kid to play Pokemon Go with family member who are super into it. Wirecutter is recommend all Samsungs, which surprises me a little. My zero-research pick would be a TCL 20 SE, is that a terrible idea? It's huge, has a Snapdragon 460, and is cheap.

I think the consensus for best cheap phones are whatever Motorola is in your price range.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

I think the consensus for best cheap phones are whatever Motorola is in your price range.

That depends on whether you care about updates or not. Motorola Android updates are usually slow, if they happen at all, and their security updates are only every two months and frequently late. They also often don't support their phones as long as other manufacturers - the $400 Motorola One 5G Ace I bought last year hits end of support in January 2023, for instance. With Motorola the hardware is fine, but the software support is terrible.

This is coming from someone who bought two Motorola phones last year and really liked them, until the software support problem became unbearable and I jumped to a Pixel 6 this year.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any pointers?

Have just jumped to a Pixel from an iPhone 8 and although I do miss the ecosystem aspect with other apple devices, Android does feel like it's in a comparable place now in terms of overall sleekness, it's just kind of gone in a different/louder direction design wise, whereas iOS feels more invisible. But experience-wise the new pixels do feel hi end in a way that android never has before. So I mean you know your mother best but if someone's been using android phones all their life and aren't some kind of tech nerd they'll probably just get annoyed and confused at all the differences in navigation/ux design/etc, whereas the new android phones feel like they're finally able to go toe to toe with iphones while still having that same underlying navigation/OS methodology as ios.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

What's the best place to trade in unlocked phones? Wife and I both use unlocked iPhones on Visibility that are getting long in the tooth. Looking to stay unlocked and get decent money for our current models.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Os Furoris posted:

What's the best place to trade in unlocked phones? Wife and I both use unlocked iPhones on Visibility that are getting long in the tooth. Looking to stay unlocked and get decent money for our current models.

Probably sell on swappa.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Country/Provider: USA/tmobil

Current contract status: Surprise cancellation in 1 day

Budget (phone/plan): cheap as possible

Features I know I want:
cheap

Long story short tmobil lied about having service where I live, had to go on the phone for them for lifetimes to get some credits and as a result of refunding half of my billing history they're ending my contract as of tomorrow, which is not what I expected.

Should I just go to best buy and grab like prepaid? as it's a necessity that I have cell service when I'm on the road, which is 60% of the time

I was looking at google fi but i don't know that I can get a sim card from them quickly. Their plan looks good though.

After this emergency period I'm just looking for a carrier where I'm not the last priority on the tower and completely open to getting my poo poo sniffed out, since i'm on the road I can't always use secure wireless for stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dejan Bimble posted:

Country/Provider: USA/tmobil

Current contract status: Surprise cancellation in 1 day

Budget (phone/plan): cheap as possible

Features I know I want:
cheap

Long story short tmobil lied about having service where I live, had to go on the phone for them for lifetimes to get some credits and as a result of refunding half of my billing history they're ending my contract as of tomorrow, which is not what I expected.

Should I just go to best buy and grab like prepaid? as it's a necessity that I have cell service when I'm on the road, which is 60% of the time

I was looking at google fi but i don't know that I can get a sim card from them quickly. Their plan looks good though.

After this emergency period I'm just looking for a carrier where I'm not the last priority on the tower and completely open to getting my poo poo sniffed out, since i'm on the road I can't always use secure wireless for stuff.

Google Fi uses T-Mobile , so that won’t solve your coverage issue.

What phone do you have and what is your goal monthly price range wise ?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Duckman2008 posted:

Google Fi uses T-Mobile , so that won’t solve your coverage issue.

What phone do you have and what is your goal monthly price range wise ?

Iphone xr and under 30 dollars

got a visible prepaid for the month so the time crunch is gone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dejan Bimble posted:

Uhhhhh, maybe cricket ?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

got a visible prepaid for the month so the time crunch is gone.

My secondary phone is on a Tracfone plan (using Verizon towers) that costs me $21.55 per month including fees and such. Unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of data per month. The data rolls over each month, so it just builds up over time since I don't use that phone for much of anything, and now has like 9 or 10GB of data banked up. If you don't need much data something like that might work for you.

My primary phone is on Verizon prepaid and gets 5GB of data per month (no rollover) and at this point costs me $26.25 per month. That's with a discount for autopay and a couple discounts for having had the plan for over 9 months.

I don't use much data, so the 5GB is overkill for me, but I like not having to worry about it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Fi is not reliable enough for a work device, imo.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Javid posted:

Fi is not reliable enough for a work device, imo.

Fi is the lowest priority on every tower right? So the safety factor is low and the connection reliability is also low, at least that's what I'm reading

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My secondary phone is on a Tracfone plan (using Verizon towers) that costs me $21.55 per month including fees and such. Unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of data per month. The data rolls over each month, so it just builds up over time since I don't use that phone for much of anything, and now has like 9 or 10GB of data banked up. If you don't need much data something like that might work for you.

My primary phone is on Verizon prepaid and gets 5GB of data per month (no rollover) and at this point costs me $26.25 per month. That's with a discount for autopay and a couple discounts for having had the plan for over 9 months.

I don't use much data, so the 5GB is overkill for me, but I like not having to worry about it.

Good to know. I will check that out

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The big red flag if you're gonna be working via it is that support is nonexistent. If your issue is more complex than their immediate script can handle it will literally never get fixed other than by moving to another carrier

Corvid-19
Apr 8, 2021
Country/Provider: US, Ting (which is t-mobile where I'm at I think?)

Current contract status: Month-to-month, with no complaints.

Budget (phone/plan): <$300

Features I know I want: An android that's rootable.

Unfortunately, my trusty Honor 7X is showing its age with a busted-to-hell camera, decrepit performance, and a bulging battery that I'm low-key worried is going to burn a hole through my pants and also me. I might have just bought another huawei, but I don't think they allow rooting anymore, which I kind of need in a phone.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That depends on whether you care about updates or not. Motorola Android updates are usually slow, if they happen at all, and their security updates are only every two months and frequently late. They also often don't support their phones as long as other manufacturers - the $400 Motorola One 5G Ace I bought last year hits end of support in January 2023, for instance. With Motorola the hardware is fine, but the software support is terrible.

This is coming from someone who bought two Motorola phones last year and really liked them, until the software support problem became unbearable and I jumped to a Pixel 6 this year.

It's for this reason that I got a Samsung A03s for like $109 CAD and with 3 more years of security updates. I'm no power-user, but this "budget" device has been punching waaaaaaay above it's weight imo.

For a 3GB/32Gb phone, I was expecting poo poo, but I'm actually blown away with how smooth it is. It runs One UI Core (basically Android Go but Samsung), so while not a super performer, the lighter software doesn't appear to hog resources. It also comes with surprisingly little bloatware, and many of the essential apps are the "lite" version (ex. the camera app is 2 megabytes, messages is 10 megabytes, etc). I totally forgot that the screen was 720x1600—my lovely eyes didn't even notice. 64GB of storage would have been better, but I don't mind dumping poo poo on an SD card.

I'm downgrading from an LG K61 I bought in 2020, which has a gig more RAM, 128 GB storage, and basically the same SoC. If I didn't know the specs, I'd be troubled to tell you the difference between them other than UI. Doesn't hurt that it cost 1/3 of the price either.

I avoided Samsung like the plague, but I'm totally onboard with this One UI Core/Android Go direction. If you're on a tight budget and don't want anything exotic, even Samsung's ultra-budget devices are shockingly streamlined and totally functional.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

This kind of a general question, but is there a website or vendor where I can buy a used smartphone cheaper than Amazon but more reliably than eBay? I'm on TMobile

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

This kind of a general question, but is there a website or vendor where I can buy a used smartphone cheaper than Amazon but more reliably than eBay? I'm on TMobile

Swappa.com

Way more reliable than eBay imo, I have sold multiple phones there no issues . I’ve never bought a phone from there, but they def make sellers be accurate and audit their listings very well.

I doubt it’s cheaper than Amazon, but you’re less likely to get hosed.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thanks!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there a reason to "upgrade" from a Pixel 4A 5g to maybe a Pixel 6a or another midrange?

Just curious because theres a deal now for $300 for a 6A, with $150 or $200 trade in for the 4A 5g

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

E2M2 posted:

Is there a reason to "upgrade" from a Pixel 4A 5g to maybe a Pixel 6a or another midrange?

Just curious because theres a deal now for $300 for a 6A, with $150 or $200 trade in for the 4A 5g

The 6a has the same Google chip that the flagship 6/6 pro have (tensor), and a 15% bigger battery, so it's going to last quite a bit longer

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I went from 4a to a 6a and while I liked the size of the 4a the 6a is definitely an upgrade

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I have an iPhone 7 and I'm going to upgrade to something newer. The camera is my main interest, and I'm willing to shell out for it. I've been trying to take my best photos with my DSLR camera, but it's obviously tempting to just use a smartphone because I always have it with me and it's more convenient. I just lost my DSLR so now I'm all in for investing in a smartphone with a great camera.

The two main choices these days seem to be the Pixel 6 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro. The 6 camera looks a little better, but it'd have to be a huge improvement to really sway me, because I'm just used to Apple products so it's just going to be much more convenient to continue using them. So that leave the 13. Comments? Is it terrible for some reason I haven't seen?

Also, any experience good or bad with AppleCare+ Theft and Loss? I'm particularly accident/losing stuff prone and this little piece of silicon won't be cheap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I have an iPhone 7 and I'm going to upgrade to something newer. The camera is my main interest, and I'm willing to shell out for it. I've been trying to take my best photos with my DSLR camera, but it's obviously tempting to just use a smartphone because I always have it with me and it's more convenient. I just lost my DSLR so now I'm all in for investing in a smartphone with a great camera.

The two main choices these days seem to be the Pixel 6 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro. The 6 camera looks a little better, but it'd have to be a huge improvement to really sway me, because I'm just used to Apple products so it's just going to be much more convenient to continue using them. So that leave the 13. Comments? Is it terrible for some reason I haven't seen?

Also, any experience good or bad with AppleCare+ Theft and Loss? I'm particularly accident/losing stuff prone and this little piece of silicon won't be cheap.

New iPhone is announced next week. Wait 1-3 weeks.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

New iPhone is announced next week. Wait 1-3 weeks.

Because the price might go down on a 13?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Because the price might go down on a 13?

The 13 will go down slightly in price yes. The 14 will get likely very good promotions. Especially if you’re in the United States, the carriers usually run aggressive promos for iPhone launch.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

E2M2 posted:

fwiw i just checked and saw the 6a for $450 with a trade in offer for my 4a (no 5g) for 295. so i did it because hey new phone for ~150 plus taxes and the battery of the 4a just started showing serious signs of decline.

we'll see if I regret all of this later.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Duckman2008 posted:

The 13 will go down slightly in price yes. The 14 will get likely very good promotions. Especially if you’re in the United States, the carriers usually run aggressive promos for iPhone launch.

Does the unlocked price for the newest model ever change or is it only carrier promos? And do they usually drop the previous generation prices by an amount that can be guessed?

My poor iphone Xs Max is starting to have screen troubles - basically like an eighth of the screen on the right side from top to bottom is nearly unresponsive. It's just a small amount of the screen but it's surprisingly disruptive! If I want to type a "p" I have to do it in landscape mode then switch back lol.

So I started Googling about iphone 13 prices and a lot of the top results are specifically about NOT buying one right now because of the 14 release coming up, but how much are we talking? The issue I'm having is annoying, but (assuming it doesn't get any worse) I could deal with it for another 2 weeks for the sake of saving some money. But if the savings are a matter of like 50 bucks I'd just eat it and get a 13 at the current price.

---

I always assume those carrier deals for devices aren't worth it but haven't seriously looked into one in years. Could it be worth it tho? I'm on Tmobile with the Magenta Max plan for 3 lines with no plans on switching any time soon.

I actually need 2 new iphones, as my work line is using the 2020 SE which is getting a little beat up. If there's ever some great deal that requires getting 2 devices I could do it.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
my pixel 3aXL screen has some oxidation spots that are spreading and I'm assuming it's a better deal at this point to just get a new phone. I am on Verizon. I rarely use my camera, basically use the awful app and the youtube app. Any budget phone recommendations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vashro posted:

my pixel 3aXL screen has some oxidation spots that are spreading and I'm assuming it's a better deal at this point to just get a new phone. I am on Verizon. I rarely use my camera, basically use the awful app and the youtube app. Any budget phone recommendations?

If you are on an unlimited plan Verizon will give you a trade in if $800 on your phone towards the Samsung S22, 22+ or 22 ultra. 22+ is $1000, so you get it for $200.

Main catch is it’s a 3 year contract. But good promo IMO.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Vashro posted:

The Google store is running a big tradein deal right now for the Pixel 6a, and it looks like they're giving ~$290 tradein value on a 3aXL that turns on but has an imperfect screen. Definitely worth checking out if you want to stick with the Pixel lineup.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I was shamed in the Disney thread for having a phone so old and sad it can't even run the Disney app. I was sent here to repent for my crimes of being a cheap old fart and request advice for a new phone. My LG K20V was released back in 2016, I bought it in 2017, and it was a budget phone of it's time.

We are Verizon Android people, and yes I want to stick with the android world. I mainly use it for emails and photos and a few dumb apps. My husband also needs a new phone, he is overdue for an upgrade. Are there any future BOGO deals or Black Friday type sales we should hold out for? I'm in no rush, my current phone is fine, but I understand not having security updates and stuff puts me at risk. I don't need a crazy good camera or to be able to play complex games or anything. Just a good battery, easy to use interface, nothing too fancy.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VorpalBunny posted:

I was shamed in the Disney thread for having a phone so old and sad it can't even run the Disney app. I was sent here to repent for my crimes of being a cheap old fart and request advice for a new phone. My LG K20V was released back in 2016, I bought it in 2017, and it was a budget phone of it's time.

We are Verizon Android people, and yes I want to stick with the android world. I mainly use it for emails and photos and a few dumb apps. My husband also needs a new phone, he is overdue for an upgrade. Are there any future BOGO deals or Black Friday type sales we should hold out for? I'm in no rush, my current phone is fine, but I understand not having security updates and stuff puts me at risk. I don't need a crazy good camera or to be able to play complex games or anything. Just a good battery, easy to use interface, nothing too fancy.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

If have to check the chart of trade Able phones, but there is a chance you phone qualifies for the $800 Samsung trade in. I am not saying for sure, because yeah it’s an old phone , it def may not. But if you want me to check, PM me and I’ll check for you tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

VorpalBunny posted:

I was shamed in the Disney thread for having a phone so old and sad it can't even run the Disney app.

gently caress 'em. LG phones are tanks, and they don't make 'em anymore, so if it's still doing you just fine, tell those bitches to eat poo poo. :flip:

I don't mean to oversell the Samsung A03s in this thread, but it runs the Disney app just fine (expect 3 more years of security updates) and can probably be outright bought for just over $100 USD. As someone who downgraded from an LG K61, I actually really like the A03s, but manage your expectations.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 2, 2022