Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for giving my sister's car to a stranger so that he fixes it?

Can't find this one, and I desperately need to read this genius' comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
guy that gets really mad on behalf of the fbi when he sees federal boob inspector shirts

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AITA for telling my dad he shouldn't have reported a colleague to HR?

quote:

My (25,female) dad is the type of person to tell you to always "keep the peace". He would always tell us that when we're in a difficult situation with someone else, we should be the bigger person and keep the peace. Sure, it's important to keep the peace but depending on the situation sometimes it's absolutely the worst idea, but he never wanted to hear it. I got harassed by this guy in school and when I told my parents about it, my dad said that I should just ignore him and it'll stop, and telling the teacher means that I'm stooping to his level and being the smaller person.
Another more recent example, last year my parents went to a Christmas party (I was there too) and this woman made a rude remark about my mom's hairstyle. Mom got upset because she'd spent a long time on it, but then dad said to not say anything and keep the peace. These are just some examples but there's always been things like this, big and small and I didn't agree with most of it.

So the other day, I went over to my parents house to help because they're renovating. My sister and a friend of dad's was also there to help out. He was saying how there's this colleague who was stealing his work somehow. He tells me that he reported it to HR and now everyone knows this guy steals people's work. I then said, "Why did you report it to HR? Now you've started unnecessary drama. You should've just let it be and he would've stopped eventually". The friend was nearby and I'm pretty sure he heard it. My dad turned to me and said "He was stealing my work. I'm not going to let that go" to which I said back "But why not just keep the peace and be the bigger person? You've dropped to his level now". He looked pretty mad and walked out. My mom and sister later told me that I was ignorant and unsupportive, I shouldn't have said that to him in front of his friend and of course he was going to report someone stealing his work. Was I being an rear end in a top hat?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Quackles posted:

:discourse: Real gourmet poo poo

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bubblyblubber posted:

Same. Does that mean it was deleted?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Quackles posted:

huh weird how all the people he tells to "keep the peace" are women

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Das Boo posted:

Nah, I can usually find the posts with general searches for the title but some just never seem to show up for whatever reason, even if I happen to run across them while randomly browsing reddit later on.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for telling my date that he shouldn’t call himself a Harvard alumnus?

Stolen Ivy League valor :arghfist:

Trying to impress people on a dating app by saying you graduated from Harvard (via a certificate program), only to match with someone who actually went to Harvard, is extremely funny

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

LOL on OP for being "from that university near Boston" but also LOL on date for bragging about being a Harvard Alum and then whining when it's put under any scrutiny.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quackles posted:

Everyone but OP sucks. Dad's advice is to be a doormat at every opportunity...until it became about him. Her comment should've been met with high fives not oh no dad is mad now, shoudnt have done that. The dad is a little bitch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, it's just funny all around. Like, of all the things you could use to pad out your dating resume, you picked one where if someone relevant sees it, they're absolutely going to make it the big dinner conversation topic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bubblyblubber posted:

Das Boo posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/wedbjh/aita_for_giving_my_sisters_car_to_a_stranger_so/

OP didn't post any comments. Mods decided it was fake and deleted it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

LOL on OP for being "from that university near Boston" but also LOL on date for bragging about being a Harvard Alum and then whining when it's put under any scrutiny.
one time I said I went to college near Boston on an online date, but I was not aware that was a euphemism for Harvard, I just figured nobody had heard of my tiny-rear end university

she was like "so, Harvard?" and I was like "uh... no."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Appreciate! My Reddit understanding is limited to copying the title and googling the drat thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The username is redarmbandfurry for anyone who doesn't feel like looking it up :ohno:

OP explains that she took that name "so foxler couldn't get it". :rolleyes:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my brother that girls avoid him because he says creepy things, not because he’s a “misunderstood soul” like my mom insists?

https://twitter.com/solomongeorgio/status/1554303458999541761

ok who is this, I've rumbled you

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

moonmazed posted:

guy that gets really mad on behalf of the fbi when he sees federal boob inspector shirts

I didn't know if this was referring to the person that got their sister's car stolen or the person defending the sanctity of HARVARD, but really it works for either.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

one time I said I went to college near Boston on an online date, but I was not aware that was a euphemism for Harvard, I just figured nobody had heard of my tiny-rear end university

she was like "so, Harvard?" and I was like "uh... no."

Well? How did the date go?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Captain Hygiene posted:

ivy league people suck so yeah that's about exactly how id expect that to go down tbh. and pretending you went to an ivy league by saying that is just sad, cause gently caress those people in general

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
AITA for cutting the engagement dinner short over a "prank" my fiancé pulled?

quote:

My fiancé Aaron (26) and I (23) got engaged recently. His family insisted on an engagement dinner and my parents agreed. I handled restaurant reservations and menu and everything else.

I also bought a pink dress that cost me 250$. Aaron was against it because he thought it was expensive, and thought it was irresponsible of me to spend that kind of money on a dress even though I paid for it using my own money.

He kept complaining about it day and night, then telling me to lie about the original price if his mom asked so he won't be embarrassed. I told him to stop it. We had the dinner at the restaurant and while we were all sitting I noticed him asking others for their glasses of water. I was baffled but didn't pay much attention. I was talking to mom (his was in the restroom) when suddenly, I felt cold water on my lap, I looked towards him and saw he poured a glass over my lap. he then proceeded to dump 2 other glasses with both hands at the same time at other areas of my dress. I literally yelled out while I quickly got up from my chair. I asked repeatedly "WTF is wrong with you!!!!?". he responded with "what?!?!? I was wondering if this dress was like one of barbie's magical color reveal dresses because of how ridiculously expensive it is!!!" - He meant that he was trying to figure out if this dress had other colors when dipped in water because he thought it was so expensive. I wanted to yell at him especially when he started laughing but the restaurant got involved. I decided to just end the dinner celebration which made him beg me not too. I refused to hear him or his dad out and demanded everyone to leave.

I left the restaurant with my parents and they dropped me off at the apt. Aaron stayed with his family and had his mom leave me several walls of texts shaming me for reacting so poorly over a prank. wasn't sure if she knew exactly what happened til she scolded me about the dress and saying this was my fault for buying an expensive dress from the beginning.

I haven't called him since then though he did text several times saying it was a prank.

So first off, spending $250 on a dress for your own engagement dinner is not unreasonable. You're going to wear it again for other occasions, it's not a crazy thing to spend that kind of money on. Hell, look what people spend on consoles or graphics cards.

Secondly, what in the gently caress? Just pouring water all over your future wife because you didn't like that she spent her own money? What the actual gently caress? She can afford it, I'll bet she looked great in it, why would you spoil that? "Yeah sweetheart, don't ever bother looking nice for me, I'll just publicly humiliate you for your sins."

Third, how in the gently caress is it that buying a (not actually) expensive dress caused the bullying "prank" to happen in the first place? OP wasn't sitting in the splash zone at Seaworld, she was at a nice restaurant. Who this gently caress is this FMIL to judge her on the cost of her own clothes? Reminds me of folks who break something expensive then blame everyone else when it turns out costly to replace.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
AITA for refusing to cook dinner for my family because my mom continuously buys the wrong ingredients?

quote:

Ok, so to start I'm a 24F that lives at home with my parents. I have a job and pay rent, I just cant feasibly afford an apartment where I currently live by myself with my current job. Into the issue at hand, my mother for YEARS will buy the wrong or "healthier" version of something that we need for cooking or eating. IE, sugar free nesquick, margarine instead of butter, fat free versions of anything that don't need to be fat free.

I have one hell of a alfredo sauce recipe, its delicious and I love it. Is it healthy? No, not in the slightest, but not everything needs to be healthy, especially when none of us in this household are unhealthy/overweight. Mom wanted me to make it for dinner and asked what I would need to make it, so I told her. I would need 2 cups of HEAVY cream, a bag of shredded parmesan cheese, a stick of butter, flour, spices, and pasta water. All she needed to buy was heavy cream, and a bag of shredded parmesan cheese, and some butter, everything else we already had. I told her this recipe doesn't work/taste right without these specific things, and not to substitute anything or I wouldn't be making dinner.

What does she come home with? A gallon of 2% milk, and a container of reduced fat grated parmesan cheese, the kind you would sprinkle on spaghetti, and a tub of smart balance butter spread. None of these things were what I needed to make dinner with.

I asked if the store was just out of everything, and she told me no, but these will work better..... ????
I have tried to make this with half and half and grated parmesan cheese before, Its not a fraction as scrum-diddily-ishus compared to when its made with heavy cream and shredded cheese.

I told her that I needed everything that I said with no substitutions and that I wouldn't be making it, and she flipped. She said she didn't have anything else to make for dinner and that she doesn't know how to make it like I do.... Yet, she couldn't follow simple instructions.

Before any of you say "why didn't you go to the store?" I didn't go because she said she would get everything and promised to not substitute anything and just get what I asked for. I didn't care the brand of anything she got, it could be the store brand stuff for all I care, I just needed heavy cream, BUTTER, and a BAG of shredded parmesan cheese.

She's now calling me ungrateful and uncooperative along with a multitude of other things that imply that I'm stupid and have something wrong with me, and threatening to kick me out if I don't make dinner.

SO, am I the rear end in a top hat for not making dinner because my mom bought the wrong ingredients?

OP posted:

my mom has always been really really concerned with everyones weight in my household. Shes 5'4 and like 130s, a completely acceptable weight. I'm 5'10 and 170ish, and my dads like 5'9 at 185. All completely acceptable weights for our heights and activity levels, yet my mother has always bought the sugar free, fat free versions of everything when nobody in the last 15 years has been overweight. I was chubby as a kid, and then grew a foot in 6 months and was no longer chubby. I think she's just mad I'm not twig skinny and eat like a bird like she was when she was my age.

HMM A CLUE!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solkanar512 posted:

So first off, spending $250 on a dress for your own engagement dinner is not unreasonable. You're going to wear it again for other occasions, it's not a crazy thing to spend that kind of money on. Hell, look what people spend on consoles or graphics cards.

Secondly, what in the gently caress? Just pouring water all over your future wife because you didn't like that she spent her own money? What the actual gently caress? She can afford it, I'll bet she looked great in it, why would you spoil that? "Yeah sweetheart, don't ever bother looking nice for me, I'll just publicly humiliate you for your sins."

Third, how in the gently caress is it that buying a (not actually) expensive dress caused the bullying "prank" to happen in the first place? OP wasn't sitting in the splash zone at Seaworld, she was at a nice restaurant. Who this gently caress is this FMIL to judge her on the cost of her own clothes? Reminds me of folks who break something expensive then blame everyone else when it turns out costly to replace.

No amount of money is reasonable to spend celebrating anything with this (ex, I hope) fiancé and his family.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, this one's from a Steam review of SPORE, and dammit, it belongs here.

quote:

This game saved my life.

I am 42.

My ex-wife and I have a daughter together, and adopted our son together. They are now both 4 years old.

When we were going through our separation, I found myself lost and miserable. I was self destructive. I got so mad one day from everything spiraling out of my control that I punched some concrete in a moment of overwhelming emotion. That caused me to break my 5th metacarpal in my right hand... my working hand... my games hand.. the hand that I held and carried my children to bed with.. The hand I desperately needed to make sure I could continue to provide.

After learning of the severity of my self-inflicted damage, I was borderline suicidal. Keep in mind that just a few months before this, I was the happiest man with no history of depression or anxiety. I have never had fits of rage, or been one to break down and cry, but I was in a low spot that just really buried me from being able to see the light on the other side.

Having nothing better to do, I searched for a game I could play, ONE HANDED while I recovered. I somehow stumbled upon this game and read some of the reviews. I decided that it had to be worth a shot... I must admit, I didn't beat the game, or play nearly as long as some of you. In fact, I may have only played this game a day or two.. With that being said, after doing so, I had a new found joy and hope for life. I was able to put behind me the pain and suffering that had been cast over me. I was able to experience other peoples joy and happiness. I was able to see the fruits of my "labor". I relaxed for 5 ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ minutes to this music long enough to realize that I was going to be okay.

After coming to that realization, I turned the game off, and I went back to work. It hurt my hand like hell but I was motivated. I stopped feeling so drat sorry for myself, and I became the father I needed to be in that moment, not the weak boy I was behaving as.

Today, I am close friend with my kids mother. We don't fight, or argue, or say hurtful things to each other. We are parents, and friends.

I now have 3 kids. My third child is, wait for it, ALSO 4 YEARS OLD. The woman I am with was going through a very similar situation at the time of my own separation, and we just stumbled in to each others life unexpectedly. We have been in a relationship for a year now, and are very happy together.

Moral of the story, you never know what life holds in store for you, and if I would have given up when all the odds were stacked against me, I wouldn't be where I am today. This silly little game helped me realize that.

Thank you.

Ladies and others, steam/relationships.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In the long run, spending $250 to find out someone you're planning to spend your life with is a poo poo isn't too bad of a deal

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 2, 2022

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Solkanar512 posted:

1. He is going to marry her, therefore she belongs to him.
2. She belongs to him, therefore she must be obedient.
3. She did something he didn't like, therefore she is disobedient.
4. She is disobedient, therefore she must be punished.
5. Destroying her property and humiliating her is a punishment that will put her in her place.
6. In future, she will be obedient and deferential to his wishes.

He's an abuser. That's how Abuser Logic works.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Captain Hygiene posted:

In the min) long run, spending $250 to find out someone you're planning to spend your life with is a poo poo isn't too bad of a deal

That should be a piece of relationship advice. Buy something moderately expensive that your partner thinks is silly. Do they roll their eyes? Criticize?

Do they assault you in public?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Yeah, she is spending most of the comments steadfastly ignoring any questions about her continued relationship to this dingus, and carefully replying to questions about the prank itself or her MiL-to-be.

She'll post again in a while about her new husband throwing a tantrum, or about her full-face cake-mask at the wedding.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

This was #2 on the subreddit and the brain genius mods decided it needed to be removed

quote:

This post violates Rule 8: Posts should be truthful and reflect recent conflicts you've had that need arbitration. That means no shitposts, parodies, or satires.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wow I am dazzled by the brains of the reddit mods and can't process what the gently caress that means

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Lemniscate Blue posted:

AITA for refusing to cook dinner for my family because my mom continuously buys the wrong ingredients?

HMM A CLUE!

OP is the rear end in a top hat for saying scrum-diddily-ishus

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

OP is the rear end in a top hat for saying scrum-diddily-ishus

yah, everyone knows it's Scrumdiddlyumptious :colbert:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for shutting down future “game nights” with my BF and his friends because they expected us to just sit around watching them play video games?

quote:

My boyfriend and his friends like to play video games together. I have little to no interest in video games. The issue is that for some reason he and his friends think that them playing video games is the most interesting thing in the world.

And you know how guys who are into sports will have their girlfriends come watch their games? He and his friends kind of expect us, the women, to do the same.

I’ll admit that we tried it once. It was boring and a huge waste of time. None of us had any interest in just sitting there watching them play games. But for some reason the guys like, expected that somehow this counted as a “group hangout” and thought it was a great time.

They started to make plans to do it again, and I stepped in and said “Hey you guys can play but we aren’t going to just sit around watching you play video games?” They didn’t get why we didn’t like it, because THEY like sitting around watching people play games and are always watching “streamers” play.

I said if we’re going to hang out as a group, we all need to be like… doing stuff together? Interacting?

They argued back that we could always join them playing the games, and I just said that I know I have no interest in that, and a few of the other women chimed in to say so.

Well, the guys are pissed at me now because to them, I ruined “game” night, which to them was something that everyone could enjoy. I don’t get why they can’t just play games together without dragging bored girlfriends along for the ride?

My instinct is that some of them were using it as a way to pretend they were “spending time” with their girlfriends so they don’t get pegged as being lovely boyfriends.

i wonder how long it's going to take the mods to close this one

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Like clearly, everyone wasn't enjoying it, sooooo...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe he can try ivermectin?

Or coffee enemas like Steve McQueen

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for shutting down future “game nights” with my BF and his friends because they expected us to just sit around watching them play video games?

My instinct is that some of them were using it as a way to pretend they were “spending time” with their girlfriends so they don’t get pegged as being lovely boyfriends.

I can believe this 100%.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I dread to think what an Alfredo made with milk tastes like. I'm sure a skilled chef can make it work, but that sauce is gonna be so much more likely to break with the milk.

Man, now I want a good homemade Alfredo.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
For content, have a story from an unusual source that came across my feed. Title at the end, and try to guess the spoiler!

quote:

There's no real way to word it other than the title, sorry.

I'm an intern and the rest of my team has been pretty swamped because of COVID so it's my job now to take care of the three medical students on my placement right now.

One of the students has an erection ALL THE TIME. I don't know how this is possible, if there's a priapism record he's definitely broken it. I'm sure as gently caress it's a dick print, I'm a guy so I know what those look like.

The placement is surgical so we're always wearing scrubs so the erection is quite visible. That's how I notice by the way, I'm not inspecting everyone's dicks all the time. I also have a knee that doesn't work so I sit a lot and the student likes standing so my eyes are lower than normal.

I feel like I've seen my colleagues notice it too, but I've obviously never brought up "so, the student's dick, huh?". Some patients look noticeably uncomfortable around him.

What do I do??? Can I do anything at all without getting hosed for sexual harassment of some kind? I can just imagine being asked "well why were you looking".

The post's title? I have a medical student with an erection visible all the time. How the gently caress do I bring this up to him?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

DoubleNegative posted:

For content, have a story from an unusual source that came across my feed. Title at the end, and try to guess the spoiler!

The post's title? I have a medical student with an erection visible all the time. How the gently caress do I bring this up to him?

You tap it with a cold spoon. I thought everyone knew this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Im curious if its actually a packer hes got.