Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

GenCon needs to apply pressure. They’re one of the largest conventions in Indianapolis if not the largest, which means they have weight. It’s absolutely hard for them to find another venue, particularly since many of the other plausible cities are in equally red states, but what else can you ethically do?

It does seem plausible that they’re doing this already; I don’t expect that it needs to be public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They made a lot of noise back when pence signed his stupid religious bullshit bill.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I suspect it may be more visible next year - this year I’m not sure how much time there was to change plans.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

GreenMetalSun posted:

The Canadian military, lol, and additionally, lmao.

theres this whole thing about canadians and masturbating aggressively to the fact that some canadians fought WWI by uh, planning assaults and not just "hit with artillery a bunch then proceed with swarming waves of men through no-mans-lands" so now canadians basically view themselves as a tiny crack core of super-elite soldiers. And don't you dare bring up the Dieppe raid!

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
I think they're contracted through 2023. Though it would be nice if they at least threatened to move elsewhere once that's over with.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

According to /btg/, the plot is:

RIPPED FROM TODAY'S HEADLINES!!!!

So he just rewrote "The Turner Diaries" but made it slightly less openly racist?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

JMBosch posted:

I think they're contracted through 2023. Though it would be nice if they at least threatened to move elsewhere once that's over with.

Oooh I think that makes noise throughout the next year a distinct possibility. Good. I hope it continues to make noise and constantly remind people of this, those that need to be reminded.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

theres this whole thing about canadians and masturbating aggressively to the fact that some canadians fought WWI by uh, planning assaults and not just "hit with artillery a bunch then proceed with swarming waves of men through no-mans-lands" so now canadians basically view themselves as a tiny crack core of super-elite soldiers. And don't you dare bring up the Dieppe raid!

I am Canadian and I once drove into a highly restricted military base because no one bothered to close, or guard, the gate. They eventually asked me politely to leave.

These are the guys who are going to overthrow the US.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

GreenMetalSun posted:

I am Canadian and I once drove into a highly restricted military base because no one bothered to close, or guard, the gate. They eventually asked me politely to leave.

These are the guys who are going to overthrow the US.

*puts fingers in ears and hums loudly while staring at a poster of the Avro Arrow*

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

JMBosch posted:

Unfortunately they're contracted through 2026.

I don't know if I think it's fair to expect GenCon to break a contract, in part because I don't know what the cancellation clauses are. I do think it's fair for them to say "look, we have a deal with Vegas ready to go," and ultimately to sign a deal (if they can find one) well before 2026 rolls around.

Cancelling GenCon altogether would be bad for the industry as a whole. On the other hand, depending on exactly what the Indiana legislature passes next week, it might be literally unsafe to go to GenCon if you're pregnant or might be pregnant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You know, putting all the tradgame cons in Vegas sounds like a good idea, actually. Probably not good for summer cons tho.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Given the massive ecological damage Vegas does just by existing it's at best an ethical sidegrade

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also there's a decent chance Vegas won't exist by 2026.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

joylessdivision posted:

So he just rewrote "The Turner Diaries" but made it slightly less openly racist?

Only because The Turner Diaries is really, really racist though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, you can count on me to do a F&F of this, though I don't know when I'll get around to it. I got banned for digging up the guy's criminal record, may as well have fun with it.

If/when you do, make sure you drop a link to it in here so we can all gawk appropriately

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

joylessdivision posted:

Probably. It's funny he edited a picture, boomer-email-chain style, to show AOC demanding his book be banned - it is always AOC - which is something she would not waste political capital on. lol

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If you have the leverage in traditional games to negotiate a contract with a morality clause (something akin to "if [suspect party] publishes statements which might reasonably be considered to negatively affect the reputation of Organization, Organization shall have the right to terminate this contract" ), consider doing so. These are the clauses that end athletes' endorsement deals, for example. Have a lawyer in your jurisdiction help you with the wording if at all feasible. These clauses can be written so that the offending party has a window of time to retract/clarify, if going directly to cancellation troubles you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Probably. It's funny he edited a picture, boomer-email-chain style, to show AOC demanding his book be banned - it is always AOC - which is something she would not waste political capital on. lol
Isn't it weird that the targets of this type of deranged bullshit are almost always targeting women, people of color, or women of color? :thunk: A coincidence, I'm sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A small update to the Phoenix/Stone Thing from their now mostly read-only Discord:

Apotheosis Discord posted:

Thank you for your patience. We have had a lot of questions about the future of Apotheosis Studios, its team, and our projects. While Jamison Stone did step down as CEO to take personal time while Apotheosis Studios did an internal investigation on the allegations brought forth by numerous individuals, we in no way claimed that we were removing Jamison from the company. Having completed our internal investigation, we have found that while some individuals had legitimate complaints, the vast majority of the allegations to date levied against Jamison and others on our team have been proven to be inaccurate. Jamison will directly address major allegations and misinformation within the month. We at Apotheosis Studios do not support abuse in any form. We believe in accountability and the ability for everyone to reflect, learn from their mistakes, grow, and be given the opportunity to show what they’ve learned by actively being better through action. We encourage everyone to stand up for themselves in compassionate ways with the hope to make things better so no one has to live in fear. It is in this honesty that we can learn from one another and each be better for ourselves, our families, and our communities while not furthering abuse, bullying, harassment, and other dehumanizing behaviors. Sirens: Battle of the Bards will be delayed while those who are still working on the project deal with the ramifications of the extreme changes that we have had to make due to this situation. We will be sending out merchandise that we already have in hand for US backers first. Sirens: Battle of the Bards is 90% finished and its contractors have been paid, therefore refunds will not be issued. We will provide additional updates on fulfillment as we know more.

Because there seems to have been some confusion regarding the nature of our operations, we wish to state again that payments to writers started in March 2022 and as new invoices were received, we processed them promptly. All artists and contractors who have completed their work and were authorized for billing have been paid. The only remaining work is rewrites, editing, and layout. This, as stated above, will take longer than originally planned. For reference: we had the following number of contractors working on this project: Writers - 22 writers. Paid 10 cents per word Artists - 4. Paid monthly or per image Graphic Designer - 1. Paid monthly Layout artist - Paid monthly, even when not working on a project Musicians - 2. Paid promptly per song Sculptor - 1. Paid promptly per sculpt The Sirens writing Deadline was Oct 31. Approval passes started in November. Unfortunately, the approval passes took longer than expected which pushed out approval for the contractors to bill by 3-4 months. Billing authorization was issued in March of 2022 and we promptly paid all invoices properly submitted to our accountant. For this project, we provided templates for Adventure Chapters with an 8,450 words max budget. 9 of 22 chapters were over word count 4 over by 1000 words 1 over by 3700 words 2 over by 4750 words 1 over by 7000 words Despite the fact that many chapters were over the word counts outlined the writers were paid for the overages after appropriate approval. Writers whose writing was not used were still authorized to bill us and were paid 10 cents per word. For those of you who have reached out with constructive feedback, we greatly appreciate your support and patience. We will have further updates as more information becomes available.

The most relevant bit being "Having completed our internal investigation, we have found that while some individuals had legitimate complaints, the vast majority of the allegations to date levied against Jamison and others on our team have been proven to be inaccurate" which I'm going to assume was just Jamison asking himself in front of a mirror while posing.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I will believe the writers and others got paid when the writers and others post publicly that they got paid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also the official twitter page features a lot of cheesecake, and apparently in the Patreon he identifies himself as a "Col. Maj" in the armed forces, which is a rank that I cannot confirm exists.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Just lol.

(The uniform is fantasy, and ribbons don't work like that.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NEURO WAR posted:

Please note that I have bought the rights for the Infantry Hybrid Media Universe from my older brother Del, once a known at these forums. To update you he won a lawsuit against several psychiatrists and in separate news was shot and wounded while fighting as a serviceman in a Big Topical Warzone last year. He is fine. I will not discuss the family.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Big Tropical Warzone is my favourite WWII simulator

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Big Tropical Warzone is my favourite WWII simulator

pretty good NAM expansion pack

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://twitter.com/MickeyShuey/status/1554806529475416070

Gencon making noise, though hasn’t made any direct threats to leave.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cessna posted:

Just lol.

(The uniform is fantasy, and ribbons don't work like that.)

Could you expand?

Not cause I doubt you or nothing ; I know you're knowledgable and I'm interested.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

homullus posted:

If you have the leverage in traditional games to negotiate a contract with a morality clause (something akin to "if [suspect party] publishes statements which might reasonably be considered to negatively affect the reputation of Organization, Organization shall have the right to terminate this contract" ), consider doing so. These are the clauses that end athletes' endorsement deals, for example. Have a lawyer in your jurisdiction help you with the wording if at all feasible. These clauses can be written so that the offending party has a window of time to retract/clarify, if going directly to cancellation troubles you.
I don't think GenCon's contract is with the state. Can you make these contracts where if a third party does something you can bail?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In theory, yes, but most people you make contracts with aren't going to want to put in an escape clause based on someone else whom no one can control.

Frakas
Mar 6, 2022
sucks not having actual power i guess

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Xiahou Dun posted:

Could you expand?

Not cause I doubt you or nothing ; I know you're knowledgable and I'm interested.

Felix Biederman is a lefty podcaster and the pic is from a live show election night 2016 where he was stealing valor wrong, on purpose, as an extended riff on Doctor Strangelove.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

since I misread it at first, I'll note for my fellow sight-readers that this says "topical" warzone, not "tropical." Although I find that nearly as vague.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

since I misread it at first, I'll note for my fellow sight-readers that this says "topical" warzone, not "tropical." Although I find that nearly as vague.

please apply the warzone to the forehead

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

Could you expand?

In the US military (and presumably other militaries) ribbons are displayed in very specific ways. There's a whole order in which they're lined up (top to bottom, left to right) in order of importance, they're placed in a specific spot, etc.

If this was just cosplay, as Babysitter Super Sleuth says, no biggie. If he was trying to pass it off as real/his awards, lol no.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It was both cosplay and a celebration of the fact that stealing valour is very funny and good.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I do not give the slightest of fucks if you wear any kind of medal or uniform, but if you're going to do it, put some effort into it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cessna posted:

I do not give the slightest of fucks if you wear any kind of medal or uniform, but if you're going to do it, put some effort into it.

yeah that’s what makes it funnier. Getting rank wrong and messing up all the little details and tassels and fancy stuff for the military is hilarious because of who it annoys.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cessna posted:

Like the guy who claimed Mike Pondsmith was using a pseudonym so he could steal art that the guy himself claimed to have made (despite the pseudonym being a very real not-Mike person) and in one of the weird lists of accolades claimed to have either served as or under a 'Colonel Major.'

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Dawgstar posted:

Like the guy who claimed Mike Pondsmith was using a pseudonym so he could steal art that the guy himself claimed to have made (despite the pseudonym being a very real not-Mike person) and in one of the weird lists of accolades claimed to have either served as or under a 'Colonel Major.'

It's not...impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

thatbastardken posted:

It's not...impossible?

Colonel Major Major Major wasn't even in the service at the time.