Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Randalor posted:

No one has also reached Dancer without killing at least one of her Backup either, and we seem to be doing good on that end. Granted, she also explicitly asked us to spare the Backup, in a possibly-dummied out conversation, so maybe she's a puzzle boss in the sense of "The solution is to not be a murder-hobo, for gently caress's sake".

...was the thing about nobody ever having reached her without offing at least a Backup ever explicitly confirmed? I don't remember. Though it was stated that you usually fight her alongside every living backup in her fights unless she decides to solo, so maybe it's not a case of it being absolutely impossible to kill her while sparing all her cult members in a normal run, it might be that it's just extremely hard to do so.

Grond fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Grond posted:

...was the thing about nobody ever having reached her without offing at least a Backup ever explicitly confirmed? I don't remember. Though it was stated that you usually fight her alongside every living backup in her fights unless she decides to solo, so maybe it's not a case of it being absolutely impossible to kill her while sparing all her cult members in a normal run, it might be that it's just extremely hard to do so.

I think every run's end sheet we've seen specifically listed "Number of Backup killed", I don't think we've seen one for the "joke class" Farmer, which was also noted to have been the most successful.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
re: truck/not-cat tie: :sickos:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

͜͟҉ posted:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ruh-roh Raggy

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/Zz0X2Vi.mp4

The air is so wet with Mana that I gag when I breathe too quick, bubbles popping and making me sneeze. My brain is a symphonic soundstage, every neuron dancing wild from the mutant stimulation of the raw psycho of the land, its glown-invite waters and midnight rainbow powders. The divine Hell of my crown is amplified as well, gravity feeding gravity into my body animating it to a stiff steady divine. I'm exhausted, bug-eye high on the powerflow, jittering with bubble lungs and zero ache. I'm glad there's nobody around who can see me, because I'm walking more ridiculous than the babe I'm awkwardly carrying along.

What does my third eye wide forsee? I can smell the fumes cleaving past hot dark sands; tire exhaust, storm decay, and a pitch black vapor that is strong with hate. It burns, stimulating the animal core that warns it could encancer and erase. I can make out a steep cliff-hill of overgrowth and sands, tumbling into the perfect slope of a mile-wide beach. Not just a beach, but a Beach Party, quintessential and wished-upon with everlasting ready. From this distance I can see a mass of prism floodbrights and tiny glass faerie lights, torches and towers, glo in the dark superplas loungers and umbrellas marked by tide points, dozens of automated booths, a (fearful) ferris wheel, some kind of massive hardened sand pit that looks like a skate park for anything from mice to mammoths, a whole connected multifloor maze of stages for shows, enclosed megatents, fanciful pool-size hot tubs of enchanted waters, and a mass of walkways to navigate broken up by boutiques and arcades. The entire thing gives me a deeply bad feeling. I kneel, stretching out my tired bones while I dig into my pack and figure out how to position it all while I manage to turn the soggy woman into proper cargo. I get it done with my pack holding her in place, my Kadath silks tied like a sling underneath to my front, while I keep my golded sword sand-down slung. I can move effortless, but I need to stoop and swoop to keep balanced; it's a stalker's walk into the party. I beg my body to lean with the sandy-soft-silent.

(DX - Stealthy) 11 [6]+[4]+[2] = 12 - FAILURE [BY 1].

I don't know if... no, I got it. Easy easy. I hup and heft, quiet as the lamb, scampering into the darkness of the blacklight wonderland. I slide down a long slope of sand, leaning to do the scan. Is that- I hear, what is that, an engine? That's an engine for sure, in fullroar furor. Wheels shredding mad. Horrible exhaust in pure outpulse. Where in the sky is that coming from? I can't see because of the blacklit aurora. Not a lot to do but touch the boardwalk road that winds westward through the colorful density, to tear rear end and get ahead of that wretched sound. My crown is heavy with the loud, while I rush with bodytow down the road of a hundred glittering arcade promises. No time! I'm sneaking on a mission. God, what is that smell? It's cloying, the hate of it. My nose is overwhelmed from the sheer acuity of purity in the scent. The wood underneath me reveals little neon sparks in the cracks, guiding me by color among the levels of darkness and sound. I need to keep going west. Should I risk my sorcery to figure out what this awful pressure of that pitch black means? Oh it'd be so easy- but I can't risk that yet. I come upon where the great hardsand pits intersect with the woodwalks, and rush to cut through them and escape to the middle-west of the mile-long width of the beach. I'm not comfortable with how floodlight-white the hard sands are illuminated, but I can see how far west the entire structure extends; it'd be fast and easy to cling to its perimeter and just rush the escape. I study the sands as I run, everything bordered on the south by the boardwalk woodways, with irregular passage back down in at unreliable intervals. The sand pits themselves are a structural lovely, a mass effort that seems to flow through a chaos of raceways, skateboard bowls, flyzips, ramps and hills, the rare loop-a-loo, parking lots, tubes and wheel slits; I become distracted by the phantom sounds of a skateboard I wish was here, and it's a surprise that I let that longing linger without growing frustrated with it. Before I can dwell in further, my steady half-lope is interrupted by the babe starting to loudly cough. She gags and heaves, and I startle unsure of how to silence her. I can't! She needs to cough it up. I gallop out to a huge tube buried into the hardsand trackway, and awkwardly lean and bend so I can hold her head over my shoulder while she spits it up. I wait a beat. Is she ok? Quiet again, no response when I shake her. Ugh. ...huh? The tube is shaking. No, the ground is. Loose sand is shivering! Where? I dash-scuttle to peer around the huge tube on all sides, straining the dark of my sight to see what's approaching. Where?! I can't see anything! The soggy woman is coughing again and I'm running to stand back at the tube and the shaking is incredible I can hear wheels and smell and oh my god it's in the TUBE-

BOSS EVENT LOG posted:

My ears suffer just a little more of that permanent wound. Horns, exhaust, engine, metal, screaming, thunder, vibration. It explodes from the tunnel-tube, something ejected with ridiculous force out into the Mana-humid airs. It's immense, heavy bleeding ruby-black, thick plated midnight loathing. I can't make sense of it; it's flying too fast. It smashes down into the sandy ground and a second later a gigantic bluelight truck is following up on its hit-and-run, steering tipsily as four of its eight wheels lean to strike right into the dark mass. Improbability horror; I'm shaking off the adrenaline to realize, ah, yuh, that truck has managed to get stuck on the bloodied sands, in such a way that it's half squatted on the dark mass. So the truck just... spins its wheels, right into the mass. I can finally make them out in vague- arms, grabbing helpless and wild. The dense dense blood splashing down from the wheelgrind. Legs crushed to metal and pulp. The head, buried under the mass. It's over in seconds. The truck shreds the mass down, the wheels then catching hard and launching it out of the metal blood mud, tearing the head and torso to nothingness. The truck is soaked. Its blue light illuminates the lovely rubyblack of its kill, the corpse of which simply melts away into the sands and airs. I need to get out of here. I scan and realize with wrath that there's no walkway back down before or ahead of me for a good distance, meaning that I need to just evade whoever is driving this thing. It moves with deceptive grace, its gigantic cab swinging around a box of slightly larger size with a constant streak of wishblue bright. Ok. I just need to sneak. I make my way to the edge, quiet as can b-

The babe starts to cough again, loudly. The truck was already turning around, but now it does so sharp and with headlights on high, streaking across me immediately. poo poo! I can't see! I throw up Red's shroud and lean, both truck and I frozen. I can make out something insane happening in the cab but I can't see a driver, just a bizarre pattern of warm agile lights crying thunder like a tiger's yowl. The truck is accelerating, and I keep dancing left and right trying to time and figure out how to swerve out of the way. I do it out of reflex demand, before I can think of the risk- the Silver Mind. I let it reach out to tell me the nature of what's killing me, and to guide my movements.

(!PSI ESP β) 11 [1]+[2]+[4] = 7 - Psuedocritical Success.

I lean again and carefully direct her head so she can cough it out. Is that black water from her lungs? I've already gone left and let the mad truck fly by to horn-scream and begin a swerve. My neurons are pure blue, madlit by the psycho as the Silver Mind perfectly movie screens in the dark to reveal to me that the truck is a Psychic being too. It's self-animate and insane, a killer machine! Left here too long abandoned, soaking up too much of the landglit overpower, driven to smash apart anything it saw moving. The problem is that is managed to get something stuck in its cab, which is tearing it apart from the inside and making it even more angry. It's some sort of- is it feline? Has to be. But it's alien and eerie, nothing like Ulthar. It's so angry! It's not even aware of me, it's driven only to try to murder its way out of the insane truck. Now, the truck is aware of me, especially with my own psychoflare of power I just displayed, and it's going to try to crush me to death. It just managed to run over and grind up the body of something very powerful, the dense blood still drenching its wheels and underside. I am dead if it hits me. I process and assess my psychic fortune, moving while knowing I'm going to be chased no matter what. Will my art of Clouding even help? The truck is superpsychic from the strength of the land like me, it'd just know where I was again right away! What do I do? Think. We've dealt with tanks. We did those. We know those. But this is different. This is a very agile and motivated truck, made more erratic by its violent cargo.

How in the world do I fight this?

(Voting ends later tonight.)

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
While I am deeply curious as to what the heck our Cheeseburger Spirit Magics could do against a massive psychic murdertruck, I went for shooting the tires--I figure even if we don't make every shot, the loss of even one wheel would make it a little harder for the truck to continue its rampage. (Shame about the bullet expenditure, but eh. Gotta be an ammo shop around somewhere...)

It's probably too much to hope that the not-cat would be grateful enough to whoever stopped the truck to walk away without trying to beat up the ambassador of Ulthar. I'm hoping the Mythos Empathy aspect of our Kadath Regalia will provide an advantage once it's time to deal with our not-kitty enemy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for taking the shots. IIRC, the average die roll on 3d6 is 10.5, so a bit too close to the DX check for comfort considering this sounds like a "Do or Die" situation. Even if we don't make every shot, we can hopefully at least make it easier to dodge by taking out some tires, and if we disable it fully, then we can just walk away and leave the cat and truck to their own psychotic desires.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I would be more inclined to do the tire shots it didn’t require 4 checks and wasn’t using our precious fire bullets. Idk if tyranny checks count WRT the “failures will gently caress you up” effect here.

The nice thing about the cheeseburger magics here is that it’s a check we have a decent chance of passing, it’s a single roll, not multiple, and bc of the magic field we’re in, it’s guaranteed to do something dramatic if it passes. It could slow the truck down, or give the truck something else to hit, or make it slip on a big puddle of grease, or something.

“Hitch a ride” is cool but…what are our chances of making that STR check? We’ve been chastised for underestimating our own strength, but even then, 25 seems like a big number.

Also, I think we’re still super beat up. Idk if our body is up for much in terms of physical feats.

So…I think it’s cheeseburger magics. It’s something the truck won’t be expecting. And it plays to the cartoon slapstick of our driver.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

FAT BATMAN posted:

I would be more inclined to do the tire shots it didn’t require 4 checks and wasn’t using our precious fire bullets. Idk if tyranny checks count WRT the “failures will gently caress you up” effect here.

The nice thing about the cheeseburger magics here is that it’s a check we have a decent chance of passing, it’s a single roll, not multiple, and bc of the magic field we’re in, it’s guaranteed to do something dramatic if it passes. It could slow the truck down, or give the truck something else to hit, or make it slip on a big puddle of grease, or something.

“Hitch a ride” is cool but…what are our chances of making that STR check? We’ve been chastised for underestimating our own strength, but even then, 25 seems like a big number.

Also, I think we’re still super beat up. Idk if our body is up for much in terms of physical feats.

So…I think it’s cheeseburger magics. It’s something the truck won’t be expecting. And it plays to the cartoon slapstick of our driver.

25 is our ST score. A bigger number is better, since we're using a roll-under system.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Voted play chicken. What's it gonna do, crash into our head shield for 1HP?
After all we've been through a murder-truck is downright mundane.
Staring down the truck into picking someone else to brawl ought be trivial.

...That, and I have a hunch staring it down, convincing it we're the bigger psycho here will get it off our back for a while.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 29, 2022

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Shooting the tires is definitely the way to go here. We're extremely likely to take out at least two, and we don't actually have a use for bullets that often. I really don't like an IQ check that's a 50-50 chance to fail and maybe kill us, and I like bluffing the thing that just killed whatever the gently caress that was (a moloch?) even less.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Cheating counterpoint - i don't think we can actually lose this, not unless Black August gets tired of this project or we make a series of spectacularly bad decisions, so might as well go for the funnier option of cheeseburger.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arcanuse posted:

Voted play chicken. What's it gonna do, crash into our head shield for 1HP?
After all we've been through a murder-truck is downright mundane.
Staring down the truck into picking someone else to brawl ought be trivial.

...That, and I have a hunch staring it down, convincing it we're the bigger psycho here will get it off our back for a while.

Our head may take 1hp of damage, but momentum is a thing and the truck has a heck of a lot more mass than we do. Or to put it another way: "Our head will take 1hp of damage as it gets shoved into the rest of our body and out the back side"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Randalor posted:

Our head may take 1hp of damage, but momentum is a thing and the truck has a heck of a lot more mass than we do. Or to put it another way: "Our head will take 1hp of damage as it gets shoved into the rest of our body and out the back side"

yeah unless we make that fucker swerve with our raw psychotic energy

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
I was kinda torn between going balls to the wall and vote Lionheart for extreme carnage and wanton destruction funsies but in the end I voted for flipping the truck. Yes we'd lose a lot of HP but I think it'd be repaid right away due to the nature of the Lorded Land we're fighting on. I'm incredibly curious to see how the hell we'd use the cheeseburger spirit animal to counter this but it's a 10 IQ roll in a place where all failed rolls count as criticals... I mean that's just downright suicidal, it's literally a coin toss as to whether we succeed or not, I don't believe it's a good choice in a 'game' sense knowing what we know. We have 9 lives so I believe we could survive the truck + the IQ crit fail but I'd rather not chance it. And the thing about shooting the tires would mean spending 4 out of our 6 bullets. Which is not the worst thing in the world to do but still. We also have the Cat of Saturn in the truck cabin, so stopping the truck without dealing significant damage to it would only mean the cat would be able to come out of it and fight us as well.

I also have to admit I kinda want to see how we'd suplex a truck with the power of Darkness.

I'm also rechecking Beach Bae's stats and apparently she only has 1 speed even though her DX is 20 and her ST is 6... In normal circumstances I believe that'd mean a speed of 6, which is the same as ours, but considering her body is kinda hosed up I guess it makes sense she can't act quickly. Her power also lets her mutate flesh... problem being we're not fighting an organic thing right now, so we'll see if that's useful.

Grond fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 30, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Automated Truck, Manual Hate

Time to hitch a ride. [DX Check 11 + ST Check 25] - 4
Ace the shot. Pop the tires. [!Tyranny Check 13 x4] [-4 Bullets] - 5
COME ON! I loving DARE YOU! (Play Chicken) [Lionheart] - 6
I raise a red fist... (Flip The Truck) [!Darkness Check] [-A Lotta HP] - 6
Invoke one of the Dark Arts of the Cheeseburger Spirit Animal. [IQ Check 10] - 10

...LOADING

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Welp. Let's hope we don't gently caress up the roll...

We also had Vehemence for IQ now that I think about it so that should hopefully be useful.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lmao that was imo by a wide margin the worst one that could possibly win and also

Regallion posted:

Cheating counterpoint - i don't think we can actually lose this, not unless Black August gets tired of this project or we make a series of spectacularly bad decisions, so might as well go for the funnier option of cheeseburger.

never tempt the dm never tempt the dm never tempt the dm what are you doing ahhhhhh

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Coming in late here but ya I was hoping for Maximum Scooter ("Catch A Riiiiide") from a pure numbers perspective

That said lmao cheezburgs as landmines will hopefully be awesome AF + getting all-in on that Vehemence for the IQ check

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I crack my neck and lean with the heavy of my wound. The sword supports me while I quickly reshift the babe's weight, wondering if I'm about to eat a lot of poo poo. The truck is barreling right for me, and running for the wall to try to sidestep it at the last second is one hell of a coin toss. I need life! I need to risk the bubbling of my blood once more. I need to beg for the last of its soothing saps. I exhale, calming my burned brain, and suck in a great lungful of the Mana-mighty boardwalk airs. Come on then. Let me risk it. Let magic roar river through my organic channels. But I need to pull this further, playing the dangerous game of burning even more blood to DEMAND the spell works. It just has to be a little. Only a little of Water's vast intent poured in my own.

「Vehemence」
[-8 HP] = [+2 IQ]

HP: [ -26 / 25 ] [DEATH CHECK]
FP: [ 10 / 15 ] [Poor Painful Sleep]
TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%]
ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

(HT - DEATH CHECK) 15 - [4]+[3]+[2] = 9 - Success!

Yes... yes! I feel it! My thoughts and memory sharpening, blood burnt to instead flood with thought-cooling Water. I keep my heart going through its plea to End, sword held up as I hide my agony, and wait for the vigor. I- wait. Wait my memory is better. Much better. Clear through the pain.

I already forgot the bubbly sap. I already took all of my mitochrondia's recall this strange half-mad morning. Oh, oh no. Wait. Wait. I can't heal, but, the Mana is practically bleeding from my cells and it's gatherting into a memory of magics, what spell am I casting-

(CHEESE [Two Slices!!] BURGER [200% Blend!!] SPIRIT [All-Supernatural!!] ANIMAL [Forever Loyal!!]) 10(+2) - [6]+[3]+[2] = 11 - Pseudocritical Success!!

My body surges, and I fall back as the Mana rips through me with its previous promise of riverforce. I turn-crash myself to the side, saving the babe and my pack from the crush, turning to hold out my sword at the roar of light and blue and horn and-

Hah-

wha

I stand with killready while my watery brain tries to figure out why I'm standing inside of a- wait, is this a mart? No. Yes? It's like the fractal convenience, but it looks a lot more like a, uh, a burger shop. I shiver and messily adjust the babe again, looking absently behind the counter. How did I get here? My magic? Wait- burgers. How did the spirit animal manage this? But I must be somewhere on the beach still, I can feel the Mana surging around pudding-thick. I guess the overpowered invocation saved me. I lean on a counter and gag, ready to pass out into peace. I stare to be first aware, glaring over the counter to assess. Black and gold interior. REAL nice nice like. Leather seating... behind the counter is a chilling sight of a too-clean and stark kitchen gemcell, a weird conflagration of proprietary systems that combines every resource available to make an awful multiplex crucible of flesh-sacrifice bacchanalia. I cough again and spit blood, slowing down as my eyes roll and I nearly fall over. I need sleep. But I have to keep it together just a little more. I can at least limp behind the counter, to try to scoop supplies before sleeping in the dining area. I notice the windows and realize to look outside, the tall gempanes lighting up wishlight blue as the truck slams its horn and flares its lights, right as it smashes through the front and roars through the dining room at deathspeed for me.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]
ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

I only get the sword up. The jagged tip kisses the front of the grill, and then time freezes. I skip a beat, intent alone keeping me statue in my dead to rights, swallowing while I look up and realize the truck was dead-stopped by the impact at the exact place to be counter-front. I need to asses. Act. I have to run back and my legs can't move and, and, there's a cheeseburger on the counter. A dancing little mascot burger, next to a register of crystal black with displays of liquid gold. It says,

Oh. Of course. I have customers, and I have to do everything EXACTLY. RIGHT. to give them good service and make sure they leave with full customer satisfaction. I get to see how the magic happens. I smile with blood drooling down my chin, reaching down stiffly to grab the little visor hat of black with the lovely establishment emblem on it in gold:

I stand proper and like a good little servant, the exception of mindless cheer. The babe is slouched onto the counter as she spasms in her half-dead sleep. I pull her back into place, doing it with gusto and I wrap-tie my suit-sling and wait as if it was the happiest activity in this existence or the last. The truck is reading the menu. Wait, I was told two! That means whatever is in the cab is ordering too! I should check the menu like a good employee, who must have encyplodepic knowledge of absolutely everything with the most truthful and to-the-second updates. I stare at the ordering screen, at first unable to feel the panic that manages to be thrown down from my crown to the enchanted neurons below. This sure is a lot.

This- there's so many entries. Each one has so many modifiers. How is this sorted? Where are the controls? I jerk my head up with sword on the counter when the truck suddenly roars at me. This is it. They're going to order, and I have to get it right.

OST: So Close To Paradise

BOSS FOOD FIGHT LOG posted:

The little burger continues it's eternal countertop mascot dance. It believes it will never stop growing.
The truck slams on the horn to make an angry demand for service!!
I think and remember the steps of service.

1. All customers hate you and wish they could harm you.
2. Any excuse given to escalate will be taken.
3. You must mollify them with total subservience in ritual.
4. They buy your exultation of joy, and the tip is that you get to live.

That's right! Thank you little mascot. The truck is right. This role is for people who should die for not being perfect. So, it's time I be perfect. What can I get for you today?

(!Tyranny - Smiling Service...) 18(-8) [6]+[2]+[1] = 9 - Success [By 1].
[-8 Severe Penalty: Trying to act subservient and happy]

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

I smile with proper posture and clasped hands. I am a victim who will meet your every demand.
The truck makes an order, and wants it to stress you as much as possible.

(WL - Psycho Truck's Furious Order) 16 [2]+[3]+[6] = 11 - Success [By 5].

Oh but there's no problem~! Right away.

(WL - My Compliance) 20 [4]+[1]+[6] = 11 - Success [By 9].

Alright, great, this is fine, the truck wants 8 superhot gallons of MC&D's proprietary Tallowblend of countless fat types, 2 gallons of it cooled, additives on the side, six buckets worth of MC&D's proprietary Bloodblend to spray-and-sip over its grill, and ah, ah poo poo no don't lose the thought, the parasite is screaming for a meal shut UP I need to do this EXACTLY. RIGHT. Think think think what else was that, the gallons the two right right six of the blood yum yum yum yum ok right no poo poo what else think think I'm capable it was um... ah...

(IQ - What was it??) 10 [4]+[6]+[5] = 15 - FAILURE [By 5].

Ohhhhh no. Oh no. Wait. What's happening? I have to keep it in my head. Magic... the cheeseburger magics! I have to just keep walking with the spell I myself cast. poo poo. poo poo. The oil, the blood, what else what else I know it was just there. I can't panic yet. I hurt so bad, my feet are so sore, I need to haul this beach bum around, there is a truck with something inside trying to kill me. Focus! Victory could mean rest. Alright, so first I need to rush to the deepfry and flip it on and twist it to superhot and superfill, tubes fullseal closed. No food to fry, so it can all clean-pour into the little slot downleft where the fancy feedtanks pop in. Okay. This is easy. I'm not even necessary, but the entire point is that something alive is there to be hated and harmed. Something living has to offer the something dead. While that heats, I rush to the processing tubes. Absolutely nothing is wasted, and the proprietary systems finds every reason to sell it with appeal. The Blood Tube sits proud with its monstrous dense glass tubing and gold handles among the black tiles. Buckets... there are no buckets, exactly, but there are gigantic weird-shape cups that can fit the role. I-

Lord-Vampire Parasite posted:

DRINK DRINK WHAT A TREAT
WHEN BLOOD IS FREE AND FRESH AND SWEET
CHUH CHUG THEY WON'T MIND
WH-

NO. Shut up! I slam fist to chest, and exert my heart to crush the corruption into quiet as subtly as I can.

(HT - Silence.) 15 [4]+[6]+[6] = 16 - Failure.

TYRANNY: [ X ][20%]
ANXIETY: [ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][70%]

...!!!

No. No! Oh it's squirming and I hate it I want it to stop it won't unless I just get a little little sip from the pipe! Just ONE! Oh, but I can't, it'll gently caress everything up even more- NO. I fight back with sheer intent, against the overwhelming urge to drink.

(WL - I said no.) 20(-10) [6]+[3]+[1] = 10 - Success.

No. But it costs me. I shiver and shake hard, pausing, leaned over the counter as I inhale and look away from the pipe in tremendous focus. It hurts so much. I want to lie down so bad. But I'm walking. The truck roars at me, its first deadly anger, and I immediately snap back to preparing the blood with red in my eyes and teeth being gently ground down by the clench of my jaw. Good. Service. The buckets are filled, the oil tank is connnected and rated to 2 gallons, while another is prepped at 6. Move. 2 gallons into the crystal cooler. Fill up six. Buckets go on the counter. Get cold tank. Get hot tank. On the counter. Arranged neat and appealing. There. There. It's fine. It's fine. I stand and swallow, and I smile. Can I get you anything else?

(PE - Psycho Truck Flares Its Highbeams...) 14 [3]+[6]+[5] = 14 - Exact Success. It noticed.

Oh. Right. I forgot the lemon flavored glass cleaner.
The truck reminds me of this by honking in so much anger that the buckets and tanks all violently explodes into both of us at point-blank.
I fly back and smash hard into the tiles- no! The babe!

(DX - TWIST!) 11 [4]+[4]+[3] = 11 - Exact Success.
Took [3d - DR 7] 2 Damage!
HP: [ -28 / 25 ] [ow, owwww]

I manage it. I twist and save her from the crush, sliding over the greasy ground. I stand up painfully, suddenly aware I shouldn't have lived. But no, my blood, gone molten! It can't kill me. Only throw me ragdoll for its amusement. I look down and make a weird tired grunt, because I'm dripping with the superhot grease. On my still-raw second-degree'd skin. Red's love... we were both saved by her blanket, and I wrap it tighter around me as it dries away the murderous tallows. God it smells good. I hop and skip with a limp back to the front, where smoke clears with the hardcut of the truck's bluemighty lights. But when I get to the counter to apologize and beg as the ritual demands, I realize that the truck is either knocked out or inert. Victory? It's just idling, absolutely blasted with fried blood and fat- then I realize the cab is broken. One door is blown off. The windshield cracked. The horn is bent. I wait a beat, grab my sword, resling the babe, then slowly, slowly walk to look around the corner of the blown door. It- there's nothing inside. There was something inside, as the interior is a purity of razor shredded carnage, much of singed in strange electrochemical ways. I swallow. The counter's screen is exploded gone. The little mascot is vapor. Is the spell over? Did it work? I walk quiet down the sides and peek, and see the windows lead right back out into the hardened sand pit of the boardwalk! I rush into the open Mana-sick airs, and spin around in time to see that, yes, a mini-restaurant sprung up. I run back out, unsure of where the cabin-held felinish thing got to.

No time to care. Seems clear. So I run down the sides of the wall until I swing back down into the boardwalk, sick with relief and ready to hide inside the dark until I can get out of this dangerous land. How long does this go on for? I can't remember what the babe told me. I was too distracted and sleepy. I know the boardwalk won't go on for much longer, but I don't want to be wounded alone out in the sandy rainbow dark. It's so hard to see through, even for my eyes! I ignore pain and parasite, weight and weary, and all the soothing luxury that surrounds me. No, no. The Silver Mind. It's there, speaking to me, telling me.

The Silver Mind posted:

Rainbows mean All, colorchaos and the madness mix of many possible things. Pure Mana, Pure Psycho, Pure Divine. Things of power roam here, coming in and out of a Land unknown.

I need to go. Now. I'm walking. But I need a plan! I'll walk into something worse if I don't think this through my ruined state. The parasite is still crying and causing me pain, but I fight to open my third eye as gently slow as I can to the incredible psiscape drawn silktight over the false night. I have to trust. Show me!

(!PSI ESP β) 11 [6]+[2]+[1] = 9 - Pseudocritical Success!

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]
ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

It opens! I look to the sky as my skull is drawn up and out to the psychoscape surround. I'm ready to plot through the boardwalk with perfect measure, absorbing the still-wet imprint of mind and memory left upon the land. I know of a safe place to immediately rest in, just long enough to get my wits back and think out the timing of the silvery channels I need to jog. It ends up being a small boutique, darkened but left open from being designed without automation, which means no sudden lights or attractions. I can't see too clearly through the Mana darkness, but I make out the shadowy shapes of racks and a counter I can duck behind, long enough for me to stretch out. Oh thank God. Safe. For just one beat. My neurons are wild with the allowance, pouring for the receive of all reception. I climb up into the thoughts as I lean down to let the babe spawl on the ground, sitting to stretch and feel the psychic high. The Silver Mind is getting awful bright, though. My third eye can't close. I can't-

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, we destroyed the truck with EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE, that's frankly an amazing trick that we should use on every lord we encounter. I bet Hunter would appreciate a nice burg. after being cooped up in that mecha-bird.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Actually our customer service was terrible, we forgot part of the order! Shameful.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Our customer service was so bad we caused the truck to have an aneurysm.

This game is so stupid, I can't help but love it.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Well I guess we just beat the truck... with the power of grease and CUSTOMER SERVICE

And thank gently caress we did because that was dicey

There's gotta be a game out there where you beat your foes by serving them increasingly elaborate fast food till their arteries collapse I'm just saying. It'd make for a nice RPG

Grond fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 2, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:stare:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
:discourse: :burger:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hamsqueezy

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Poor Space Kitty never got to order. (I have to admit, I'm curious what that order would have been...)

I love the mental image of manifesting a burger shop as a battle tactic against one of the Lords... though it seems like it might break the dramatic mood of such an encounter a little bit. :P Also might not work as well anywhere but on blacklight-type terrain.

Here, though, it was sort of nice to get a bit of a mood shift after the Goblin. Market. scene. (And here I'd been thinking the Burger Magic might just be some sort of grease spell to screw with the truck's traction and gunk up the engine.)

Poor, poor Tyrant-aspect, forced to suffer the indignities of a fast food job... with a Very Angry Truck as their first (and only... for now) customer. Overall, the idea of getting through a conflict with an intelligent murdertruck through manifesting a fast food joint and offering to serve it lunch is pretty funny, but that was clearly pretty darn stressful for the main character, given their deep anxieties that they have to do everything right or else.

The character really needs some time to chill on the beach. Maybe with a fruity beverage with an umbrella in it.

Too bad the Cat of Saturn is on the prowl (and probably hangry).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Clearly we should go right back to the Kobold Village, heal up, and then very nearly die to another cursed encounter, gaining higher XP than normal for our current level. Do that enough times and eventually we'll waltz through the endgame.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think the cat would have ordered the My Own Good Taste burger. Still might!

Also I fear we can no longer rely on this trick. As having served a customer we are clearly Management Material.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Do that enough times and eventually we'll waltz through the endgame.

It's actually been stated that there is level scaling in-game in many ways, notably being high-level also makes you notorious and a big target for the bigger fish who you are currently basically invisible to.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

+1 :stare:

0% expected to literally manifest a burg shop. 100% thrilled it went down that way

i uh.... got nothing just waiting for the shoe to drop on turbo-silvermind

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... can the Silver Mind hold a grudge?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Blue Book posted:

“...restaurant portion is only open past midnight, and he’ll only be there if there’s also a deadly weather event at the same...”

“...probably why Alyssa calls it the ‘Philisopher’s Stone’ of organics...”

“...know what triggers it. It’s happened in Jandoubi and Paradise, and it’s always the same image of her mouth censored out with audio of...”

“...find somewhere with a functional laundromat, Napp will...”

“...to match up with the disquieting black-chalk scrawls: one mark each for the crown, forehead, eyes, mouth, neck, heart, and hands...”

“...weirdest. One contender is the tail glitch: whenever you try to ‘use’ the Rat Tail, nothing happens, unless you’re on the Mountain, in which case a pop-up-and-close message from Moulder will...”

“...does significant extra damage, but it doesn’t count as Slaying. The Selenium Sword does count, but..."

“...seems wasteful, but it’s an incredible emergency button. Each sword has its own hidden supertech, and it can be worth the...”

“...changes, but a handful of unique events will do so. The most commonly seen is Nuclear Anxiety, from...”

“...with the Dru-Tan, there's one easy piece of advice: stay the hell out of underground...”

“...believe you unless you can produce evidence, which is why the Deepcool is so handy. There's dozens of meat types that will rapidly go bad before you can cook and eat them, which...”

“...learn which are immediately dangerous, and which are situationally dangerous. Immediately dangerous (that's not Liaison) includes The Kota Homerun (1 FP for an auto-crit); Pop Pop (extremely random damage); Effortless 3 (body-crushing triple tech); -GO TO HELL- (huge damage plus Paralysis); Tha 1-2 Hit (auto-knockout); Slat Slap (undefendable)...”

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Silver Mind posted:

He's waiting outside the tent.

You have never, ever seen the Psychic do that. Your walk stutters micronically, regained to full stride once you accept that he knows, despite this having been a sudden and unintended decision. Walked over to see the Thief and the Dragon. Stole off with Aitvaras to the back of the hill. Mended a lock on the eastside. Had lunch at Hijgan's. Suddenly started to walk right for the tent after having thought of absolutely nothing but how your shadow looked in the cast of the latter-noon Sun. Now you're walking to him, and he's moving! He's walking away, swaying his head to draw those silver-spectacled eyes with knifesoft over your face. You're already swerving in follow with his intent, and you realize with no small panic that what just happened was a psychic connection. He's heading out of town. You're following him down the river. It's been an hour and you've both kept dead exact distance from one another, wordless and outpouring with aura. You stare at the shrift of his sandy-shade hair, blown by tropic wind while the maroon of his uniform impeccable hides all sign of sweated exertion.

You stare directly into his eyes, when the walk ends and you catch up realizing he's turned to take his glasses away. There's just enough intent rising out of the pitch-boil lake of guilt for you to meet his gaze, and keep your face neutral-forlorn. Then, he slays you; he takes your hands and beckons you sit down on the comfortable grass ground, and he holds them careful as he asks; "Have you been fair to yourself?"

I drop my gaze, and shake my head after a one-round deliberation. He's going to be gentle, and relentless. Like silent water gently flooding a room from below, all I can do is draw in air and weep with pray. I just want to keep pretending. Let me pretend and forget. Let me stop thinking. Stop making me think. I can't STOP thinking. It's always there, thoughts racing. He isn't going to ask me if I've been fair to my loved ones, because if I haven't been fair to myself, then I've already done something to trouble that trust. It's just another small evil I hide and hoard from them. Casual self-abuses.

He slays me again. "You don't want my help because you know just enough now of what's wrong that you want to do it by yourself."

I look at him, and he doesn't flinch at my gravity. He's never going to. He's already seen and heard too much. He respects it, but he isn't afraid of it, and he's already standing with tired temptation to see if I'm going to thought-loop myself into more resentment for him because I'm insecure he doesn't fear me. He has me in the infinite silver mirrors - no matter where I try to hide and turn, I'm already there, so starkly bright against my evasive mind. There's the torment of tourmaline in it, the shape of a hand, the damnation that is my self knowing just enough of myself to know my own old tricks. It's Hell, to finally understand your own hateful intentions against yourself. How casually you notice your daily attempted self-murders, the little ones you hide behind the spinning threat of a one-load gun. So I'm powerless. He's too far out of orbit. I nod.

"Am I the right person to be talking to about this?"

Suddenly, I'm cold small with a dread that's so fresh it makes him blink. My hands clammy in his. I've been away so long, but the idea of losing his sponsorship; why am I so wrought with it? The Psychic reinforces our grasp, and his words are silver. "Hey. I'm not saying you can't speak with me. But you're locking things up I'm unable to approach unless you allow me. Am I the right one to talk to about those?" Okay. Okay. I calm down and look at him with even. and I nod. Okay. I can talk to him about a lot. But not- I don't know if I'll allow that out for him. How? I want to, but I won't let it. I can't. I Will Not.

"What do you mean?"

I didn't say anything; he's looking at my hands. There, under pinkrained sky, through shade tropicgreen, I see one hand has moved his to help support the wrist of my other, as it shakes and strains to make a Sign. I still don't mean it. I don't know how to mean it. I don't know how to talk about this. Who can answer? The Psychic can't. Aitvaras can't. Mom can't. Bella can't. The Doctor can't. The Dragon can't. The Thief can't.

But maybe the 8th can.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

"Heeeey dude. It's your turn."

hnm

ANXIETY: [ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][80%]

AWAKE YOU SLEPT DANGEROUS PLACE GET GUN GET GUN IT'S OUT AIM IT AIM IT NOW RIGHT AT THAT THERE THERE HER RIGHT THERE

"Aw. But it's totally your turn."

ASSESS!!!!!!! OK! OK. HER FACE. WHOSE? THE BABE. WHICH BABE? THE- LOOK AT HER, THE SOGGY ONE. CALM DOWN ALREADY.

Ok! Ok. Heart is going to explode. Immediate stupendous death. There's the babe here. Right? Right? Beach? Beach. Wait- it's not magic! There's no more sticky-wet Mana clogging the air! No more beautiful silver symphony. You lean over and gag for a while, sick with nerves and confusion. Your body loudly kicks down another gear as you gag hard enough to make your eyes water.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

The beach-lover wrings her hair in concern, and pats you on the back as you suddenly kick into gear and launch up into a quick gun-sweep assess. Where?! The beach, yes. Nearly night! So little light! No rainbow gloam, just the gray gloom of dark in every direction save the pitch shadow of the Mountain. The waves have really picked up, and there's a strong wind howling down from the sky. It's bizarrely warm. You calm down enough to tuck the gun away and adjust your sword, swinging arm down with the nervous-swift of assuring the babe, yes, it IS my turn. You need to haul rear end to wherever she's taking you. Wh- where are we.

"You did really, really cool with your carry, so, it was my turn, so, I got us to the line. You know? The mojo is gone by there and I just wanna crash to beach party down at the treehouse. Dude. We GOTTA go. It's gonna be so cool."

Wha? You- your head is still completely void-blank. What even happened today? You know you'll be able to see the reflection of it with crystal-silver, but there's just no time! Treehouse! It's going to be so dark soon, it must only be a few hours to midnight! You're still incredibly sore and scuffed, but you're weirdly well-rested and now provoked with adrenaline to not get caught dead out in the terrible All of the Night.

HP: [ -28 / 25 ]
FP: [ 15 / 15 ]

You snap to decision on the warm gray beach. You whip out your red suit, grab the babe, wrangle her onto your back, and tie her into place again while she giggles and kicks. "Woooah, dude! Another carry! This is so cool." You ignore her banter and start to scuttle off with a huff and a puff, limping against your pain now and then while you constantly adjust the babe's scary-skinny weight with your manic sand jog. The darkness stretches past, the Mountain on your left, eyes desperate to pierce the intense of the night for any sign of light. You have to get there soon! It's so horribly quiet. The waves, the sand, your breathing, her slurring; all of it fought to be ignored to find what's hiding inside of the humid airs. But you keep the pace steady, mile one then two and three, with nothing to be seen. Just the somber gray. Then, her hand, wet thin fierce at the nape of your neck. You startle and tumble, flung out to brace and capture yourself in a strange lean, hands in the sands. She's whispering hard; "You hear him?!"

Wh-

(PE - LISTEN.) 13 [5]+[5]+[1] = 11 - Success.

-crying.

Little rodent cries. You want to ask in quiet what why where, but her hand! Auuuhh! It's too slender and it's pinching; she's hissing! Oh, but she's so scared. "THERE! WE HAVE TO HELP! HURRY!"

You comply. Why? She carried you. Don't gently caress this up. She's so fierce now, and shaking in worry. What could it be? Your gun is still near, your sword is still slung. So you race down to the shore, where the winds have gone dead and something has washed up. I begin to walk all-fours down the last steep slope, wet sands pooling under my hands while my hair drags alongside the babe's, and we finally corner the sound. There- yes there! She points and you scurry; right there! A rat? My God, after so many dead; a still-living rat! It's still dying slow, coughing and thrashing while it squeaks. Nails, clawing your nape. Demanding. You rush and get to the rat, leaning down to free the babe but she's grabbing your hand- no, no. LEAN. You do, face pressed too low, level with the thing while her face hovers beside yours, her thinned hands reaching out very slowly before a gruesome reflex SNAPS, and she's grabbed it! Then, you're forced to witness what must be done.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

You're trapped in your force-lean, face level to the terrified rat. She's too close and desperate to share, whispering "Shhhhhh. We're going to help. We're going to save the little drown-drown. Watch. It's so easy. It's SO cool. You get to be a hero. Watch!"

Watch. Her fingers and folding into the little rat. Slowly, slowly, slowly, like working fingers through fine yarn. Slipping, wiggling, working it back and forth gentle-steady. Oh, what did the babe find? She presses - gently! - and then pulls out with a tiny pop. It's vomiting water. She's massaging it now, gently pressing its side and patting its back, resting it sideways to vomit twice. Twice! You gag and hold your lunch desperate because it didn't just vomit, it did TWICE!

(HT - No Vomiting) 15(-2) [1]+[6]+[3] = 10 - Success.

You swallow and look away, erasing the thought of how a rat managed to vomit twice in a single action. The babe is comforting it now, stroking its back as it shivers and curls up, eyes closed with tiny body seizing. You finally force the babe's hand by unbuckling her and setting her to care for the rat, while you roll back and gag down your discomfort. You realize now from this distance that the rat is HUGE. Wait. Is it? she was holding it in her hands before. Now she's just rubbing its dog-sized back. Right? No. You shake your head and brush the sand off, while the babe talks with clear throat. "He's going to be ok. He'll make it back to his nest once he has some strength. He's so brave. We have time, let's just hang out and take in. I want to make sure he's going to be okay."

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

Ok. Sure. You need a second anyways. Miles of running, and you're tired and you still hurt so bad from the healed burns. One moment by the waters. Poor rat. It looks so unhealthy. Skinny, bones sticking through, weird malformations, growths, sickly bloody puffs, twinned tails, deformed skull, elongated neck...

Wait. Something isn't right. It's doubling in size.
Now. It's doing it again.
The rat.

It's doubling.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

“...know what triggers it. It’s happened in Jandoubi and Paradise, and it’s always the same image of her mouth censored out with audio of...”
Oh hey there classic creepypasta thing.

Also i am noticing that Slaying seems to be uh, not necessarily used to mean "Make literally dead" which once again points to the fact that gouing full murderhobo on the lords will not be a productive course of action.

EDIT: you posted as i was posting!
Well hello there doubler, time to run the gently caress away because we have no loving clue on how to handle this correctly AND i am p sure handling this by force will result in death.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 7, 2022

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I see we didn't come close enough to moulder to be considered as missing a chance to also it .. Will this count for doubler should we get out of here without violence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

On the one hand, we are in no shape to gently caress with a Lord right now. On the other hand, we have a liason to his cult with us, we're not on a March to kill him, and we sorta-kinda helped him. Maybe he won't decide to nibble on our mangled meat. It's good to know that Doubler refers to his size and not how many copies of him are active (unless it means both :tinfoil:).

Edit: And don't think I missed that Labyrinth reference, Black August.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 7, 2022