Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blockhouse posted:

if this is true then Batgirl is just the opening move

https://twitter.com/gracerandolph/status/1554556706839052289

There isn't an if big enough when it comes to Grace Randolph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Peacemaker and Diners Drive Ins and Dives on the same service? it's a bargain at twice the price (I don't know what the price is because there's no way I wouldn't use a password I borrowed from somebody getting it for free off their cable or some poo poo)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
In awe of these “Business” “decisions” of all these companies

Lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
WB just announced they are cancelling the Scooby Doo sequel they already finished, spent $40 million on, and sending it to the vault with Batgirl too.

Sounds like someone just woke up and decided to cancel all their already completed projects.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/scoob-sequel-warner-bros-discovery-shelved-hbo-max/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

There isn't an if big enough when it comes to Grace Randolph

Oh yeah she's not very good when it comes to scoops

They just flushed 130 million down the toilet. For no reason. Like I can't even come up with any good reasons to not put the films out and at least try and recoup some of that

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 3, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

The people running this poo poo are loving idiots, so I believe it. Been hearing rumors that Discovery is gonna basically kill off Adult Swim and turn it into a dedicated rerun block, to add to the list of baffling decisions.
"Wait, you need CONTENT to put on streaming services???"- Warner Bros. Discovery execs

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I do feel bad for anyone that liked a thing or was looking forward to a thing and now it all being thrown into a dumpster.

But also loving :laffo: at all of this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

WB just announced they are cancelling the Scooby Doo sequel they already finished, spent $40 million on, and sending it to the vault with Batgirl too.

Sounds like someone just woke up and decided to cancel all their already completed projects.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/scoob-sequel-warner-bros-discovery-shelved-hbo-max/
They do understand that it takes a long time to just start over with content, right? How much money are they throwing in the trash by doing this? I can't even imagine.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

STAC Goat posted:

I currently have Discovery+ because it was 99 cents and I figured why not? And yeah there’s nothing.
Is there A&E content? I'd pay for a streaming service with a full back catalog of all their trashy reality documentaries, I love that poo poo for white noise.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They do understand that it takes a long time to just start over with content, right?
They don't understand a drat thing, they think people are gonna sub to streaming for reality tv

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Streamlining expensive and risky scripted shows when your new company is heavily in debt makes sense. The Batgirl thing is a massive loss of money, but could be somewhat reasonable if they really thought it would damage their DC cash cow brand.

But, burning $40 million on a Scooby Doo movie and then putting it in the vault to never be released after it is already finished makes no sense at all.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Another finished film!?

This is beginning to feel like the new guy is deliberately loving with the decisions of the previous out of spite. There's absolutely no reason not to release a finished animated film. It's Scooby Doo, they release a million of them DTV anyway.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Not releasing a 90 million Batgirl movie because you're worried it will sour audiences and make future DC movies lose >90 million is a somewhat defensible business decision.

...but then to do the same thing with Scooby Doo which doesn't really have that franchise issue? Very strange day.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It feels kind of like the Goofus version of when Lasseter (before he was outed as being a creeper) took over Disney animation: He scrapped a bunch of DTV projects, but not ones that were decently along in production and the ones that were, did come out, he just refocused the division with a back to basics approach that's paid off. This just seems like, as I said in another thread, that scene from TDK with the Joker burning the money, except this dude doesn't get that the 'just my half' bit is a joke.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I don’t even understand where this movie fit in. It was using Snyderverse Gordon but Keaton Batman? Huh?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Presumably Keaton Batman was a result of Flashpoint shenanigans that we'll never actually see.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Maybe the new CEO is a big Pat Hingle fan and couldn't stand for the erasure.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
wth happened with MCU Phase 4? Last month I started getting into the MCU and it was great... until Phase 4. Loki and Dr Strange Multiverse were amazing, but everything else ranged from mediocre to doggy dogshit.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Orc Priest posted:

wth happened with MCU Phase 4? Last month I started getting into the MCU and it was great... until Phase 4. Loki and Dr Strange Multiverse were amazing, but everything else ranged from mediocre to doggy dogshit.

You watched the whole Infinity Saga in a month?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Literally just throwing money away, for no benefit. Can't even justify it by saying it'll dilute another brand. Amazing.

Orc Priest posted:

A bunch of Marvel's big tentpole actors wanted to retire after Phase 3, so they planned to spend some time introducing some new characters. Then COVID hit, loving up basically every aspect of the film industry. I've liked the last three I saw (Spiderman, MoM, Thor) so I personally feel like they've worked out the kinks, but I wouldn't blame anyone for disagreeing. I'm still baffled by Black Widow to this day.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 3, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

omg chael crash posted:

I don’t even understand where this movie fit in.
Neither does DC, and they don't care. So don't think about it too hard.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's hard for me to believe Batgirl was pulled because of quality. I've seen some of the other DC movies like Wonder Woman 2 and Suicide Squad.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

It's hard for me to believe Batgirl was pulled because of quality. I've seen some of the other DC movies like Wonder Woman 2 and Suicide Squad.

It wasn't that the quality was bad, but that it was too good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

StumblyWumbly posted:

What's going to happen to Peacekeeper you guys?
What's going to the shining star of DC tv/movies?

no idea but any DC project that isn’t a $200m theatrical release has to least potentially be on the chopping block

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They better not hurt my Doom Patrol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

live with fruit posted:

You watched the whole Infinity Saga in a month?

That's not even one movie a night. A marathon, but doable.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Man HBOMax was the best streaming service ever for the two years it existed. What a shame. Discovery is just stripping this legendary company for parts. It’s awful to see.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doom Patrol and Titans are probably toast. Peacemaker will probably get a reprieve because of James Gunn.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gunn allegedly had three projects going at max so i bet he's sweating bullets right now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last I heard Titans was actually filming their next season so that will probably happen. Doom Patrol? Who knows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

Last I heard Titans was actually filming their next season so that will probably happen. Doom Patrol? Who knows.

It filming is no guarantee.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

it's insanely funny that the entire TCM catalogue will probably end up on a Discovery Plus tab next to twenty-two seasons of Sister Wives and Next Food Network Star.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

X-O posted:

When it was just Batgirl I thought it was the Cartmanland school of advertising ("The movie so bad, you aren't allowed to see it!"), but yeah, basically Discovery wildly overreached buying Warner and now can't really afford to do anything with the properties they just bought, and the same big brain who made that decision is now just throwing money down the drain for reasons unknown but almost certainly unrelated to the actual film's quality.

It's cool that so many beloved media franchises are now in the hands of such an idiot, after the various Justice League debacles I really thought they'd hit the bottom of the barrel in terms of management competence. Very exciting they found someone even stupider!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Karma Tornado posted:

it's insanely funny that the entire TCM catalogue will probably end up on a Discovery Plus tab next to twenty-two seasons of Sister Wives and Next Food Network Star.

I mean, to be fair, it is just branding. You are actually getting more content by merging them into a single subscription.

Cutting the original scripted programming wasn't a result of a plan to merge the two streaming services. They did it across all of their TV and streaming networks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Karma Tornado posted:

They don't even have the Guy Fieri season (Next Food Network Star I mean, not Sister Wives).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That being said, I don't know why anyone who is a shareholder there would keep investing in them. Their stock is down 38% since they debuted on the exchange after the merger and they are apparently considering just burning a quarter of a billion dollars in shareholder money because ???

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I mean, to be fair, it is just branding. You are actually getting more content by merging them into a single subscription.

Cutting the original scripted programming wasn't a result of a plan to merge the two streaming services. They did it across all of their TV and streaming networks.

there's more terrible content in one place, sure, but they're going to make more money off of people forgetting they had two different subscriptions going than one. Discovery Plus very probably made more off people who never canceled after getting it as a Verizon promo for a year than they do from earnest Dr Zit Exploder or Tragic Overweight Siblings superfans subbing up to get this week's carnival sideshow attraction eight hours early.

I fully understand that they like to tell shareholders about big content hour numbers like anybody is really shelling out for Say Yes To The Dress Canada, though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

gunn allegedly had three projects going at max so i bet he's sweating bullets right now

I think Gunn will be fine. Marvel would probably let him keep making content for them as long as he wanted.

It would suck for all the actors and crew though

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So if I haven't watched the recent animated Harley Quinn show, which Goons said was good, I am now SOL?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MH Knights posted:

So if I haven't watched the recent animated Harley Quinn show, which Goons said was good, I am now SOL?

I don't think they are scrubbing it from the internet entirely or destroying all copies of it. It might only get one more season, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Gunn will be fine. Marvel would probably let him keep making content for them as long as he wanted.

It would suck for all the actors and crew though

i sorry i didn't mean his income, i meant like waiting to see if one or all of the things you have in pre production is getting the axe probably sucks