Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerusalem posted:

Well I mean, he has to enjoy working with you too, but hopefully that just means cool people who are good end up getting regular work in high quality productions, which is a win-win for everybody. Daniela Melchior was really good in Suicide Squad so I'm happy to see her getting to star in another big film.

Two big films. Aside from GotG3, she'll be in Fast and Furious 10.

Meanwhile, I still hold out hope to see Lake Bell as live action Poison Ivy in maybe a Suicide Squad 3 or Peacemaker season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unSkdmpD_r0

Robert Patrick and John Cena already knew each other and his son is a huge Cena fan, which is why they had such chemistry in Peacemaker.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unSkdmpD_r0

Robert Patrick and John Cena already knew each other and his son is a huge Cena fan, which is why they had such chemistry in Peacemaker.

They've actually co-starred in three different things so far. Peacemaker, obviously, but also The Marine in 2006 and even in a 2010 episode of Psych.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
it's crazy watching Robert Patrick turn into an old man so thoroughly. look to compare to this littel baby terminator here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89vlecJUK-g

my primary exposure to him from childhood is from the LucasArts game The Dig which I probably played at least 20 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRNCCkdkMlQ&t=226s

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

it's crazy watching Robert Patrick turn into an old man so thoroughly. look to compare to this littel baby terminator here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89vlecJUK-g

he was 31 at the time. robert patrick has doubled his age since he was terminator 2.

we are all so very old

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Everyone posted:

They've actually co-starred in three different things so far. Peacemaker, obviously, but also The Marine in 2006 and even in a 2010 episode of Psych.

Cena has come a long way since The Marine. His dialogue was mostly “America!” “Beef!” “Fight!”

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
How could one forget "THEY'VE GOT A HOSTAGE - IT'S MY WIFE"?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Edward Mass posted:

How could one forget "THEY'VE GOT A HOSTAGE - IT'S MY WIFE"?

Some strong Troll 2 energy there.

My "favorite" aspect of The Marine was the way that physics and probability worked differently in that world. Pretty much every location in the movie ended up on fire and exploding except for the barn meth lab - the one place which in our real world would be most likely to catch on fire and/or explode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about The Marine movie series is that they were originally going to have Randy Orton star in the third one because he actually was in the Marines. Until someone pointed out that maybe it wasn't a good look for it to star a guy who was dishonorably discharged.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Everyone posted:

Some strong Troll 2 energy there.

My "favorite" aspect of The Marine was the way that physics and probability worked differently in that world. Pretty much every location in the movie ended up on fire and exploding except for the barn meth lab - the one place which in our real world would be most likely to catch on fire and/or explode.

So many films and shows make perfect sense if you just assume that physics are tweaked a little. Action movies? They exist in a universe where humans are more durable, so flying 20 feet into a wall faster being kicked in the sternum doesnt break every bone in your body.

Easy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Caros posted:

So many films and shows make perfect sense if you just assume that physics are tweaked a little. Action movies? They exist in a universe where humans are more durable, so flying 20 feet into a wall faster being kicked in the sternum doesnt break every bone in your body.

Easy.

John McTiernan: Well this sounds like a billion dollar idea.
Columbia Pictures: Given your track record, and with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the lead, we'd be FOOLS not to greenlight this!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Caros posted:

So many films and shows make perfect sense if you just assume that physics are tweaked a little. Action movies? They exist in a universe where humans are more durable, so flying 20 feet into a wall faster being kicked in the sternum doesn't break every bone in your body.

Easy.

Well, sure, that. But my thing wasn't all the stuff that exploded. It was that the meth lab specifically did not explode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jerusalem posted:

John McTiernan: Well this sounds like a billion dollar idea.
Columbia Pictures: Given your track record, and with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the lead, we'd be FOOLS not to greenlight this!

They would have been fools not to. The critics and viewers ended up being the fools, in this specific example.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

A funny thing about The Marine movie series is that they were originally going to have Randy Orton star in the third one because he actually was in the Marines. Until someone pointed out that maybe it wasn't a good look for it to star a guy who was dishonorably discharged.

There's a UK broadcaster named Pete Donaldson that relayed an anecdote about interviewing Randy on the radio. He made a crack about how Randy should hide in his grandmother's basement for some reason, which is supposedly something he did when he was AWOL. He said Randy sat in his chair staring him down with a blank look on his face during the entire commercial break.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm getting very concerned about the future of this show. The new owners of HBO are allegedly going to fold that content into Discovery Plus instead of the other way around. They are also stopping development on a lot of HBO Max's planned content. There was also the news today that they are shelving the mostly finished Batgirl movie and not releasing it at all instead of on HBO Max as planned.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm just not a corporate genius because I don't see how getting rid of everything good could ever make for a successful service or company.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm getting very concerned about the future of this show. The new owners of HBO are allegedly going to fold that content into Discovery Plus instead of the other way around. They are also stopping development on a lot of HBO Max's planned content. There was also the news today that they are shelving the mostly finished Batgirl movie and not releasing it at all instead of on HBO Max as planned.

it doesnt sound like they ever planned or wanted to go beyond 2 seasons anyway thanks to Cena and Gunn having such busy schedules, so hey, we'll probably get a good satisfying ending to s2 as HBO burns to the ground around it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

it doesnt sound like they ever planned or wanted to go beyond 2 seasons anyway thanks to Cena and Gunn having such busy schedules, so hey, we'll probably get a good satisfying ending to s2 as HBO burns to the ground around it

S2 followed by a The Suicide Squad sequel that either kills of Peacemaker or has him walk off into the sunset only to reappear when a cameo is needed.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Batgirl is such a massive loss they're better off writing it off completely for tax purposes over whatever pennies they'd make dropping it on Max.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You guys are very optimistically believing season 2 is still happening

Given WB seems intent on killing all of its scripted HBO Max content, I'm not sure.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s a shame I liked the kinda stuff they were putting out on it. Specially since I’m getting it for free.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm beyond pissed this merger was allowed to happen. gently caress discovery, they are running what was imo the single best streaming service into the ground and it's probably going to be 90% unscripted dreck in a years time. RIP HBO max.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

You guys are very optimistically believing season 2 is still happening

Given WB seems intent on killing all of its scripted HBO Max content, I'm not sure.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1554611086434807808?t=H3amTMrb0_wWRD7hhcu9Hg&s=19

its okay the bad exec man can't hurt you here

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

They literally cancelled a TBS sitcom the night it was supposed to air. Until the show is out, I trust nothing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

They literally cancelled a TBS sitcom the night it was supposed to air. Until the show is out, I trust nothing

They also canceled the new Scooby Doo movie which was another 40 million they'll use to write off on taxes. That's over 130 million total thus far. Scooby didn't even have the "excuse" that Batgirl did that it was so awful it would melt your eyeballs or whatever.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t follow this kind of stuff, what the gently caress? If S2 doesn’t happen I’ll be so sad

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rewatching Patriot and it occurs to me how funny Chris Conrad would have been as Vigilante. Not to take anything away from Freddie Stroma, but that same unhinged energy from a dude in his fifties would have hit different.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

i am a moron posted:

I don’t follow this kind of stuff, what the gently caress? If S2 doesn’t happen I’ll be so sad
Nobody knows because I’ve never heard of a company buying a media company and then just scorched-earth canceling a ton of their projects

When Disney bought Fox, they still released projects that were already completed.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._Discovery#Beginning_of_operations_(2022%E2%80%93present) posted:

In an introductory town hall featuring Oprah Winfrey as host, Zaslav stated that the combined company would need to have "one culture" that "starts with people feeling safe, people feeling valued for who they are", as opposed what he described as a culture of internal competition between WarnerMedia's businesses. He also expected that "investment avoidance" via the consolidation of redundant business units (such as streaming) and staff would be one of the main ways that the company would achieve its promised $3 billion in cost savings.[37]

Cutting costs... staaaaarting now... starting now. Now.

Edit: Starting now

itry fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 3, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

itry posted:

Cutting costs... staaaaarting now... starting now. Now.

Edit: Starting now

Starting now!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nobody knows because I’ve never heard of a company buying a media company and then just scorched-earth canceling a ton of their projects

When Disney bought Fox, they still released projects that were already completed.

And they’re still releasing the movies starring Amber Heard and Ezra Miller while throwing away anticipated, basically finished projects as tax writeoffs. It’s a baffling way of running a media company.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Peacemaker is one of those shows I’ve convinced 10+ people I know to watch and almost to a person they loved it. I can’t imagine throwing away something that is so easily recommended and enjoyed even by people who are fed up with superhero media (or never engaged with it in the first place).

The other recent one is Severance. They’re like top ten shows all time for me, one of them biting the dust this early would really bum me out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

And they’re still releasing the movies starring Amber Heard and Ezra Miller while throwing away anticipated, basically finished projects as tax writeoffs. It’s a baffling way of running a media company.

I mean, it makes sense financially. Any property that can't make the write-off earnings in the mid-term is just a straight profit/loss plus to kill off since the investment cost is already sunk. If they put it on streaming it remains an asset and can't be written as a loss.

It's some proper post-merger bullshit that wouldn't have been possible without it though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

I mean, it makes sense financially. Any property that can't make the write-off earnings in the mid-term is just a straight profit/loss plus to kill off since the investment cost is already sunk. If they put it on streaming it remains an asset and can't be written as a loss.

It's some proper post-merger bullshit that wouldn't have been possible without it though.

They should probably cancel the movie where the star is going Waco then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would be surprised if Flash comes out

Aquaman 2 will absolutely come out because Heard is not a huge part of the franchise and there’s a big difference between her case and the Ezra Miller nonsense

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eagerly awaiting Flash being released and underperforming Morbius.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

MiddleOne posted:

Eagerly awaiting Flash being released and underperforming Morbius.

I loved the scene where the Flash says "It's Flashin' Time" and Miller whips their costume off!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I can't believe that Discovery's leadership is even dumber than Warner's but here we are

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

They also canceled the new Scooby Doo movie which was another 40 million they'll use to write off on taxes. That's over 130 million total thus far. Scooby didn't even have the "excuse" that Batgirl did that it was so awful it would melt your eyeballs or whatever.

Write off on taxes = stealing from the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

I mean, it might have. It was a sequel to Scoob.