Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pastor of muppets posted:

I have a very specific memory of my parents getting our first computer in 97/98 and shopping for a roll top desk for it. In one of the catalogs, they had desks that looked like a normal roll top, but had a space underneath to hold a CRT so that it was hidden beneath the surface and tilted up with a piece of glass covering it.

Outside of the terrible ergonomics I can’t imagine they were a hot seller since GIS doesn’t turn up any pics of one in action, just this one without a monitor.

giving a select few people Smartphone Neck twenty years early!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I have a very specific memory of my parents getting our first computer in 97/98 and shopping for a roll top desk for it. In one of the catalogs, they had desks that looked like a normal roll top, but had a space underneath to hold a CRT so that it was hidden beneath the surface and tilted up with a piece of glass covering it.

Outside of the terrible ergonomics I can’t imagine they were a hot seller since GIS doesn’t turn up any pics of one in action, just this one without a monitor.

What’s all those little drawers used to store other than “whatever”? Like is there a common use case for something like that?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

In my parents' case they were full of expired credit cards they were too paranoid to cut up and put in the trash lol

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

What’s all those little drawers used to store other than “whatever”? Like is there a common use case for something like that?

Then: Each of your phone chargers and matching cables, and spare car chargers. An old serial cable. An old parallel cable. The installation manual for your sound card. An ink cartridge for a printer you've never owned. An empty typewriter ribbon case.

Now: Old thumb drives, and A-A, A-mini B, A-micro B, A-B, double A-A, 3.0 A-micro B, 3.0 A-B, A-C, C-C charge only, C-C 2.0 charge+data, C-C 3.0, A-Apple, C-Apple, A-Fitbit, and A-Magsafe USB cables. A micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor. A mini HDMI to HDMI adaptor. A HDMI to DVI-D adaptor. Some wierd Displayport thing. The USB-C hub that sort-of works, which you keep because no-one can find the one that works. One cable that you don't know what it does because it looks like A-1/8th inch male and you don't know what it does but you'll never find another one if you throw it away so you keep it in case you need it. An ink cartridge, even though you only have a laser printer.

(I do not have, and did not have, a desk with lots of little drawers, but I lust after one)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I remember loving this but the only cast member i recognized was the fat guy from Jurassic Park. Kinda crazy the cast is fully made up of people who went on to do massively popular stuff.

Also the casting was exactly 90s sketch show casting.

The fat guy! The crazy lady! The black guy! And then the guy who can do all the voices and a hot lady for when a sketch requires you to be attracted to the woman in it

My dad has his roll top desk, and I hope i'll have a place to live after my parents pass so I can get it. its not big enough to put a computer on, but like, I guess I could build and paint miniatures on it?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
All the (now unmanned) security desks at my old work had the glass top and monitor mount underneath. I assume they had camera feeds shown on there. The ergonomics of that must have been awful, you can't see what's in front of you while looking at the screen.

They had moved all security operations to a central office at some point. The control panels were still in place, so they could post a guard for special events or something.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

My parents still have a desk like this, though I also don’t have any pictures that show it being used as intended.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Before flatscreens became widespread I once spent time at a school with a computer lab where the CRTs were set up in desks like this, but thankfully much more ergonomic and not that nightmare card catalog draw set you've got back there

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I like the little drawers! If I had that desk, each drawer would be for a different kind of USB cable.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Internet!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
If you just use a laptop as your main, I could see a desk like that being very practical; aside from that goofy-assed monitor set up that's a gorgeous desk. Or a smartphone dock with a full-sized keyboard.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Yo mc cowseller!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tKAiydhUCM

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

We had one of those proper record stores, where half was cds, and the other half was vinyls and rare import stuff with some shirts. Everything you bought from there still reeked of incense a week later.
I miss it. I discovered Type O there when i bought the CD single for Cinnamon Girl and it was the greatest thing 15 year old me had ever stumbled on. I made a tape of October Rust and Bloody Kisses so i could listen to them in my car and just played them until they didn’t play no more.
I love iTunes or whatever, but the magic was nice.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I had a place like that, it was the only brick-and-mortar place around that had the Richard D. James Album; years before, I had to get SAW vol II and I Care Because You Do through BMG, ugh

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Eff BMG and their whole sending the same Silverchair album repeatedly :mad:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, too easily and often did they prey on naive chumps like me :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pictures you can smell

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Heath, you know what's coming next

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33MGYUouEE4

Honestly did not realize it technically charted twice, and it's the second wave that everyone experienced if you weren't a club-goer in 1995.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

We had one of those proper record stores, where half was cds, and the other half was vinyls and rare import stuff with some shirts. Everything you bought from there still reeked of incense a week later.
I miss it. I discovered Type O there when i bought the CD single for Cinnamon Girl and it was the greatest thing 15 year old me had ever stumbled on. I made a tape of October Rust and Bloody Kisses so i could listen to them in my car and just played them until they didn’t play no more.

it was more of an independent spencer's gifts than a record store but my town had a shop whose ad i can still hear in my head like it's on right now: "it's HIPsterrrrrrrrs in dowwwntowwwn NAPErvillllllllle"

bought a presidents of the united states of america shirt there and yes the incense smell was very real

we also had a record store that was just in some guy's house, his first floor like front room was all cds and vinyl. famous among local punks, it was the only place that stocked any kind of punk or hardcore. all the vinyl was just random poo poo that he found and sold by the pound. he eventually closed because all he actually cared about was repairing stereos and vacuums.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly did not realize it technically charted twice, and it's the second wave that everyone experienced if you weren't a club-goer in 1995.

third wave if you grew up speaking Spanish

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ok Comboomer posted:

third wave if you grew up speaking Spanish

The things I'd rather do than work right now...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ninjahedgehog posted:

As this was a Billboard Hot 100 #1, it's covered in Tom Breihan's excellent series over at Stereogum:

https://www.stereogum.com/2184095/the-number-ones-los-del-rios-macarena-bayside-boys-mix/columns/the-number-ones/

Oh, hey, 26 years ago tomorrow.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have a memory of Regis and Kathie Lee dancing the Macarena outdoors during one of their shows.

It's the moment I realized that the Macarena and its dance trend was completely played out, even at age 12.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I have a memory of Regis and Kathie Lee dancing the Macarena outdoors during one of their shows.

It's the moment I realized that the Macarena and its dance trend was completely played out, even at age 12.

The only time Al Gore ever showed a bit of personality was when he promised to do his own version of the Macarena.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I worked at HMV for about a decade, and yea it started like that, there were no records, because this was the early 2000s and record collecting was a dad thing, but it was mostly cds with a handful of more and more dvds. The only merch was band stuff, mostly Tshirts but there were Beatles keychains and Aerosmith fridge magnets. But as I worked there I saw the creep of the other merch. First it was movie and TV stuff. Okay yea an Iron man shirt or a Darth Vader mug, that's still cool. but then the random junk started coming in and then there were funkos.

Also I remember in the 90s paying like 20bux for a cassette tape. That has to be like 30bux these days.

ninjahedgehog posted:

This solved a mystery for me. I remember seeing an extremely horny Macarana video a lot, and then it had these old guys in it and wasn't nearly as horny. And when I say horny, i don't mean just hot ladies in skimpy clothes, but like they were all rubbing up against each other wearing tiny thongs. You didn't see that on Much Music in the middle of the day at that time. I always figured what happened was they shot the video with the young hot people because no one wanted to see old guys singing their hot dance track, something that was pretty common at the time, a lot of the women in dance videos were not the ones singing the songs. One of the women from the Weather Girls sung on a ton of dance hits in the 90s but was always replaced in the videos with someone young and thin. Anyways, I figured thats what happened, but nope, a completely different version of the song. I can't find the video on youtube, there's just a very lame version on there.

I was trying to remember another popular song from Spain that showed up in the late 90s but it turns out the Ketchup Song was from 2002.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I found this a few years ago at a Saver's:

The booklet got wet at some point and is impossible to open so I have no idea if there is any more rambling coffee shop poetry in the interior.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

no pubes yet sorry posted:

The booklet got wet at some point and is impossible to open so I have no idea if there is any more rambling coffee shop poetry in the interior.

I have that CD, bought it when it came out, I’ll have to look inside the booklet when I get home tonight.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I have that cd. There's also a hidden Nirvana track. Sappy, but mislabeled as versechorusverse

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'll throw myself on the pile of goons that have that CD, I got it at a used CD store. In the late 90's I was on a mission to collect all the non-album Soundgarden tracks. I managed to collect about 2/3 of them on the kind of funds I had when I was 17.

There was also a version of No Alternative with a boy instead of a girl, the track list was identical.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

twistedmentat posted:

something that was pretty common at the time, a lot of the women in dance videos were not the ones singing the songs. One of the women from the Weather Girls sung on a ton of dance hits in the 90s but was always replaced in the videos with someone young and thin.

Let's not forget the same treatment of the singer for Black Box.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ambitious Spider posted:

I have that cd. There's also a hidden Nirvana track. Sappy, but mislabeled as versechorusverse

That's the only reason I bought that CD.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That'd be Martha Wash, probably best known for It's Raining Men.

https://www.stereogum.com/2165813/t...he-number-ones/

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Aug 3, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That's very 90s; "you're alternative, man, you listen to the music that they call alternative, you don't do the mainstream, you're so alternative." I remember being asked by a teacher in high school "what does Alternative music mean" which i couldn't really say, because i didn't know, i just was using the label that MuchMusic and the Radio put on it.

Reminds me of the BNL song and video that pokes fun at the whole thing, in a polite Canadian way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ilI6O6ZTiQ

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yea her too.

Phanatic posted:

That'd be Martha Wash, probably best known for It's Raining Men.

https://www.stereogum.com/2165813/t...he-number-ones/

Yea, that's who sung a lot of them. She was both on Black Box and C + C Music factory.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i too had a copy of that. and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7sD0wDy1JA

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Pretty slick way to get people to buy a comp of z-sides.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
How does one even define alternative aside from "not mainstream"? I've always been a huge fan of the genre but never really knew how to explain how it differentiates.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Framboise posted:

How does one even define alternative aside from "not mainstream"? I've always been a huge fan of the genre but never really knew how to explain how it differentiates.

"Sad songs, but not necessarily sad love songs"

Trabant has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Framboise posted:

Pop for men