Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, but you can also do that with a phone or, a hacked Vita, or a cheapo Anbernic.

And your experience will depend on your Wi-Fi. It’s been crap for me. Fine 80% of the time, but the sporadic signal deterioration makes it an unpleasant experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm torn. I just got the email saying "pay us the money, or you lose your place" but I don't know if I want it that badly. The fan sounds loud, and the batter needs to be swappable like my 2000s digital camera. Maybe wait a bit until the next hardware cycle until valve decides to fix that.

But goddamn it would be nice to play Elden ring on my couch. Or install an emulator so I can play Wind Waker on a handheld device. Nintendo sure as hell won't let me do it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The fan on my Q3 Deck is practically silent. That upgrade seems achievable without a new SKU, at least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Yeah, I'm torn. I just got the email saying "pay us the money, or you lose your place" but I don't know if I want it that badly. The fan sounds loud, and the batter needs to be swappable like my 2000s digital camera. Maybe wait a bit until the next hardware cycle until valve decides to fix that.

But goddamn it would be nice to play Elden ring on my couch. Or install an emulator so I can play Wind Waker on a handheld device. Nintendo sure as hell won't let me do it.

People have been able to flip them on ebay fairly easily, if you're a scumbag.

I would say it's absolutely worth it, solely for being able to emulate basically anything without much of a problem.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

You can passively boycott whatever device you want, but swappable + rechargeable batteries aren't coming back to consumer electronics for the foreseeable future. That's a bizarre hill to die on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't hear the fan at all fwiw

jokes posted:

Worst things about it: only about 80% of games are on it, and I like to play games that aren't controller-focused, such as total war games.
Yeah but honestly almost all of those games can be made to work with the right config. Total War I think could work especially well since its not very microy and it has a pause button in the worst case. That's what I like about this thing vs an Aya Neo or GPD or whatever, because with those things you are legitimately hosed if games don't have gamepad support where there's a lot more flexibility to map stuff on the Deck just by virtue of the touchpads and extra buttons.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Infinite Karma posted:

You can passively boycott whatever device you want, but swappable + rechargeable batteries aren't coming back to consumer electronics for the foreseeable future. That's a bizarre hill to die on.

Oh for sure in most cases. But Valve was pretty clearly trying to make things as user swappable as possible so it's just weird they didn't work harder to get that easier to swap out for users. Honestly the joysticks and battery are the only things I'd be worried about with longevity on this thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Buy it, play it, if you don't like it make money off of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Oh for sure in most cases. But Valve was pretty clearly trying to make things as user swappable as possible so it's just weird they didn't work harder to get that easier to swap out for users. Honestly the joysticks and battery are the only things I'd be worried about with longevity on this thing.

The sticks are super easy to swap.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah they did weirdly go out of their way to make the joysticks user serviceable but not the battery. I'm just hoping that by the time I need to replace the battery a couple years of heat will have softened the glue enough to make it easier to pull out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The battery thing is a little weird because it seems like they could've found a way to seat the battery without relying on a ton of glue. It's a super-bulky device, not an iPhone, and so much of it was already designed for repairability.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinite Karma posted:

tbh the only bizarre thing is that the deck battery isn't more easily replaceable, given how much of the rest of it was basically custom built to be easily accessed/swapped right down to the joysticks on breakout boards

it's like some engineer at valve had a gluestick and wouldn't stop throwing a tantrum until they let him use it on something

efb mostly

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tiny Timbs posted:

The battery thing is a little weird because it seems like they could've found a way to seat the battery without relying on a ton of glue.

They literally could have gone the laptop route and used screws to hold the battery in place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Or a latch and a foam pad

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rez is fantastic on the Deck. With headphones, of course. Will this game ever age?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

The sticks are super easy to swap.

Doesn’t it require soldering

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

AFAIK no. It’s a simple swap.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Copper Vein posted:

Is there a way to factory reset this thing and have it fetch another update? Or do I have to find a way to connect a USB stick to it and provide the software to it?
I wouldn't blame you for straight-up RMAing the unit, but if you have a USB-C hub or are looking to buy one anyways you can try the recovery image first. That will likely work and be the fastest way to get going, but if it's a bad SSD that won't work either.

I work with preimaged Linux devices for my day job and these kinds of issues come up around 1 in every 500 devices or so. So it's fairly uncommon, but happens.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Had a look on ebay for drecks in Australia, starting at 2400 lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jokes posted:

Only if you're replacing it with the aftermarket hall effect joystick, or trying to replace just the stick cap without swapping out the whole module. Its an easy solder though, if you are doing that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Only if you're replacing it with the aftermarket hall effect joystick, or trying to replace just the stick cap without swapping out the whole module. Its an easy solder though, if you are doing that.

If you just want to replace the whole stick it’s very easy

This is a 2:30 video on it.

https://youtu.be/6jQLL1IHDk8

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but if you're actually going through the trouble of replacing it you should probably just get the hall effect board instead anyway.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So I was able to get back to my Deck and get it running. I dug out a USB C-A adaptor and put the Steam OS software on it and installed it. Then the Deck hung up for 30+ minutes trying to install OS updates over WIFI but seeming to make zero progress; I got past that by exiting out of the update and telling it to reconnect.

No idea what happened to this thing out of the box. I was using a USB-C to Cat 6 adaptor when it was pulling the initial update. Maybe that adaptor hiccuped at an inopportune time and made the update stroke out is the only thing I can think of. Still a really lovely experience right out of the gate.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, that sucks. Glad it's working now.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Yeah but if you're actually going through the trouble of replacing it you should probably just get the hall effect board instead anyway.

I already ordered this. Looking forward to get rid of the large center dead zone

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

forest spirit posted:

there should be a thread poll on how much use anyone's deck gets, because I either hear people love them for planes or they don't touch them after the initial setup and new toy factor

I'm not using it as much as when I first got it but I'm still playing on it at least two or three evening sessions a week.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
from a battery cycle standpoint, the deck isn't great since you can go from 100-0% in less than two hours on more demanding games
my understanding is that li-ion batteries start to degrade noticeably once you've hit 300-400 cycles so that could be a year or two of gaming

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

HopperUK posted:

Can you elaborate on what you're not liking about the Deck handheld? I've never even seen a PSVita I don't think, I'm not trying to be a dick, I really don't know what's so good about one.

Sure thing! Well first the form factor is a lot smaller and actually is portable. I can carry it comfortably in my pocket vs the steam deck that needs to be carried in the carrying case with its charger.This may not seem like a big issue but if the main point is portability, then the steam deck is def not as portable. It's cumbersome compared to the Vita. On top of this, I find the ergonomics to not suit me. Sure I can buy cases to fix that issue, and I will, but that won't fix how heavy this thing feels after a while.

Secondly, the screen quality is way worse than the psVita. It's a noticable quality difference and I am not even using the OLED Vita. I have walking dead on both the vita and steam and the game colour depth is much deeper on the Vita.

On top of that, the software is still lacking. I just want things to work, I don't want to tinker, I don't want to adjust, I just want to go. With the steam deck the majority of my hours so far have been with tinkering to get my library to work and needing to retinker once a new update comes out. With my Vita, everything just works.

Emulation. It's way easier to set up on the Vita albeit you can't play anything after PSP. However, that's still a large library plus Vita had a lot of great PS2 gen ports as well as PC ports. I'm more than happy to sacrifice later gen emulation just to be able to have the portability. If I want to emulate newer games, I'll just use my PC.

Also, PC games can be super graphically intense and detailed. I tried playing GoW and Horizon zero dawn portably and I felt sick to my stomach because of how much eye strain the games graphical detail was causing me. The screens way too small for detail like that. And yes, you can argue the Vita/switch has games like that but I hate them as well. The best portable switch games are games like BoTW where the graphics have good contrast and low details but still good quality. For the Vita, most games are good at balancing this too. On the Deck, there is no balance , feels like trying to focus on the sharp end of a moving needle with those games. And when you factor out all those games, the steam deck library and vita library are similar enough that you can get the game play experience you want on either.

Finally, Battery life. psVita just doesn't run out of juice in a day. I can play it for 10 hours before a charge on most games. The steam deck will not last more than 4 hours even if I'm just playing pokemon red. There have been so many times where by 1pm I was walking around with a brick because I played something intense (like civ5) in the morning and forgot my charger at home.

I think this is what what really solidified my opinion: I had a long flight in July and I was excited to play my steam deck on the plane, I played before boarding and ate through 80% of the battery.

When I was boarding and seated, I got so annoyed because of how cumbersome it was to have to take the deck out out of its case, put the case away then turn it on and realize the juice is almost gone, fish out the charger from the case, plug it in underneath you while you are hyper focused on making sure the deck doesn't fall down. When I was finally all set up I booted up a green verified game only to find out it was not working properly and I had to go in and tinker with it to get it running well at 30fps. I switched up the games and kept running into having to Tinker with the game to get it working right or make the controller work properly. The only game I managed to launch without problems and play was DBZ Xenoverse 2 for like 15minutes. Then the game stalled and I said FML. At that point the first round of food came by and there was no way in hell I was going to be able to juggle everything in such a tight space. So I just gave up on the deck, packed it up and pulled out my Vita from my pocket, ate lunch while playing Full Throttle. I played through the entire flight and the Vita was at 80% when I booted it up and was at 20% when we landed 7 hours later. When I was ready to get off the plane, I just turned it off and shoved it back in my pocket and that was it.

There's a bunch more tiny things but honestly, for me, the steam deck i's a small form factor device meant to be docked and played on various devices. It is not what I'd consider a portable handheld gaming device.

Defenistrator fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 3, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah I wouldn't take a Deck on an airplane. Hell I didn't even take a Switch when I last flew.

Regarding tinkering: Much of what I've done is simply things you can't even do on other platforms. Sure, I spend some time setting up gyro controls for FPSes, but at least Steam input lets you setup gyro in all of them, whereas many Switch FPS ports don't have gyro and even ones that do often don't do it correctly and are incompatible with a Split Pad Pro.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I fly with mine all the time and it’s great :shrug:

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

MarcusSA posted:

Lad dee da Mr. First class/business class /premium economy.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah I wouldn't take a Deck on an airplane. Hell I didn't even take a Switch when I last flew.

Regarding tinkering: Much of what I've done is simply things you can't even do on other platforms. Sure, I spend some time setting up gyro controls for FPSes, but at least Steam input lets you setup gyro in all of them, whereas many Switch FPS ports don't have gyro and even ones that do often don't do it correctly and are incompatible with a Split Pad Pro.

I don't consider controller changes to be tinkering. If we factor that in, that's a lot of tinkering I've done. The gyro is a great plus on the deck. But screen size always hurts the experience for newer games. Playing something like seige will kill my eyes, but CS source is fine. My current favourite FPS to play on the deck is Ravenfield. It's a ton of fun and the graphically simplicity works out great for me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone know if Xenoblade 3 emulates well on the Deck?

My Switch apparently now overheats and puts itself in sleep mode with a few seconds' warning.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Hammer Bro. posted:

Anyone know if Xenoblade 3 emulates well on the Deck?

My Switch apparently now overheats and puts itself in sleep mode with a few seconds' warning.

It emulates, but haven't seen if it emulates well yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

When I am playing games on my Steam Deck it feels like I am flying and having fun

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I've noticed that the Deck sometimes demands that I log back in (supply password + Steam Guard key) when returning to SteamOS mode from Desktop mode.

What controls for when I have to log back in or not? Usually it's no problem, but if I happen to be offline (e.g. on an airplane) I won't be able to log in, right? I want to avoid that lock out scenario.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chinook posted:

FedEx sucks so badly. At least their tracking system does. Picked up Saturday. Delivery estimate was the following Wednesday.

Then on Sunday they said “oh crap it’s coming today between 10:15 and 1:55pm”. Sweet! Cleared out my afternoon… Nothing.

Then yesterday they said “oh crap it’s coming today between 10:15 and 1:55pm”. Nope.

Same deal today. Although it appears to have migrated somewhat closer to my home. (I’ve heard of the city that it’s currently at “a fedex location” in.)

:choco:
I had some of the same fuckery happen to me, but literally every day in between the Thursday I got my email and my actual delivery date the following Wednesday was a work day for me except the Friday immediately after, so I wouldn't have had the time to really play with it anyways. It was waiting for me when I woke up on that Wed, so I spent the entire day installing games and playing Vampire Survivors.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Defenistrator posted:

It emulates, but haven't seen if it emulates well yet.

Steam Deck: It emulates. Probably.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I tried playing some Team Fortress 2 on my Deck while plugged into a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

When launching the game from the gaming mode UI it appears steam input may be bugged. Moving the mouse sideways causes the character to spin extremely fast, like if mouse sensitivity was absurdly high.

Oddly though, if I carefully move the mouse up and down the character aims vertically at a normal speed.

Altering mouse sensitivity in game does not impact this behavior, and the mouse operates normally in menus.

However, if I launch the game from desktop mode the mouse behaves normally in game.

Any ideas how to fix this? Anyone experience anything similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

parasyte posted:

I have some games installed on mine that i really do mean to play but this thing has been a binding of isaac machine for me. it's the default, what i play when i want to play something, and i'm putting probably 2-4 hours a day in it.

There are so many games I planned on playing on this thing. So far, I've only played Skul: the Hero Slayer on it. To be fair, I wanted a good way to play Skul portable, and that's what this is.