Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

pseudanonymous posted:

Being overly generous with warnings etc.. makes it easier to keep from getting overturned would be my guess.

Yeah, this is crossing every T and dotting every lower-case j.

(Get it? It's like Wayne's World :haw:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If the defense is disrespectful enough, is it possible for the judge to just stop the case and award a default judgement again? Or is that not how this works.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Generic American posted:

I am honestly starting to get a little frustrated by the judge. I get that she has plenty of reasons to be lenient with the defense so that she doesn't play into their whole "this trial is biased against us!!!" playbook, but at this point, why even bother scolding Alex and his lawyer if she's clearly not going to do anything about it? It's absolutely cathartic to see her talking down to him like the petulant little child that he is, but I don't think it is going to accomplish anything other than entertaining us on the stream. Meanwhile, he's going to keep playing by a completely different set of rules where he gets to say whatever he wants directly to the jury with the occasional "please just answer the question" prod and the plaintiffs just get a little asterisk at the bottom of their sheet during deliberations that what he said technically isn't true.

I guess this is the right time to ask: what degree of freedom does the judge have when someone is in obvious contempt of court in Texas? I mean, do they have any limits for jail time, fines, or possibly even recommending someone for psychological assessment?

Stolkin
Aug 10, 2013

Generic American posted:

I am honestly starting to get a little frustrated by the judge. I get that she has plenty of reasons to be lenient with the defense so that she doesn't play into their whole "this trial is biased against us!!!" playbook, but at this point, why even bother scolding Alex and his lawyer if she's clearly not going to do anything about it? It's absolutely cathartic to see her talking down to him like the petulant little child that he is, but I don't think it is going to accomplish anything other than entertaining us on the stream. Meanwhile, he's going to keep playing by a completely different set of rules where he gets to say whatever he wants directly to the jury with the occasional "please just answer the question" prod and the plaintiffs just get a little asterisk at the bottom of their sheet during deliberations that what he said technically isn't true.

If things down there are anything like they are up here, you (“you” here including judges as well) need to establish a record. The Court needs to clearly warn someone before finding them in contempt for misbehaviour.

Not to mention that the Judge has made clear she will consider sanctions after a judgment has been made on the merits — meaning they may have already picked the grapes of wrath, but the pressing comes later.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

xarph posted:

The audience isn't us, the audience is the inevitable court of appeals where jones will throw his lawyers under the bus citing incompetent representation (which is true, but it's by design)

I guess that's a good point for her to consider with how hard they have been pushing for a mistrial. Maybe it's just that I'm blown away by how much blatant bullshit you are apparently able to get away with after hearing for years that it's a bad idea for you to gently caress with a judge.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
:eng101: the judge generally cannot sanction an attorney absent a motion for sanctions which is forthcoming.

Contempt, which a court could charge sua sponte, is a criminal charge that faces the beyond reasonable doubt standard and it's unlikely that any of Jones' in court shenanigans today would meet that burden as it's at least possible his errors were good faith mistakes.

Jones' after court behavior and his lawyer's the other day are contempt-worthy imo, but a judge has to personally observe the behavior to sustain the charge.

Make no mistake she's going to loving hammer him when the time comes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I guess this is the right time to ask: what degree of freedom does the judge have when someone is in obvious contempt of court in Texas? I mean, do they have any limits for jail time, fines, or possibly even recommending someone for psychological assessment?

its texas so a juge can legally shoot anyone at any time for any reason

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stolkin posted:

Not to mention that the Judge has made clear she will consider sanctions after a judgment has been made on the merits — meaning they may have already picked the grapes of wrath, but the pressing comes later.

iftheyre planning on doing anything, its this. courts loooove letting you keep digging down instead of shutting you up the first day. i mean thats their business model

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I almost admire how brazen right wingers are at lying. They just do not give a gently caress, they will tell you red is blue and then argue with you about it.

It's astounding how soulless these ghouls are.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
AJ's playbook throughout Discovery has been to not show up multiple times due to sickness, and instead, go and do an episode of Info Wars. Delays and disrespecting the legal process been the entirety of his *legal strategy*, nothing more.

Today's decision to appear was only to provide more material for his horrible show: running his mouth off, pivoting to ads, introducing brand new conspiracies.

Feigning that *cough* throughout today was entirely about laying the groundwork for his non-appearance tomorrow.

That *cough*, as we know, which miraculously went away once he reached the press outside.

I would like to be wrong, but he pulls this bullshit all the time.

(That exchange he had with the parents while they were leaving the courtroom was one of the most sickening things I have seen in a long time. The man is literally behaving like a serial killer.)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
What happens if he doesn't show? Legally what are the consequences? I can totally see him not showing up.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
lol. whoops. im confused.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 3, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If Alex is a no show tomorrow he will cite a concern for his life due to secret globalist assassins in the jury or something, not the totally real health issues.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

xarph posted:

The audience isn't us, the audience is the inevitable court of appeals where jones will throw his lawyers under the bus citing incompetent representation (which is true, but it's by design)

If only that were thing he could do in a civil case. Ineffective assistance of counsel applies in criminal cases. Legal malpractice is the civil equivalent and it's not an appealable factor. It's a separate claim post case to make the attorney eligible in part or in whole for the parties fees.

Jones is just hosed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zil posted:

They divorced a few years ago.

Second marriage. His current wife was at the trial and he even talked about her on the stand.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Generic American posted:

Plaintiff's lawyer today brought up that sanctions should be a thing and the judge said that will come after the trial.

Torpedoing my law career for Alex Jones LOL

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

For the lurkers, it feels like we should post our favorite Knowledge Fight episodes. Or just AJ adjacent content. I say this as I listen to a QAnon Anonymous podcast illuminating how TikTok is full of insane pilled content that will doom younger Gen Z's to carry on AJ's torch of insanity.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Scam Likely posted:

For the lurkers, it feels like we should post our favorite Knowledge Fight episodes. Or just AJ adjacent content. I saw this as I listen to a Q Anon Anonymous podcast illuminating how TikTok is full of insane pulled content that will ensure younger Gen Z's will carry on AJ's torch of insanity.

The three part Behind the Bastards is decent and much less intimidating than god drat all of Knowledge Fight.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Confusedslight posted:

What happens if he doesn't show? Legally what are the consequences? I can totally see him not showing up.

The plaintiff's lawyer just has to show video post trial where his symptoms cleared up and inevitably a clip of him doing his show tomorrow while "sick" and ranting about the trial.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

For those of you claiming nothing will happen, he's white and he's rich: your logic is sound but your conclusion is incorrect. Yes, he's white and he's rich. But he's also making a joke of the legal system, and courts cannot abide that. Especially when thousands of dumbfuck yokels are watching. If AJ fans figure out they can gum up the works like this -- hire the dumbest lawyer you can and play dumb as an affirmative defense -- and suffer no consequences? The system falls apart. The system is extremely interested in making sure there is no question as to who gets the last laugh, and it's always them.

AJ can gently caress around a bit, but it is clear the judge is done with him and is preparing punishments that go beyond the scope of the trial itself. Sanctions, contempt, jail time, all of that is on the table.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxZsCQJBcBy09xS7MW3_S1og-HyQzpEzsR

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

For those of you claiming nothing will happen, he's white and he's rich: your logic is sound but your conclusion is incorrect. Yes, he's white and he's rich. But he's also making a joke of the legal system, and courts cannot abide that. Especially when thousands of dumbfuck yokels are watching. If AJ fans figure out they can gum up the works like this -- hire the dumbest lawyer you can and play dumb as an affirmative defense -- and suffer no consequences? The system falls apart. The system is extremely interested in making sure there is no question as to who gets the last laugh, and it's always them.

AJ can gently caress around a bit, but it is clear the judge is done with him and is preparing punishments that go beyond the scope of the trial itself. Sanctions, contempt, jail time, all of that is on the table.

Yeah this is where I've always been at. I've never really assumed he'd just get away with it all because he's been trying to treat this like an episode of entertainment with him as the heroic main character in a movie and the courts as some Big Media Conspiracy out to get him. And as you rightfully point out, courts and the legal system is interested in keeping that poo poo locked up.

Had Alex just settled, kept an even keel, locked up his personality issues and ran and beat a dead horse on a "I'm just an entertainer. Nobody would reasonably believe me." Fox News style, I think this would have gone a lot more his way. But now he just keeps opening himself up to more and more and it's looking like sanctions are absolutely happening and contempt and jail time are on the table.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Plaintiff's lawyer today brought up that sanctions should be a thing and the judge said that will come after the trial.

Torpedoing my law career for Alex Jones LOL

Will they get Wingnut Welfare or just tossed in a ditch?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Will they get Wingnut Welfare or just tossed in a ditch?

I'm sure Fox News is always on the look out for the next photogenic heroic liberal owning lawyers.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 3, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scam Likely posted:

For the lurkers, it feels like we should post our favorite Knowledge Fight episodes. Or just AJ adjacent content. I say this as I listen to a QAnon Anonymous podcast illuminating how TikTok is full of insane pilled content that will doom younger Gen Z's to carry on AJ's torch of insanity.

Every Project Camelot of course, which have nothing to do with Alex Jones. But everyone needs to know about the spider leadership.

The one with Ronald Reagan getting pegged was pretty good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Every Project Camelot of course, which have nothing to do with Alex Jones. But everyone needs to know about the spider leadership.

The one with Ronald Reagan getting pegged was pretty good.

Squatch.

Raxkor
Jan 19, 2013

What the actual or implied fuck?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9hYsKouvWw

Hooooly poo poo Alex is a piece of work. Doing this while his own defamation trial is going on. Insane.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
someone recently gave him 8 million dollars

alex jones will be fiiiiiiiine.

you heard his employees: they work for whatever he pays them, they only know what he tells them, it's a little cult. same with most of his fans. you don't destroy a cult leader by taking his money; the rest of the cult will happily give him whatever he wants. he serves a purpose for someone who can afford to just throw 8 million at someone to further their interests. you don't give up a valuable asset that easily.
plus, he never EVER committed the only thing that will get you convicted in america: he never inconvenienced a fellow rich person.

Raxkor
Jan 19, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

alex jones will be fiiiiiiiine.

Are we watching the same trial?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad he can't be forbidden to do his show while he's on trial.

Did anything happen with the farce of him suing himself to stop the CT trial?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I think faking his own death to get out of this would be extremely on brand for him, and then he could come back as Alan Bones, up-and-coming red faced right wing conspiracy theorist who yells a lot about how crop circles have turned the president gay or whatever the gently caress

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Raxkor posted:

Are we watching the same trial?

It's rare that wealthy powerful people face real, lasting consequences in the United States.

This looks like it's going bad for Jones and I hope it is, I hope he is fined a huge amount, and I hope he actually pays.

But it's so rare that the wealthy and powerful actually get punished that I can't be upset with someone who assumes he'll wriggle out of this jam too.

Raxkor
Jan 19, 2013

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It's rare that wealthy powerful people face real, lasting consequences in the United States.

This looks like it's going bad for Jones and I hope it is, I hope he is fined a huge amount, and I hope he actually pays.

But it's so rare that the wealthy and powerful actually get punished that I can't be upset with someone who assumes he'll wriggle out of this jam too.

I get that, but from the outside looking in, he's been busted shifting assets, he's been busted flat out lying under oath, the judge, and the prossies want to make an example out of him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think people are wildly overestimating how rich Alex is, also. Like he's got some serious money but he's not Immune to Consequences Rich.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I think people are wildly overestimating how rich Alex is, also. Like he's got some serious money but he's not Immune to Consequences Rich.

He's well off enough to buy most things a normal person would want without thinking about it.

But he doesn't have Go gently caress Yourself money.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I look forwards to the two entire realities crashing together soon.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not to tinhat, but he's a big fat bone to throw under the bus to distract the masses.

which is fine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

PhazonLink posted:

not to tinhat, but he's a big fat bone to throw under the bus to distract the masses.

which is fine.

The masses?

I mean, we're all here paying attention to this, but most people have no idea this trial is even happening. Like, millions of people watched and cared about the Depp-Heard trial, and it was front page news everywhere. This is nothing compared to that.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Raxkor posted:

I get that, but from the outside looking in, he's been busted shifting assets, he's been busted flat out lying under oath, the judge, and the prossies want to make an example out of him.
a: what can they do to him? fines? sanctions? making him lose a whole bunch of money? oh no, he'll have to...do his very profitable show to pay that off? "you're sentenced to live your life"
b: who wants to make an example of him? as far as i can see it's one angry judge. who can...impose sanctions see a.
why in the world would anyone "make an example" of jones? for what? who has he hurt that can actually gently caress with him? why? he's not exposing anything, he's running deep interference for the right people, he's a loving rich rodeo clown for the right people with a large following. a very useful tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Frankly it’s pretty easy to imagine Alex pulling through this and rebuilding InfoWars from bankruptcy. His audience seems to be making reasonable strides in convincing everyone that this is just the system being unfair to poor lil Jonesy who is being sued over hurt feelings.