Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

you have to fight the final boss a specific way to get the true ending, no obscure treasure hunt like in the first game

What specific way would that be (as I said, I care about spoilers)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

What specific way would that be (as I said, I care about spoilers)?

when the dragon pops out you have to just throw tags at it and not hit it with your sword at all, until its health bar is completely darkened

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

when the dragon pops out you have to just throw tags at it and not hit it with your sword at all, until its health bar is completely darkened

Sounds simple enough and I’m glad they didn’t make you jump through any hoops to get it this time around (though in the previous entry technically all you had to do was beat the game once with both characters and then play the final level again afterwards with either of them, it was really only the first game that made you have to go out of your way for it)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally got around to playing this a bit, game seems fun so far, the English voices aren’t bad for the most part and I like Kirin’s mechanics (also she’s not quite as “serious business” as she appeared in the IX2 DLC fight)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 29, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
As I grind out these X6 achievements, I still can't get "da big cow HI M00X" out of my head. Same with "Blaze Wheatnix."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another Gunvolt 3 question now that I’ve finally started playing this, how exactly does Kirin’s pervasion work? It doesn’t seem like it’s actually protecting me from damage like normal (or is that an ability you get later?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Another Gunvolt 3 question now that I’ve finally started playing this, how exactly does Kirin’s pervasion work? It doesn’t seem like it’s actually protecting me from damage like normal (or is that an ability you get later?)

You need to have her skill equipped for it to work that way. You get it after the first stage

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 29, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, is there any particular theme to the boss names in GV3 or the IX series (for example, all the bosses from the first Gunvolt were named after cars and all the bosses from the second game were apparently named after types of missiles)?

Also I’m about halfway through the former at the moment but is it ever explained how GV and Kirin somehow managed to create a perfect copy of Lumen complete with all her memories despite her essentially just being an Image Pulse?

Finally what exactly do you get for A/S ranks in this game, more money/better skills (speaking of there doesn’t seem to be much point in spending money to upgrade skills since the game can occasionally just give you ones that are already maxed out)?

This game also seems a bit easier than previous entries seeing as falling into a pit only costs you a bit of health and Kudos doesn’t decrease by hitting checkpoints/taking damage anymore

Kirin is great though and I wouldn’t mind if she came back eventually

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 30, 2022

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also I’m about halfway through the former at the moment but is it ever explained how GV and Kirin somehow managed to create a perfect copy of Lumen complete with all her memories despite her essentially just being an Image Pulse?

Just, "Oh she must have been really close to you." "I mean she was basically my Stand during the entirety of Gunvolt 2." When she first pops up. Not a single mention of the pendant or anything that came of GV2's secret ending. I guess Tsuda (The creator/ head writer) forgot about it or something lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think they wanted a clean break and threw out almost every hanging plot point from the first two games

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, aside from GV/Lumen, Sumeragi still being around, and a few off hand references and Image Pulse cameos this game basically has nothing to do with its predecessor from what I can tell (they even time jumped several years into the future on top of that).

Edit: It appears some old bosses from the previous games come back for an encore in one the final stages

Cyborg Copen from the IX series getting canonized in the main timeline might have been neat (last we saw him he left everything behind except Lola in order to hunt down and destroy Adepts after all) but alas

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 30, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished it, it was probably one of the easier games in the series but it was pretty fun. I’m curious if this is also going to be the last game since even in the true ending it seems to be implied that GV is either dead or at least no longer on earth (though I wouldn’t mind a Kirin spinoff to be honest as she was a fun character)

Also out of curiosity, what’s the process for unlocking new skill slots for Image Pulses? Does it have something to do with current level and/or story progression?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 31, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the game was very fun but the story was pretty trash lol
it feels like ever since GV2 they’ve just completely run out of ideas of what to do with the setting and characters and they’ve just been half-heartedly going down the list of story beats to recreate from the Zero/ZX series

Larryb posted:

Also out of curiosity, what’s the process for unlocking new skill slots for Image Pulses? Does it have something to do with current level and/or story progression?

it’s at certain level thresholds I think

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

hatty posted:

I think they wanted a clean break and threw out almost every hanging plot point from the first two games

They've claimed in interviews that GV3 took so long because they "couldn't think of a story".

So, yeah, stuff like the GV2 secret ending and it's possibilities, or any of the other smaller dangling threads? Lolnope, can't do anything with any of that I guess.

Or with Gunvolt, which is dumb. Because man the secret ending was right there. Follow up on that!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think there's been a single gunvolt game with a good story.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think there's been a single gunvolt game with a good story.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I find it fairly hilarious it's apparently followed the same "Character whose name is literally the name of the game is no longer the main playable character" trajectory as MMX.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I find it fairly hilarious it's apparently followed the same "Character whose name is literally the name of the game is no longer the main playable character" trajectory as MMX.

It also follows almost the same story trajectory as the Zero series, including ending with the title character sacrificing himself to stop a world ending disaster caused by the main antagonist

Also the Kirin who appeared as a DLC fight in IX2 and the Kirin from GV3 feel like almost two completely different characters to me (one was more serious minded while the other was kind of a dork), I like the latter better honestly and wouldn’t mind seeing more of her in the future

This is also the first Gunvolt game where aside from the bad ending you never actually kill a single boss (even during the refights the ATEMS members retreat at the end)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 31, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4ruPn0YEk
Giga Man X versus Morphin Moth

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Magnus doesn't mention it but IIRC having the full armour halves your weapon energy usage.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
So it turns out Gunvolt 3 has a secret ending, you have to collect every single Image Pulse and then beat the final boss on Merciless difficulty. You can find it on YouTube if that sounds like a big ask.

I was wrong and Tsuda did remember about GV2's secret ending... and the payoff is a gag ending. Dude's just trolling at this point, lmao

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yup:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xkykx0bj5zc

How many Image Pulses are there out of curiosity anyway, is it one or more for each character in the main three games or is there some IX representation as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 2, 2022

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Yeahhhhh, I was holding off to see how Gunvolt 3 would follow up on literally any of the plotlines 2 left behind before buying, because weird as the story was, it did grip me and 3 would need to keep it going to retain my interest.

...I will not be buying. There are no follow-ups to 2's story at all; all those hanging plot points go unresolved, and in exchange we get GV being turned into a baby Zinogre and the only reference to those plotlines being a non-canon joke ending.

I want to like this since Inti Creates is going for something new and I respect that, but 3's story is too much of a drug trip even for my tastes, and that joke ending is just a slap to the face. And this is coming from someone who likes joke endings.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SL the Pyro posted:

just a slap to the face.

lmao. Source?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

lmao. Source?

If you mean the secret ending I literally posted a link to it above

That said, the story and barely having any significant connection to its predecessor aside though it’s still a fun game regardless in my opinion.

Not entirely sure if there will be any more at this point however considering that both normal endings seem to pretty definitively close out the series for good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hopefully they release an iX3 at least, would hate for Inti to become a Gal Gun studio full time now with Blaster Master Zero and possibly Gunvolt having concluded

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, I really enjoyed GV3's gameplay, it would be a shame if they stopped here. I would be surprised if Inti had just decided altogether that they finally all got Mega Man X-esque gameplay out of their systems entirely.

The first iX was made specifically because of Tsuda's writer's block holding back GV3 from going into production since he's one of the company founders, the franchise is his baby, and they can't make a game in the main series without him. I'm sure they'll find something to do with the franchise's gameplay even if Tsuda himself says the main series is complete (Which, to clarify, he hasn't said).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

No I meant the source of the quote that said "slap to the face" like it's a personal insult that someone put out a game that you didn't like. Or aren't going to try because of this grievous insult to one's video game honour.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah ok. Though while I would have liked a bit of a closer followup to GV2 I didn’t mind 3’s story all that much to be completely honest (Kirin turned out to be way more likable than I originally assumed for one thing and I liked her dynamic with GV).

Truxton posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed GV3's gameplay, it would be a shame if they stopped here. I would be surprised if Inti had just decided altogether that they finally all got Mega Man X-esque gameplay out of their systems entirely.

The first iX was made specifically because of Tsuda's writer's block holding back GV3 from going into production since he's one of the company founders, the franchise is his baby, and they can't make a game in the main series without him. I'm sure they'll find something to do with the franchise's gameplay even if Tsuda himself says the main series is complete (Which, to clarify, he hasn't said).

Well based on 3’s endings GV either dies or regains control of himself just long enough to leave earth with the parasite still in his body, but I suppose you could handwave some excuse for him to come back again if you really wanted to.

That said, I wouldn’t mind an IX3 or a full Kirin solo game after this at the very least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 3, 2022

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

hatty posted:

Hopefully they release an iX3 at least, would hate for Inti to become a Gal Gun studio full time now with Blaster Master Zero and possibly Gunvolt having concluded

They should make more remakes/sequels of Sunsoft games. Gimmick Zero, Uforia: The New Saga, Fester's Quest Returns, just go for it.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Well based on 3’s endings GV either dies or regains control of himself just long enough to leave earth with the parasite still in his body, but I suppose you could handwave some excuse for him to come back again if you really wanted to.

That said, I wouldn’t mind an IX3 or a full Kirin solo game after this at the very least

The good ending has at least the framework for a future Kirin solo game, whether it's part of the main series or a "Gunvolt Chronicles" spinoff title.

Gunvolt could just return from space for the sake of plot convenience, or heck, they could just give him a new set of abilities altogether and put him on some wacky planet-hopping adventure of his own, or have him mentor another new protagonist altogether.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Potsticker posted:

No I meant the source of the quote that said "slap to the face" like it's a personal insult that someone put out a game that you didn't like. Or aren't going to try because of this grievous insult to one's video game honour.

It may just be a "me" thing, really. I'm actually not that good at the Gunvolt gameplay and powered through the first game due to a sunk cost fallacy, but by that point the story had sunk its claws into my brain and I powered through the second game as a result. Whether or not 3 brought a satisfying conclusion to 2's plot threads was going to be the deciding factor in putting myself through more pain. If I'd self-flagellated through the entire game to get that as my reward, I... wouldn't have been very happy.

But of course, don't take my opinion as fact. I can't criticize the gameplay simply because I suck at it, so I imagine you might enjoy it much more than I would.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SL the Pyro posted:

It may just be a "me" thing, really. I'm actually not that good at the Gunvolt gameplay and powered through the first game due to a sunk cost fallacy, but by that point the story had sunk its claws into my brain and I powered through the second game as a result. Whether or not 3 brought a satisfying conclusion to 2's plot threads was going to be the deciding factor in putting myself through more pain. If I'd self-flagellated through the entire game to get that as my reward, I... wouldn't have been very happy.

But of course, don't take my opinion as fact. I can't criticize the gameplay simply because I suck at it, so I imagine you might enjoy it much more than I would.

I think if you're not enjoying a game that's completely fine. And I can sympathize certainly with not liking the gameplay of a game and not buying the sequel but still watching a video/series of someone else going through the stuff you don't like. There's nothing wrong with any of that.

But it is exceedingly silly to say that a game turning out disappointing is a personal insult like a slap to the face, a phrase which is often mocked for the ridiculousness and humor of someone equating a disappointing video game with physical assault.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
I also get the feeling that the reason Copen just became a non-entity in the main series was because the iX series got made. Now that he has his own spinoff games, there isn't much point in keeping him and his gameplay in the main series, especially when Gunvolt and Copen play so differently that certain bosses in GV2 just felt weird fighting as one character vs. another (Milas wields Gunvolt's weakness and can't be approached the same way as most other enemies, but to Copen he's nothing all that special, Gibril's short height makes her tricky for Gunvolt to hit without any alternate shot types, but Copen can easily just dash into her to tag her without issue and has the agility to make most of her attacks look like a joke in comparison, etc). Having his own games means every boss can be tailored to being challenging to him.

It means his character arc gets dropped because the iX series Copen is a different character entirely at this point (Main series Copen was a huge prick anyway, so I'm not too bothered by this, but it would have been interesting to see if he was just in denial about being down a slow path to realizing the error of his ways, or if he was just going to double down on them anyway and eventually just lead himself to his own self-destruction), but it is what it is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why would you be playing these games for the story
like 3’s story is bad yeah but the stories in these games were never great

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

People were just posting about the things they were invested in with the story in the X series. Like, story is important to people. Maybe not all people, but that doesn't seem weird to me at all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that’s different from only playing Mega Man X for the story lol

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I only play games for the story. The story of me enjoying a video game. It's not always great, but very satisfying when done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Did you guys like luminous avenger? I just bought it and the stages/ platforming themselves are pretty decent, but the bosses are pretty badass

It's a solid mega man successor but definitely turn pervasion off If you want it to feel old school