Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Quackles posted:

It's also worth noting that the boss music in Mother 3 goes through some very weird time signature changes for this reason. Fortunately, most of your damage is in the first four 'beats', so you won't do too badly even if you flub every hit.

it's also worth noting that Mother 3 still does not have an official English release by Nintendo, so various emulators will gently caress up your rhythm inputs to various degrees :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I enjoy timed hits in Thousand Year Door and basically nowhere else, because 1) they're easy and 2) there's the Stylish inputs. Everywhere else, I either dislike them or don't really care. I don't want to fail a hard boss five minutes into the fight because I pressed A slightly too late to attack or dodge, but I do want to hit an enemy with a hammer, backflip four times, and then mug for the camera as confetti falls. Most importantly, Stylish inputs don't get you anything very useful, even if you're making the game hard for yourself.

The measure for any mechanic shouldn't be "Is this fun the first time," it should be, "If I get stuck here due to other reasons, then will this mechanic want me to fire the developer responsible into the sun?" Timed Hits usually fail the sun cannon test.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i thought it was a simple but cool trick in earthbound that damage you take ticks down and if you're fast enough you can recover from big hits before dying

Yeah aside from the obvious thing where, like, you had to quickly heal someone before the last of their life ticked away, forcing you to quickly rush through battle commands, it also allowed for some interesting battle strategy where you'd want to kill certain enemies last, since they'd explode with enough damage to kill you. If they were the last enemy, however, the HP bars stop ticking down to 0 almost immediately.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Indivisible had atrociously balanced timed defense and a final boss that went full Drakengard so any and all endgame grinding you did felt pointless and unsatisfying.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Lessail posted:

what in the world does this mean

FF1 was made by D&D tubonerds and a lot of weird design decisions starts there. There's agreed upon bad stuff like Vancian magic and no reviving in the field, which FF fixed over time, but I think turned based battling between parties was another poor thing to copy from D&D. Of course they couldn't program anything more reactive back then, but it set a lot of standards about how much action should be in a "real" RPG. I got in arguments as an obnoxious child with older kids playing 1e/2e D&D and Magic making GBS threads on my baby games like Secret of Mana / Phantasy Star / Illusion of Gaia / Terraenigma / EVO:SfE / add your own. They were never accepted by grognards as "real" RPGs, compared to operatic turn-based FF mainline entries or Lunar or Romance of the Three Kingdoms

And now, with action RPGs like Nier & Souls being the coolest nerd games, I want to rub it in their smug faces. ADHD games have beaten boring scholarly nerd treatises in pop culture, old games like Diplomacy which takes forever to play and provides no dopamine hits until everyone's filed their legal briefs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891UKqdyGkA

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Yeah aside from the obvious thing where, like, you had to quickly heal someone before the last of their life ticked away, forcing you to quickly rush through battle commands, it also allowed for some interesting battle strategy where you'd want to kill certain enemies last, since they'd explode with enough damage to kill you. If they were the last enemy, however, the HP bars stop ticking down to 0 almost immediately.

I especially liked the mechanic in Mother 3, where the Defend command just slowed the damage tic to a crawl (iirc it just uses the Guts stat in EB), if only because it works really well for the final boss narratively.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jus' one more t'ing, Mr Pope; If you're so kind and benevolent, then what's this sword me and the boys found in an ancient ruin? It's a good sword, isn't it? My wife, she's big on the folklore you see, tells me it's an ancient hero's weapon from ten thousand years ago, can you believe it? But what I cant understan' is why a couple of guys from your church tried to steal it while we were there. Gave us a heck of a fight over the thing too.

Can you help us out here, your benevolence?

rewrite The Name of the Rose with a Columbo stand-in instead of Holmes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Turn based combat owns

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Turn based combat owns

It owns bones, Slay the Spire is over 1000 hours on my switch

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"People only make turn based combat because they were tricked by d&d and final fantasy"

No it's because they like it. Lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Last Celebration posted:

I especially liked the mechanic in Mother 3, where the Defend command just slowed the damage tic to a crawl (iirc it just uses the Guts stat in EB), if only because it works really well for the final boss narratively.
:eyepop:

See I just assumed Ness was the easiest to save because any attacks that did significant damage to his huge-rear end HP pool would take forever to count down anyways, dealing like 3-400 damage or something ridiculous like that. I didn't figure on Paula and Jeff - the characters most likely to need saving - also having HP counters that tick down faster.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
on one hand i feel like as a dnd hater i should agree with that post, but on the other it seems absolutely deranged

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Games have been turn-based since prehistory despite having the ability to make them otherwise. There are even turn-based sports. Let us not forget the connection between Final Fantasy and gridiron football, which is turn-based. Embrace the breadth and diversity of styles of play that gaming can contain.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Analytic Engine posted:

. They were never accepted by grognards as "real" RPGs, compared to operatic turn-based FF mainline entries or Lunar or Romance of the Three Kingdoms

I'm sorry what

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

turn based rpgs are win, whos even saying they're out of fashion now

action rpgs seem neat too but i haven't played any of those yet i think

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Edit: Imagine nerds who made their personalities run on Monty Python and LotR, who poo poo on women and theater/art kids in comedy/gaming. Guys that look down on chess because they know go, who hate sports games on a visceral level. They picked on me as an ADHD nerd who didn't want to study for an entrance exam to get into their hobbies

I'm really miscommunicating, I love turn based games and D&D for what they are but they were definitely overrepresented in video game RPGs when we were younger

I think this makes little sense because we're all on board with those games, as SNES millennials. Little brothers and sisters who didn't want to do the math or weren't invited for pre-3e D&D, who didn't need a nihilistic medieval setting for our stories, who liked fun gameplay with leas focus on preparation and planning. Secret of Mana is obliviously good to us but it's not for the average mid-40s US nerd

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 3, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

turn-based rpgs are based, it's in the name

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Srice posted:

turn-based rpgs are based, it's in the name

can't argue with this, logging off

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RTWP is turn-cringe.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm sorry you were traumatized for life by some lovely dumbasses in your middle school making fun of you for liking Secret of Mana, OP. But you can't take it out on turn-based RPGs like that. I suggest playing Secret of Mana and whenever you beat a boss say, "take that, lovely middle school nerds!"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I'm sorry you were traumatized for life by some lovely dumbasses in your middle school making fun of you for liking Secret of Mana, OP. But you can't take it out on turn-based RPGs like that. I suggest playing Secret of Mana and whenever you beat a boss say, "take that, lovely middle school nerds!"

I prefer playing the coolest and most respected game subgenre in 2022, attention-demanding action RPGs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gonna be one more meatsack saying this is a dumb argument

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Gonna be one more meatsack saying this is a dumb argument

Agreed, it's fun to start a debate but not to insult people. Logging off for real

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the srpg is the greatest subgenre of rpg, and i am glad we are in 2022, the year of the srpg, and anyone who isn't glad, well i got a stratgey to kick ur freakin rear end!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like this argument is like, completely missing the context of JP nerd culture. in japan women loved tabletop games and were a big demo for it. the us nerd culture no girls allowed! thing just didnt happen over there. thats why theres so many 80s/90s isekai shoujo about D&D rear end settings.

like call of cthulhu was stocked in the same section of nerd stores as stuff like otome games, for whatever reason it was insanely popular with women. you can see its influence on those later otome games, there's a lot of cthulhu and horror themes going around, there's even lesbian stuff by lesbian authors with that outer god theming. final fantasy is super popular with women in japan, like a bit more women than men play it even if there's obviously a big male fanbase/male nostalgia for it, and part of the reason is those early D&D influences. there's a reason every licensed anime/manga property with a female demo, like inuyasha or rayearth, got a turn-based JRPG as its licensed game, and why a lot of otome games that want to have some actual gameplay implement turn-based combat.

your entire framing device, that turn-based tabletop games were for stuck-up nerd guys who hated women, does not remotely apply to the context turn-based JRPGs were made in. im not saying D&D was exclusively a female hobby in Japan or anything but there was absolutely a large female demographic for it and no cultural tension about that, unlike the US, and that spiraled out into several things that are aimed at women.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 3, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like the otome genre itself was born out of a turn based country management game where you were competing directly with an AI-controlled rival, and the country was presented by a map on a board, the line of influence is pretty clear there even if Angelique is very simplified and has no real strategy aspects and is mostly about prioritizing objectives and trying to balance the actual game objective with romancing the guys.

frankly 'turn-based games arent real/are badly designed/shouldnt be respected' reads as insanely sus wrt the writer's opinions on women if you want my kneejerk response. not accusing you of that since i get your (weird, incorrect) logic and it isnt coming from that direction. but just saying that as someone who is into the weeds on that stuff so much of it reads as aimed at women to me that id go 'woah hold on.'

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Make a RPG based on that weird rear end Jack Frost movie where the guy becomes Jack Frost because he gets hit by a truck full of cum

this is an extremely import point, and the VHS back says "a truck full of genetic material"

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Analytic Engine posted:

this is an extremely import point, and the VHS back says "a truck full of genetic material"

well they are technically not wrong

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

there's a lot of cthulhu and horror themes going around, there's even lesbian stuff by lesbian authors with that outer god theming.

Suddenly all the lesbian fish in Arknights are explained.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

sincerely!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to ask about the lesbian fish but also, my ignorance is blissful.

Hurry up soul hackers

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.theonion.com/bill-gates-grants-self-18-dexterity-20-charisma-1819564339

“Anyone can be a Santa Claus DM and give out unearned stats,” Oracle president Larry Ellison said. “I’m surprised he didn’t just go ahead and give himself a 20 in everything.”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Analytic Engine posted:

:cumpolice:

Clarste posted:

Huh, yeah

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

gently caress, now I have 3000+ pages to read on Awful

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Turn based combat owns

the gold box "brisk tactics" approach was the best one which is why divinity original sin and live a live own

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

I want to ask about the lesbian fish but also, my ignorance is blissful.
The ineffable mysteries which lurk in the depths of Arknights have driven countless would-be scholars to madness and worse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Analytic Engine posted:

Edit: Imagine nerds who made their personalities run on Monty Python and LotR, who poo poo on women and theater/art kids in comedy/gaming. Guys that look down on chess because they know go, who hate sports games on a visceral level

You've seemingly made your personality a nerd running on spiting this people and its just as annoying

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You've seemingly made your personality a nerd running on spiting this people and its just as annoying

They walked so we could run. I own up to being abrasive/annoying but it's important to remember that today's inclusive(ish) diverse(ish) indie games industry is full of kids with no internalized limits, who are superior to the Eltingville Club losers who gatekept our hobby when a lot of assumptions and tropes were being laid down. The core D&D 5e books *actually explain unironic roleplaying*, in a way that everyone needs to observe. It's historically abnormal for RPGs and a good high water mark for bringing people into our world

& Monte Cooke's 3e generation at WotC was necessary after Gygax's excruciating time wasting and TSR being run into the ground by "adults in the room". D&D should have died but it was forcibly pulled into the 21st century, with all the "he or she rolls a d20" language that I love that absolutely pissed off the grognards

4e sucked tho, absolutely craven attempt to ape MMOs sold on a pipe dream of Roll20/Foundry a decade too early. Holy poo poo did WotC blow it, no wonder our generation of math nerds embraced Pathfinder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zcstud7PPE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I would prefer not to be part of your world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I would prefer not to be part of your world