Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

So what's it say that an abortion ban went down in flames in loving Kansas when put to a popular vote?

Hopefully that the blood gargling psychopath wing of the Republican party is going to get drubbed in the upcoming elections, but we'll see.

In other news at least the Senate Reps were bullied into voting for the burn pit veteran's health care bill after being roundly mocked/shamed by John Stewart and various veteran's groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the fact that Trump got soft-couped repeatedly over the course of his presidency probably helped us avert some real horrorshows, but it also taught the DoD that they can tell the President to gently caress off and he has no choice but to meekly accept it

that's going to become a serious problem sooner rather than later.

I've been trying to follow the conversation, but I'm still confused. So back to your original point, are you complaining that humans have their own agency? I don't even know what your point is. Anyone can disobey anyone, but the follow up/repercussions is what can vary and what is impactful.

The president can fire the Secretary of Defense. Whether the military would turn against the president and continue to obey the fired Secretary of Defense in that situation is a separate question. And that never seemed to even come close to happening under Trump.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 3, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
basically he's saying its kind of a worrying precedent that the bureaucratic state can just ignore the president if they think the president is being really loving stupid.

that the president was, in fact, really loving stupid at the time softens the worry, but the precedent is still there.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

nine-gear crow posted:

So what's it say that an abortion ban went down in flames in loving Kansas when put to a popular vote?

Maybe Kansas will refind it's leftist roots

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It'll be interesting to see what the results are vs what the polling was indicating. I think it was basically saying things looked even?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jaxyon posted:

It's possible, I guess, but I think a lot of it was that a lot of the backers of the Amendment (which says that the Kansas legislature is allowed to pass new abortion restrictions) really weren't that clear on what the end goal was, and what sort of restrictions they wanted to see passed, and a lot of the pro-life voters weren't that pro-life....they supported restrictions on abortion but not a total ban, which people were afraid the amendment would lead to.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lemming posted:

It'll be interesting to see what the results are vs what the polling was indicating. I think it was basically saying things looked even?

It was like 47-43 'no don't ban abortion'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think stuff like the pregnant 10 year old going around are actually having an effect on a lot of people who thought they're obviously just going to ban whatever they think abortion is in their head, ie something feckless whores do to avoid responsibility, and get cold feet when they actually see what it means in practice.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Currently the state has a GOP supermajority in both chambers and the gov race for Nov is a tossup so I wouldn't hold my breath. Yes the amendment failed but the GOP could pass an abortion ban over even a governor's veto any time they want. I'm guessing they'll wait until Jan to do so.

The vote is surprising but not too surprising. A poo poo ton of the people (white women) who voted against the amendment today will go right back to voting straight ticket R in Nov. Racism/bigotry is more important to them than their bodily autonomy. They'll vote to protect abortion as a single issue, but it's not enough of a reason to support giving money to minorities.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 3, 2022

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Oracle posted:

It was like 47-43 'no don't ban abortion'

Looks like it was the other way around

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-abortion-vote-in-kansas-looks-like-its-going-to-be-close/

quote:

According to the first publicly released poll of the campaign, conducted by co/efficient and shared exclusively with FiveThirtyEight, 47 percent of likely primary voters say they plan to vote for the amendment, while 43 percent say they plan to vote against it.

And it's not all in, but right now it's 60-40 against it

https://www.npr.org/sections/2022-l...ional-amendment

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lemming posted:

I think you missed the double negative

edit: actually I guess its a triple negative!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Polls being wrong in a good way is a refreshing change

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
loving drubbed. gently caress you pro-forced birthers. gently caress yeah Kansas.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

Polls being wrong in a good way is a refreshing change

This makes, what, six straight years of polling being just magic bullshit nerd numbers that mean absolutely nothing? Who the gently caress believes a single thing polls say anymore? I'd put more stock in my weekly horoscope turning out correctly at this point than I would anything Nate Silver or G Elliot Morris shits out and to try and silence the nagging voices in their souls whispering that they're dinosaurs who haven't yet managed to go extinct yet.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 3, 2022

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Currently the state has a GOP supermajority in both chambers and the gov race for Nov is a tossup so I wouldn't hold my breath. Yes the amendment failed but the GOP could pass an abortion ban over even a governor's veto any time they want. I'm guessing they'll wait until Jan to do so.

The reason the constitutional amendment was on the ballot was because in 2019, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled that the Kansas Constitution guaranteed the right to an abortion. So if the legislature passes an abortion ban, that would pretty certainly be stopped by the court.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They can't because a few years back the Kansas State Supreme Court ruled that the state constitution protected abortion, hence the attempt to do so via an amendment.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

This makes, what, six straight years of polling being just magic bullshit nerd numbers that mean absolutely nothing? Who the gently caress believes a single thing polls say anymore? I'd put more stock in my weekly horoscope turning out correctly at this point than I would anything Nate Silver or G Elliot Morris shits out and to try and silence the nagging voices in their souls whispering that they're dinosaurs who haven't yet managed to go extinct yet.

The national-level ones have been pretty accurate. It's the state-level polls that have sucked

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Fifteen of Many posted:

The Kansas anti-abortion constitutional amendment appears to have failed.

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1554639811595669505?s=21&t=ywPcJi002rKm0Mk_mTunbA

If the Democrats want to ride this to victory in the midterms there is one thing they need to do.

Have the house pass a bill to codify Abortion Rights into Federal Law.

Sure it will die in the Senate but it will force Republicans to go on the record.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think stuff like the pregnant 10 year old going around are actually having an effect on a lot of people who thought they're obviously just going to ban whatever they think abortion is in their head, ie something feckless whores do to avoid responsibility, and get cold feet when they actually see what it means in practice.

That and the many stories coming out about people in banned states having trouble getting treatment for ectopic pregnancies and other complications - it shows how bullshit the "health of the mother" exception is.

VideoGameVet posted:

If the Democrats want to ride this to victory in the midterms there is one thing they need to do.

Sure it will die in the Senate but it will force Republicans to go on the record.
Tim Kaine and Lisa Murkowski (lol) just introduced a bill to do exactly that.
https://www.axios.com/2022/08/01/kaine-murkowski-sponsor-bipartisan-abortion-access-bill

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 3, 2022

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

VideoGameVet posted:

this already happened

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/07/15/house-abortion-roe-v-wade/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also which Eric won tonight?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

The not quite as gross one (aka not Greitens)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Oracle posted:

It's just as well, there was an outside chance of a Todd Akin/Roy Moore situation if Greitens had won, but Missouri is so insane these days that he still would have been a heavy favorite

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

nine-gear crow posted:

Douche bag boot licker Eric Schmidt. He loving really sucks and has been a really lovely Attorney General (for example suing school districts who continued to implement covid-19 mask mandates).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Douche bag boot licker Eric Schmidt. He loving really sucks and has been a really lovely Attorney General (for example suing school districts who continued to implement covid-19 mask mandates).

Does the dem candidate have even an outside chance?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Lemming posted:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-abortion-vote-in-kansas-looks-like-its-going-to-be-close/

quote:

According to the first publicly released poll of the campaign, conducted by co/efficient and shared exclusively with FiveThirtyEight, 47 percent of likely primary voters say they plan to vote for the amendment, while 43 percent say they plan to vote against it.

And it's not all in, but right now it's 60-40 against it

https://www.npr.org/sections/2022-l...ional-amendment
So basically it's a variation on the classic. "The only moral vote for abortion is my secret vote for abortion."

Republicans really don't ever change.

And since our fine GOP voting neighbors once again find themselves lying to pollsters due to embarrassment about their vote, we could be seeing the first indicator of a return of the skewed polls we saw in 2016 and 2020, except this time in our favor.

Gonna be some interesting midterm elections.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 3, 2022

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

So basically it's a variation on the classic. "The only moral vote for abortion is my secret vote for abortion."

Republicans really don't ever change.

And since our fine GOP voting neighbors once again find themselves lying to pollsters due to embarrassment about their vote, we could be seeing the first indicator of a return of the skewed polls we saw in 2016 and 2020, except this time in our favor.

Gonna be some interesting midterm elections.

I am increasingly convinced that the problem the pollsters have isn't people lying to them, it's their complete ineptitude in adjusting the likely voter definition to account for big poo poo like abortion being outlawed. They just try really hard to make you think it's the first one (not their fault) so that you don't realize it's the second (absolutely their fault).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well I'm glad I was wrong about it being close :unsmith:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Oracle posted:

Having once lived in MO, I'm actually surprised by this. Even though Schmidt is a Ken Paxton wannabe, at least that accused rapist, kidnapper, domestic abuser, con artist, and overall human garbage Greitens isn't going anywhere other than back to his cesspool.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Why do people think getting Republicans "on the record" has any effect?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Oracle posted:

Against Greitens I would've said yes, but Missouri (I live in KS) has become very Trumpy. Their Governor Mike Parsons and Eric Schmidt are really popular with CHUDs and with the more moderate GOP voters. Maybe some story breaks that hurts Schmidt enough with suburban Moms, but I doubt it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Oracle posted:

No Missouri is a deep deep red state now and fantasizing about a return to 90s swing state Missouri is roughly as likely as republicans fantasies that they have a pick-up opportunity in Washington this year.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

The reason the constitutional amendment was on the ballot was because in 2019, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled that the Kansas Constitution guaranteed the right to an abortion. So if the legislature passes an abortion ban, that would pretty certainly be stopped by the court.

I admit I don't know the specifics of that case, but I think Republican politicians have shown that even when they wear robes, they are not above completely contradicting themselves within the span of a few days let alone years.

Also, I can very much see a suit being brought through the courts asserting that the Kansas Constitution is wrong and the current SCOTUS would almost certainly flip and say that it's not a state's rights issue but a sacred protection of unborn life.

I'm not saying it's not a good outcome, I'm saying that the media is making this out to be some watershed moment in the debate on abortion, and I just don't see that. The fascists won't give up, they'll use the courts when they can't win through legislation or referendum.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I admit I don't know the specifics of that case, but I think Republican politicians have shown that even when they wear robes, they are not above completely contradicting themselves within the span of a few days let alone years.

Also, I can very much see a suit being brought through the courts asserting that the Kansas Constitution is wrong and the current SCOTUS would almost certainly flip and say that it's not a state's rights issue but a sacred protection of unborn life.

I'm not saying it's not a good outcome, I'm saying that the media is making this out to be some watershed moment in the debate on abortion, and I just don't see that. The fascists won't give up, they'll use the courts when they can't win through legislation or referendum.

I certainly get what you mean by the fascists won't give up but suits have to have standing. How would one sue the state of Kansas over its own constitution? That it contradicts the US one? I don't think so.

That's not to say the SCOTUS won't find a way to outlaw abortion nationally. It's just that that road doesn't run through Kansas.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, yikes at all the cretins being boosted in Arizona. From the NYT

quote:

Blake Masters, a venture capitalist and political newcomer who received enthusiastic backing from former President Donald J. Trump, captured the Republican nomination for Arizona’s Senate seat, according to The Associated Press, and will face Mark Kelly, the Democratic incumbent, this fall.

Mr. Masters also had the backing of Peter Thiel, a technology mogul who spent more than $13 million supporting him in the primary. He defeated Jim Lamon, a former businessman, and Mark Brnovich, the Arizona attorney general.

Mr. Masters, who campaigned heavily on militarizing the border, repeatedly claimed that Democrats were trying to bring in more immigrants in an attempt to change the nation’s demographics and electorate. He embraced the term “nationalist” and said that gun violence should be blamed on “Black people, frankly.”

He also repeatedly made false claims that there had been widespread fraud in the 2020 election, and raised new fears of fraud before even a single ballot was cast during this year’s election.

At one point this spring, Mr. Masters suggested falsely to Republican activists that the F.B.I. had set up the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

In the final weeks of the campaign, Mr. Lamon attacked Mr. Masters for his relationship with Mr. Thiel, calling the billionaire a “globalist Facebook board member” and claiming that Big Tech would “own” Mr. Masters in the Senate. Mr. Lamon largely funded his own campaign, providing more than $15 million in loans, but he never led in the polls.

Like Mr. Masters, Mr. Lamon repeatedly promoted false claims that the 2020 presidential election had been stolen. He went as far as signing a document claiming that he was authorized to cast the state’s electoral votes for Mr. Trump.

Mr. Brnovich struggled to gain traction among the Republican base as he faced repeated attacks from Mr. Trump, who accused him of not sufficiently investigating accusations of fraud in the 2020 election — accusations that have been repeatedly debunked. Mr. Brnovich, who repeatedly raised alarms about an “invasion” on the border with Mexico, also faced criticism for choosing not to defend the state against several election-related Republican lawsuits.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dietrich posted:

I am increasingly convinced that the problem the pollsters have isn't people lying to them, it's their complete ineptitude in adjusting the likely voter definition to account for big poo poo like abortion being outlawed. They just try really hard to make you think it's the first one (not their fault) so that you don't realize it's the second (absolutely their fault).

ineptitude is a part of it, but the other part is pure rear end-covering.

best practices increasingly are to just not adjust the likely voter definition from the last sample, because any adjustment you make there is PURE guesswork, and an indefensible source of error if it turns out you're wrong.

so if you're personally trying to preserve your image as a view-from-nowhere voice of The Data, you pretend there have been no changes from last time, on the grounds doing more than that risks discrediting you.

even when, as we saw in 2020, you know for a fact that statement is utter insanity.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No Missouri is a deep deep red state now and fantasizing about a return to 90s swing state Missouri is roughly as likely as republicans fantasies that they have a pick-up opportunity in Washington this year.

Yeah, it had a reputation as a bellwether state, which it ceased to be in 2008 when they voted for McCain (that they didn't certify their election results for a while after Obama was declared the overall winner pending a recount in Missouri). Since then it's become red AF, or maybe it was that way since GWB.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Trump did not take the step of paying a soulless lawyer to come up with a dogshit argument as to why his orders were legal and therefore the norms were preserved, thank god.

Now back to my day job of torturing people at Guantanamo and drone striking children.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know where to put this but I honestly think that Trump endorsing "Eric" in Arizona was actually on purpose so he can claim that his supported candidate won no matter who it is.

"Everyone knows who I meant and that it was Eric __________ of course but the fake news media is trying to smear me. Those other Erics are losers and I would never endorse them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know where to put this but I honestly think that Trump endorsing "Eric" in Arizona was actually on purpose so he can claim that his supported candidate won no matter who it is.

"Everyone knows who I meant and that it was Eric __________ of course but the fake news media is trying to smear me"

Maybe. Don Jr and his girlfriend specified that "MAGA world" supported Greitens, though. There's still probably enough plausible deniability since Trump never specified himself.