Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
All Peele’s movies freaking own, warts and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Darko posted:

And the filmmaker coming in in the last third and joining the team, hanging out with their "Hooper" and ending up pretty much the same. And the way the alien dies by eating something and exploding. It's very structurally similar to Jaws.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely structurally more similar to Jaws. I just mean in terms of the horror elements and what kind of horror people might expect. Jaws is a lot more foreboding and Bruce honestly doesn't do a whole lot so it's more about the tension and people figuring out what's in the water.

Nope and JP are definitely more violent than Jaws, but because JJ and the dinos are known entities with a fair bit of screen time from the get-go, they don't feel as scary. Like, JJ is loud when it's wreaking havoc and anytime it's not on screen, you're wondering when you'll get to see more JJ. So, as someone who doesn't handle genuine horror movies all that well, I found Nope a lot closer to JP in terms of whether it's "scary" because it's genuinely exciting when JJ shows up rather than necessarily terrifying.

I think that's also why the Gordy scenes contrast so well and seem so much more disturbing. No music, static camera shots, and just that overwhelming sense of dread as opposed to JJ just coming in and going YOLO on everything.

So, as a non-horror watcher, if you're someone that doesn't handle jumpscares and such all that well, I give this a pretty good thumbs up. It's definitely disturbing and has a couple of jumpscares, but overall I thought it was more violent than scary in the same way JP was.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Jurassic Park is what came to mind while I was watching it specifically because of the spectacle.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

The Jean Jacket Experience

By the end of the experience you feel like poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

All Peele’s movies freaking own, warts and all.

Yeah.

Like, Get Out was pretty much perfect. Us was good, but I wasn't quite as enamored with it. Nope...hard to describe, thought it was a bit messy but also mostly awesome (I hate the title though tbh).

At first I thought it was a bit corny watching critics deem him the new master of horror after one movie, but honestly he's proving to be pretty awesome. Especially compared to other "good" horror that gets mainstream attention, like the dog poo poo where Jim from the office and his wife run from noise monsters. at worst, whatever Peele has done is still pretty interesting and different. Not that I think he has really done anything that would qualify as "worst" it's all been pretty solid.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Jupe and his family reminded me of that balloon boy hoax that happened years ago, where everyone thought some kid was trapped in a balloon that floated off and the news was following it very closely for a little while. The balloon looked ufo shaped as well, and it had turned out the guy was pitching some show on TLC about his family around the same time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

By the end of the experience you feel like poo poo

:eyepop:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Saw this movie last week, and the more I think about it the more I like it.

One of the things that resonated with me the most is the theme of how man interacts with nature: We exploit what we can control, and we destroy what we can't. This is put on full display right at the start of the movie: Lucky, a horse, is brought to a film set for an ad, so that his image can be used to sell a product and make money. But the moment Lucky does something unexpected by the film crew (Something that is natural for a horse), he's kicked off the set, replaced by CGI, and sold by OJ—he can't be controlled, thus he can't make money, therefore he's done away with.

Likewise, we're given the tragedy of Gordy. An intelligent animal that likely lived its entire life in captivity, trained to follow a series of commands, that is killed once it lashes out and becomes "dangerous" — despite, in its last moments, reverting back to its training. All for the sake of a cheap sitcom, one based around the appealing idea of being friends with a tame, controlled ape.

And finally, we're given Jean Jacket, the monstrous entity that terrorizes our heroes. It is unquestionably dangerous, and to humans, monstrous. It kills dozens of people throughout the film, and has been killing people for some time before it (Note the mention of missing hikers in the news broadcast). But before the characters of the film understand its true danger, they seek to exploit it, to earn fame and fortune through it. And, as in the case with the other animals of the film, once this strange, beautiful, and incredible creature becomes uncontrollable, it is destroyed.

In all three of these cases, the animal becoming dangerous was entirely predictable behavior. OJ even tried to call it out before the completely inadequate "Safety briefing" provided at on the film set. But as humans, we like to either anthropomorphize wild things, pretending that they think and act like us, or we like to think they're perfect controllable automatons. And when we find out they're not—that they have their own, alien thought patterns and instincts that at best we can sometimes train and predict—our own instinct is, like Gordy, to lash out and reduce the unpredictable living thing into a predictable corpse. Like a CGI horse.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 2, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Compare this to Holst's Jupiter, from The Planets

Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

This one doesn't land for me so much as a connection, if only because it seems like every motion picture composer quotes Holst at some point. Especially Mars.

But I did notice the name the first time I saw it!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wonder if Peele had 2001 in mind when referencing Jupiter, given the idea that both Jean Jacket and the monoliths are unknowable alien intelligences.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I think that was pretty personal for Jordan Peele because he was at Mad TV, and he got accepted to join SNL and MADtv would not let him out of his contract. He’s been bitter about it ever since and refused to go to the MADtv reunion.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 3, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ngl I wanna see that SNL sketch now.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Ngl I wanna see that SNL sketch now.

It's just Mr. Peepers, basically. Look up any of those bits and you'll have the gist of what it would be.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Steve Yun posted:

I think that was pretty personal for Jordan Peele because he was at Mad TV, and he got excepted to join SNL and MADtv would not let him out of his contract. He’s been bitter about it ever cents and refused to go to the MADtv reunion.

are all of those typos intentional :stare:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Even Steven Yeun was misspelled! wow, just wow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Heffer posted:

I was surprised my movie buddy didn't notice the signaling behind Holst taking pills. He was probably terminally ill and that factored into his actions.

I didn’t notice but my roommate is disabled and notices those kinds of things and pointed it out to me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Sorry, I did voice to text

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

Even Steven Yeun was misspelled! wow, just wow

One time I went to a convention as a guest and when I got off the plane a driver was there to pick me up with a sign that had my name on it. Turns out it was a limo! I usually got picked up in sedans. I was brought to a fancy hotel and was like oh wow, this convention is really rolling out the red carpet for me! Then when I tried checking into my room, they said they couldn’t find my reservation. I stood there for almost half an hour as they tried to figure out what was wrong until finally one of the convention organizers came running through the lobby to me and then explained that this hotel was for Steven Yeun and that they’d drive me over to the Raddison where my reservation was. I might have stolen his limo, so I wonder who picked him up at the airport

I thought it was funny and went over to his signing booth to tell him what happened but they were charging $65 to talk to him

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 3, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Everyone’s been pointing out that the alien looks like a hat but something I haven’t seen mentioned is that it looks like a giant eye. I guess because EEAAO is still on my mind and eyes were a prominent symbol there it stuck out to me. It’s a big white circle with a small black circle!

The alien can be seen to represent audience eyeballs, since everyone is chasing fame, and it’s even more interesting that the flying eyeball consumes what it looks at

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This thread has really illuminated the symbolism of the movie for me. When I first got out, my takeaway was that the alien represented white supremacy. Maybe the Emmett Till trailer right before colored my view: everyone has to avoid making eye contact with it the way minorities couldn’t make eye contact with whites for a long time in America. It’s not as strong as the fame interpretation but I figure it’s still worth thinking about since all the people with power in the creative world are portrayed as white

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The dynamic of the old white filmmaker mentoring young black creatives, getting killed because he had a deathwish, then the young black creatives succeeding in the end reminded me a lot of Django Unchained

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Steve Yun posted:

The dynamic of the old white filmmaker mentoring young black creatives, getting killed because he had a deathwish, then the young black creatives succeeding in the end reminded me a lot of Django Unchained

not only did he get killed, he put them all in mortal danger

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere but the view during the opening credits and the star lasso experience when everyone gets sucked up... that's an extreme close-up of Jean Jacket's iris, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lastdancer posted:

I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere but the view during the opening credits and the star lasso experience when everyone gets sucked up... that's an extreme close-up of Jean Jacket's iris, right?
My interpretation of what that is is it is literally a view from what would be Jean Jacket's perspective, although Jean Jacket itself presumably would have become accustomed to the framing of the square-snapping parts around the square 'retinal' field. Presumably the viewing perspective moves around, shrouded by the rest of the organism, looking out of the hole to scan for prey. It is possible that it is able to detect some factor in eyes pointing towards it - eyeshine or something...

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Lastdancer posted:

Yes. Or at least, whatever weird sensory organ you would call a floaty expanding flutterbox.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There’s just so much I like about this script the more I think about it

Unlike typical power fantasies where the hero has something great that he’s born with like Jedi powers or being a wizard, being good with horses is a real not-weapon-related skill he honed his whole life, and that skill is what gave him the insight to fight the alien.

It also works as a great ode to below-the-line crew on movie production, people who never get the credit that actors and directors do

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
At the end when Emerald sees that OJ survived, he’s framed in a wooden gate that I’m pretty sure was 16:9

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Just want to add that I literally had a sign to watch Nope this morning when I went to the smoke shop

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do you guys remember a pig on a roof in the movie? I must’ve missed it the pig survived because it can’t look up

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
I'm surprised nobody in here has talked about the brilliant, visually evocative, effective, and so-cheap-we-have-10%-of-our-budget-back-for-cgi choice to have the monster's presence preceded by the loving battery dying on a dancy balloon man. Jordan Peele definitely found the most creative transposition from Speilberg's buoys in the water in Jaws to that. It's got the same dirt cheap duct-tape ethos and is weirdly gorgeous to look at on a large scale.

I also love the choice of putting the chimp fist bump in the trailer, as devoid of context the viewer is sure to interpret it as an alien's hand reaching under the table. There's a lot of savvy poo poo in that trailer that primes the audience to be more surprised by the reveal that JJ is an organism.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

One time I went to a convention as a guest and when I got off the plane a driver was there to pick me up with a sign that had my name on it. Turns out it was a limo! I usually got picked up in sedans. I was brought to a fancy hotel and was like oh wow, this convention is really rolling out the red carpet for me! Then when I tried checking into my room, they said they couldn’t find my reservation. I stood there for almost half an hour as they tried to figure out what was wrong until finally one of the convention organizers came running through the lobby to me and then explained that this hotel was for Steven Yeun and that they’d drive me over to the Raddison where my reservation was

I thought it was funny and went over to his signing booth to tell him what happened but they were charging $65 to talk to him
lol owned

That's pretty amazing though.

e:

Steve Yun posted:

Do you guys remember a pig on a roof in the movie? I must’ve missed it the pig survived because it can’t look up
I think OJ notices a pig on the roof of one of the buildings at Jupiter's Claim when he goes to get Lucky after the Star Lasso show has already been abducted. It's kind of notable as a "something really hosed up happened here" shot. I guess it still got sucked pretty hard but didn't make it all the way, which brings up some kinda confusing stuff about how exactly JJ's succ works, but oh well.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 3, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Martman posted:

I think OJ notices a pig on the roof of one of the buildings at Jupiter's Claim when he goes to get Lucky after the Star Lasso show has already been abducted. It's kind of notable as a "something really hosed up happened here" shot. I guess it still got sucked pretty hard but didn't make it all the way, which brings up some kinda confusing stuff about how exactly JJ's succ works, but oh well.
My take on the topic in the spoiler was JJ's using body suction and whatever bizarre electromagnetic scalar wave Tesla bullshit it also uses to fly (which is probably why it fucks with electronics) to slurp up food. It was probably not trying very hard for the pig as it had just eaten about forty humans and the pig wasn't looking at it; it seems plausible that JJ was just FULL, and had the crowd been large enough, some of them would have escaped being eaten simply because JJ could only slurp up so many apes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The pig on the roof is like the shoe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

[Cinema Sins voice] this shoe obviously should have fallen over because shoes are not balanced to stand like that *ding*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wonder if Jean Jacket will qualify as Peele's iconic horror movie monster.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Just want to add that I literally had a sign to watch Nope this morning when I went to the smoke shop

I haven’t seen you this enthusiastic about a movie since Portrait of a Lady on Fire. :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

I haven’t seen you this enthusiastic about a movie since Portrait of a Lady on Fire. :)

I was also hyped after EEAAO. It's great to get two bangers this good after the drought of 2020 and 2021

I might be grasping for straws here but I can't help but feel that OJ being orange and Emerald being green mean something, but I have no idea what

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I enjoyed this movie a lot, but it actually made me feel the same way I felt watching "Us." I loved the first half, was thinking "this is the greatest film I've ever seen" during the earlier action setpieces, but then ended up feeling vaguely unsatisfied by the end as the film got messier and moved towards the finale.

i'm not usually one to nitpick what feel like plot holes, but this one genuinely bugs me: how do OJ and Emerald not know about the UFO if Steven Yeun is apparently hosting weekly ufo shows, which he apparently advertises and sells tickets for, right next door? Imho, Yeun's story felt too detached from OJ and Emerald's: like a parallel story when they should have been intersecting. Given the weight they give the Gordy backstory, I expected a lot more from that character

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

i'm not usually one to nitpick what feel like plot holes, but this one genuinely bugs me: how do OJ and Emerald not know about the UFO if Steven Yeun is apparently hosting weekly ufo shows, which he apparently advertises and sells tickets for, right next door? In general, Yeun's story felt too detached from OJ and Emerald's imho: like a parallel story when they should have been intersecting. Given the weight they give the Gordy backstory, I expected a lot more from that character

he wasn't. it was a solo venture that he was cultivating, and the big crowd was the rollout event. thats why he came over to hand over the flyer and invite them over. what I took from it, is that Yeun precipitated the events of the entire movie by leaving out food for the monster, because he had an unhealthy relationship with animal "costars". kind of a grizzly man situation.