Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

psydude posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0833cd06f11794

Apparently the head of the Irish State's wife failed to see the irony in drawing a false equivalence between a sovereign nation state defending its territory and an imperialist neighbor with a small ethnic constituency invading and subjecting the majority to cultural genocide.

Is she best friends with Clare Daly by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Anyone remember the footage of the lone UAF tank ambushing the Russian column of BTRs? I think they found the tank commander and interviewed him, but I don’t know Ukrainian.

https://mobile.twitter.com/radiosvoboda/status/1554392618741768193

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

Anyone remember the footage of the lone UAF tank ambushing the Russian column of BTRs? I think they found the tank commander and interviewed him, but I don’t know Ukrainian.

https://mobile.twitter.com/radiosvoboda/status/1554392618741768193

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTrQiFkWyk

source video for the record, brave/lucky as gently caress tank crew tbh, jumping a Russian convoy with a single tank and some infantry, when the Russians could and did try to dismount to gently caress your day up after you attack them.

I think this was one of the convoys that was pushing for Kyiv and was forced to retreat?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 2, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do they ask him to comment on his atrocious shooting? :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Do they ask him to comment on his atrocious shooting? :v:

Blame the gunner anyways but I don't know exactly what tank they had, it might have not had thermal sights, I'm not a tank analyst so I don't know the model of the tank. Stuff thats T-80 or newer should have them? If that's a T-84 then yeah they should have had thermals.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 3, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Blame the gunner anyways but I don't know exactly what tank they had, it might have not had thermal sights, I'm not a tank analyst so I don't know the model of the tank. Stuff thats T-80 or newer should have them? If that's a T-84 then yeah they should have had thermals.

Ukrainians use modernized T-64s. I believe some were in the process of being fitted with thermal sights, but I doubt it's widespread.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Any idea how deploying a smokescreen could make a Russian supply train blow up?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"we had to blow up the train in order to save it"

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Smoke projectors may launch WP (or anything that burns hot as hell) to create hot smoke to disrupt thermal vision.

WP getting chucked about next to, say, small waxed paperboard boxes containing little boom in the same train as bigger boxes containing bigger boom could very easily go sideways. Or up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Germany: no Russian gas? No problem! We'll just burn more coal.

Mother Nature: lol no you aren't, bitch

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-02/europe-s-vital-rhine-river-is-on-brink-of-effectively-closing

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

psydude posted:

Germany: no Russian gas? No problem! We'll just burn more coal.

Mother Nature: lol no you aren't, bitch

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-02/europe-s-vital-rhine-river-is-on-brink-of-effectively-closing

Question. Apart from natural gas (unavailable due to geopolitical instability), coal (dirty), and nuclear (too easy to gently caress up), what energy options does Germany meaningfully have?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Quackles posted:

Question. Apart from natural gas (unavailable due to geopolitical instability), coal (dirty), and nuclear (too easy to gently caress up), what energy options does Germany meaningfully have?

They have three operational nuclear plants they're planning to decommission at the end of the year, and three they just decommissioned at the beginning of this year that could likely be brought back online (this would require substantial government assistance due to the costs). In the less environmentally friendly arena, they also have domestic natural gas reserves that could be tapped, but that would take time.

This is a self-inflicted wound for which there's no short term solution. We're seeing what happens when a sclerotic government engages in short term planning and improper risk mitigation for energy policy. Then again, the German voters continually rewarded the CDU for years of dumb decisions like this.

After years of chastising everyone else in Europe for not doing things the "German way," I'm sure Spain, Poland, and the likes are experiencing a good amount of schadenfreude. And all of those Schwäbische Hausfrauen are going to be doing a lot less lüften this winter.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 3, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Turns out looking at the end result of intentionally discarding nuclear reactor safety and assuming that's just how nuclear power plants work and burning it all down to force your country to suckle on the Russian natgas teat for power and heat is a really stupid loving idea. Who could have guessed? :byoscience:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

They have three operational nuclear plants they're planning to decommission at the end of the year, and three they just decommissioned at the beginning of this year that could likely be brought back online (this would require substantial government assistance due to the costs). In the less environmentally friendly arena, they also have domestic natural gas reserves that could be tapped, but that would take time.

This is a self-inflicted wound for which there's no short term solution. We're seeing what happens when a sclerotic government engages in short term planning and improper risk mitigation for energy policy. Then again, the German voters continually rewarded the CDU for years of dumb decisions like this.

After years of chastising everyone else in Europe for not doing things the "German way," I'm sure Spain, Poland, and the likes are experiencing a good amount of schadenfreude. And all of those Schwäbische Hausfrauen are going to be doing a lot less lüften this winter.

I mean.... for fucks sake.

What does it take to try nuke?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean.... for fucks sake.

What does it take to try nuke?

They had a functioning nuclear infrastructure for a long time before now, but the literal mission of the German Green party is to end nuclear power in the country and they don't give a poo poo about how much coal they burn to do it, because they are afraid of the radiant glow of almighty Atom, nevermind that coal power plants emit 100x more radiation via Uranium, Radium, Thorium, and Potassium than a functioning nuclear plant at the same power level.

(The fact that the amount from coal is like 0.05μSv/yr (equivalent to eating ~65% of a banana) says something about how clean nuclear plants are, that they discharge 1/100th of the airborne radioactive material.)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 3, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Quackles posted:

nuclear (too easy to gently caress up)

:chloe:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

orange juche posted:

They had a functioning nuclear infrastructure for a long time before now, but the literal mission of the German Green party is to end nuclear power in the country and they don't give a poo poo about how much coal they burn to do it, because they are afraid of the radiant glow of almighty Atom, nevermind that coal power plants emit 100x more radiation via Uranium, Radium, Thorium, and Potassium than a functioning nuclear plant at the same power level.

(The fact that the amount from coal is like 0.05μSv/yr (equivalent to eating ~65% of a banana) says something about how clean nuclear plants are, that they discharge 1/100th of the airborne radioactive material.)

I'm certainly pro-nuclear power, but this is a little unfair to folks opposed to nuclear power. It's not the regular operation of nuclear plants that's the fear, it's what happens if something goes wrong.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Quackles posted:

Short answer is LNG terminals

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nuclear - So easy to gently caress up that it has the highest safety rating, even higher than renewables.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It's like the Germans never played a game of Funkenschlag before

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm certainly pro-nuclear power, but this is a little unfair to folks opposed to nuclear power. It's not the regular operation of nuclear plants that's the fear, it's what happens if something goes wrong.

I'll grant you that the fear of being irradiated is more tangible for the average person than being slowly cooked to death due to global warming. Although the average German can now tangibly experience being slowly cooked to death on a packed regional train, so maybe that'll change.

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 3, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EasilyConfused posted:

I mean it's not like people weren't killed by other power options, be it for lung cancer or drowning(yes, hydro can kill).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Quackles posted:

(too easy to gently caress up)
That's a weird way to spell Greens.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Nuclear - So easy to gently caress up that it has the highest safety rating, even higher than renewables.

In Illinois even the power company is trying to get out of nuclear because gas and coal plants are much cheaper to run, even as they talk about renewable energy sources.

Is Germany involved in the ITER fusion project? It seems like it's mostly US-Japan-France-UK.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

In Illinois even the power company is trying to get out of nuclear because gas and coal plants are much cheaper to run, even as they talk about renewable energy sources.

Is Germany involved in the ITER fusion project? It seems like it's mostly US-Japan-France-UK.

Yeah, this is a huge problem with the whole 'renewables are cheap' excuse every Environmentalist/Green Party candidate rants about : Cheap is not solving climate change. Cheap is Fossil Fuels backyard. When they rant about how cheap it is, what they mean is they can make more profits on overhead versus having to actually maintain their plants.

Thankfully Illinois threatened their power operators when they wanted to close their plants, or we'd have more Indian Point style scenarios where they close a zero emissions nuclear plant, promise renewables, and then just burn natural gas.

SlowBloke posted:

I mean it's not like people weren't killed by other power options, be it for lung cancer or drowning(yes, hydro can kill).

Yes, unfortunately Hydro has a huge bodycount. Not a reason not to do it, given the crisis we face.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 3, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hydro is the only power source that had to contend with sirens and krakens, ofc it has a high bodycount

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Hydro is the only power source that had to contend with sirens and krakens, ofc it has a high bodycount

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJmU_wXF6zo

definitely no joke lol water will kill you and there's nothing you can do about it

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

The X-man cometh posted:

Fusion is a fun science project and not relevant to our current climate crisis.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

The cost aspect should be solved by the Small Modular reactors that are becoming available. GE-Hitachi is already beginning to productize them.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this is a huge problem with the whole 'renewables are cheap' excuse every Environmentalist/Green Party candidate rants about : Cheap is not solving climate change. Cheap is Fossil Fuels backyard. When they rant about how cheap it is, what they mean is they can make more profits on overhead versus having to actually maintain their plants.

Well, plus we need some kind of thermal power as a stop gap measure until we can find a way to better manage excess capacity in the grid (and even then - sometimes the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow). Nuclear is a good candidate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

definitely no joke lol water will kill you and there's nothing you can do about it

I absolutely wasn't challenging it, everything about water in quantities larger than a bathtub is absurdly powerful and dangerous.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDpqphHhAE

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This was an extremely good video.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

goddamnit i thought the tape said Most Dangerous Dames!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SlowBloke posted:

Thousands upon thousands of tons of dihydrogen monoxide, stored in the open and exposed to the elements, with little or no regulation, or even barriers to keep the public safely away. O tempora, o mores.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

psydude posted:

Thank god the nuclear power plants don't need cooling water from those rivers that are falling dry :v:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

psydude posted:

Even loving Trump said during the UN General Assembly in like 2018 that Germany was on its way to becoming completely addicted to Russian energy, and the German delegation basically laughed it off.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Thank god the nuclear power plants don't need cooling water from those rivers that are falling dry :v:

I mean so do the coal plants.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

Most steam generation methods do, including gas and coal. The internal loop is sealed, as modern nuclear plants use a two loop system.

Trust me, they can get water still and they wouldn't run the plant otherwise. Ironically, this is also an issue for the other big green energy solution in Europe: Hydro.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Seems like there's plenty they can do about it, mostly by not dicking around right at the bottom of the dam and especially not being so negligent as to take their kids out there with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Banqiao_Dam_failure

I never heard of this good christ :magical: