Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

the last guy we did for treason was an Irish-American who we technically didn't have jurisdiction over

but he was also a Nazi who cursed Jews with his final words so gently caress him

William Joyce would have his own GB News slot today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

the last guy we did for treason was an Irish-American who we technically didn't have jurisdiction over

but he was also a Nazi who cursed Jews with his final words so gently caress him

Technically, the last person tried under the Treason Act 1842 was Marcus Sarjeant, who shot blanks at the Queen during the Trooping the Colour. He got 5 years, was out in 3. Joyce was done for high treason, which was under the Treason Act of 1351, because lol

Counterfeiting used to be regarded as high treason, which is a thing I either didn't know or had forgotten

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

crispix posted:

like the furthest i'd go is i might tell the queen she's a horrible old bag if i saw her out and about, but i'd like to know my rights

I would ask her to lend me fifty quid.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would punch the queen into the jaw, as a symbol.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

keep punching joe posted:

the availability of opel branded corsas is fairly good round here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Careful now

https://twitter.com/charleshymas/status/1554710430366449664?t=NUJxYMqsKyS7XjAi4iy0lQ&s=19

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Not entirely opposed to making FBPEism illegal to be fair

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

looking forward to spending my days drinking gin in a cafe and loving our leader

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Doesn't sound too bad does it Winston. I personally welcome tiny train world.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

I'm sure our passionate principled free speech warriors will fight against this with the same fervour they bring to wanting to be able to say slurs consequence free.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

See you all in the gulags, lads

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tories shocked that this new law backfires after their villainous behaviour gets them arrested.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

At this rate we'll risk a sternly worded letter from the UN. Which the tories will then try to leave.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh this genre of social media post seems like a good before/after comparison for political promises and what they deliver https://twitter.com/y2_kazoo/status/1554581246168137728?s=20&t=FxexqRL0nUJMgeZrFeyfag

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Burying the lede a bit there

quote:

Mr Sunak also announced proposals to “refocus” Prevent onto Islamic extremism as the biggest threat to the security of the UK after complaints that it had tilted too much towards Right-wing militants radicalised over the internet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's about preventing Islam, not about preventing murderers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
There's something suspiciously like an air raid siren going off right now and it's very disconcerting.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

There's something suspiciously like an air raid siren going off right now and it's very disconcerting.

I think they use them for severe flood warnings in some areas these days. Is that a possibility?

Or maybe Bruce Dickinson is in town....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p67XDB8LzUs

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 3, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think they use them for severe flood warnings in some areas these days. Is that a possibility?

Don't think so, looking through twitter there are periodic posts every few months of mysterious sirens in my area. Maybe I moved to silent hill.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

*me watching as rust and barbed wire covers everything and penitent horrors rise from the ground* yeah. Yeah this tracks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They run the siren at the chemical factory near me fairly often so I'm kind of used to them.

Also possible that some scallywag has just bought one and enjoys giving it a good crank every now and then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bloody woke horrors, showing penitence. Don't like this dimension then leave.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

They run the siren at the chemical factory near me fairly often so I'm kind of used to them.

Also possible that some scallywag has just bought one and enjoys giving it a good crank every now and then.

There's a big ICI complex nearby, so maybe that's it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah then yes that's probably what you're hearing, you can hear the one at redcar from like, ten miles away. They test them quite often.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Don't think so, looking through twitter there are periodic posts every few months of mysterious sirens in my area. Maybe I moved to silent hill.

I think it's more likely that Silent Hill has moved to you.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OwlFancier posted:

Last time I was visiting mother last week someone was playing silly buggers with one of the big flare stack valves at Wilton, exceedingly Blade Runner vibes on my drive past.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's dead good when it's going full tilt at night, whole sky lights up from underneath with flickering orange, looks like the mouth of hell has opened up.

Which granted you would probably not notice the difference if it did.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

From the chat thread, now with capitals and punctuation because I can code switch if I want.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNqKuYAr/?k=1

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Guy who claims to have worked for the energy ombudsman claims that you should keep your bill payments where they are, then when your account goes into arrears, you file a complaint.

He claims this means the company cannot do any debt collection, and they get charged £500 if you hold out til it gets passed to the ombudsman. If enough claims are lodged, the company gets fined and their ability to trade is harmed somehow.

The main issue with this is that it's the ombudsman who keeps okaying the price rises, so im not sure how this will help consumers, apart from delaying the bill hoping the government have a change of heart.

It does bloody the company's nose a bit though.
Anyone have any input on this, reality check, good advice, bad advice? It seems like a better idea than the Don't Pay thing of just cancelling your DD, but I'm doubtful it would achieve much either, since I imagine if the fines harm the company too much they'll just get bailed out by the government anyway, and you'll still have to pay it later.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i keep having dreams about churchill :/

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

enjoys giving it a good crank every now and then.

who among us etc etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's the Independent Thought Alarm, have you been vilifying Britain recently?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

looking forward to spending my days drinking gin in a cafe and loving our leader

Good thread on this

https://twitter.com/netpol/status/1554498786185158658?t=AttArBW6gkO2XnT7_hmuHQ&s=19

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Up until a couple of years ago, air raid sirens used to go off every week in the woods around Broadmoor as a test in case an inmate escaped, which was definitely a memorable experience when you were out in the woods walking the dog by yourself.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Someone is going for the dog ending. Only the Dog behind it all is the nodding Churchill dog from those insurance ads.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I live near the site of a psychiatric hospital (not there now) and when I was a kid, whenever the fire alarm went off inside-- which it did weekly at least-- it sounded an air raid siren outside. Ah, the 80s and the ever present sense of looming nuclear Armageddon.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Apraxin posted:

Don't know about the author, but I remember the book got a lot of pushback because the main thesis is that German identity is inherently anti-semitic in a way no other country is and so Germans are uniquely prone to doing Holocausts:

'(Goldhagen argues that the) vast majority of ordinary Germans were "willing executioners" in the Holocaust because of a unique and virulent "eliminationist antisemitism" in German political culture which had developed in the preceding centuries. Goldhagen argues that eliminationist antisemitism was the cornerstone of German national identity, was unique to Germany, and because of it ordinary German conscripts killed Jews willingly. Goldhagen asserts that this mentality grew out of medieval attitudes rooted in religion and was later secularized.'

The whole sonderweg thing is very much 1950s/1960s historiography and pretty discredited these days. Turns out any country can do an antisemitism in the right circumstances; if you'd been asked circa 1930 which country in Europe was likely to do a deathcamps most people would probably have picked France.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

Ah, the 80s and the ever present sense of looming nuclear Armageddon.
Seems more like a missed opportunity to rip the plaster off now we've decided to commit to slow cooking the planet instead.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

https://twitter.com/netpol/status/1554498791620886529?t=UwAuYS2k09ePaaNX3iWReg&s=19

Maybe a more detailed description is given elsewhere, but my reading of that screenshot is that the guidelines are so broadly written that anything from being in an anarchist band to campaigning for an SNP candidate could be "high level aggravated activism".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Seems more like a missed opportunity to rip the plaster off now we've decided to commit to slow cooking the planet instead.

Yes but the meat is so much more tender this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Selling copies of The Perverts Guide To Ideology from the boot of my car until I get gulag'ed