Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Residency Evil posted:

Monkeypaw.gif

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but is there any reason NOT to buy the airpods 3 today if my airpods 2 have finally poo poo the bed and I don't care for the tips on the Airpods Pro?
The only thing I can think of is that I've seen complaints about the fit cause the bigger size.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think if you're dropping ~200 or more for some headphones, the extra $30 isn't a bad idea to get an extra year out of them.
Yeah, particularly if you think you'll be using them a bunch and be more likely to kill the batteries sooner in the first place.

And wonder if it's like the other warranties they've changed at some point semi recently (with the AC+ rebrand?), where you can keep extending it.

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, beats fit pros are better earbuds with a worse case, and airpod pros are worse earbuds with a better case
They don't seem to do the Find My updating either :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not just an extra year though it covers damage and stuff that the normal warranty doesn’t cover.

It’s definitely worth the $30.

Have people had success with this approach? Seems like my airpods significantly degrade after 1-2 years (current ones are 3 years old).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t understand how anyone can comfortably wear any of apple’s regular hard plastic no-soft-tip earbuds.

They were basically pack-in torture devices when they came with the iPhones.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works fine in my ears OP.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know you're not supposed to jam them in you ear holes, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t understand how anyone can comfortably wear any of apple’s regular hard plastic no-soft-tip earbuds.

EarPods were fine. The old pack-ins sucked though. I do still have a pair of regular EarPods and lightning EarPods just in case I need some wired headphones.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the main source of earbud discomfort for me is how far in the ear they go, not hardness of the plastic, and regular airpods are a bit more comfortable because they sit further out than the soft-tip sealing kind. the sealing kind sound better and block noise better so it’s worth the trade off to me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My gen 1 airpods, the hard plastic ones, are still my most used earbuds because I have lovely ears that are prone to infection and they breathe easier than soft-tipped buds that form a seal.

They only ever get uncomfortable after hours of wear, too, the shape works for me. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, agreed. I don't have Steve's Perfect Ears.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've always been jealous of people that could walk around with earbuds and actually use them to listen to stuff. Whenever I put them in they were one stray head turn away from completely falling out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The hard plastic EarPods/AirPods never made sense to me bc you have to blast volume so loud since there's zero seal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Josh Lyman posted:

The hard plastic EarPods/AirPods never made sense to me bc you have to blast volume so loud since there's zero seal.

I don't think I've ever increased the volume past 50% with any of the hard plastic earpods on any device lol

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Josh Lyman posted:

I like them because they let in road noise which helps you not die when running.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
It’s me, the person who willingly chose to buy AirPods Gen 3 instead of AirPods Pro because I think the regular AirPods are pretty awesome and are very comfortable and stable in my ears.

Conversely to some of the sentiment here, I don’t know how people can find it comfortable having silicone tips jammed into your ear holes for hours.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate having anything stuffed into my ear canals but they're the only earbuds that actually stay in my ears so it's purely a case where it's the only solution that actually works. Someday science will be able to provide buds that fit my ears but the technology is clearly not there yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To perpetuate the thread title, ever since I upgraded from some OG AirPods to Pros my listening life has been meaningfully worse. The silicone tips seal better, yes, but after about an hour on a plane or whatever, they've jarred loose so much wax it's just unbearable on a variety of levels. Plus they fall out more whereas the hard plastic ones never did.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Data Graham posted:

To perpetuate the thread title, ever since I upgraded from some OG AirPods to Pros my listening life has been meaningfully worse. The silicone tips seal better, yes, but after about an hour on a plane or whatever, they've jarred loose so much wax it's just unbearable on a variety of levels. Plus they fall out more whereas the hard plastic ones never did.

May I interest you in an ear cleaning kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Debrox-Drops...ps%2C240&sr=8-1

edit: No but really, maybe check out some different tips? They shouldn't fall out like that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i have one ear that tends to clog and i have better luck with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide than debrox

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Believe me, I am a connoisseur of such stuff. Those earbuds seem to create their own biological singularity.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I hate the feeling of the seal of in ear earbuds and this

Residency Evil posted:

I like them because they let in road noise which helps you not die when running.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i've never tried any of the airpods but i bought a pair of discontinued solo pro headphones when i wanted something with noise cancellation + the h1 chip for seamless transition betweeen phone and macbook because i never cared for any of the pack in ones. i'm also far less likely to lose them which is also a bonus

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The EarPods never fit in my ears ever. They would stay in maybe for five seconds and slip out shortly thereafter.

The standard AirPods however never slip out of my ear. They are perfect and blessed.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the heavier stems on airpods really help them stay in and keep the weight distributed well

i had the same problem with wired earbuds falling out easily, but airpods were solid for me

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

There were a few different versions of the earbuds before EarPods :eng101:

I forget how many, but of the ones I had I distinctly remember some being painful and some being totally fine so :shrug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I paid way too much money for a brand new pair of lightning Earpods when I got an iPhone 12. I vastly prefer them for commuting.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

They're extremely light and non-invasive to me. Like I don't have to jam them in at all to get them stay on, they just rest comfortably. YMMV, obv

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

xzzy posted:

I've always been jealous of people that could walk around with earbuds and actually use them to listen to stuff. Whenever I put them in they were one stray head turn away from completely falling out.

Same. I don’t know how they fit on normal people so they stay in, but I’ve never been able to wear earbuds and such.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

Same. I don’t know how they fit on normal people so they stay in, but I’ve never been able to wear earbuds and such.

Same. I pretty much need some kind of wing tip for them to stay in so any kind of AirPod is a non-starter. Even the Pros fall out pretty easily.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anyone ever have one airpod (in this case, it is the right AirPod pro) just stop charging. I was listening to my left one this morning for about 30 minutes. Suddenly, I get an audio notification that my right one (in the case and had been for 12+ hours) is at 0 percent.

I pop that one in my ear and it shows on my phone that it is 84% before immediately going to zero. I put it back into the case and it does not show it is charging when I close the lid (green light). When I put the left one in, it begins charging (red when closed) and on my phone it shows that the right one is charging (showing on my phone).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ my ~3 year old left airpod does that, and when it does charge to 100, it only lasts 15-20 min before cutting out. if i pop it back in the case and then put it back in my ear, it will show some random battery percentage, sometimes high sometimes <10%, but either way it will go to zero and disconnect again within minutes if not immediately. just a sign of a failing battery.

it's also possible that it's not making good contact in the case. you could try cleaning it out with a qtip or something in case there is debris in the way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone ever have one airpod (in this case, it is the right AirPod pro) just stop charging. I was listening to my left one this morning for about 30 minutes. Suddenly, I get an audio notification that my right one (in the case and had been for 12+ hours) is at 0 percent.

I pop that one in my ear and it shows on my phone that it is 84% before immediately going to zero. I put it back into the case and it does not show it is charging when I close the lid (green light). When I put the left one in, it begins charging (red when closed) and on my phone it shows that the right one is charging (showing on my phone).

Yeah my right airpod pro died in this exact same way and I had to go to the Apple store to get it replaced.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get it every so often with my left airpod. I think sometimes it just doesn't make proper contact with the connection inside the case.. it doesn't sit right or dust gets in there, who knows. But when I reinsert it, it starts charging immediately so it's not broken.

Steve would say I'm inserting them wrong.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah when I’m putting mine in the case I always insert them and reinsert them until the light turns on so that I know it’s making contact. Nothing more frustrating than leaving for a run and the left is at 100% and the right is at 15.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I had an issue with my entire phone (especially with a charger case) not charging from certain lightning cables or the wall plug overheating and turning off intermittently from supplying juice to the charger case as well as the phone.

The same case also could not use my lightning stock earbuds or rather could not accept control input through the port (audio was coming out.) Same headphones will not work on my iPad, intermittently.

In conclusion all of these things work sometimes but not others and it is very frustrate.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think the determining factor with the airpods issue above is if that airpod is showing that it's at 80+% battery (individually, not as a pair) and still dying within minutes. if that's the case, it probably needs to be replaced.

but if the battery status accurately shows the individual airpod is low and the case lights don't indicate it's charging, then it may just need to be cleaned to get better case contact

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My iMac sometimes reports that my AirPods are at 255%. I think they’re just unreliable little buggers.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve seen news that YouTube PiP is enabled again for non-premium users. I’ve gotten it to work out out 5 or fewer times in the Safari browser. I’ve updated everything and enabled PiP in the general settings and in the YouTube app settings. I don’t see any other options related to it. Various tutorials say I enable it by swiping up in the app, but that doesn’t do anything but either opens the control center or zooms in and moves the video around until i let go. Hitting the home button on the app just closes the window, while doing so in the browser at least puts the video in the draggable window before it closes.

This is on an iPhone 8. Is that the source of the problem, either because the feature isn’t completely rolled out or because my aging phone can’t handle it? It worked before that update a while back that disabled it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It doesn't work for videos that are tagged as music, but based on your description I'm leaning towards it being an iPhone 8 thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I tried doing YouTube PiP with Firefox and it didn’t work. I also tried a few other video sites with Safari, and those did work.

I got it to to work on Safari YouTube once on a short video a few minutes ago, but couldn’t on the same a second later. Dragging the maximized video around seems to increase the likelihood of it working, but that might just be me being superstitious. So I’m questioning whether the the PiP is unreliable, or that the efforts to prevent me from using PiP are unreliable.