Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PBCrunch posted:

I like this kind of wire holder. It is light enough to use in situations where one or both of the wires to be joined can't be relocated.

I make them myself in different sizes out of little pieces of coat hanger wire and crimp-on alligator clamps.

You can also get them at smoke shops lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

You can also get them at smoke shops lol

drat just barely beat me to it. Double roach clips!

On the topic of l keys, or Allen wrenches, I got this set from Wiha and was pleased with the auto open holder. All the keys are held together in a mechanism that rotates them all at once and it's very easy to get the one you want out without rotating four individually.

https://www.wihatools.com/ergostar-ball-end-hex-l-key-inch-13pc-set

Edit I actually got the magic ring version which holds the bolt on the end too.

https://www.wihatools.com/magicringr-screw-holding-ball-hex-l-key-22-piece-set

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

Edit I actually got the magic ring version which holds the bolt on the end too.

https://www.wihatools.com/magicringr-screw-holding-ball-hex-l-key-22-piece-set

That's kinda genius.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

That's kinda genius.

In its simplicity. drat, I want some.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
KC Tool has the Wera tiny metric socket set on sale today, $80.
https://www.kctool.com/tool-of-the-day/
Pretty expensive, but it's one of those things I've been glad to have when I need it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I bought my first compressor!

And I'm pretty clueless. Why are there two gauges? What does the red knob do?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

1 gauge is tank pressure, red knob is regulator control, other knob is regulated pressure.
Your compressor will probably put the tank to around 100psi or so. Very few things you run off a compressor want that much pressure, hence the regulator.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TacoHavoc posted:

Would something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-4-in-and-3-8-in-Drive-Socket-Set-34-Piece-DWMT73804/205806349 work? For me with small sets it's a big deal to have them come in a case like this does.

So these came in and, honestly, I think I'm going to return them. I have no qualms about the quality, but the case feels stupid large. I feel like it could be 40% smaller, bunch of wasted space and a bit too thick. It would sit on the toolbox instead of inside.

I started going down the line of looking for socket rails to reorganize.

That gave me pause and now I'm thinking about how I'll get my $30 back in exchange for something I'll use once or twice a year. My HF is a piece of poo poo, but it's acceptable for how little I use it.

It's not the quality of the tools, they just aren't working for my needs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bolind posted:

I bought my first compressor!

And I'm pretty clueless. Why are there two gauges? What does the red knob do?

Good gravy Denmark doesn't mess around with compressors. If I'm reading it right that puts out 460L/m which is 16cfm. An absolute beast. I've never seen that kind of output on that small of a tank.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

Good gravy Denmark doesn't mess around with compressors. If I'm reading it right that puts out 460L/m which is 16cfm. An absolute beast. I've never seen that kind of output on that small of a tank.

There's no way that a 1.8kW unit moves 16cfm. That's just under 2.5hp.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

sharkytm posted:

There's no way that a 1.8kW unit moves 16cfm. That's just under 2.5hp.

My bet is the quasi marketing decision to rate at expected duty cycle which you could cut that rating in half for continuous use and it could be also an SCFM vs CFM, not sure if the SI units are at standardized conditions or at rated pressure.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

Well it does retail at over 1200 ameribucks* but I really have no idea.

*Jesus gently caress the dollar has gotten expensive! Bad for vacationing, good for exports. Buy some of our poo poo, yanks!

Edit: 460L/m is the displacement, the home page says 322L/m effective.

bolind fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 2, 2022

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I had a revelation this last week and figured others might be curious about it as well.

I bought into DeWalt's 20V system several years ago when I got a 1/2" impact (it's been fantastic) and a 3/8" drill, nothing fancy, 2 speed.

I finally figured the drill could go live at our cabin and I would get a new drill. I opted for the DCD996. 3 speed with hammer drill option. When I got it (in March of this year), I could tell the chuck didn't feel as 'robust' as the previous drill.
Last week, the chuck pooped the bed.

Note, I wasn't abusing this thing, I just tightened the chuck down with the same force I always used on my old drill.

I went to remove the chuck so I could order a replacement and put it on. Only to find that DeWalt doesn't use any sort of screw to hold their chuck on:

To get the chuck out, you need to remove the gear box from the body of the drill and tap out the shaft from behind.

I stripped the feck out of the nubs (technical term).

It turns out, the shaft itself is threaded, but according to some people, you typically need to apply a torch to break it free, then unscrew it. So either way, you have to disassemble the drill to remove it first.

I was able to find a replacement with shaft on eBay. To install it, it seriously just gets tapped back into the gear box body with a hammer.

For a little research I looked at every other manufacturer's drills to see how the chucks were held on. Every single one, Milwaukee, Rigid, Ryobi, etc., all had a screw at the bottom of the chuck you could remove.
So take this as you will, it might mean nothing at all or it might be a deal breaker if you don't want to have to disassemble your drill to replace a chuck.

I will say, other than the completely different methodology for holding the chuck on, everything in the DeWalt was solid. The chuck has some plastic bits, but they aren't bearing any sort of load, just protective bits, that aren't visible when installed. All of the gears and carriers were metal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I picked up a free Delta Universal Miter Saw / Planer Stand by the side of the road, with the caveat that it didn't collapse. After fiddling with it for a while, I figured out the gas strut is stuck in the extended position. Is there some trick to releasing a jammed gas strut? My first thought was to hit it with a hammer, but that didn't work.

I don't see any markings on it. If I wanted to replace the gas strut, would I just measure the holes, guess at the closed dimension, and guess at the force?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

nadmonk posted:

I had a revelation this last week and figured others might be curious about it as well.

Funny timing. I had to drill four holes in a concrete slab last weekend, and didn't own a hammer drill. I wanted to get the 20v but nowhere in town had it in stock, so I bought the dewalt 7amp version for a hundred bucks. It stopped hammering after 1 and a half holes, the chuck had started to separate from the body. Took it back to the hardware store and they were perplexed it didn't have that screw, and almost didn't want to take it back because it "wasn't heavy-duty enough for the job"

So long story short I own a big fuckoff Bosch hammer drill/chisel now

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yeah, multiple holes in concrete is when it's time to rent a rotary hammer, unless you're looking for a justification to buy one in which case do so.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’ve got the $84 Ryobi 6.5A hammer drill and I’ve done a decent amount of concrete drilling with it, plus loaned it out, plus used it with some large hole saws, plus used it with large hole saws on steel - that last one wore all the teeth off a brand new hole saw in one project (no, I did not have it in hammer mode for that).

I bought it with the knowledge that using it twice would make up the difference with renting and I’ve been really happy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Safety Dance posted:

I picked up a free Delta Universal Miter Saw / Planer Stand by the side of the road, with the caveat that it didn't collapse. After fiddling with it for a while, I figured out the gas strut is stuck in the extended position. Is there some trick to releasing a jammed gas strut? My first thought was to hit it with a hammer, but that didn't work.

I don't see any markings on it. If I wanted to replace the gas strut, would I just measure the holes, guess at the closed dimension, and guess at the force?

See if you can look up a parts list. Delta parts are usually well-published and you can track down a replacement from there.

If it's a 36-136, it's part number 32: https://www.fix.com/models/miter-saw/delta/id749619/36-136-type%201/section6542058/page-b/ But it's no longer available.

For what it's worth, that design looks identical to the DeWalt DWX726 universal stand I just sold.

Dewalt Part Diagram: https://www.mmtoolparts.com/dwx726-1-parts?p=2

5140111-10 Gas Piston, 329Z - Dewalt https://www.mmtoolparts.com/dewalt-gas-piston-5140111-10

Sure looks very similar. And... *ahem* "In 2005, Black & Decker purchased Delta and Porter-Cable, expanding its woodworking portfolio that also included DeWalt."

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 3, 2022

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

CloFan posted:

Funny timing. I had to drill four holes in a concrete slab last weekend, and didn't own a hammer drill. I wanted to get the 20v but nowhere in town had it in stock, so I bought the dewalt 7amp version for a hundred bucks. It stopped hammering after 1 and a half holes, the chuck had started to separate from the body. Took it back to the hardware store and they were perplexed it didn't have that screw, and almost didn't want to take it back because it "wasn't heavy-duty enough for the job"

So long story short I own a big fuckoff Bosch hammer drill/chisel now

I've used the hammer drill function a couple times. For light duty stuff it seems to work ok, but if I had to do more than a little bit or through anything tougher than cinder block, renting or buying a dedicated heavy duty hammer drill would be the way to go.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

sharkytm posted:

I don't understand? Are you lap splicing fat wires? I would, at the minimum, hook splice, or even better, Western Union those. It removes the need for fancy pliers to hold the wires. It's also way more secure, both electrically and mechanically.

I'm not soldering them at all, just demoing how the tool functions with a couple bits of scrap wire.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Edit: Off topic

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 3, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

nadmonk posted:

I've used the hammer drill function a couple times. For light duty stuff it seems to work ok, but if I had to do more than a little bit or through anything tougher than cinder block, renting or buying a dedicated heavy duty hammer drill would be the way to go.
I got an older version of this Milwaukee hammer drill at the ReStore. It comes out maybe twice a year to put holes in stone/brick/concrete or to mix a 5 gal bucket of something with a paddle, but it is 100% the tool for the job. I don't know that I've ever used the hammer feature on my battery hammer drill.

Side note: I tried to use it one handed one time and almost ripped my arm off when the bit got stuck for a second. It's a torque-y bastard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

meatpimp posted:

See if you can look up a parts list. Delta parts are usually well-published and you can track down a replacement from there.

If it's a 36-136, it's part number 32: https://www.fix.com/models/miter-saw/delta/id749619/36-136-type%201/section6542058/page-b/ But it's no longer available.

For what it's worth, that design looks identical to the DeWalt DWX726 universal stand I just sold.

Dewalt Part Diagram: https://www.mmtoolparts.com/dwx726-1-parts?p=2

5140111-10 Gas Piston, 329Z - Dewalt https://www.mmtoolparts.com/dewalt-gas-piston-5140111-10

Sure looks very similar. And... *ahem* "In 2005, Black & Decker purchased Delta and Porter-Cable, expanding its woodworking portfolio that also included DeWalt."

Hot drat, thank you very much!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I got a factory refurb Makita hr4041c rotary hammer years ago for literally one project and I've used it many many times now. I think I'm down under 15 dollars per use at this point and it's still kicking rear end. I've also bought enough bits over the years that I usually have something I can use on hand at this point, even if it's not exactly the right size.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got the less beefy Makita HR2475 and have been really happy with it. I haven't been able to stress it in the slightest so far though the most I've done is a bunch of 1/2" holes a few inches deep in concrete and chiseling off a layer of concrete off some other concrete (PO fuckery).

Really need to use the depth stop on cinder block or you'll have the chuck against the block before you know it. At least when using small bits for tapcons or w/e.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah the first project I got it for involved coring a 2-5/8 hole diagonally through a double brick wall (as well as several other large holes) and I've since put a bunch of 7/8 holes in concrete, driven half a dozen ground rods, put another 2-5/8 hole through 2 feet of granite fieldstone wall, split a bunch of rocks with feathers and wedges, put a few 2-5/8 holes through a poured cement foundation for a friend... It takes it all. I wish my core bit was deeper so I could drill more than about 3in deep before having to break it off and go again, but I wasn't willing to pay more.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Can I get recommendations for reusable earplugs? I've for a pair I've been using for a while and I think they're just about worn out, dirty, gross. It's time for a new set.

I can't remember what brand they are or anything. They were like 20-30 dollars, and fit tight in my ear and brace against the inside part and I like that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

StormDrain posted:

Can I get recommendations for reusable earplugs? I've for a pair I've been using for a while and I think they're just about worn out, dirty, gross. It's time for a new set.

I can't remember what brand they are or anything. They were like 20-30 dollars, and fit tight in my ear and brace against the inside part and I like that.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WPOQSG
I use those when playing with my band, I got tired of the tinnitus. They work great and are comfortable, they are about the only pair of in-ear ear pro I've ever not minded wearing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WPOQSG
I use those when playing with my band, I got tired of the tinnitus. They work great and are comfortable, they are about the only pair of in-ear ear pro I've ever not minded wearing.

Those are only 15NRR. That’s a fine compromise when you’re trying to be a little responsible while also having fun at a concert, but it’s pretty weak for workplace hearing protection.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I finally figured out how to find what I've been using. Surefire EP4s, with a 24nrr. Maybe I'll just get another set of those, and some lighter ones for going out when I need a little sensory numbing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The little concha brace on those is not something I've encountered outside, like, earbuds and custom molded full concha plugs, so they're probably your best bet.

For cheapies, my favorite is actually the kinda rough foam 3m ear classics: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00017635/ They aren't any less comfortable (to me) than softer foam, but seem to be easier to get in and stay in better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Howard Leight Laser Light are easily my go to for comfort and usability for disposables. The are so comfortable in my ears I can easily sleep with them. I'm not a huge fan of reusable, I'll use hard hat mounted headphones for those times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Visited my inlaws on the weekend and as I pulled into the driveway I noticed something on the ground. Went and took a look, it was an electric backpack blower. I figured it must have fell out the back of someones truck so I moved it off the road and put it on the sidewalk so if someone realizes they missed it they might find it backtracking.

Went back to the folks late in the day (almost evening) and it was still there sitting on the sidewalk. So I grabbed it and told the folks/their neighbors in case someone comes looking for it I've got it. I also looked in the local buy/sell (often used by people looking for lost/stolen stuff too) and nothing for a week so I decided to claim it.

It works. Aesthetically seems a little rough, you can tell it's been well used and probably bounced out of a truck onto the asphalt, but does seem to work OK. It's an EGO 56V, the type you seem to be able to buy at Lowes. I obviously don't have a charger or batteries for it, but the battery in it seems to function - or at least it's enough to run it. No idea what the charge is like in it.

How good are these things? I'm thinking of using it for blowing light snow in the winter off the driveway and sidewalk. Usable for something like that? I need to buy a charger for it if I plan to use it, but if its a piece of junk I'd rather not invest any $$ in it. I looked on the local buy and sell and nobody has a used charger for sale within 300 miles so I'll probably either end up paying full retail for one.. unless there is another way to charge these things? (which I doubt?)

Pic of unit

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 9, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Visited my inlaws for a sec on the weekend and as I pulled into the driveway I noticed something on the ground. Went and took a look, it was an electric backpack blower. I figured it must have fell out the back of someones truck so I moved it off the road and put it on the sidewalk so if someone realizes they missed it they might find it backtracking.

Went back to the folks late in the day (almost evening) and it was still there sitting on the sidewalk. So I grabbed it and told the folks/their neighbors in case someone comes looking for it and looked in the local buy/sell (often used by people looking for lost/stolen stuff too) and nothing for a week so I decided to claim it.

It works. Aesthetically seems a little rough, you can tell it's been well used and probably bounced out of a truck onto the asphalt, but does seem to work OK. It's an EGO 56V, the type you seem to be able to buy at Lowes. I obviously don't have a charger or batteries for it, but the battery in it seems to function - or at least it's enough to run it. No idea what the charge is like in it.

How good are these things? I'm thinking of using it for blowing light snow in the winter off the driveway and sidewalk. Usable for something like that? I need to buy a charger for it if I plan to use it, but if its a piece of junk I'd rather not invest any $$ in it. I looked on the local buy and sell and nobody has a used charger for sale within 300 miles so I'll probably either end up paying full retail for one.. unless there is another way to charge these things? (which I doubt?)

Pic of unit

That's a nice blower. Well worth hunting up a charger for it.

On that note, I've got an extra somewhere around here you can have, if you want.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I tried blowing snow off the driveway with my electric DeWalt blower once. Once.

Any snow that you can actually blow is light and fluffy - the kind of stuff that makes clouds of static electricity when blowing around. Imagine standing in the middle of an electrical storm and the closest ground is your exposed skin.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

Visited my inlaws on the weekend and as I pulled into the driveway I noticed something on the ground. Went and took a look, it was an electric backpack blower. I figured it must have fell out the back of someones truck so I moved it off the road and put it on the sidewalk so if someone realizes they missed it they might find it backtracking.

Went back to the folks late in the day (almost evening) and it was still there sitting on the sidewalk. So I grabbed it and told the folks/their neighbors in case someone comes looking for it I've got it. I also looked in the local buy/sell (often used by people looking for lost/stolen stuff too) and nothing for a week so I decided to claim it.

Pic of unit

I have a spare ego charger I could mail you for the price of shipping if you want.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Advent Horizon posted:

I tried blowing snow off the driveway with my electric DeWalt blower once. Once.

Any snow that you can actually blow is light and fluffy - the kind of stuff that makes clouds of static electricity when blowing around. Imagine standing in the middle of an electrical storm and the closest ground is your exposed skin.

I've used a leaf blower plenty of times to clear a light dusting of snow. Honestly it usually isn't really better than running a shovel over it unless it's something oddly shaped like a boat cover.

Can't say I've ever encountered static buildup from snow, but I also tend to have most of my skin covered when I'm outside in the snow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am flattered that someone would be willing to send me an unused charger. I don't do paypal but I'd be happy to put some cash ($20 or something?) in an envelope off to someone? If someone wants to PM me we can go through the deets? I'm in no rush so I have no problem sending $$ first.

Thanks guys :3:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Cat Hatter posted:

I've used a leaf blower plenty of times to clear a light dusting of snow. Honestly it usually isn't really better than running a shovel over it unless it's something oddly shaped like a boat cover.

Can't say I've ever encountered static buildup from snow, but I also tend to have most of my skin covered when I'm outside in the snow.

I have a e-go 56v blower and it’s absolutely great at removing snow, it’ll peel up some ice too. Love it for removing snow off the car in the morning. Downside is it has unshielded contacts in the power switch and it zaps the hell out of my trigger finger when I get a cloud of snow going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

slidebite posted:

I am flattered that someone would be willing to send me an unused charger. I don't do paypal but I'd be happy to put some cash ($20 or something?) in an envelope off to someone? If someone wants to PM me we can go through the deets? I'm in no rush so I have no problem sending $$ first.

Thanks guys :3:

Sure you dont want to mail them a travelers check grandpa?