Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Since this thread has some good historians, another goon was wondering aloud if there's any books that deep dive into German public knowledge of what was going on during the Reich up to the point of liberation by the Allied forces, how much the propaganda was believed/disputed and how those who disbelieved it got information. Does anyone know of any books like that? Most of the stuff that easily comes to hand is more about the actions of the resistance movement whereas they were, and made me, curious about the general population.

Don't know about specific recommendations, but you might want to look at stuff published from about the late 1960s on which is about when German teenagers/young adults were starting to ask questions like 'so what DID you do during the war, papa?'. There is a Whole Thing that starts occurring in german history around then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

From the chat thread, now with capitals and punctuation because I can code switch if I want.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNqKuYAr/?k=1

Anyone have any input on this, reality check, good advice, bad advice? It seems like a better idea than the Don't Pay thing of just cancelling your DD, but I'm doubtful it would achieve much either, since I imagine if the fines harm the company too much they'll just get bailed out by the government anyway, and you'll still have to pay it later.

Yea, when they proposed increasing my DD back in January I just said no (because companies can't alter a DD without your consent, not that they like telling you that). So I'm currently paying my bill but have a small arrears with them, and if it grows I'll make the minimum payment to keep them off my back, escalate to saying "can't pay" and engaging with the complaints process etc. It's all about dragging this out and waiting for a political solution.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Don't know about specific recommendations, but you might want to look at stuff published from about the late 1960s on which is about when German teenagers/young adults were starting to ask questions like 'so what DID you do during the war, papa?'. There is a Whole Thing that starts occurring in german history around then.

I'm assuming a lot of that was "I slipped on a banana peel and was in a Coma from 1930-1946, yes I know you were born in 1945 but stop asking questions"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

From the chat thread, now with capitals and punctuation because I can code switch if I want.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNqKuYAr/?k=1

Anyone have any input on this, reality check, good advice, bad advice? It seems like a better idea than the Don't Pay thing of just cancelling your DD, but I'm doubtful it would achieve much either, since I imagine if the fines harm the company too much they'll just get bailed out by the government anyway, and you'll still have to pay it later.

Some of the discussions around this that I'm seeing remind me of when the Poll Tax was in and my dad bought shares in a defunct Cornish tin mine for all of us because he read (in the Mail I think) that if you did, you would be exempt from poll tax, yeah right.

Read about that here if you're interested!

https://www.taxadvisers.org.uk/mr_trull/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/1554397356275245058?s=21&t=a8JapOEBgjeCr7Xnfsz7zw

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/1554719922399371266?s=21&t=a8JapOEBgjeCr7Xnfsz7zw

Jolyon Foxbane (first of his name) is on the warpath.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this on Twitter. I had never heard of this before?

Does it mean anything to the Welsh/Liverpool people here?

https://twitter.com/cymrogav/status/1554398527270359040?s=20&t=2OxTvunclM4V9F2Pk4XYtw

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

because companies can't alter a DD without your consent, not that they like telling you that
Weird, if you check the replies to the Don't Pay twitter there are a bunch of screenshots of British Gas emails saying they're doing exactly that. Bulb have massively increased the 'minimum payment' on their site and won't let you enter a number lower than that, but they don't change the payment.

Pretty sure Virgin Media have upped my payments without permission as well.

Is this one of those intensely British things where the banks are legally liable if you can afford to take them to civil court, but also there is no legal mechanism stopping them, they are able to do so easily, and do it all the time?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Companies absolutely can unilaterally change a direct debit amount.

They just have to notify you before they take the money (which takes the form of your normal utility bill that comes through saying they'll take payment on X date).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

https://twitter.com/cymrogav/status/1554398527270359040?s=20&t=2OxTvunclM4V9F2Pk4XYtw

I'm sure I saw a documentary about it. It's very Westminster.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I've never lived in Wales but I can tell you that flooding of the valley is basically the historical event of note in Wales as it was England bulldozing over the concerns and literal homes of the Welsh for their own gain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's happened a bunch of places since the 19th century, always without proper consultation. There's a Bradgate in Iowa, named after the Bradgate in England. Where's that? You can sometimes see it when the water's low. Apparently the people there ended up in the Iowa one.

Rutland water is the local one where a bunch of people happened to be in the exact right place for a giant reservoir.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reminds me of the hauntingly beautiful tragedy that befell Geamana in Romania

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They managed to keep the church stable in Rutland, for Michael Gove's merman family.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
getting cold feet on this one already: nvm

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 3, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

peanut- posted:

Companies absolutely can unilaterally change a direct debit amount.

They just have to notify you before they take the money (which takes the form of your normal utility bill that comes through saying they'll take payment on X date).

:shrug:

EON did that to me (very much phrased as a order you could not refuse than a request), I emailed back saying I did not give them permission to change my DD I'll deal with it on my own, and they backed down. I was pretty sure this was in the direct debit guarantee - companies can change it if they tell you, but if you say no they have to back down.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
*edit* you deleted and that's cool but I'm leaving this rant up anyway

heh yeah, when saville finally got exposed

and it was very evident that a stunningly large proportion of politicians and celebrities from the 70s and onwards were also either serial nonces or deeply complicit in covering up and enabling abusers for personal gain

and a thorough investigation was promised and then the media attention dropped off like a switch was thrown, the inquiry never went anywhere and it all got conveniently forgotten and even talking about factual poo poo like the above starts to feel like I'm talking about a conspiracy theory

if cohen goes down it will be just him and it will be treated by the scum as a resolution and a new beginning rather than a vanishingly rare example of an abusing poo poo getting at least some level of comeuppance

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 3, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

It's happened a bunch of places since the 19th century, always without proper consultation. There's a Bradgate in Iowa, named after the Bradgate in England. Where's that? You can sometimes see it when the water's low. Apparently the people there ended up in the Iowa one.

Rutland water is the local one where a bunch of people happened to be in the exact right place for a giant reservoir.

Same if you've ever been to Derwentwater in the Lakes - the village of Derwent is occasionally visible when there's a serious drought. There must be a tonne of similar stories across the UK.

e: I assume that's the origin of the name. Der it was, den der went water.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 3, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

why in the flying gently caress would it be necessary to flood a place to build a reservoir in the lake district

you can't go five feet without falling into one and if you look up with your mouth open you have a 50% risk of drowning.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Looking at the maps that project sea level rise I think we'll have a lot of new saltwater reservoirs.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Would probably be quite efficient to start turning Bristol into a giant hydroelectric dam and desalination plant now ahead of time.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

am i reading this correctly that:

-> the threshold test to move from 'lawful' to 'low' is whether you affect "a change to the behaviour of the population...or change to specific government policy..." (we all know this but maybe don't explicitly codify it lads ffs)
-> the threshold test for low versus high is whether you have a 'significant impact on uk business' (ofc it is lol)
-> on a scale of lawful<low<high<terrorism -> high (i.e. not terrorism!) is explicitly the responsibility of counter-terror police

i mean we all know all of this is true but feels a bit much to actually write it down in public

to be fully clear it is official policy that if your protest has any measurable effect we will set the local bobbies on you, if it touches our profit in any way we'll send the full might of the security state after you

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 3, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

I've never lived in Wales but I can tell you that flooding of the valley is basically the historical event of note in Wales as it was England bulldozing over the concerns and literal homes of the Welsh for their own gain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnx5_5ckn-0

A fictionalised version of this is a key plot point in a great episode of Archer.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rustybear posted:

-> the threshold test to move from 'lawful' to 'low' is whether you affect "a change to the behaviour of the population...or change to specific government policy..." (we all know this but maybe don't explicitly codify it lads ffs)
-> the threshold test for low versus high is whether you have a 'significant impact on uk business' (ofc it is lol)
-> on a scale of lawful<low<high<terrorism -> high (i.e. not terrorism!) is explicitly the responsibility of counter-terror police

i mean we all know all of this is true but feels a bit much to actually write it down in public

to be fully clear it is official policy that if your protest has any measurable effect we will set the local bobbies on you, if it touches our profit in any way we'll send the full might of the security state after you
Mostly yeah, this is some mask-off poo poo. The first point is wrong though, that's just the whole "low" category on the y-axis, and you can be as high as "moderate" while still fitting in the "lawful" or "low-level aggravated activism" boxes. To get into the danger zone on that axis you have to either want to kill, enslave or exile a substantial part of the population or you have to be an anarchist, because the police apparently consider those two things equally bad. The really important bit is that any activity that has a significant negative impact on UK businesses is automatically substantial on the x-axis, so it's automatically "high-level aggravated activism" and it's time to bring in the counter-terrorism police. There's not even any requirement that the activity be criminal, so literally running a successful boycott would be enough.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rustybear posted:

Presumably when the CTP wrote it it wasn't really intended for public consumption. I clicked through to the parliamentary report linked in the article and that slide is all the info in there, so it's not clear if the criteria are any more defined elsewhere or what they are. I'm not sure where the Twitter thread gets the idea that activity beyond talking is necessarily considered unlawful activism, I don't see that in the slide. But it does explicitly lay out (what I'm sure was already obvious to all of us) that you can be surveilled under counter-terrorism measures for entirely lawful activity.

e: it's unhelpful that they use "low" in three different contexts: low impact ideological goals, low level of activity, and low combined threat of the two.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah remember Trewyren is like the rallying cry of post war Welsh nationalism. An important point not mentioned in that thread is that Chapel Celyn was also one of the last monoglot Welsh communities remaining so there was a strong sense that it was the English punishing them for not conforming/treating Welsh speakers like "savages" who couldn't fight back.

How the memory of it is treated is often a pretty strong dividing line between the sane/fashy strands of Welsh nationalism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Daily Mail even more detached from reality than usual I see

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1554811575407706114?t=atRkbl9WJWrxWsqD2EiATQ&s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah remember Trewyren is like the rallying cry of post war Welsh nationalism. An important point not mentioned in that thread is that Chapel Celyn was also one of the last monoglot Welsh communities remaining so there was a strong sense that it was the English punishing them for not conforming/treating Welsh speakers like "savages" who couldn't fight back.

How the memory of it is treated is often a pretty strong dividing line between the sane/fashy strands of Welsh nationalism.

Probably also why if you're in North Wales and say you're from Liverpool you might not feel a Welcome in the Hillside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGyiCyPgISg

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I get that they're partisan hacks repeating the Tory line, but loving hell what loving calls did he get right, how can anyone write that without blowing their brains out over the copy

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Well I learnt something new today. Thanks UK thread.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Scientastic posted:

I get that they're partisan hacks repeating the Tory line, but loving hell what loving calls did he get right, how can anyone write that without blowing their brains out over the copy

i know this is kind of a rhetorical question but the genuine answer is dmg has a rock solid pay and benefits package in an industry where precarity is the norm for 99% of workers

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Well I learnt something new today. Thanks UK thread.

It's important that you learned that Boris is perfect and made all the right calls

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
"ALL THE BIG CALLS" echoing around a chamber until it becomes unintelligible to the human ear and no one can remember to what exactly it referred to.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He said the bodies should pile up in the streets and they did, so he called that one I guess.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Well looking around at the state of the place... Everything seems fine, no big issues or concerns so I guess he must have done a pretty good job.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's important that you learned that Boris is perfect and made all the right calls

I also learned that Bluto founded the island of Albion before Popeye went and knocked him out....or something.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

He said the bodies should pile up in the streets and they did, so he called that one I guess.

Speaking of, we did it! :toot:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

200K, baybee. What do we win?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/03/revealed-uk-children-ensnared-far-right-ecosystem-online

quote:

An insidious “far-right ecosystem” is targeting children in an attempt to radicalise them online, with experts warning that progressively younger school pupils are becoming ensnared in extremist ideologies, a Guardian investigation has found.

etc etc etc quelle surprise

Pet insane theory: The Guardian have put this out now to discredit Sunak's Prevent ideas, thinking that special boy Kier Starmer will look better against Truss.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Reading the article it sounds like a few kids downloading The Terrorist Handbook is leading to some good old liberal handwringing about terrorist plots. I'd struggle to call incels rightwing, it's an incoherent and illogical ideology that mainly seems to appeal to people who are young and very depressed, with that depression becoming weaponised into hatred by a toxic subculture. Afaik it doesn't have any kind of leadership as a group.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Incel is right wing in the same way as many flavours of Christian nationalism and Islamic extremism and Toby Young Thought etc. are in that it 90% boils down to 'feminism and social liberalism make my dick sad'.

The internets explosives manuals are usually neither ideological nor useful, so that's more the distraction bit.

I enjoyed the subtle Thatcher reference from the terror cop though.

quote:

Terrorists only need to be lucky once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Tesseraction posted:

I'm assuming a lot of that was "I slipped on a banana peel and was in a Coma from 1930-1946, yes I know you were born in 1945 but stop asking questions"

From talking to some German friends, the default story is "got shipped to the Eastern Front, captured without firing a shot, spent the war in a PoW camp". Which is probably the modal experience but it's suspiciously common.