Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They said "multiple devices" and "started recently", between that and "is a 2x2 MIMO device" which was a probing question to determine both device age as well as capability, seems to me like "premature router death".

Maybe firmware and drivers are in order, but I assume that was one of the first things done before reaching out for help.

The "premature router death" hypothesis is about the only thing that makes sense as far as I can tell. I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing because wifi, specifically is one thing I'm pretty ignorant about in terms of hardware/physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A lot of router deaths are just the wall wart (transformer) crapping out after 3-5 years. Not all, since many routers are designed in a way that overheats their internals for a long time, but many.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
i finally did it, i ordered two wifi6 pro APs from ubiquity, of course i do not have a POE switch to power them.

any recommendations on POE injectors and POE switches, a friend of mine told me not to get a POE injector from UI because theyre called Chinese fireboxes?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
It's so worth it to just get a PoE switch. Then you plug in and things work, no injector needed.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Sniep posted:

It's so worth it to just get a PoE switch. Then you plug in and things work, no injector needed.

The wiring in my house is so wonky that it constantly angers me, and i cant seem to find a low voltage electrician that would would even respond to my inquiry.

I think i will still need two get two wifi6 in walls for two rooms, i just need to make sure i can force clients to join an AP when they are at room. There are two areas in the house i can get "plenty of wifi bars" just no throughput, which is causing havoc with guests when they visit.

phosdex posted:

I bought a Dream Machine SE 3 weeks ago, it's already dead. Of course return period is 2 weeks, so I gotta pay to RMA this poo poo.

gently caress - that sucks.

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 3, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a Dream Machine SE 3 weeks ago, it's already dead. Of course return period is 2 weeks, so I gotta pay to RMA this poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

RoboBoogie posted:

i finally did it, i ordered two wifi6 pro APs from ubiquity, of course i do not have a POE switch to power them.

any recommendations on POE injectors and POE switches, a friend of mine told me not to get a POE injector from UI because theyre called Chinese fireboxes?

I have a U6-LR hooked up to a Switch Lite 8, works just fine for power.

If that's too expensive for you, you could always try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9FG2Y2/

Dunno what your friend means, unless he had a defective injector. I have two of Ubiquiti's, they get a little hot, sure, but so does every wall wart/transformer.

I'm still keeping them around as my area tends to get hit with lightning storms a lot, and if the SW8 gets taken out I can always switch back.

UI also claims the injectors will give your AP some additional protection from surges/etc. which is true as if you get hit, the injector will take the bullet instead of your AP.

Lot easier to pay $12 for another injector than $150-160 for a new AP.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

RoboBoogie posted:

The wiring in my house is so wonky that it constantly angers me, and i cant seem to find a low voltage electrician that would would even respond to my inquiry.

I had mine done by a hifi installer. Just called around and asked if they do in-wall installations and offered to pay them for labor+mats if they'd run cat6, and got a bite. It ended up pretty affordable too all things considered.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Sniep posted:

I had mine done by a hifi installer. Just called around and asked if they do in-wall installations and offered to pay them for labor+mats if they'd run cat6, and got a bite. It ended up pretty affordable too all things considered.

Is opening up walls always necessary? I have cat5e in my house that I wish could support 10 GbE but replacing it seems like an absolute nightmare. Unless there's some less invasive option that I'm not aware of?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fletcher posted:

Is opening up walls always necessary? I have cat5e in my house that I wish could support 10 GbE but replacing it seems like an absolute nightmare. Unless there's some less invasive option that I'm not aware of?

Depends on what kind of access you have. Running cable isn't too hard but can involve attic/basement access, or cutting small holes in drywall. They make some specialized tools that help as well.

I've done a few new runs from the attic without much trouble.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Sniep posted:

The issue that I've found is that managed PoE switches cost a lot and managed PoE switches with 10G uplinks cost a hell of a lot while not fitting into my ~18"x13" network cabinet, but adding a 4-port injector to my managed 24x1+2x10 switch without PoE is actually pretty cheap and fits just fine.

I could use an unmanaged 5-port PoE switch instead if I knew for sure that it would handle VLAN tagging properly, but the transparency of injectors feels a lot more elegant to manage.

fletcher posted:

My house is only ~1300sqft and single story with easily accessed crawlspace and attic, but I got it wired in 2017 with 10 drops of Cat6 (paired jacks in 5 different locations) and they didn't have to open any walls. The two guys who did it were done in half a day and charged ~$900, which was 1/3 parts and 2/3 labor. I had the option to get Cat6A instead but the total cost would have gone up to around $1500.

I've since added a ceiling access point using the hole they drilled up from the network cabinet and it was a pretty easy job, with 75% of the work just being getting the bracket screwed down to the drywall.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 3, 2022

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
A TL-SG1005p runs for $50 and is managed 5 port poe.

You aren’t getting 10g uplinks but also you don’t need it. And If you are in the very rare instance of actually needing it because you are running multiple APs with multigig ports then you can afford it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The TL-SG1005p is unmanaged. You probably mean the TL-SG105PE which is $60. And yeah, that works just as well but it's about the same price to get a 4-port injector and I'm happy to have fewer managed devices if the result is going to be the same.

To be clear though, I don't think there's a problem with PoE switches - I'm just saying there are cases for both.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah the SG105PE, my bad. I didn’t catch that Amazon said “you bought one variation of this on …” instead of “you bought this on …” when I was quickly verifying the model before falling asleep.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

I have a U6-LR hooked up to a Switch Lite 8, works just fine for power.

If that's too expensive for you, you could always try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9FG2Y2/

Dunno what your friend means, unless he had a defective injector. I have two of Ubiquiti's, they get a little hot, sure, but so does every wall wart/transformer.

I'm still keeping them around as my area tends to get hit with lightning storms a lot, and if the SW8 gets taken out I can always switch back.

UI also claims the injectors will give your AP some additional protection from surges/etc. which is true as if you get hit, the injector will take the bullet instead of your AP.

Lot easier to pay $12 for another injector than $150-160 for a new AP.

Good to know that option exist. I went ahead and got the 8 port switch and a 4 port switch from UI, maybe its time that i grow up and use managed switches.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Need a switch recommendation.

Running a FIOS G3100, works for my needs,. am not paying for it, and not looking to change it.

I want a decent, inexpensive switch (4-8 port, preferably 8 if the price is right) that will mainly function to house a Pi4 + IoT hubs.

Something I'm able to pick up at Microcenter in Yonkers is a huge plus.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I want a decent, inexpensive switch (4-8 port, preferably 8 if the price is right) that will mainly function to house a Pi4 + IoT hubs.

A dumb switch? They're a commodity at this point. Pick up whatever is cheapest at Microcenter.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I do whitelisting on my 'internet of things' network and man is AWS a pain. My thermostat has fairly static domain names & ips, but my cat litter box is giving me trouble.

At startup it looks up a2wz9c6y6mikoy.iot.us-east-1-.amazonaws.com, which returns 8 results and have only a time to live of max 60 seconds. So I have to set my router to refresh the host alias rules fairly often.

But looking at wireshark traffic it seems the device can keep the link open to a specific aws container (or whatever) for a while even after the DNS has moved on, so I'd almost want the rule to allow the last X ips. Or maybe I just let the firewall do it's thing and assume the device will do a new DNS lookup anytime it stops getting a response? Ideally I'd want the router to see when the DNS request comes through (the device does obey the DHCP's provided DNS server, it doesn't have a hard-coded one) and update the alias every time it's internal DNS cache updates. But I don't know if any of the *sense distros can do that.

pfsense docs specifically talk about big CDN's in host alias section, and how the rotating IPs screw it up:
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/firewall/aliases.html#using-hostnames-in-aliases

So I guess what I need doesn't exist, connecting the host alias updates to whenever a new DNS request comes through from a device, so they stay in sync. I guess I'm in transparent proxy territory, but most of these distros don't let you easily run multiple proxies easily and I already have a non-transparent proxy running. Bummer.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 5, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Looking at upgrading my home network sometime soon (probably to upgrade my 2 unifi (AC Lite) access points to 6/6E when available) and was wondering if there are any decent router options or if it's still better to just roll your own using an older PC and some distro made for being a router.

I have an older netgear nighthawk and I really don't like their UI etc. Perhaps something like one of the Unifi or Amplifi ones?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rescue Toaster posted:

I do whitelisting on my 'internet of things' network and man is AWS a pain. My thermostat has fairly static domain names & ips, but my cat litter box is giving me trouble.
So I guess what I need doesn't exist, connecting the host alias updates to whenever a new DNS request comes through from a device, so they stay in sync.

No one really firewalls this way except in weird legacy b2b cases. ACLs that involve IP ranges you don't control just leads to pain.

Specific to AWS: even if you think a destination is fairly static, you may be surprised later. The load balancers can shift IPs every few months as the underlying resources are rebuilt or a traffic shift happens, and your rules will randomly break. PFSense's docs on this are right on. In your case, even though you have a mechanism to allowlist the IPs associated with a2wz9c6y6mikoy, you can reasonably expect that that DNS record will change over time.

I'd ask what the benefit you'd gain for the effort: if your untrusted IOT network can't reach in to your trusted network, who cares what it's sending outbound? It matters more for cameras that are in your home, but your cat box presumably doesn't have cameras or mics. It's much more a use case for IDS or some other heuristic mechanism to let you know when traffic's weird, rather than going through the pain of blocking weird traffic and rebuilding rules whenever they break.

KS fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 5, 2022

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

KS posted:

No one really firewalls this way except in weird legacy b2b cases. ACLs that involve IP ranges you don't control just leads to pain.

Specific to AWS: even if you think a destination is fairly static, you may be surprised later. The load balancers can shift IPs every few months as the underlying resources are rebuilt or a traffic shift happens, and your rules will randomly break. PFSense's docs on this are right on. In your case, even though you have a mechanism to allowlist the IPs associated with a2wz9c6y6mikoy, you can reasonably expect that that DNS record will change over time.

I'd ask what the benefit you'd gain for the effort: if your untrusted IOT network can't reach in to your trusted network, who cares what it's sending outbound? It matters more for cameras that are in your home, but your cat box presumably doesn't have cameras or mics. It's much more a use case for IDS or some other heuristic mechanism to let you know when traffic's weird, rather than going through the pain of blocking weird traffic and rebuilding rules whenever they break.

This is fair enough. It's more that when I first setup my 'iot' vlan I figured I would whitelist stuff and just been going down that road. But finally with this CDN network situation I've kind of hit a wall so that may just be the end of it, as you say. Cameras are on a separate vlan that has no need for internet access at all.

As you say, I've been picturing something maybe to monitor the internet-connected VLANs for suspicious traffic as being a better choice.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rescue Toaster posted:

This is fair enough. It's more that when I first setup my 'iot' vlan I figured I would whitelist stuff and just been going down that road. But finally with this CDN network situation I've kind of hit a wall so that may just be the end of it, as you say. Cameras are on a separate vlan that has no need for internet access at all.

As you say, I've been picturing something maybe to monitor the internet-connected VLANs for suspicious traffic as being a better choice.

Allowlisting is a good approach and no need to drop that. Just allow these devices to connect out based on the source?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Allowlisting is a good approach and no need to drop that. Just allow these devices to connect out based on the source?

bleh, back to assigning static IPs for every mac address then I guess and have to make sure IP source guard is working right on the switch.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Need a switch recommendation.

Running a FIOS G3100, works for my needs,. am not paying for it, and not looking to change it.

The Yonkers MC is a pain to get to without a car, also a pain if you have one as you have go up the full length of like 2-3 parking levels just to get to it.

Cheapest 8 port switch they have is the Netgear ProSafe Plus GS108E for $65..

For $24 more you could get the TPLink Jetstream with four PoE ports.. those come in handy if you need to put up APs in locations where it's hard to run a wall wart.

NetGear tends to be better quality, an old GS103 5 port that I bought in like, 2017? is still going strong as part of a home install I did for a friend who hosed off to Michigan.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The Yonkers Microcenter has 25+ of "TP-LINK TL-SG108 8-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Desktop Switch" in stock for $19.99 each
https://www.microcenter.com/product/414582/tp-link-tl-sg108-8-port-10-100-1000-gigabit-desktop-switch

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

priznat posted:

Looking at upgrading my home network sometime soon (probably to upgrade my 2 unifi (AC Lite) access points to 6/6E when available) and was wondering if there are any decent router options or if it's still better to just roll your own using an older PC and some distro made for being a router.

I have an older netgear nighthawk and I really don't like their UI etc. Perhaps something like one of the Unifi or Amplifi ones?

What are your priorities when you say "decent router options"? In addition to your idea of an old PC running PFsense or whatever, I'm thinking:

1) If you want the Ubiquiti ecosystem and wireless on the same device as NAT, I'd look at the Ubiquiti Dream Machine or Dream Router (if you can find one in stock)
2) If you would be equally OK with the features of OpenWRT, the Belkin RT3200 or some other WiFi 6 + OpenWRT supported device might be cheaper.
3) If you don't need WiFi 6 but want a strong feature set and maybe a lot of ports, what about Mikrotik? I use a 24x1G+2x10G "switch" that could also do NAT if I wanted it to, but they have larger and much smaller options.
4) If you like the idea of installing the OS yourself but want something smaller and less power-hungry than an old desktop, there are newer mini-PCs with multiple GigE interfaces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_SyLV7s60&t=3s

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, those are all interesting options and gives me more options to help narrow down what features I want.

I like that minipc with multiple 2.5Gb interfaces, and wonder if I can consolidate my Pi Hole onto that and free up a Pi to do something else.

But then I also like the idea of just going with the dream machine because then it can also do the interface for the unifi aps (I run a docker container on my nas but it sometimes has issues reconnecting)

Good options to give me things to research and narrow it down!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

The Yonkers MC is a pain to get to without a car, also a pain if you have one as you have go up the full length of like 2-3 parking levels just to get to it.

Cheapest 8 port switch they have is the Netgear ProSafe Plus GS108E for $65..

For $24 more you could get the TPLink Jetstream with four PoE ports.. those come in handy if you need to put up APs in locations where it's hard to run a wall wart.

NetGear tends to be better quality, an old GS103 5 port that I bought in like, 2017? is still going strong as part of a home install I did for a friend who hosed off to Michigan.

I’m a little confused by this?

I do have a car and live in the Bronx so I’m able to get there. It’s also kinda weird to discourage someone from going to a store because they have to drive up two flights (of a frankly pretty small) parking garage. Especially one of the defacto best computer hardware chains. I was heading there anywhere for a Pi and wanted to get it done in one shot. Just posted the location for stock verification.

They had plenty of switches under $25.

THF13 posted:

The Yonkers Microcenter has 25+ of "TP-LINK TL-SG108 8-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Desktop Switch" in stock for $19.99 each
https://www.microcenter.com/product/414582/tp-link-tl-sg108-8-port-10-100-1000-gigabit-desktop-switch

I had already set my eye on this one, and your post confirmed it right as I pulled into the lot. Thanks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rescue Toaster posted:

bleh, back to assigning static IPs for every mac address then I guess and have to make sure IP source guard is working right on the switch.

Honestly, take a step back and remember what you are setting up. It sounds like you are running a neat "secure" network, but using a lot of features that are questionable in a residential setup. At least in regards of necessity.
IPSG is mostly a protection against physical attackers, but I guess you are worried about a hacked device trying to do spoofing and escaping it's confinement?
The way your IoT network should be set up, this shouldn't matter. The compromised device would still be restricted to the IoT VLAN and worst case it impersonates one of your AWS devices and is suddenly able to talk to a few more internet locations. So what? You worried it will start running attacks?
Like man, you seem to have got your poo poo locked down tight, few companies can match that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I, for one, look forward to the crush of goons asking how they can isolate their Roombas now that Amazon has bought them.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

While I agree IPSG is excessive for a home network, it would take just a few minutes to set up DHCP reservations in *sense.

I do it anyways just to make it easier to troubleshoot in the future.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I’m a little confused by this?

I do have a car and live in the Bronx so I’m able to get there. It’s also kinda weird to discourage someone from going to a store because they have to drive up two flights (of a frankly pretty small) parking garage. Especially one of the defacto best computer hardware chains. I was heading there anywhere for a Pi and wanted to get it done in one shot. Just posted the location for stock verification.

They had plenty of switches under $25.

I had already set my eye on this one, and your post confirmed it right as I pulled into the lot. Thanks.

Wasn't trying to discourage you, just trying to make you aware of the conditions there. I don't have a car and it's a pain trying to get there via mass transit. Plus I am a :corsair:

Ok, thought you were looking for a managed switch, not an unmanaged one.

Yeah, ever since CompUSA went under, MC has pretty much been one of the only B&M chains to carry a decent amount of computer stuff, at least from a hobbyist point of view. Especially in the Tri-State area..

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Cyks posted:

While I agree IPSG is excessive for a home network, it would take just a few minutes to set up DHCP reservations in *sense.

I do it anyways just to make it easier to troubleshoot in the future.

The DHCP server on my L3 switch doesn't record some of the fields that others do so you really can't see anything other than the MAC when trying to make assignments, and plenty of IoT devices don't have the MAC printed on them so it can be a bit tedious to keep track of every MAC on the network especially when some devices randomize them.

Doing per-device IP filtering without IPSG feels kind of pointless, obviously. Even if it's not a major threat, it's kind of like why bother. My thermostat does actually have a microphone in it, so I like keeping that on a whitelisted network. So if I can't move these other devices to that network I'll end up just leaving them on regular 'guest' wifi. Configuration granularity has become an issue. How many SSIDs and passwords and VLANs & ACLs do I want to actually deal with. Since every device is just a little different, and ideally every device lives on the most restricted network it can, it's just a question of how many degrees of that I want to deal with. I will say I'm glad I switched to a real switch with a flat text configuration file, I'll never go back to switches with god awful GUIs again.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 6, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Finally joined the Fighting With IPv6 club. The router from my IP doesn't allow changing the DNS. For IPv4 that's not a problem; with my Pi-Hole taking DHCP duties. I haven't yet figured out how to do the same with IPv6. DHCPv6 seems not to be universal, and while the Pi-Hole can take over slaac-ra duties but then that tries to route all traffic to the i-hole instead of the router.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I have a small apartment but it's got a right angle in it that bends around a stairwell, and my wifi will intermittently drop the connection on the opposite side of the apartment even being just a couple dozen feet from the router. My router is this old thing, a Buffalo WZR-300HP which the highest wireless standard it supports is 802.11n. Would a newer router have a stronger enough signal that it could probably work across the apartment, or should I try and buy a mesh thing and/or hassle with running a long cable along the wall to put the router in a better location?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

I have a small apartment but it's got a right angle in it that bends around a stairwell, and my wifi will intermittently drop the connection on the opposite side of the apartment even being just a couple dozen feet from the router. My router is this old thing, a Buffalo WZR-300HP which the highest wireless standard it supports is 802.11n. Would a newer router have a stronger enough signal that it could probably work across the apartment, or should I try and buy a mesh thing and/or hassle with running a long cable along the wall to put the router in a better location?

I don’t have a specific recommendation, but I would probably buy a mesh compatible router and see if it solves.

If it doesn’t, you could add a node in the stairwell, then one where the WiFi is weak in line of sight of the stairwell one.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I don’t have a specific recommendation, but I would probably buy a mesh compatible router and see if it solves.

If it doesn’t, you could add a node in the stairwell, then one where the WiFi is weak in line of sight of the stairwell one.

Thanks. How do you tell if a standalone router would be compatible with running a mesh setup with a separately-bought node? Is that part of a certain standard?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shear Modulus posted:

Thanks. How do you tell if a standalone router would be compatible with running a mesh setup with a separately-bought node? Is that part of a certain standard?

Most mesh systems aren't standardized. I'd probably get an ASUS if you might need mesh networking in the future, they have a setup where their routers can be switched to their AiMesh system (just a marketing name, not a standard or related to artificial intelligence at all) to make them access points. Something like this is overkill for an apartment but it should have better coverage than your old router and it supports wifi 6 which is the new hotness.
https://smile.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX3000-802-11ax-Lifetime-Whole-Home/dp/B084BNH26P/

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

You buy a router that supports mesh.

Then if you need it, you buy mesh nodes separately (think access points but better) from the same set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I went down the Ubiquiti rabbit hole and watched a bunch of videos on the UDM Pro/SE and it looks like a really neat router solution. A little expensive and perhaps the pfSense option would be more flexible but probably mostly in ways I don't care about. I'd like to expand my ubiquiti APs and possibly get some cameras when they become available again. Any down sides other than the cost ($499) to going with the UDM Pro SE?