Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Hooray. Doing nothing is my favorite solution! Good idea on the paste wax - I think that will work great.

Just to add to what others said: that was basically designed to split. To put it another way, the design did not allow for shrinkage/expansion of the wood as moisture changes, and that forced the wood to split apart. Either that or it was not an appropriate glue for this application. What I'm getting at is, even if you glued it up, as the wood re-hydrated it could buckle, or it could split again the next time it dries. So that's another vote for not trying to re-glue the wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Fill it with aquamarine color epoxy and make a little river in there

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Calidus posted:

Does this joint have a special name? https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf_3z49j2sL/

I'd probably call it something like a saddle-wedge-locked tusk tenon, but I've never seen it before and don't have any specialty knowledge for the name outside of knowing a bunch of words for poo poo.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

Fill it with aquamarine color epoxy and make a little river in there

Wouldn't that cause it to buckle still when it rehydrated?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

stabbington posted:

I'd probably call it something like a saddle-wedge-locked tusk tenon, but I've never seen it before and don't have any specialty knowledge for the name outside of knowing a bunch of words for poo poo.

He calls them tusk wedges, this super cool and something I would totally screw up lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgJ9gacDmR-/

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Calidus posted:

He calls them tusk wedges, this super cool and something I would totally screw up lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgJ9gacDmR-/

This seems so much slower than just a regular tusked tenon

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's almost a rule for woodworking stuff on the internet, especially the Instagram and Youtube variety. Visual appeal is what gets you the likes/views, and if you have to come up with an odd variety on a style of joint, so be it. Long term stability and sensibility of manufacture are not a point of consideration. Actual woodworkers aren't the target audience unless it's some sponsored doodad they're pushing.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
It also seems reasonable to perform joinery that's a little more involved if it adds visual interest but that chair thing is hideous.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SimonSays posted:

This seems so much slower than just a regular tusked tenon

Slower and less functional! That big wooden staple will just disintegrate and release the joint under literally any stress

Instagram is absolutely flooded right now with these accounts that churn out, basically, ragebait instructional videos of someone resting a car on their knee rather than use a jack to change a tire or mixing marshmallow fluff and shaving cream for a healthy summer treat, because I guess 500 angry comments about how terrible an idea that is counts as "engagement"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 1, 2022

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
It looks like something from a parallel timeline where tusked tenons evolved very slightly differently.

I've never seen someone use a jointer like that and I don't have one myself but seems... Like there's a better way. Especially if you're doing it 8 times in a row.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Serenade posted:

It looks like something from a parallel timeline where tusked tenons evolved very slightly differently.

I've never seen someone use a jointer like that and I don't have one myself but seems... Like there's a better way. Especially if you're doing it 8 times in a row.

he's got a bandsaw right there. He uses it in the video!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Finished (no pun intended) my project!

First hand tool project and first ever piece of furniture.

It will eventually be a coffee bar in the kitchen, but for now I have to give the finish time to cure so it's a sofa table.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's really gorgeous! Congrats, Enigma. Must have been a lot of work.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Slower and less functional! That big wooden staple will just disintegrate and release the joint under literally any stress

Instagram is absolutely flooded right now with these accounts that churn out, basically, ragebait instructional videos of someone resting a car on their knee rather than use a jack to change a tire or mixing marshmallow fluff and shaving cream for a healthy summer treat, because I guess 500 angry comments about how terrible an idea that is counts as "engagement"

Oh yeah, it's walnut, too, it'll just shatter.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Leperflesh posted:

That's really gorgeous! Congrats, Enigma. Must have been a lot of work.

Thanks!

It was a ton of work, though probably half of that was me being a novice.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Enigma posted:

It will eventually be a coffee bar in the kitchen, but for now I have to give the finish time to cure so it's a sofa table.

I really love the contrast and the walnut looks really nice with the color of your couch.

Now you’ll have to make a sofa table.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Enigma posted:

That's really sharp. It's gonna look great as a coffee bar.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My friend made this chair on a whim

Mix of new and reclaimed pallet wood. I loving love it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I never knew I wanted something so bad before. Guess hedonismbot is going to have to be my next project.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
That's a work of art.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can anyone share some photos and/or tips of light stain on high quality (Menards calls it "select") pine? I've seen way too many examples of stuff built out of dimensional lumber and then stained with the darkest stain imaginable and it just looks like absolute garbage.

The select pine doesn't have the huge ugly knots that suck up all the stain like dimensional lumber, but it'd be nice to have some reassurance. I don't have the tools to be using anything but S4S wood right now, and not enough skill yet to try anything more expensive than fancy pine anyways.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FISHMANPET posted:

Can anyone share some photos and/or tips of light stain on high quality (Menards calls it "select") pine? I've seen way too many examples of stuff built out of dimensional lumber and then stained with the darkest stain imaginable and it just looks like absolute garbage.

The select pine doesn't have the huge ugly knots that suck up all the stain like dimensional lumber, but it'd be nice to have some reassurance. I don't have the tools to be using anything but S4S wood right now, and not enough skill yet to try anything more expensive than fancy pine anyways.

I did the Steve Ramsey coffee table with it (at my Home Depot at least, the "select pine" is radiata pine from NZ) and put Minwax Golden Oak on it plus 7 or 8 coats of wipe-on poly.
(The inside of the top is red oak plywood stained with dark walnut Watch Danish oil, and I'm very disappointed with how light it came out, but that's not relevant)

In its spot:

I need to get better at selecting wood for grain patterns.

e: another example, from the same course:

Also Minwax golden oak, this one with water-based spar urethane.

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 4, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Photos can be helpful for picking which stain(s) to buy, but always test your stains on scrap wood anyway. You don't know what the piece will really look like until you see it in its intended location.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I hate refinishing but sometimes the color of old 22" wide walnut boards makes it worth it:

FISHMANPET posted:

It depends a ton on what kind of pine your select pine is. The white pines stain well if blotchily, radiata pine is okay-ish, but yellow pine is really difficult to stain well because the hard growth rings absorb very little stain and the soft rings absorb a ton. Gel stains work better than normal wiping stains, and a pre-stain conditioner or wash coat of shellac helps too. I've had decent luck on yellow pine with alcohol based dyes, which for whatever reason seem to work better than water or oil based dye. Putting the color in the film helps a lot too-a little dye in some shellac works well to get the color you want, and then put whatever topcoat you want over that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I hate refinishing but sometimes the color of old 22" wide walnut boards makes it worth it:

It depends a ton on what kind of pine your select pine is. The white pines stain well if blotchily, radiata pine is okay-ish, but yellow pine is really difficult to stain well because the hard growth rings absorb very little stain and the soft rings absorb a ton. Gel stains work better than normal wiping stains, and a pre-stain conditioner or wash coat of shellac helps too. I've had decent luck on yellow pine with alcohol based dyes, which for whatever reason seem to work better than water or oil based dye. Putting the color in the film helps a lot too-a little dye in some shellac works well to get the color you want, and then put whatever topcoat you want over that.

Nice walnut. You don't typically see boards like that.

Iirc, the old timer that stained some place that the cabinets & trim had some softwood like yellow pine hit the woodwork with a sanding sealer first to better control that issue with soft and hard grain. That's typically used with solvent based stain/lacquer, so it may not work with an oil based finish.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Enigma posted:

One day, I will get here.

One day...

:smith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've been getting actual loving work done on my never-ending trellis project, which is now a never-ending wall-mounted pergola thingy project, and it's at that point now where the goal moves farther and farther away the more I do. For every one step I get done, two more pop up in their place and it is maddening.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FISHMANPET posted:

Here are an art desk and toy box I made for my kids a few years back when I was at your stage of learning, using the HD "select" pine boards, finished in (I think) Minwax Ipswich Pine. Toy box panels are, of course, 1/4" plywood underlayment.

And for good measure, here's a stereo/TV cabinet I made using HD 1x "common" pine boards and the darkest stain imaginable to hide my shame from before I had skills and much idea of how anything was supposed to be done:

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

And for good measure, here's a stereo/TV cabinet I made using HD 1x "common" pine boards and the darkest stain imaginable to hide my shame from before I had skills and much idea of how anything was supposed to be done:

Using HD pine and slapping the darkest stain on is a rite of passage for woodworking.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I. M. Gei posted:

One day, I will get here.

One day...

:smith:

I had virtually zero experience working wood prior to 8 months ago, so its not as far off as you think.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
They can't all be winners. Getting some terrible tear out on a chunk of flame maple.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Another question. I'm going to try my hand at some baby stuff (toys, mobiles, etc) as a way to teach myself some basic woodworking. I've got some chunky pieces of scrap wood (ignore the plywood in the background) that came with our house when we got it, but I'm a bit worried about it for baby stuff because I don't know if it was pressure treated or otherwise made poisonous in one way or another. Is there any good way to tell without a label or knowing directly the source?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Short of sending sample bits off to a lab, the best I feel like you can do at home is guess, which is not something I would personally be comfortable doing. Almost certainly better to buy fresh lumber of known provenance for any projects where potential material safety is a concern and save the mystery chunks for shop furniture.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lost Art Press is having a sale: https://lostartpress.com/collections/august-7-31-sale

Stuff on sale that I have read and recommend:
The entire "Anarchist" line
Shaker Inspiration
The Hayward collection is great, though weirdly only one book is on sale

In other news...

Left: January.
Right: Yesterday.

Sweat city over here. Love you, Minnesota.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Recall on some Dewalt miter saws:

https://www.dewalt.com/miter-saw-recall

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

ColdPie posted:

Lost Art Press is having a sale: https://lostartpress.com/collections/august-7-31-sale

Shaker Inspiration

In other news...

Left: January.
Right: Yesterday.

Sweat city over here. Love you, Minnesota.

Hell.

Also with regards to the LAP sale: even though I haven't (yet?) done anything with it due to the fact that getting green wood bigger than a small branch is seemingly impossible where I live, Make A Chair From A Tree is mighty interesting. The Intelligent Hand is also one I enjoyed reading.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

Shaker Inspiration

Thanks for sharing this.

I find it really funny that Chris Schwartz, who really made a name for himself by being the guy who told us to throw away all our unitasker woodworker gadgets, to free ourselves from the woodworking stuff industry and embrace a minimal approach to woodworking tools, is now selling very expensive center finding jigs that anyone with a tiny bit of woodworking skill could make themselves out of scrap in 15
minutes.

E: To be clear, I love the guy and think he's had a huge and positive influence on the woodworking world in the past decade or so, but I can't help but laugh.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

ColdPie posted:

Shaker Inspiration

I wish they would ship to Canada.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Not as fun as thumbing through a physical copy but I think you can get all the books as PDFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

revtoiletduck posted:

I wish they would ship to Canada.

Unfortunately you won’t benefit from the sale, but Lee Valley sells LAP books.