Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Penguin Patrol posted:

for anyone who wants to see it:
:nws:

:nws:

What does this have to do with anything and why is it censored???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
just a stupid joke about names, thank goodness i didn't snipe the page with it :sweatdrop:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Well, it's still on top of the page and I'm not ashamed.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

For God knows what reason I decided to scroll down and read some comments on an article with some Tony Khan quotes about WWE(which were largely reasonable and sportsmanlike, but that doesn't matter) and of course it was a cesspool. This poo poo jumped out at me though lol

I just cannot imagine uncritically adopting the idea that the mythical casual is someone who demands long-term booking(which AEW absolutely does, but for argument's sake), which is something you need to watch regularly to appreciate, but the stupid smarks just love flips and cheap pops and killing the business despite watching all the time and having seen all that stuff before

Especially funny to me personally because I convinced my cousin(who hasn't followed wrestling since we were teenagers 2 decades ago) to watch Forbidden Door with his wife very easily just by saying "well it's a big supershow where a US promotion and a Japanese promotion are going to fight each other" and they both loved the poo poo out of it, but it's been difficult-to-impossible to convince him to watch Dynamite weekly because he's got other poo poo to do and just wants to see wild PPV poo poo and doesn't feel like watching builds

e: also big lol at "Starks is a natural heel" like at least pretend to watch the thing you're talking poo poo about

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
casuals will only start watching when every complaint I have is addressed. i may spend every moment of my life posting online about pro wrestling, and have constructed a personality entirely around hating people who actually enjoy pro wrestling, but that just makes me The Most Casual Viewer.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I too wish the Hobbs turn had played out for a month so instead of being shocking and a genuine surprise it was so telegraphed that we got bored waiting for it to finally happen.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
"Disco Inferno said..." isn't the argument ender they think it is.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hammond Egger posted:

I too wish the Hobbs turn had played out for a month so instead of being shocking and a genuine surprise it was so telegraphed that we got bored waiting for it to finally happen.

Also Hobbs has been clearly getting sick of Ricky losing when it counts.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Testekill posted:

Yeah that's the other thing, if you've been paying attention there were hints being dropped about this for at least a month. And anything more protracted would have inevitably drawn critical comparisons with Wardlow. Of all the angles to complain about, picking one that was timed to perfection and logical while maintaining a strong shock factor really betrays the bad faith these knuckleheads are arguing in.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to wrestle a sausage?

I'm sorry I caused a weird tangent. I didn't notice how this post sounded until well afterwards.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Some people without a developed theory of mind confuse "I didn't know this was going to happen" with "this wasn't built up at all"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Testekill posted:

For me, the only "out of nowhere"-ish aspect of Hobbs turning on Ricky was that Taz wasn't involved, based on him getting frustrated with Ricky calling out challengers for another match.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The fabled casual viewer was someone like my mom who would sometimes watch if my dad and I were watching it and occasionally go to shows but didnt think about wrestling if it wasnt immediately in front of her. She knew the name of a handful of wrestlers she liked

the wwe fans think a casual viewer is....what exactly

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
They think it's someone that hates flips. Which is wrong because my partner has no interest in wrestling but loves the Lucha Bros and Young Bucks.

Also it's someone that hates storytelling through matches and wrestlers that "nobody knows". These casual fans want moments and stars.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Casual fans love 20 minute monologues from people they’ve heard about in coffee shops

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The times where I've been able to capture the interest of a casual fan have always been Cool poo poo.

Orange Cassidy wrestling with his hands in his pockets? Cool poo poo.
Young Bucks doing a thumbtack superkick? Cool poo poo.
Kenoh setting his leg on fire and then kicking The Great Muta? You'd best believe that's Cool poo poo.

Character and stuff come later, but the quickest visual hook is still spectacle.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

History Comes Inside! posted:

Casual fans love 20 minute monologues from people they’ve heard about in coffee shops

The only wrestling gifs I share in the slack I’m in with some old friends are of promos and backstage segments and not at all ones of Bandido orbiting Black Taurus like a moon that got too close to its planet and things of that nature.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lamuella posted:

The times where I've been able to capture the interest of a casual fan have always been Cool poo poo.

Orange Cassidy wrestling with his hands in his pockets? Cool poo poo.
Young Bucks doing a thumbtack superkick? Cool poo poo.
Kenoh setting his leg on fire and then kicking The Great Muta? You'd best believe that's Cool poo poo.

Character and stuff come later, but the quickest visual hook is still spectacle.

My big sisters favourite wrestler for the longest time was Goldust because he was a gold and black weirdo. Now her fave is Dalton Castle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I love Claudio because he happily swings people around and uppercuts them into orbit. That's cool.

I love Mox because he'll do something cool that looks painful and will say a swear, like butt or darn. That's cool.

I love ZSJ and Bryan Danielson because they'll fold some poor fucker up to look like a pretzel, and Zack in particular will probably talk poo poo about the Tories. That's cool.

I love Okada because he has a cool clothesline as a finisher and makes it rain money. That's cool.

I love Penta Oscuro because he's all like Ciero Miedo! and stuff. That's cool.

I love Rey Fenix Jr because he does cool flips and poo poo. That's cool.

I love PAC because he's an angry goblin man. That's cool.

I love Jade Cargill because she's all like "I'll kick your rear end" and does exactly that. That's cool.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

The fabled casual viewer was someone like my mom who would sometimes watch if my dad and I were watching it and occasionally go to shows but didnt think about wrestling if it wasnt immediately in front of her. She knew the name of a handful of wrestlers she liked

the wwe fans think a casual viewer is....what exactly

It's a cargo cult where everyone agrees that if they got rid of all the stuff the people who like wrestling like than it'll suddenly become 1998 again and wrestling will be mainstream popular, rather than just accept that wrestling was a fad for three years and everyone moved on.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
For years I didn't really know wrestling existed beyond being something dumb giant babies watched. And I was correct, except a few years after that AEW was invented for intellectual dumb giant babies, with added cool stuff.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I was literally showing a friend of mine the DVD spot from the Toru Yano vs Tom Lawlor match from yesterday and she loved it. I then proceded to show her clips of OC vs PAC, Minoru Suzuki vs Sanshiro Takagi in the baseball stadium match, and the Ricky Starks and Nick Jackson simultaneous rope walk spot from the tag match a few weeks back. She loved all of them.

I know for a fact she wouldn't feel the same about a long rambly promo, although I reckon she'd enjoy an Eddie Kingston one.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

casuals will only start watching when every complaint I have is addressed. i may spend every moment of my life posting online about pro wrestling, and have constructed a personality entirely around hating people who actually enjoy pro wrestling, but that just makes me The Most Casual Viewer.

Hahaha perfect

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

Casual fans love 20 minute monologues from people they’ve heard about in coffee shopsfrom some guy bursting into a crowded gym or yelling off a mall balcony to ask if they've ever heard of a WWE wrestler, then asking if they've ever heard of an AEW wrestler

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/phenom_13/status/1554529971397283840

https://twitter.com/eightyseven__/status/1554613464693235712

https://twitter.com/phenom_13/status/1554691225663311872

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't think that person knows how excursion works

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:chloe:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I can believe that a guy who is under contract to a promotion in Japan who is currently on excursion in the US who has the look and the size and the in-ring talent to back it up who is getting a lot of high profile matches and people are calling the future of the business is not on anyone's radar.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
When he said "no one else" he meant WWE

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
there is absolutely no way trips is not trying to scout takeshita. they would be dumb as hell to not try to put out feelers. the issue is people think WWE can just sign whoever they want instantly and everyone would be happy to go. so if they're not already in WWE, WWE doesn't want them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean it's not a coincidence that WWE got the DDT roster their visas when they came over for WM weekend...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Takeshita on AEW and indie shows. WWE fans: I don't know who is this jobber"
Takeshita signs with WWE. WWE fans: "Akira Takumi has always been a great sports ennertainer, well known around the WWE universe and other companies I fail to name"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Takeshita on AEW and indie shows. WWE fans: I don't know who is this jobber"
Takeshita signs with WWE. WWE fans: "Akira Takumi has always been a great sports ennertainer, well known around the WWE universe and other companies I fail to name"

Akira Takumi is too normal a fake name for WWE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/WrestlingIsKing/status/1554783459213811713

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Perfect

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
that is art.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/B4Bayley1991/status/1554701063302926338

now THIS is revisionism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Everyone will forget about the Hardys run in a few... now. But Tony now has him doing an awesome swanton bomb on the concourse in their tape library!

The one person who benefits most from Jeff leaving? Nyla, because she'd added a swanton to her moveset shortly before Jeff signed up.

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1501745987802574848