Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wolfsbane posted:

From talking to some German friends, the default story is "got shipped to the Eastern Front, captured without firing a shot, spent the war in a PoW camp". Which is probably the modal experience but it's suspiciously common.

Well, probably the modal experience for soldiers who lived to tell the tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen a lot of the "second wave" leftist youtubers comment about how there is a growing far right, dick sad fuelled ecosystem on tiktok and stuff as well, so I don't think it's purely the guardian making it up.

Unfortunately dick sad is probably one of the most powerful political forces out there because it is a driving force in a massive amount of culture war poo poo and that's the main thing people seem to turn out for the right for these days.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

why in the flying gently caress would it be necessary to flood a place to build a reservoir in the lake district

you can't go five feet without falling into one and if you look up with your mouth open you have a 50% risk of drowning.

OP is getting mixed up, it's Derwent Village in the peak district that was flooded to make way for Ladybower Reservoir.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Guavanaut posted:

Incel is right wing in the same way as many flavours of Christian nationalism and Islamic extremism and Toby Young Thought etc. are in that it 90% boils down to 'feminism and social liberalism make my dick sad'.

The internets explosives manuals are usually neither ideological nor useful, so that's more the distraction bit.

I enjoyed the subtle Thatcher reference from the terror cop though.

As a high school teacher, we had an after school training session last school year about incels and red pilling. It was added to the list of PSHE topics that we should be aware of and cover with our students. A mention being https://safeguarding.network/content/responding-to-the-incel-ideology/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wolfsbane posted:

From talking to some German friends, the default story is "got shipped to the Eastern Front, captured without firing a shot, spent the war in a PoW camp". Which is probably the modal experience but it's suspiciously common.

My German manager got a shock about his Grandfather a few years ago.
He never talked about the war, and when he died they were clearing out his house and found his SS uniform and handgun hidden all those years.
They gave it to some local WW2 museum.

I work with a lot of Germans, and they really don't want to talk about what their families did pre-unification too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

domhal posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/03/revealed-uk-children-ensnared-far-right-ecosystem-online

etc etc etc quelle surprise

Pet insane theory: The Guardian have put this out now to discredit Sunak's Prevent ideas, thinking that special boy Kier Starmer will look better against Truss.

Honestly I find this kind of article kind of sadly hilarious because if far right talking points are basically normalised from mainstream politicians and on the front pages of tabloids then yeah, of course it's going to be easy for the far right to to radicalise people. If you can watch the BBC news or question time for five minutes and get slogans that wouldn't be out of place from neo-nazi groups then welp, maybe they're being introduced to things before they even get to internet chatrooms.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The weirdest thing I've seen on twitter this week and I've seen people suggest Jack Monroe should sue someone for libel for... reposting Jack Monroe's tweets.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

clearly these are the same

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

AceClown posted:

OP is getting mixed up, it's Derwent Village in the peak district that was flooded to make way for Ladybower Reservoir.

There are man-made reservoirs in the Lake District though, Haweswater and Thirlmere :eng101:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
in lighter(?) news,
https://twitter.com/iain_games/status/1554750332240105473

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can't believe she'd do Fred dirty like that. Just shows some never reform.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

We have such British serial killers here in Britain. Maybe it's just a selection bias of who gets caught. Very different material conditions to the US with all their cannibals and necrophiles and stuff.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
It's over.... ECHR rejects last-chance appeal to prolong life support

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Brendan Rodgers posted:

We have such British serial killers here in Britain. Maybe it's just a selection bias of who gets caught. Very different material conditions to the US with all their cannibals and necrophiles and stuff.

don't really want to get into it but rose west is easily up there with the worst of the worst in the US; there's a lot from the case that never really made it into the national consciousness and i guess with good reason

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

The Question IRL posted:

I saw this on Twitter. I had never heard of this before?

Does it mean anything to the Welsh/Liverpool people here?

https://twitter.com/cymrogav/status/1554398527270359040?s=20&t=2OxTvunclM4V9F2Pk4XYtw

I actually drove past that sign earlier today.

I live in North Wales, and it's still a very contentious issue. My class did a history project on it in secondary school, and I went to college with someone who's father had a criminal conviction for trying to blow the reservoir up as it was being built. The sign itself has become the most popular piece of Welsh nationalist iconography, especially over the past few years representing disquiet over lockdown tourism and the massive explosion of holiday homes in rural communities (I'm genuinely surprised that no holiday homes actually have exploded). I see it on bumper stickers all the time, and it's painted on at least five walls within a mile of me.

As an interesting extra, the birthplace of the I.R.A. is a few miles down the road. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frongoch_internment_camp

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Rustybear posted:

don't really want to get into it but rose west is easily up there with the worst of the worst in the US; there's a lot from the case that never really made it into the national consciousness and i guess with good reason

like what

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a lot of rape and torture

the wikipedia page is a very dark read

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

dude im not posting this as titillation, go look it up if you're interested.

the police had a social worker act as fred west's appropriate adult during his questioning because he was functionally illiterate and the gravity of what she heard weighed on her so heavily she had a stress-induced stroke age 39

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm sorry for starting that conversation my bad, let's not continue it.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Rustybear posted:

dude im not posting this as titillation

What are you trying to say here? What are you alledging?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen a lot of the "second wave" leftist youtubers comment about how there is a growing far right, dick sad fuelled ecosystem on tiktok and stuff as well, so I don't think it's purely the guardian making it up.

Unfortunately dick sad is probably one of the most powerful political forces out there because it is a driving force in a massive amount of culture war poo poo and that's the main thing people seem to turn out for the right for these days.

If you look at the survey data from NATSAL, more men aren't getting into any sexual activities in their teens or later (and women too but less so) and the amount of reported sexual activity amount the young has dropped. This matches well with teenage pregnancy rates dropping off a cliff.

There is undoubtedly a massive shift in how young people express and explore sexuality happening, and a subset of men seem to taking it hardest. What exactly the causes are, and what if any response should happen, is a different matter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sure and I think it's also coinciding with stuff actually getting better, better LGBTQIA+ acceptance among younger kids, I would like to think better sex ed either formally or informally. But it does still suck that there's apparently a specific subset of kids who are going off the deep end. I really did hope that my lot would be the last cohort to have the confluence of lovely ideas drilled into us by media and parenting, fetching up against a deserved liberation movement fighting against those.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There is undoubtedly a massive shift in how young people express and explore sexuality happening, and a subset of men seem to taking it hardest.
Yeah but it's not the power bottoms who are turning incel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OwlFancier posted:

Oh sure and I think it's also coinciding with stuff actually getting better,

Don’t worry, the Tories will make the term ‘vilifying Britain’ include such things as ‘not being straight’ or ‘not being white’ soon!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1554918015828901889?t=yzGlGqVAPVdykA1jb1Nowg&s=19

So I guess maybe Burnham and Nandy might be joining forces?

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that no holiday homes actually have exploded

My godmother's brother did time for blowing up holiday homes in the 70s.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

What are you trying to say here? What are you alledging?

That what the Wests did is really loving grim & the details, which aren't secret & you can google if you so require, are grizzly & probably worse than what's in the general public consciousness about bodies buried under the patio.

What's not to understand here?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

That what the Wests did is really loving grim & the details, which aren't secret & you can google if you so require, are grizzly & probably worse than what's in the general public consciousness about bodies buried under the patio.

Why are you so hostile my friend, i only asked s question

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Ash Crimson is deeply, deeply stupid. Just assume they don't understand anything and move on.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Ash Crimson is deeply, deeply stupid. Just assume they don't understand anything and move on.

No i am not stupid

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Soylent Yellow posted:

I actually drove past that sign earlier today.

I live in North Wales, and it's still a very contentious issue. My class did a history project on it in secondary school, and I went to college with someone who's father had a criminal conviction for trying to blow the reservoir up as it was being built. The sign itself has become the most popular piece of Welsh nationalist iconography, especially over the past few years representing disquiet over lockdown tourism and the massive explosion of holiday homes in rural communities (I'm genuinely surprised that no holiday homes actually have exploded). I see it on bumper stickers all the time, and it's painted on at least five walls within a mile of me.

As an interesting extra, the birthplace of the I.R.A. is a few miles down the road. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frongoch_internment_camp

I use Meibion Glyndŵr (responsible for setting fire to English-owned holiday homes in Wales from 1979 to the mid-1990s) as my go-to example to those of my acquaintances who claim all terrorists are muslim. I just looked them up on the wiki and seems a Plaid Cymru MP thought they might be an MI5 operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meibion_Glynd%C5%B5r

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I use Meibion Glyndŵr (responsible for setting fire to English-owned holiday homes in Wales from 1979 to the mid-1990s) as my go-to example to those of my acquaintances who claim all terrorists are muslim. I just looked them up on the wiki and seems a Plaid Cymru MP thought they might be an MI5 operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meibion_Glynd%C5%B5r

I'm an English immigrant (at the age of 6) who's gone seriously native. I remember going back to the Midlands to visit relatives in the late 80s and wondering if our house would still be there when we got back.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ash Crimson posted:

No i am not stupid

lmao. also lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

C'mon, now, doing your obnoxious just-asking-questions schtick to get a rise out of people over the crimes of actual loving serial killers is pretty low.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

Using the word loving in a sentence isn't actually a sign of hostility OP. I answered your question.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i never see ladybirds about these days

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

Nor do I now you mention it

I have a lot more luck with interesting birds here, but not a lot of bugs

I'm travelling thru the night tonight, comrades. I've got caffeine pills and some beers, one to keep me up, the other to keep me pleasant

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

crispix posted:

Don't let the terfs hear this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

It's the wokes, they have called them racist, from all those books they were on in the 70s about the various peoples of the world and why they should be happy to have once been ruled by Britain.